The Trial/City Rolls Over Thread

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

McG
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: The Trial 

Post#61 » by McG » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:23 pm

Wow this is completely out of nowhere. The only way I see this making any sense (disregarding something in the range of a $100 million buyout) is if the Sonics/NBA were sweating about the ruling today and made a last ditch effort to save at least a little bit of face. I think the NBA had to finally come to terms that Seattle is and forever will be a top market, and offered them some sort of future expansion. Who knows what the terms of this would be (I'd take Memphis no problem) but I'd suppose it's fairly vague and at least 5 years away. Maybe they say we're the next market to get a team, but put no deadline when that may be.
* Educating the underprivileged. *
nwsports253
Junior

Post#62 » by nwsports253 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:25 pm

jenn_gp wrote:
I feel like breaking things right now...this is not fair having to wait.

I will be breaking things.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#63 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:27 pm

^That's why a settlement doesn't make sense...promise of a team or not.

Is it safe to say there is a soul out there in Seattle that is willing to trust David Stern at this point? Why should anyone believe a "promise" of a new team?
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#64 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:29 pm

Check out this post by someone at Sonicscentral:

I just talked to someone at Mayor Nickel’s office ((206) 684-4000) named Shannah (assistant/press person). She guaranteed me that no settlement is in the works and that it will only be the judges ruling today. I asked for her name and told her I would be calling back if there is any kind of settlement and she told me that would be fine and that there is no settlement. I don’t know who to believe.

Call and ask for yourself…

reidster
nwsports253
Junior

Post#65 » by nwsports253 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:30 pm

No NBA fan trusts Stern.
McG
Sophomore

Post#66 » by McG » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:30 pm

If this goes worst case and we lose with not even a flimsy promise from the league we need to start organizing a campaign to get all the idiots in the Seattle and Washington State governments out of office. This thing has been handled the wrong way from just about every side since it started.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#67 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:32 pm

^Absolutely agree with that McG..starting with Christine Gregoire.

I want her head served on a silver platter.
Banana Bandit
Ballboy

Post#68 » by Banana Bandit » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:33 pm

McG wrote:If this goes worst case and we lose with not even a flimsy promise from the league we need to start organizing a campaign to get all the idiots in the Seattle and Washington State governments out of office. This thing has been handled the wrong way from just about every side since it started.

I will kick Mayor Nickels in the face if we lose this team. I don't want an expansion team. I want Kevin Durant.
nwsports253
Junior

Post#69 » by nwsports253 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:35 pm

if the team does leave just wait till Durant and Green oupt after two seasons, then Westbrook the year after, and watch a high draft pick refuse to play there
dre_1614
Junior

Post#70 » by dre_1614 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:36 pm

If we win this, what are the chances we get to keep this team for the long haul?
vegas_runnin_rebel
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by vegas_runnin_rebel » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:36 pm

So what's the concensus--will there be a ruling on the case at 4 PM or does the potential settlement put an end to that?
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#72 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:39 pm

^The settlement would put an end to the ruling.

I'm confused...is there a settlement or not?
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#73 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:41 pm

More than one person has called the Mayor's office with the response of no settlement:
Reidster,

I talked to her too. She told me the same thing. I also called Brunner and he said his confirmation came from the other reporter on the by line. He sounded a bit paniced when I told him City Hall denied a Settlement was done.
Banana Bandit
Ballboy

Post#74 » by Banana Bandit » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:45 pm

Just about 15 minutes left until we find out the judge's ruling...if that even matters any more. Who knows at this point.
Banana Bandit
Ballboy

Post#75 » by Banana Bandit » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:48 pm

Seattle Times is reporting that Schultz is not dropping his lawsuit against Bennett as part of the settlement. WTF is going on!!
McG
Sophomore

Post#76 » by McG » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:53 pm

Banana Bandit wrote:I will kick Mayor Nickels in the face if we lose this team. I don't want an expansion team. I want Kevin Durant.

Nickels should at the WaMu Family 4th at Gasworks this Friday and I will either be congratulating him on securing us a franchise or heckling him louder than the boom of the fireworks.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#77 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:53 pm

^Link?

Like I posted, people from Sonicscentral have called the Mayor's Office and were told there is no settlement. The only people who are reporting a settlement are OKC and Seattle media. I've looked on national media websites like espn.com, cbssportsline.com, foxsports.com and NOTHING, NOTHING is there about a settlement. Even the Seattle reports are using the OKC paper as a source.

If part of the settlement is that Schultz isn't dropping his suit, it sounds like the city just accepted a cash settlement and they felt like they were going to lose the battle against Clay. GUTLESS WONDERS!
HeavyP
Starter

Post#78 » by HeavyP » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:53 pm

So I have a problem and im hoping someone on the boards will help me. Ive moved to cheney and i dont have tv or internet. Im posting this from my phone (after about ten tries or so) so if ANYONE can call me or text me with what happens when we know for sure I would be forever grateful. I may be heading to the gym to let off some steam so if I dont answer if you could leave a message.

I took his number down because I didn't want people to abuse it...as trolls are known to do. Either I'll give him a call or I'll pass the number on to someone else if they want it.
Banana Bandit
Ballboy

Post#79 » by Banana Bandit » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:55 pm

jenn_gp wrote:^Link?

Like I posted, people from Sonicscentral have called the Mayor's Office and were told there is no settlement. The only people who are reporting a settlement are OKC and Seattle media. I've looked on national media websites like espn.com, cbssportsline.com, foxsports.com and NOTHING, NOTHING is there about a settlement. Even the Seattle reports are using the OKC paper as a source.

If part of the settlement is that Schultz isn't dropping his suit, it sounds like the city just accepted a cash settlement and they felt like they were going to lose the battle against Clay. GUTLESS WONDERS!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008030229_sonitrial02.html

It's at the bottom of the page.

Former Sonics owner and Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz will not drop his lawsuit against Bennett as part of the settlement, said two sources familiar with the deal.

Schultz' suit alleges that Bennett broke a promise to try to keep the Sonics in Seattle.

Schultz wants a court to transfer the Sonics to local ownership.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#80 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:57 pm

^KJR saying that too..
That part of the deal is that Howard drops the suit, but he doesn't want to.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball