OKC Thunder

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Do you like the new name ????

Poll ended at Mon Aug 4, 2008 8:16 am

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 55

boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

OKC Thunder 

Post#1 » by boshjonesford » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:16 am

Do you like the Name????
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,568

Re: OKC Thunder 

Post#2 » by BarbaGrizz » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:20 am

nope...already miss the SuperSonics
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#3 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:29 am

Why the hell should we care?

Have you took the time to read any of the threads on this board? Most of us could care two sh*ts about the OKC team.

Don't you already know the answer to this question? Why on earth would we like it?
Troll.
boshjonesford
Banned User

Post#4 » by boshjonesford » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:55 am

jenn_gp wrote:Why the hell should we care?

Have you took the time to read any of the threads on this board? Most of us could care two sh*ts about the OKC team.

Don't you already know the answer to this question? Why on earth would we like it?
Troll.

There are OKC fans hear as well, and if you dont care why are you even looking at the threads and taking taking the time to comment.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#5 » by bennith13 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:55 am

Wrong board. I don't give a **** what they call that team as long as its not the Sonics.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#6 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:12 am

"Thunder" is the name of the mascot for Golden State Warriors.

they will not be pleased with the hi-jacking of his name. :lol:
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#7 » by D5150 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:30 pm

boshjonesford

okc fans have their own board. post your comments, observations, etc about that team there. jenn and every other fan of the SEATTLE SUPERSONICS have every right to read comments and post on this board. so take you poll and your smart ass reply to jenn and bounce.

i feel another lock coming.
Don't act like you're not impressed.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#8 » by sonictecture » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Thunder is a perfect name. All NBA teams should change or adopt names that have no real connections to the cities they play in. When teams move, to make more money for the owners then, the name transition will be seamless.

The New York Lights
The Chicago Trees
The Los Angeles Roads
Miami Vanilla

It's probably just a matter of time before the NBA adopts corporate sponsor team names.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#9 » by wiff » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:21 pm

OKC who?
atown hawks
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by atown hawks » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Troll.

Mann its a shame to see you Sonic guys sulk all day.. All the original poster did was come through and tell you what the old sonics are being renamed, don't lie it does spark a little interest on this board. So dont go calling him a troll for providing information that does indeed pertain to this board and shame on the forum mod who said wrong board then cursed. I swear I come to this board just to marvel at how malicious people can get at someone with innocent intentions.

Seattle wake up, and start acting like civilized people again. Your making the city of seattle look like a bunch of uncontrollable hooligans who are ready to disrespect anyone who isnt sulking with you. GROW UP.

I dont mean to "troll" in anyway because this post, is meant to be from a outsiders point of view. So please Sonic fans for the sake of your city, and your realgm board step back from your current state of mind and look at yourselves. This is the only post im going to post on this board to avoid being waived or suspended but please do take heed to my words
ImageImage
TheUrbanZealot
Junior
And1: 4

Post#11 » by TheUrbanZealot » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:21 pm

D5150 wrote:boshjonesford

okc fans have their own board. post your comments, observations, etc about that team there. jenn and every other fan of the SEATTLE SUPERSONICS have every right to read comments and post on this board. so take you poll and your smart ass reply to jenn and bounce.

i feel another lock coming.

Here we go again. Dude, all the guy did was ask if we like the name. That's when Jenn gave a very rude response. The question is completely relevant, being that this is the new name of our former team.

The more you guys alienate people from simply trying to have a calm discussion, the faster this team forum is going to melt away. The poster is 100% right. If you don't like a question that is NOT VIOLATING THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, then just ignore it. That poster has every right to ask a simple question, and does not deserve to be disrespected just because it's OKC related?

If that's the case, I supposed we should lock all threads that talk about Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Nick Collison, or any other current OKC player because they are no longer part of the Sonics. Yeah, let's limit this forum to whining, complaining, treating new posters rudely, asking for Bennett's head, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, and asking for Nickels' head.

Come on you guys, buck up and treat people a little more kindly...
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Ex-hippie » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:23 pm

I reluctantly agree with Urban Zealot that the subject is germane and legitimate to this board. I don't give a rat's ass what the team is called and therefore won't vote, but if others want to discuss it here, fine.

That said, atown hawks is a massive :censored: who obviously knows nothing about the history of this board, and with specific posters in particular, yet feels empowered to tell us all how to conduct ourselves.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#13 » by bennith13 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:08 pm

With all due respect to atown hawk, shut up. You have no idea how anyone in this situation could feel. It is still relevantly new and if people want to grieve/be angry right now I have no problem with it. I do however have a problem with outsiders tell us to suck it up.

The other reason post like this upset me is because it is obvious the intent of the post from people like boshjonesford. The only reason he came to this board was to rub in the removal of our team.

If you notice though, I did not lock this thread. Neither did Sonictecture. So for all the people that do care and think differently you can post about how crappy or how great the name is.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#14 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:19 pm

boshjonesford wrote:

Troll.

There are OKC fans hear as well, and if you dont care why are you even looking at the threads and taking taking the time to comment.

And you know this how? Any fans of our previous Sonics team have migrated to the OKC board.

I'm here because I'm a fan of SEATTLE BASKETBALL...I enjoy chatting with my friends. Seriously, don't mix the OKC board with this one, they are not the same. If you weren't such a troll you'd know that.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#15 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:29 pm

And I agree with Bennith. It's not so much the topic, but boshjonesford's intent of the thread.

Instead of just saying "do you like the name?" He could have prefaced it with something--anything that was sensative toward the subject. A simple "I'm really sorry you guys lost your team" would have worked. But it's clear to me that he's just looking to stir things up. He hasn't bothered to even recognize that the people who have chose to follow our team have moved to the other board.

Honestly, if he wants a real answer, I'll give it to him. It's a good name for exactly what this franchise has turned into: a Developmental League Team. Horrible name for a complete @ss hat of an owner. Fits perfectly.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Post#16 » by Det the Threat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:06 pm

atown hawks wrote:Mann its a shame to see you Sonic guys sulk all day.. All the original poster did was come through and tell you what the old sonics are being renamed, don't lie it does spark a little interest on this board. So dont go calling him a troll for providing information that does indeed pertain to this board and shame on the forum mod who said wrong board then cursed. I swear I come to this board just to marvel at how malicious people can get at someone with innocent intentions.

Seattle wake up, and start acting like civilized people again. Your making the city of seattle look like a bunch of uncontrollable hooligans who are ready to disrespect anyone who isnt sulking with you. GROW UP.

I dont mean to "troll" in anyway because this post, is meant to be from a outsiders point of view. So please Sonic fans for the sake of your city, and your realgm board step back from your current state of mind and look at yourselves. This is the only post im going to post on this board to avoid being waived or suspended but please do take heed to my words

Look, some responses might not be all that PC and what not, but please remember this.

There are people coming in here asking fans how we like signings, the team name or what not about a team we've got no realationship with anymore. Even worse, that team has an own board were people can discuss those things as well.

So why the heck do people need to tell and ask Sonics fans about things like this?
Do they want to keep us up to date? Or do the want to rub it in our noses?

I think everyone knows the answer, cause i'm pretty sure that people around here are able to read and get those informations by himself, if they want to, as well.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by BenjaminH » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:48 pm

I think it is kind of a stupid name.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#18 » by Sweezo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:07 pm

atown hawks wrote:This is the only post im going to post on this board to avoid being waived or suspended but please do take heed to my words

Smart man. You have no business coming on here and telling anyone how to behave.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#19 » by Sweezo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:14 pm

...and as for the name, I don't get the trend towards naming teams after a "thing." And I like names that establish a connection to the community, which all the major Seattle franchises (Mariners/Seahawks/Supersonics/Sounders FC) have done. I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to name the team after something immediately identifiable with something OKC-centric instead of apaprently drawing the name out of a hat.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#20 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:19 pm

^I think for some reason they were worried a name like "Barons" or "Outlaws" will give them a bad image...not that they don't have one already. For me, I would have rather them been named one of those two because it gives me the satisfaction in reminding other people how they got their team.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball