Kevin Calabro: Voice of Sounders FC

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Kevin Calabro: Voice of Sounders FC 

Post#1 » by Sweezo » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:16 am

Very cool...

Less than three weeks ago, Kevin Calabro was in the doldrums after the city of Seattle agreed to a buyout of the Sonics lease with KeyArena, clearing the way for the NBA franchise to move to Oklahoma City.

The voice of the Sonics would not be following the team.

His path to recovery was accelerated Monday when he was announced as play-by-play voice of the Seattle Sounders FC for its inaugural season in Major League Soccer next year.

The club announced a multiyear television partnership with BELO to broadcast games on KING/5 and KONG/6, 16.

"When one door closes, many will open," Calabro said. "It's hard to see the Sonics moving on as they have, but this is something new on the horizon that many people can rally around and I'm enthused to be a part of."

Excluding games broadcast nationally, KING/5 or KONG/6, 16 will broadcast all Sounders matches with exclusive pregame and postgame shows.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/soccer/371677_sounders22.html

What a great fit. A new[er] franchise gets a voice that is already well-loved by the community, and...by God, if anyone can make soccer interesting, it would be KC. Chickens in the barnyard!
HeavyP
Starter
And1: 0

Re: Kevin Calabro: Voice of Sounders FC 

Post#2 » by HeavyP » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:17 pm

SO GOOD!

I've never been a fan of soccer, but I'm excited.

I want to hear him yell GGGGOOOOAAAAALLLLL
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#3 » by jenn_gp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:55 pm

I saw this late last night. I am so happy for Kevin. Here is video of his announcement to join the organization from the Sounders website:
http://www.soundersfc.com/
He doesn't come in until towards the end if you're interested. He sounds happy. He said he basically doesn't know much about soccer but is going to be spending a lot of time between now and opening day asking questions.

Like Heavy, I have never been a fan of soccer, but I am now. Soccer is a much faster paced game compared to baseball (I imagined him doing M's games), I think this is a really good fit. It will suit him well!
BrockEvil
Rookie

Post#4 » by BrockEvil » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:54 am

The only soccer I watch is World Cup and Olympic soccer...hopefully KC makes me like MLS soccer
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#5 » by jenn_gp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:59 am

So it says it's just for the inaugural season right? What if by chance the Sonics came back or a team came in the future...I wonder if Kevin would come back to broadcast Sonics games?

BTW, I know I'm foolishly getting ahead of myself by asking this question. Just curious.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Post#6 » by Det the Threat » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 pm

jenn_gp wrote:So it says it's just for the inaugural season right? What if by chance the Sonics came back or a team came in the future...I wonder if Kevin would come back to broadcast Sonics games?

I think so.
He just took over another job and it looks like it's more of a year to year thing, which gives him the freedom to look at other options once the season is over.

BTW: Did you hear any news about Kasey Keller joining Sounders FC for their inaugural season? The last i heard was that he might be interested in it(as he's from the Seattle area), but that he couldn't come to terms with the franchise.
joew8302
Senior

Post#7 » by joew8302 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:46 pm

As someone who has had league pass for five years now, I am very disappointed to hear Colabro will not be following the game. The man was the best play by play guy IMO. I know I will miss hearing him and Craig Ehlo call Sonic games.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#8 » by jenn_gp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:02 pm

^Ehlo hasn't called a game for two years..
joew8302
Senior

Post#9 » by joew8302 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:21 am

Yes, but I do miss him and Colabro doing them! Who did it last year? Lenny Wilkins? Or am I just losing my mind?

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball