Coming to terms with this

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Re: Coming to terms with this 

Post#21 » by bennith13 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:02 am

Jenn I hear you, and while I like to debate politics, I would prefer if we could just talk basketball here. However, because of various people, and issues, we can't. I guess I can understand both sides of the argument with the people at SonicCentral. I guess for me talking basketball for me this summer is also about talk about the elections because they are what will determine if the same people who allowed basketball to leave are going to be the same people who try and bring it back. I guess I am agreeing with Steven Pyeatt on this issue. Its time to vote out the people that either had their head in the sand, or lied to us, and get new people in there. They had their chance, lets get some people in there who will do something, regardless of what their political affiliation is.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#22 » by sonictecture » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:59 am

Sweezo wrote:
Downtown wrote:Keep the faith Jenn. I suppose it's Sweezo, Bennith13, and Sonictecture who have to address the forum status with whoever runs the entire show at realgm. I don't know if anyone has really talked about the future of this forum and who ultimately makes the final decision.

It will stay around as long as people want it to stick around. Which is tough...how many topics even come up that we can actually discuss on here?

Posting on a board for a team that no longer exists will be either really restricting or incredibly liberating. It seems to me that the rules of discussing primarily Sonic topics no longer apply now that there is no longer a Sonics team. I'd like to open the board discussions to any basketball related topic that regular Sonic members would like to discuss.

The real test of our individual desires to discuss basketball will be tested once training camps and the season start.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#23 » by djthesonicsfan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:38 pm

I think I'm facing that test already. I find that I stll consider the team my Sonics. Just stolen for now. And I'm hoping they're returned. My son thinks this perspective is nuts. He's ready to pull for the Blazers. For me that's a non starter. Anyway, I have to admit I'm so hoping the Sonics land CJ Miles today.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#24 » by jenn_gp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:49 pm

I'm not leaving as long as you all keep posting. They're going to have to kick my *ss out if they ever want to close down this forum!
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#25 » by UrbanLegendMD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Turn this into an off topic forum.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
SoupOrSonics
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#26 » by SoupOrSonics » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:46 pm

jenn_gp wrote:I'm not leaving as long as you all keep posting. They're going to have to kick my *ss out if they ever want to close down this forum!

Jenn_gp....
I remember you posting a long time ago when I posted under the user name SONGAILA.
It's good to see you're still ranting and raving. :D
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#27 » by jax98 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:12 pm

Hey guys.

I'm Danish, but I often go to Seattle because I have the opportunity to do so. I am just in love with the city. Great people, great food and overall great experiences and memories. I cannot even begin to imagine the Sonics not being a part of it anymore. I see a bunch of people walk around with retro Kemp/payton jerseys, Durant jerseys, Sonics jackets and all that merchandise, basically all the time. It's going to be hard coming back and witness a city that has lost a great franchise due to ownership struggles. I hope everyone lands on their feet and that an NBA franchise will be around the corner for all of you. The city of Seattle deserves it.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,975

Post#28 » by Cassius » Wed Aug 6, 2008 3:40 am

The GP-Detlef-Kemp-Nate Sonics are one of my favourite all-time teams... Kendall Gill on the break...

I really love(d) the Sonics and still wear the GP jersey when I play.

I feel awful for you guys and would probably consider moving if the Raps ever left Toronto. I tell you what though, I'd have the first OKC-Portland home game circled on my calendar.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
colombianbrew
Senior

Post#29 » by colombianbrew » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:08 am

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted much of anything, just didn't really have the stomach for it. The sad thing is I've been through this before with MY Grizzlies. It tough to know what to do or think. Thing is, we're all here and have been here because we love having a basketball team to follow. It's not something you can just turn off, it doesn't just go away. Come the start of the season, things just don't feel right. Seeing your players with a different city across their chest sucks.

For me personally, I found it took a year before I was back following the NBA. I said I never would again, I said they wouldn't get any more of my money. Truth is though, as I got over my emotions I began to take notice to the Sonics, the next closest team. I think a lot of you will find that the Blazers don't seem like such a bad option.

This sucks guys. I really have enjoyed discussing things here and hearing what you all have to say. It is a good group here.
freakon0mics
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#30 » by freakon0mics » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Relocation sucks for any city. I remember when the Hornets relocated out of Charlotte. Many Charlotte citizens felt bad that there weren't a resolution with the Hornets owners. Charlotte led attendance for so many years but gave up going to games in the Hornets last year because of a stupid owner. Seattle was different. They showed support to the very end. I'm hoping they pack up the Grizzlies and ship them to Seattle and rename them to the Sonics. It seems like Memphis isn't a professional basketball market. Stern should realize that there are cities out there that deserves an NBA team. If any city out there deserves a team it should be Seattle.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." - Michael Jordan
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#31 » by jenn_gp » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:32 pm

^Thanks for the kind words wiseguys.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#32 » by Sweezo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:06 pm

The one thing that gets me now is the inability of some people to understand why it might be a sensitive subject. Why, given this community, posting several threads on here about trades our former franchise should make would rub us the wrong way...even if they did not to tend to do so. Accidents still have the ability to upset, and I would think the proper response would be to recognize the error and move on, no apology even needed.

In some respects it will always be a sensitive subject. I don't foresee a point where, if I'm flipping through the TV and happen upon Durant hitting a three for OKC, I will have no emotional reaction. It will always irritate me, even if the team is, in some sense, replaced by some other franchise with green and gold jerseys.
colombianbrew
Senior

Post#33 » by colombianbrew » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:44 pm

^ Until Kevin signs as a free agent with the new Seattle team... doesn't hurt to dream
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#34 » by miamiballer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:58 pm

guys i really feel for you, i could only imagine what it would be like for me if the heat moved...my heart goes out to you and the fans of seattle and i really hope you guys get a team soon
Frozen316
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by Frozen316 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Wat? This isn't over, Schultz can still get the sale rescinded.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by Ex-hippie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Now we have news of even more litigation. I don't know about anyone else, but I did a facepalm when I read this. It just provides fuel for the pro-OKC critics who depict the population of Seattle as whiny and litigious. I think it's quite unhelpful when potentially meritorious claims are buried in noise like this.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#37 » by jenn_gp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:01 pm

^What more litigation are you talking about?
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by Ex-hippie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:34 pm

I linked it in the words "more litigation"... sorry
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#39 » by jenn_gp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Sorry Hippie, I didn't notice that.

Why the hell would any Sonics fan want season tickets in OKC? I can see maybe reselling them to people in OKC I guess. The remedy they are asking for seems a bit much. I'm no legal expert, but does this seem like something a judge would rule in favor of season ticket holders?
gamer4Life
General Manager
And1: 1,077

Post#40 » by gamer4Life » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:58 am

I feel for you guys. Coming from a guy that lives in Vancouver.

Now the closest team is Portland...

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball