OKC Thunder

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Do you like the new name ????

Poll ended at Mon Aug 4, 2008 8:16 am

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 55

BenjaminH
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Re: OKC Thunder 

Post#21 » by BenjaminH » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:22 pm

I also don't really like team names that are singular, rather than plural. It sounds really awkward when you read or write about them: "The Miami Heat is" not "The Miami Heat are". I always get confused.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#22 » by Sweezo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:25 am

Agreed. I have the exact same problem with the Heat as you...
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by Ex-hippie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:22 am

You guys should move to the UK. Over there, any time the thing being referred to is more than one person, the third person plural is used. "The Who are my favorite band" would be appropriate usage there.

I think the name "Thunder" sucks, personally. Sounds like an American Legion baseball team or something.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,919

Post#24 » by Dick Tate » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:13 pm

Det the Threat wrote:So why the heck do people need to tell and ask Sonics fans about things like this?
Do they want to keep us up to date? Or do the want to rub it in our noses?

I think everyone knows the answer, cause i'm pretty sure that people around here are able to read and get those informations by himself, if they want to, as well.

Troll post all the way. The poll question cinched it.
Saul
Banned User

Post#25 » by Saul » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:46 pm

hah... silly name. I can already see them starting every game with ACDC. THUNDER!!! AHHaaaAaAaaa... THUNDER!!! AhHAaaAaaAaaaaa... THUNDER!!!!....

And I agree with the masses that they should go with plural names.

HOw about the Oklahoma-City Thunders. lol.
sonic-ben
Bench Warmer

Post#26 » by sonic-ben » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:06 am

OKC trail of tears .... happens again
Go cougs
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#27 » by DIEHARD_005 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:43 pm

A lot of us on the Raptors board think 'Thunder' sounds like a perfect name for a WNBA franchise. Sorry on behalf of our board for this troll, I've seen him post on our board. Most of us side with you afer seeing the Griz leave Van city so a lot of us feel for you.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,276

Post#28 » by pr0wler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:07 pm

I actually kinda like the name. Oklahoma City Thunder, it sounds cool. But when I heard the name was chosen I got this irky feeling when I realized that this is pretty much the completion of the Sonics conversion to Oklahoma City.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by BenjaminH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 pm

Ex-hippie wrote:You guys should move to the UK. Over there, any time the thing being referred to is more than one person, the third person plural is used. "The Who are my favorite band" would be appropriate usage there.

Is it incorrect here, in the US, or an acceptable colloquialism?
AbdicatedReign
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by AbdicatedReign » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:01 am

I don't think there's been a recently coined franchise whose moniker hasn't sucked royally (NHL, NFL, NBA, none are exempt), and this is no different.

Sounds great for an Arena Football team.
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by BenjaminH » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:51 am

Now the NBA has filed for trademarks with the US Patent & Trademark Office to six potential nicknames for OKC: the Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind. (See wiretap.) I think they are all kind of stupid.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#32 » by jenn_gp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:05 am

A week or so ago I posted a link about the Marshall's name. That the word Marshall as in a 'sheriff" is actually spelled Marshal--just the one "l.' The link I provided talked about them naming it after the department chain store Marshalls. Ugh.

And "Wind?" WTF is that about? Totally generic and stupid, just as bad as "Thunder." All the names make me want to puke in my mouth a little.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Ex-hippie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Way to prove us all wrong about the sophistication of Oklahomans. The double-L spelling of "Marshall" is either (1) a discount department store, (2) a university in West Virginia, (3) a plan for rebuilding Europe after World War II, or (4) a boy's name (e.g., the real name of Eminem or a leading character in "Land of the Lost"). I seriously doubt they intended to honor any of those things.

And "Energy"? Stoooooopid. Yeah, yeah, it's to honor Aubrey McClendon (but in that case I would have preferred "Swift Boaters"). How about "Power"? Power is energy divided by time, i.e. a first derivative of energy. At least that would be a decent WNBA-caliber name.
big L
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by big L » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Could they really have registered the wrong spelling of Marshal? That is truly amazing... are we sure it's not just a mistake on RealGM's part?
from ny, never been a fan of the knicks...
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#36 » by jenn_gp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:31 pm

^Yeah here's the link to the blog a posted a week or two ago:
http://withleather.uproxx.com/post.phtml?pk=6301

A possible example of such retardery: the URL okcmarshalls.com redirects to NBA.com, while similar domains with other proposed team names (Bandits, Thunder, Thundercats) do not. So the Seattle Sonics may very well now be the Oklahoma City Marshalls. Yes, Marshalls. With two L's.

Now, I've never had the responsibility of naming a major professional sports franchise, but I'd like to think that if I did, I would run my proposed name THROUGH A GODDAM SPELL CHECK to make sure I had named the team after Wild West sheriffs and not a department store. But that's just me. I've got a weird habit of trying not to look like a complete dipsh*t.

:lol:
Saul
Banned User

Post#37 » by Saul » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:57 pm

There's no telling what they actually end up with. Just because they registered those domains doesn't mean it will be the team name. I'll wait for an official word. Those could all just be red herrings.

How about Oklahoma City Death Goblins? That would give them a cool mascott.
SoupOrSonics
Ballboy

Post#38 » by SoupOrSonics » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 pm

I am not bitter with OKC for all of this, unlike most posters (So it seems), but they aren't going to earn many brownie points with a weak team name.

That said, ANYTHING is better than Bobcats...
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#39 » by bennith13 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:22 pm

Maybe are you not bitter because you do not live in Seattle.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#40 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:02 pm

SoupOrSonics, that is just a dumb thing to post( I am not bitter with OKC for all this, unlike most posters) when it says you live in West Michigan. If you have something relative from Seattle fans point of view then say it, but otherwise you can discuss the name openly in the OKC forum without dealing with the bitter points of view.

Just move along ballboy.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball