OT The Clippers just shot themselves in the foot.

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

OT The Clippers just shot themselves in the foot. 

Post#1 » by wiff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:53 am

5 years at 65mil? For a 29 year old PG with a bad knee? I hope for the Clippers sake there is a team option after year 3. Other wise Baron is going to be grossly over paid in year 4 of his new deal.

I wonder if they did this to try to keep Brand?
kjtruong
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: OT The Clippers just shot themselves in the foot. 

Post#2 » by kjtruong » Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:55 am

interesting thing about this is that it means we probably wont be able to get biedrins...

on another note....

what do you guys think about mobley and min 1st or clippers first or maybe both for wilcox and wilkins

they need depth and possible salary relief...we want more 1sts. would the clips do it?
BernardC
Sophomore

Post#3 » by BernardC » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:38 am

I read on clippers board the best scenario is that they let corey walk, and resign with Brand.

Davis
Brand
Thontorn
Brand
Kaman

Looks really good.
SnoBrdrRob
Junior
And1: 1

Post#4 » by SnoBrdrRob » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:13 am

No way is this a bad deal for Baron. He will bring experience, talent, swagger and a proven veteran to a team that can definitely use a guy like this. They instantly become a playoff team. We would never have had a chance at Biedrins anyways.
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#5 » by v1n5anity » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:30 am

BernardC wrote:I read on clippers board the best scenario is that they let corey walk, and resign with Brand.

Davis
Brand
Thontorn
Brand
Kaman

Looks really good.

Wow 2 Elton Brands?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#6 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:55 am

Baron Davis is an impact player that can take over games and win them for his team, just like Elton Brand can. So now if they do re-sign Brand they have both an outside and inside player that can dominate games. Pretty hard for me to see how the Clippers shot themselves in the foot.

But I do agree that injuries have hit both players so they have to keep their fingers crossed that Davis can stay healthy.

I don't think they need Magette now and Gordon become's the Monte Ellis to Baron Davis. I expect Kaman to rebound after his off season as well. And Thornton...., well, he played as well as Jeff Green, if not better in his rookie season.

The Clippers can't be labelled as cheap anymore. But that's dependant on them keeping Brand.
S0yb3anB0y
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#7 » by S0yb3anB0y » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:00 am

This is a great move by Clippers. This makes them a playoff contender instantly. The only move that I didn't think was a good move was to let Shuan Livingston walk.
BernardC
Sophomore

Post#8 » by BernardC » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:02 am

v1n5anity wrote:
BernardC wrote:I read on clippers board the best scenario is that they let corey walk, and resign with Brand.

Davis
Brand
Thontorn
Brand
Kaman

Looks really good.

Wow 2 Elton Brands?

my bad
I believe mobley will start?
wiff
Head Coach

Post#9 » by wiff » Wed Jul 2, 2008 1:52 pm

The reason why I said the Clippers shot themselves in the foot is by the time Baron hits year 4 and 5 of his contract he won't be the same player he is today.

Sure if they can re-sign Brand they look good on paper for the next few years. But again Baron is 29 with a gimpy knee. How long before he loses a step?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#10 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:35 pm

I do agree with that Wiff. Even the quick and well conditioned Steve Nash showed signs last season of slowing down a half step. Age and physical pounding does add up once players hit a certain age. But Davis is still in his prime and should be for at least the next 3 years.

And who is this Ibanka guy whose love wagon you're riding?
wiff
Head Coach

Post#11 » by wiff » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:46 am

Looks like Brand is heading to Philly.

Enjoy Baron Davis and all his one legged wonders for the next three years.

Downtown I officially need to get off the Ibanka love wagon. He will eventually make it to OKC once he comes over from Europe.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#12 » by pr0wler » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:26 am

I think the Clippers got owned. They lost Maggette as well, so essentially their off-season has been Brand + Maggette for Baron + Eric Gordon. Not too good...
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by BenjaminH » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:12 am

The Davis deal wold have been excellent if they had been able to retain Brand. I think they need to go after Josh Smith now.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,919

Post#14 » by Dick Tate » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:24 am

wiff wrote:Other wise Baron is going to be grossly over paid in year 4 of his new deal.

Ray Allen revisited? Here's to Iron Man Larry Hughes. :beer:
BTW: If the Sonics don't return, we could always settle our bet at a Seattle U game at that spacious Key Arena. :censored:
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by BenjaminH » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:53 am

I think that picking up Okafor would be a little bit redundant with Kaman. Okafor is probably a better rebounder and defender, but Kaman isn't far behind. He had a great season. I think the Clippers would do well to pursue Smith and play him alongside Thornton as the two starting forwards. Davis can play in a set offense, as he did for the Hornets, but, I think, he is much better in an open offense. Smith would flourish running with Davis. But if not Smith, there are still a number of restricted free agents. I just don't think Okafor is the guy to pursue.
Kane2111
Banned User

Post#16 » by Kane2111 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:47 pm

And now the Clippers just seem desperate. Trying to get Zach Randolph to fill the gap? That's scary. I feel for the Clipper fanbase. They went from thinking they were going to have a crappy season... to feeling the ultimate high of an expected Baron Davis/Elton Brand contender... to a few days later realizing they basically traded Corey Maggette and Elton Brand for Baron Davis. OUCH. That's a major rollercoaster for their fans. I feel extremely bad for them.
MattTorgenrud
Banned User

Post#17 » by MattTorgenrud » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Kane2111 wrote:And now the Clippers just seem desperate. Trying to get Zach Randolph to fill the gap? That's scary. I feel for the Clipper fanbase. They went from thinking they were going to have a crappy season... to feeling the ultimate high of an expected Baron Davis/Elton Brand contender... to a few days later realizing they basically traded Corey Maggette and Elton Brand for Baron Davis. OUCH. That's a major rollercoaster for their fans. I feel extremely bad for them.

What do you think of the Camby pickup? They got him for nothing. Like... LITERALLY nothing. They got him for the "right to swap 2nd round picks".

Is that better than getting Randolph? Not sure. Camby's kinda old, but he's solid defense. Randolph might be a little underrated from being associated with the jailblazers and isiah knicks.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#18 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:07 pm

^Why are you asking questions to someopne who is no longer welcome on this board? Their account has been terminated...or at least we thought it was..
MattTorgenrud
Banned User

Post#19 » by MattTorgenrud » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:10 pm

jenn_gp wrote:^Why are you asking questions to someopne who is no longer welcome on this board? Their account has been terminated...or at least we thought it was..

I didn't really look at who posted it. It was more of an open question that anyone could answer. Jenn, what do you think of the Camby pickup?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#20 » by Sweezo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:35 pm

Hey, that sounds like a good question to ask on the Clippers board...

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball