OT The Clippers just shot themselves in the foot.

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

MattTorgenrud
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: OT The Clippers just shot themselves in the foot. 

Post#21 » by MattTorgenrud » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Sweezo wrote:Hey, that sounds like a good question to ask on the Clippers board...

That's true. This is an "OT" thread, but it's probably more appropriate for the Clippers board. But I think they decided to post the thread here, because Clippers fans sometimes come across very "conceited" and "arrogant". They take a really smug approach to discussing basketball, because they have a team out there. LA fans in general... because they have two teams they take it for granted. It was a disaster when Brand left, but come on... lets not cry over spilled milk. At least they have two franchises. We should borrow one.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#22 » by chrbal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:46 pm

The Clippers have done this kind of thing for as long as I remember. Trade for Dominique Wilkens at the end of his career. Build a solid core with Danny Manning, Charles Smith and others...then let it all leave. Sign Mark Aguirre.

Every so often they build a nice young core and/or they bring in some talented vets (Mark Jackson to Sam Cassell), then they let it all fall apart.

For me, its honestly just a matter of waiting for it to happen.

I knew they'd lose Brand, I just didn't know where he would wind up.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#23 » by illastrate » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:43 pm

MattTorgenrud wrote:
Sweezo wrote:Hey, that sounds like a good question to ask on the Clippers board...

That's true. This is an "OT" thread, but it's probably more appropriate for the Clippers board. But I think they decided to post the thread here, because Clippers fans sometimes come across very "conceited" and "arrogant". They take a really smug approach to discussing basketball, because they have a team out there. LA fans in general... because they have two teams they take it for granted. It was a disaster when Brand left, but come on... lets not cry over spilled milk. At least they have two franchises. We should borrow one.

I think you're referring to Laker fans. Clipper fans, in general, are anything but. I mean, we've been bad for so long, how can we be arrogant? The LA media hardly recognizes our team. It's a Laker town, and we're used to being second fiddle. Laker fans are the ones who are synonymous with "conceit".
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#24 » by BenjaminH » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:50 pm

I love the Camby pickup. Hopefully, Kaman will be able to provide enough post offense.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#25 » by Sweezo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:11 pm

illastrate wrote:I think you're referring to Laker fans. Clipper fans, in general, are anything but. I mean, we've been bad for so long, how can we be arrogant? The LA media hardly recognizes our team. It's a Laker town, and we're used to being second fiddle. Laker fans are the ones who are synonymous with "conceit".

That poster was just making up an excuse to post on the Sonics board as his whole goal was to troll the Sonics board. Wouldn't worry about anything he had to say.
SoupOrSonics
Ballboy

Post#26 » by SoupOrSonics » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:09 am

The Clippers took on Ricky Davis? So they got rid of one stats hungry guy in Maggette and took another one in Mr. Triple-Double. I wonder where they are going with this team...
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#27 » by kombayn » Fri Aug 1, 2008 6:44 am

I personally like the moves. As they're geared towards the 2010 free agency. We'll have Baron Davis, Chris Kaman, Al Thornton, Eric Gordon & DeAndre Jordan as our core with two more 1st round picks coming in. They'll be well under the cap to make a run at Chris Bosh or any other star coming out. (Dirk Nowitzski) I like the situation put a competitive team on the floor that could snag the 7 or 8 spot in the next two seasons. Then make big moves to push toward contender status.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by BenjaminH » Fri Aug 1, 2008 7:20 am

I also like the moves. If Brand hadn't of walked, they would have been great. But they recovered very well, considering. They acquired Camby for nothing and Davis was pretty reasonable. Next season they will be competing with Denver and Portland for the 8th seed. I think they'll be about as good as the Warriors were last season. It is a pretty good supporting cast they've surrounded Davis with.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#29 » by Downtown » Fri Aug 1, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah, it's pretty hard to argue with what they've done all things considered.

Baron Davis was a great signing. And their management did it with the idea that Brand would return, like he said he would. How were they to know when he said he would opt out so they could get a free agent, then re-sign he didn't really mean it?

Let's face it. Magette never was the guy to elevate that team. He is a very good player but he didn't really make a difference. Al Thornton takes over his role.

So they got an allstar in Baron Davis. They find about as good a replacement for Brand as they could, all things considered, in Camby(who has some motivation and only gave up a second round pick). Ricky Davis has been a scorer in the past and is worth it just for having that insurance player around.

When you add in Eric Gordon and Deandre Jordan as the two rookies, plus with Al Thornton now stepping into a starting role, and if Kaman gets back to being healthy and where he was the year before last, it adds up to a pretty good team in my opinion. Three veterans in Baron Davis, Camby, and Kaman(and they also have Mobley and Tim Thomas as well), plus three decent young players in Thornton, Gordon, and Jordan(although he's a project), and some bench depth with Ricky Davis gives them a nice mix of youth, experience, and leadership.

They did the best they could this offseason.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#30 » by Downtown » Fri Aug 1, 2008 5:08 pm

And they've still managed to have the thrid lowest payroll in the league in the second or third largest market.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball