Sund strikes again?

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

big L
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Sund strikes again? 

Post#1 » by big L » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 am

I suppose the ownership group in Atlanta has much to answer for, but how much of the Childress debacle is Sund's fault? If I remember correctly, he often tried to wait out RFAs in Seattle.
from ny, never been a fan of the knicks...
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,082

Re: Sund strikes again? 

Post#2 » by sonictecture » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:17 am

Hard to know where to point the blame at this point. I know NBA jobs are difficult to obtain, but Sund's willingness to work for poor ownership groups seems almost sadistic.

I would also count this as another blemish against David Stern and the NBA.
asdf1223
Sophomore

Post#3 » by asdf1223 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:20 am

Atlanta's ownership is as crappy as they come but sund's sluggishness to make an offer shows his incompetence. With the threat of Euro clubs you cant wait for some other team to make an offer for your players and then you match to save a few dollars anymore.
Det the Threat
Head Coach
And1: 356

Post#4 » by Det the Threat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:35 pm

I've read that Sund/the Hawks offered Childress slightly more then the MLE over the next five years.

So i can hardly see any mistake by Sund or that oragnization, cause quite frankly, Childress isn't worth more then that.

His agent just got creative and they used the weak Dollar to their advantage, while signing in Europe. Though, Childress can opt out of his contract every year, but would always be a restricted free agent, with the Hawks owning the rights to him.

And with him playing in Europe, and not in the states, i can hardly see him generating more interest from NBA teams during that time, which would mean that he still wouldn't receive more then the MLE from other teams, if he comes back.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#5 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:13 pm

I think asdf1223 is right. I read an article yesterday with quotes from Childress, and he said that he didn't feel the urgency to re-sign him after making it to the playoffs. I think part of that blame should fall on Sund's shoulders. It is his job to offer/sign players to contracts. Yes, the Atlanta organization sucks and has for years, but I think Sund should be given at least part of the blame on this one, simply because it appears it took him too long to get the ball rolling on a deal.

Childress said he intended to re-sign with the Hawks, who made the playoffs for the first time since 1999 and pushed eventual champion Boston to seven games in the first round. But he felt the team didn't show a sense of urgency in making a deal, and he turned down an offer he considered too low.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8370 ... -mega-deal
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,919

Post#6 » by Dick Tate » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:35 pm

Must be part of their new 5-year plan. Sund is a visionary.

Seriously, the Hawks fans must've been shaking their heads when the team hired a GM that took his previous team from winning 44+ a season down to 31.

I wonder if Damien Wilkins had his agent place a call to the Rickster yesterday?
big L
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by big L » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:20 pm

Det the Threat wrote:I've read that Sund/the Hawks offered Childress slightly more then the MLE over the next five years.

So i can hardly see any mistake by Sund or that oragnization, cause quite frankly, Childress isn't worth more then that.

His agent just got creative and they used the weak Dollar to their advantage, while signing in Europe. Though, Childress can opt out of his contract every year, but would always be a restricted free agent, with the Hawks owning the rights to him.

And with him playing in Europe, and not in the states, i can hardly see him generating more interest from NBA teams during that time, which would mean that he still wouldn't receive more then the MLE from other teams, if he comes back.

Are you sure he will remain a restricted free agent beyond a year? I thought he would only remain a RFA for a year?
from ny, never been a fan of the knicks...
BenjaminH
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by BenjaminH » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Dick Tate wrote:I wonder if Damien Wilkins had his agent place a call to the Rickster yesterday?

I think that Damien Wilkins harbors some ill will because Atlanta wasn't interested in him when he first entered the league, despite the Dominique connection.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#9 » by jenn_gp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:11 pm

^Well, it looks like Atlanta made at least one good choice then..

*hehe*

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball