Question/Poll from Blazer

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

What will you do now that your Sonics are TEMPORARILY gone

Boycott NBA (for the most part)
39%
Root for Blazers
43%
Root for OKC
15%
Root for another team
4%

Total votes: 54

GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Question/Poll from Blazer 

Post#1 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:44 am

First, I'm going to miss the Sonics and the 1-5 Rivalry, but I know that won't help you get your team back. I'm hoping Seattle gets a new team soon and names them the SuperSonics.

I've been reading your forum, and have noticed a variety of opinions from Sonic fans on how they will continue. Some will boycott the NBA, others will root for OKC. And I've noticed others coming over and joining the Trailblazer forum.

I know you won't be able to care for another team as much as your Sonics, but what will you do?
OzSonic
Starter
And1: 7

Re: Question/Poll from Blazer 

Post#2 » by OzSonic » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:30 am

I'll still watch it I guess. I'm a basketball fan so that will bring me back. I doubt I'll ever barrack for another team though. Neutral supporter from here on in, unless another team comes back.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#3 » by bennith13 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 4:43 am

I will root for whatever team is playing OKC.
Big_Mac79
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Big_Mac79 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:28 am

Yeah I will be rooting for individuals. No more teams for me.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#5 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:00 am

No offense, but why do we need to keep having the same thread over and over?

Thanks for the kind words.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:14 am

^^^^Sorry, have Sonic fans switching to the Blazers been discussed before. I'm just curious, I thought it would be a tie between Blazers, and Boycotting NBA. Right now Portland is winning, but hardly anyone has voted. IMO, if you are going to root for another team, it might as well be Portland, because they might be the dominant team of the future, and they are still within driving distance.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#7 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:38 am

I voted for boycott the NBA just so you know.

IMO it just doesn't seem right, continuing to follow our Sonic team to OKC. While I'm attached to a few players like Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, and Nick Collison and will support them throughout the rest of their careers because of the type of people they are, but I will not root for an OKC team.

That team will always be my SEATTLE SUPERSONICS no matter what their name is and where they are playing. I will not root or support a team that has an owner with no sense of remorse for his actions over the past year and a half. He is a smug, callous, ass hat liar.

That said, I will not support a league that doesn't support me as a fan. David Stern knew exactly what he was doing from day one of the sale to the LLC. He set up the sale, covered for Bennett's lies--along with making up a few of his own, and without a second thought, moved a 41 year old franchise to a market 1/3 it's size. Above it all though, he let his ego get in the way. Yes, our state legislators are dumbasses, but I will 100% of the time agree with their position on turning down a $500 million dollar arena proposal.

Stern and Bennett made one trip--ONE to the state capitol. That isn't trying. Stern was very adamant that Key Arena is not a viable NBA arena through this whole ordeal, then a few hours after the city settled, decided with a remodel, it will go back to being the best thing since sliced bread once again.

And I cannot just up and start rooting for a Blazers team when I've been trained all these years not to like them. Just can't do it.

If Seattle gets a new team, will I watch them? Of course without question. If you would have asked me that a month ago I would have said no way. But this is hurting a lot worse than I thought. I love basketball, but I don't think I can ever again get attached to another team the way I did the Sonics.

Long answer short. Screw the NBA as long as David Stern is Commissioner..My hope is he's out before if/when we get a new team (2010).
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:35 am

jenn_gp wrote:I voted for boycott the NBA just so you know.

Yes, our state legislators are dumbasses, but I will 100% of the time agree with their position on turning down a $500 million dollar arena proposal.

Stern and Bennett made one trip--ONE to the state capitol. That isn't trying. Stern was very adamant that Key Arena is not a viable NBA arena through this whole ordeal, then a few hours after the city settled, decided with a remodel, it will go back to being the best thing since sliced bread once again.

Long answer short. Screw the NBA as long as David Stern is Commissioner..My hope is he's out before if/when we get a new team (2010).

That WAS BS the way Stern F***ed you. First, you can keep the team if a new stadium is built. Once the team is gone, it's suddenly fine if you just remodel the arena (obviously cheaper than building an entire new one, and something that the city could easily afford.)

I'm curious how Stern benefited from this deal, because it definitely didn't benefit the league whatsoever.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#9 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:40 am

^Obviously the going rumor is that Stern and Clay are butt-buddies.

Clay confessed his love and true feelings for Stern in one of his many e-mails.

Not true [hopefully], but I had to take a jab at those two. The e-mail part is true, but let's just hope their relationship doesn't go any farther than Stern trying to help out a friend through fraud and deceit.
Hiphophead101
Senior
And1: 68

Post#10 » by Hiphophead101 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 8:51 am

I dont think that were "bandwagoning" OKC at all, I think that statement is absolutely rediculous. They are bandwagoning us. I feel offended by that statement. This was our team to begin with, therefore they bandwagon us, not we bandwagon them. Fans have supported this team for 41 years, they are "bandwagoning" by supporting this team in their hometown for their first year. I hope people quit using that.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:04 am

^^^ no offense intended. I'll change the OP. I am surprised though, that Seattle fans would root for OKC. I thought they and Bennet were the enemy. I understand rooting for the players though.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:23 am

OzSonic wrote:I'll still watch it I guess. I'm a basketball fan so that will bring me back. I doubt I'll ever barrack for another team though. Neutral supporter from here on in, unless another team comes back.

I thought barrack must be a spelling error, but I couldn't tell what it should've been so I looked it up. I had no idea it meant anything other than the obvious definition. PS, those of you that are thinking about rooting for the only other NW team, you are always welcome in the Portland Forum
OzSonic
Starter

Post#13 » by OzSonic » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:37 am

Rooting or Root has an entirely different meaning here. Most Aussie's will not "Root" for a team.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:22 am

Do tell. Is that why you said you would never "root" for another team?
OzSonic
Starter

Post#15 » by OzSonic » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:36 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_slang

To barrack, invariably a sporting team (typically rugby league or Australian rules football), for example, in Australian English means to hoot or cheer in support of something. Identical to the US "root". (Note that the word "root" in Australia is coarse slang for sexual intercourse.) For example: "who do you barrack for?" Almost the exact opposite of the (now rare) British usage of barrack, that is to denigrate: to jeer or hoot against something, such as a sporting team.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#16 » by wiff » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:18 pm

First and foremost I am going to let my subscription to Slam the magazine expirer. I think it is due next month. But that is the last anything of the NBA I will be purchasing. That goes for who the NBA has sponserships with too. Like Sprite/ Coca-cola company too. And I love Coke.

I loved Mac 10 when he was a Sonic. And quite frankly I didn't hold it against the guy in taking the Portland job. Especially with the knuckle heads that were in the front office when it all went down.

But ever since 1979 when I barely remember watching the Sonics on tape delay win the NBA Championship, I have grown a distaste for the Blazers. Do I have respect for them? Yes. Do I like them? NO!

It's kind of hard to turn off 29 years is not wanting to see that team win, to all of a sudden jumping on the bandwagon, even if they seem just as much as Seattle as they do Portland in some ways.

I liked the I-5 rivalry and I want to keep it that way.

But the biggest issue for me out of all of this. And Jenn already touched on this. Why support a league where they turned their backs on the fans who have put money in the owners pockets for 41 years.

Enjoy that "F"ing dustbowl called hell errr... I mean OKC.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#17 » by slick_watts » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:47 pm

for all of stern's duplicity and shadiness after the sonics were sold to bennett it's worth noting that he did lobby with howard schultz (i think i remember there being several trips) for assistance with renovating key arena and making it viable. the state and local governments wanted nothing to do with it, though, which is what soured stern on seattle to begin with. had a solution been found then, schultz would probably still own the team.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:50 pm

wiff wrote:It's kind of hard to turn off 29 years is not wanting to see that team win, to all of a sudden jumping on the bandwagon, even if they seem just as much as Seattle as they do Portland in some ways.

We have ROY (UW), Nate McMilan and Paul Allen (SeaHawks Owner). Not to mention similar weather and scenery.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#19 » by bennith13 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:56 pm

You are also our former rivals. I will never root for Portland.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by GOBlazers » Tue Jul 8, 2008 10:10 pm

bennith13 wrote:You are also our former rivals. I will never root for Portland.

Oh yeah, and we have Martell Webster who went to Seattle Prep. Most Portland fans don't see Seattle as a rival. Why would we? LA and Utah are our rivals, and that's because, whenever we are good, they beat us. Those two teams keep us from getting deep in the playoffs (or a championship).

Portland and Seattle don't meet in the Playoffs when both are good. When one team is good, the other is mediocre. We have met 4 times, though in our long histories. Splitting the series evenly

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball