The Trial/City Rolls Over Thread

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

nwsports253
Junior
And1: 0

Re: The Trial 

Post#81 » by nwsports253 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:59 pm

jenn_gp wrote:^KJR saying that too..
That part of the deal is that Howard drops the suit, but he doesn't want to.

So is the settlement off?
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#82 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:59 pm

Maybe that's why the Mayor's office was/is saying that there's no settlement. Maybe they were trying to come to one, maybe they were close, but maybe Schultz's refusal to agree to that part of it is making the settlement dead in the water.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#83 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:59 pm

Is Sonicscentral working for you guys? It barely loads for me and it isn't updating posts...I know people are posting a mile a minute there, and there hasn't been an update in posts for the past 15 minutes for me.

Too much traffic, or do I have a bad internet connection?
yearsago
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#84 » by yearsago » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:00 pm

Times up. Its 4pm
Co-Host of Seattle Sin Bin podcast at SonicsRising
nwsports253
Junior

Post#85 » by nwsports253 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:01 pm

No i havent been able to get on it for a couple hours
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#86 » by yearsago » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:04 pm

Settlement.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#87 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:04 pm

Pechman: Settlement confirmed.

What an absolute waste of a trial.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#88 » by yearsago » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:05 pm

Softy called saying that people are saying, we might be happy with the settlement
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#89 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:06 pm

^The only thing that will make me happy is that we keep THIS team.
Kobe_not_MJ
Ballboy

Post#90 » by Kobe_not_MJ » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:06 pm

I want every Sonics fan to know that you guys are getting shafted big time by Clay Bennett and David Stern. It is truly disgraceful that Seattle's first professional franchise, which won a title in 1979, has been hijacked by these two greedy buffoons. Yeah, you guys need a new arena. Yeah, your lease truly sucks (the team gets NO revenue from parking, that money goes to the city).

That's no excuse to blame the fans or hold them hostage simply because they didn't want to give an enormous handout to the CEO of Starbucks (Howard Schultz) when he could have easily built an arena with his own money if he really wanted to. Just like Bennett would have put forward more money for his proposed $500 million dollar palace if he really wanted to stay in Seattle.

I truly believe that the Sonics have a loyal fan base and deserve a team (and THIS team, not some expansion franchise down the road). It's looks like it's going to be a repeat of the Cleveland Browns when Art Modell turned his back on millions of passionate and loyal Browns fans and moved the team to Baltimore (and won a Super Bowl there).

Seattle has the 14th ranked market in the country and is complete with corporations such as Starbucks and Microsoft. It is also ranked as one of the top five cities in America to visit. I mean, the NBA could/would/should make a ton of money out there (that's what it's all about, right?). OKC is 49th or something. I'm not saying OKC doesn't deserve a team, but shouldn't they get an expansion franchise rather than Durant, Green, Jerryd Bayless/Russell Westbrook?

I'm sorry about what you guys are going through with this team right now, I really am. I'm a Celtics fan and I don't want the Sonics to go anywhere. If the judge rules that Carpetbagger Clay can buy out the lease, this sets a dangerous precedent throughout sports. It would mean that there would really be nothing stopping someone from coming and hijacking my Celtics to some place in the middle of nowhere like, say, Wichita (and lying about it). If this can happen to the Sonics, Seattle's first professional sports franchise and one-time NBA champion, it can happen to anyone, and you're damn right I'm pissed even though I'm not a Sonics fan.

As an NBA fan, I was looking forward to the reinstatement of the Blazers/Sonics rivalry before this season in spite of the Celtics getting the 5th pick last year (before we got KG of course). Then Oden got hurt and Bennett showed his true colors. I'm sorry about this. I know it may be too late to say this, but keep your fingers crossed and hope for a miracle (believe me, they miracles can happen).

Clay Bennett = Art Modell
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#91 » by yearsago » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:09 pm

SC.com is down. (It has had been shaky all afternoon, but I had been able to post on there)
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#92 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:09 pm

Geez us...I'm freaking out. Now SC isn't working for me.

AHHHHHH. I need to read something, anything to keep me busy.
nwsports253
Junior

Post#93 » by nwsports253 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:11 pm

go to the times site and youll get a good read or two even though most of the post are people fighting
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#94 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:11 pm

Managed to straggle this tid-bit off SC:
On KOMO they just showed a live look at OKC setting up for the press conference. They showed several banners or placards showing NBA-OKC, but no reference to the Sonics in any way, shape or from. Connecting the dots it sure looks like the Sonics name, colors and history will stay here at least.
yearsago
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by yearsago » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:12 pm

Someone posted saying there is a livefeed of the OKC press conference..and there are banners everywhere saying OKC-NBA (nothing sonics)
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#96 » by wiff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:12 pm

If a settlement goes down I'm going to be pissed.

Let's get to the verdict.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#97 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:13 pm

wiff wrote:If a settlement goes down I'm going to be pissed.

Let's get to the verdict.

Wiff, where have you been? Pechman said there is no verdict, there IS a settlement.
nwsports253
Junior

Post#98 » by nwsports253 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:14 pm

I saw the same thing GP and Years.
Banana Bandit
Ballboy

Post#99 » by Banana Bandit » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:15 pm

Pechman left it to the parties to disclose the terms but a source said the two sides have been discussing the deal that would involve the Sonics leaving town for Oklahoma City in exchange for up to $75 million payment to the city.

Sonics owner Clay Bennett may not have to pay the entire amount if the city gets another team, the source said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008030229_sonitrial02.html

This is an update from the times. Can't say I'm very happy if this does end up being true. In fact I'm going to go get a drink, because this s*** is truly BS. Cash settlement????? WTF?? Nickels, you are dead to me.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#100 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:16 pm

I don't get how they can have OKC-NBA placards if Howard Schultz refuses to drop his lawsuit?

Things aren't adding up.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball