Kevin Calabro

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

HeavyP
Starter
And1: 0

Kevin Calabro 

Post#1 » by HeavyP » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:53 pm

I was wondering when we were going to hear from him.

Sonics employees have been told to not discuss the team's move to Oklahoma City with the media, and Calabro is still under contract through the end of September. He hopes people will understand why he's speaking out.

"I was embarrassed for the city," he said. "I was enraged that our council members would sit up there and titter and laugh nervously and congratulate themselves over being part of a 41-year history being sold. I was deeply embarrassed and still am.

"What you're doing now is going after a theoretical building for a hypothetical team. I find that failed logic."

Oddly, Calabro doesn't think he appeals to the NBA for a national gig.

"I don't think the league is terribly high on my work," he said. "If they were high on it, I'd already be doing national stuff. I don't think I'm their cup of tea."

He also says Oklahoma offered him top top dollar and he turned it down. I can't wait to hear from him in September when he's no longer under contract. Also, he's done Mariners games before, maybe he should replace Neihaus so he can stay in the region.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/370078_moore09.html
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Re: Kevin Calabro 

Post#2 » by KingInExile » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:20 pm

I would love to have him dong PBP for the Kings (there are other Kings fans that feel this way). Not only because Grant Napear, our current PBP guy, is a complete jackass...but because Calabro has so much talent as a broadcaster. Doubt it would happen, but I really wish the Maloofs would offer him a job.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#3 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:38 pm

I posted that article a few days ago in a new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=823580

And I agree with you about replacing Neihaus Heavy P. :D

I can't wait to hear from him in September when he's no longer under contract.

What more is there to say? KC was totally spot on. I don't think the fact that he's still under contract hindered him at all from speaking his opinion.
He took a dig at the city and state government, a dig on Bennett's efforts, and slammed the Stern and the NBA for the way they treated us fans.

He will forever and ALWAYS be my hero.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#4 » by Joel Embust » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:21 am

I'm going to miss KC. I'm too used to his voice and style. He's a class apart. He made crappy guys like Billy McKinney and Craig Ehlo look like decent analyst.
Kenny0873
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Kenny0873 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Sonics-FAN wrote:I'm going to miss KC. I'm too used to his voice and style. He's a class apart. He made crappy guys like Billy McKinney and Craig Ehlo look like decent analyst.

Come on now. No one could make Ehlo look good. That guy was the absolute worst and that had to drive KC nuts.
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#6 » by Joel Embust » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:15 am

That's true. Let's just say that KC made up for Ehlo's crappiness.
Kane2111
Banned User

Post#7 » by Kane2111 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:58 am

Kevin Calabro is very simply the best PBP guy in the business. That's interesting that he says he has trouble getting a national gig. I remember back in the mid 90s he was widely regarded as the best in the NBA.

Total class act too.
MattTorgenrud
Banned User

Post#8 » by MattTorgenrud » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:08 pm

Kane2111 wrote:Kevin Calabro is very simply the best PBP guy in the business. That's interesting that he says he has trouble getting a national gig. I remember back in the mid 90s he was widely regarded as the best in the NBA.

Total class act too.

From the times I've listened to him... that guy was definitely QUICK. Like he was doing an auction or something.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#9 » by Trilogy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:59 am

Wrong thread.

Kevin Calabro is a quality PBP man for what it's worth, was actually following SL ball for the Raps, heh.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball