The Trial/City Rolls Over Thread

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

lou4gehrig
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: The Trial/City Rolls Over Thread 

Post#181 » by lou4gehrig » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:47 am

Bulltalk wrote:I'm so disgusted I barely have words. I always knew this outcome was a good possibility, but just the same, I thought sanity would prevail in the end. Why not promise OKC a new NBA team, and have Bennet sell the team back to local ownership? Seattle is like the capitol of the entire northwest region of North America.

Stern is a foul human being.

Isn't this going to be decided in the Schultz lawsuit? Bennett owns the team. How can a judge or Stern or God automatically give it to another ownership group?
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#182 » by Bulltalk » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:52 am

lou4gehrig wrote:So does everybody who is saying the "city sold out or rolled over" that this lawsuit wasn't about where the Sonics would play permanently? It was only for two years and then they move to OKC anyways? Then Seattle would have had 0% chance of getting a team beyond 2010.

At least this is a chance they get a team long-term. It might be a remote chance, but it's a better chance than last week.

I'm not sure what everybody is complaining about? The Sonics were leaving no matter what. And I live in Seattle. I think the outcome was fair. The Seattle Center is going to get renovated if not for basketball, for other things (maybe the NHL).

You have to look at how many unstable franchises there are in the NBA. New Orleans, Memphis, Charlotte, etc. all come to mind. Don't think there isn't a chance a team could move here.

What we're complaining about??? Are you effing nuts, or something??? The fact that Seattle is leaving the NBA for OKC is a testament to a league and a commisioner who are beyond words to describe how low and deceitful, and, I believe in the end, stupid they are.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#183 » by Sweezo » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:53 am

Ex-hippie wrote:Reluctantly, I have to agree with you. Today's insistence that there was no settlement was the final confirmation that they were full of crap all along. Perhaps they were fed that crap unknowingly by the city; I can't say. Their repeated citations of supposed inside sources that never panned out were already growing tiresome. They did a nice job being vocal and elevating the issue's visibility, but that's about it.

Yeah, they were fed crap. Their sources seemed very solid to me...I think if anything SOS was lied to by people who were attempting many things to keep the Sonics but ultimately mischaracterized the strength of their efforts in order to keep SOS and the following fanbase along for the ride. Brian's a good fan and a good person (can't say that I know Steve)...I feel extremely bad for him now because he was a small business owner with no time for this sort of thing and he invested time and resources he didn't really have to try and do what he could to keep the team here. He worked his ass off.
lou4gehrig
Banned User

Post#184 » by lou4gehrig » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:57 am

Bulltalk wrote:What we're complaining about??? Are you effing nuts, or something??? The fact that Seattle is leaving the NBA for OKC is a testament to a league and a commisioner who are beyond words to describe how low and deceitful, and, I bleieve in the end, stupid.

Well all that bothers me as much as the next Seattlite. I just assumed all that was a forgone conclusion last October. I didn't think there was anything this trial or potential local owners could have done in the short term.

I think the fact that we got something out of it at this point is somewhat hopeful.

If they had stayed two more lame duck seasons, the NBA would have been so pissed as to never even consider returning. Stern at least responded positively to today's developments.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#185 » by Bulltalk » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:59 am

lou4gehrig wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:What we're complaining about??? Are you effing nuts, or something??? The fact that Seattle is leaving the NBA for OKC is a testament to a league and a commisioner who are beyond words to describe how low and deceitful, and, I bleieve in the end, stupid.

Well all that bothers me as much as the next Seattlite. I just assumed all that was a forgone conclusion last October. I didn't think there was anything this trial or potential local owners could have done in the short term.

I think the fact that we got something out of it at this point is somewhat hopeful.

If they had stayed two more lame duck seasons, the NBA would have been so pissed as to never even consider returning. Stern at least responded positively to today's developments.

This is exactly what I mean...this is disgusting..."Stern at least responded positively..." Oh Thank You Mr. Stern.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#186 » by Sweezo » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:00 am

lou4gehrig wrote:Stern at least responded positively to today's developments.

Well...yeah. Another city just bent to his will, furthering his belief that no person or community can stand up to him. His ego was just stroked, and he voiced his appreciation of the supplication.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,661

Post#187 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:00 am

I feel for you guys. This is horrible. I almost hope the OKC franchise is a doomed one because of this. At least while Clay is owning it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#188 » by Dtown84 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:04 am

Piston fan here, I'm not just saddened by your loss it scares the hell out of me to. We've had a class act owner but he's getting older and so is the Palace, the man will have to sell sooner or later. I'd never even consider the Pistons moving but if a 40 year franchise can treat it's fans like trash. why not a 50+?

I really hope you guys get an expansion team (any details if Seattle will keep the name, colors, history?), but if some of you gave up on the NBA I couldn't blame you. Stern and co, looked like complete **** through this entire mess.
McG
Sophomore

Post#189 » by McG » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:11 am

IMPEACH STERN AND ALL THE WASHINGTON GOVERNMENT INVOLVED IN THIS ****
* Educating the underprivileged. *
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#190 » by yearsago » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:12 am

The City bent over for the league.

Plain and simple.

Nickels is the devil, and he flat out lied.
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
Yimmy Yip
Sophomore

Post#191 » by Yimmy Yip » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:15 am

Raps fan here. I remember watching the Sonics when I was a kid and this sucks beyond comprehension. How the hell does a 40 year franchise with deep community roots just up and leave. Why the hell wouldn't the Government toss in some $$$ to fix this years ago. I remember reading that your football and baseball franchises had received government funding. Why not kick in some b-ball love? Bloody grizzles lost there franchise and thats a big city too. Maybe Stern hates the northern west coast. I hope the call them the Oklahoma Pilferers because they stole your franchise.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#192 » by Bulltalk » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:16 am

yearsago wrote:The City bent over for the league.

Plain and simple.

Nickels is the devil, and he flat out lied.

There is no end to the lies and deceits involved in this drama from beginning to end. No end! Has there EVER been a fan base so screwed over by EVERYONE in such a drama? Fans have been screwed before, but by the:

1) old ownership
2) new ownership
3) city government
4) state government
5) the league
6) the commisioner
7) the other owners

Who am I forgetting? What a giant circle jerk.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#193 » by kombayn » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:19 am

I think that the Memphis Grizzlies or the Orlando Magic are the two teams to move. Charlotte just moved, so I think it's out of the question and the political turmoil a New Orleans Hornets would cause. So I suspect in the end the Grizzlies will be the ones to move to Seattle to restart the Sonics franchise. Honestly, that's the team Bennett should have bought in the first place.
McG
Sophomore

Post#194 » by McG » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:21 am

I would like to reiterate that I will be at the WaMu 4th party at Gasworks partaking in the following:

1. Eating/drinking the unlimited amount of free food & alcohol

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...

2. Letting Nickels and ALL of the City Council members in attendance know how much they failed the fans and, on a lighter note, asking them what their future plans are when they are all unemployed come 2009!
* Educating the underprivileged. *
IsiahThomasJr
Banned User

Post#195 » by IsiahThomasJr » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:24 am

My condolences.
"It's so crazy it just might work." - Isiah Thomas
Comet
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#196 » by Comet » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:26 am

Quite a shame this happened. Hopefully the NBA returns to Seattle soon.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#197 » by Bulltalk » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:29 am

I would love to see Michael Moore do a documentary on this. I honestly think it's right up his alley, little guy getting screwed by all the bigwigs. Everything is in place for it, all the usual suspects, and it's about SPORTS, and America loves sports.

I should write to him.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#198 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:31 am

I'm sorry to hear that the Sonics are moving. I'm not even a Sonics fan but I think your team should be able to remain in Seattle. Since the name isn't moving to Oklahoma maybe a new Sonic team can be created. Like in the Cleveland Browns case.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,151

Post#199 » by Diggr14 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:31 am

this is a complete joke that Seattle lost their team to OKC.

Coming from a die hard Bucks fan, you guys deserve a lot better. Your city sold you out too. 75M or not.... it's the principle to keep your team in Seattle not to have it hijacked by some southern schmuck.

Well, good luck guys.... the Bucks wear white and green... youre always welcome to join our fight against the big bad corporate NBA too. We might run into your situation down the road... except our owner seems intent (and in his will) to keep the team in Milw.... but we all know how law works... whoever has the money wins.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#200 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:31 am

Really terrible news. Im a Wolves fan that has watched most of this since the beginning and I have pulled for the Sonics to keep the team here. It has been a mockery, no, a travesty, no, words cannot describe the injustice done here. Stern sat back and let this happen, I cant imagine would it would feel like to lose my team, I dont even live in MInnesota!. Sad sad day. My condolences go out to you and your fellow fans. This is the worst.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball