NEWS: Howard is still sticking with the court case

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Re: NEWS: Howard is still sticking with the court case 

Post#21 » by jenn_gp » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:46 pm

Saul wrote:IT sounds like to me that Stern is getting really nervous and realizes that some dirty dealings went on. I bet that is why Oklahoma City has not officially announced their new uniform and team name. My gut feeling tells me that they are going to have to step in and reverse this thing and the Sonics will be playing in Seattle this year. The NBA just seems way too defensive and nervous.

I'd say you're 110% wrong on this, but I would love that type of outcome.

I do agree with you that the NBA is nervous about what kind of info leaks out in the public during the case though. I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but this Sonics team is gone. I think the best we can do is if we are awarded an expansion team (which also is very unlikely) or Stern does some more backroom dealings to get us a team that's in a terrible market right now (Memphis, New Orleans, etc).
McG
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by McG » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:58 pm

The reason this development is so promising is in the same respect that 2 more years of Sonics basketball in Seattle would have been promising: leverage. The basic fact that the NBA is doing everything in its power to stop the case from proceeding makes it evident that this is something that could seriously dirty Stern's master plan, and thus something they may want to stop before it has even started. Best case this would obviously mean a binding document guaranteeing a Seattle a team within x number of years.

I'm not sure if Yarmuth planned it this way, but it seems that this was the perfect answer to the NBA's request for $900/hr legal fees. Based on this Pechman will almost certainly be forced to break the case into two phases, as the majority of the proceedings will have nothing to do with the NBA's direct involvement. A judge cannot in their right mind make one party subject to fees that may not even be necessary in the case. Unless the league backs off on this request I fully expect there to be two cases come next spring.
* Educating the underprivileged. *
Saul
Banned User

Post#23 » by Saul » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:24 pm

jenn_gp wrote:
Saul wrote:IT sounds like to me that Stern is getting really nervous and realizes that some dirty dealings went on. I bet that is why Oklahoma City has not officially announced their new uniform and team name. My gut feeling tells me that they are going to have to step in and reverse this thing and the Sonics will be playing in Seattle this year. The NBA just seems way too defensive and nervous.

I'd say you're 110% wrong on this, but I would love that type of outcome.

I do agree with you that the NBA is nervous about what kind of info leaks out in the public during the case though. I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but this Sonics team is gone. I think the best we can do is if we are awarded an expansion team (which also is very unlikely) or Stern does some more backroom dealings to get us a team that's in a terrible market right now (Memphis, New Orleans, etc).

Jenn I wouldn't be so sure. My gut instinct tells me this team is going nowhere and that's why the league is freaking out and panicking and trying to threaten Howard with crazy legal fees. They know this is a case they will lose and they know this team will be returned to Seattle. Like I said, I could end up being wrong, but I really think this team will be playing in Seattle this year. There are too many signs. Stern panicking... the Oklahoma team not yet announcing their new colors, uniform or team name (they know something is up)... and also even little excerpts like this from the Boston Globe:

Oklahoma City recently opted to sign Utah restricted free agent guard C.J. Miles over Celtics free agent guard Tony Allen. The Celtics ended up signing Allen recently before the Jazz yesterday matched the four-year offer on Miles, which left Oklahoma City with neither

Now... on the surface this doesn't mean much. Until you realize that Tony Allen went to school in Oklahoma and is something of a hometown hero. Now... why would the team pass on signing him unless they knew his main selling point (the fact he's from Oklahoma) would be irrelevant?

I'm telling you... I think the league will be forced to fix this situation before it gets any worse. The blood is on their hands. And the league and Bennett know the writing is on the wall.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,917

Post#24 » by Dick Tate » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:42 pm

Saul wrote:Now... on the surface this doesn't mean much. Until you realize that Tony Allen went to school in Oklahoma and is something of a hometown hero. Now... why would the team pass on signing him unless they knew his main selling point (the fact he's from Oklahoma) would be irrelevant?

LOL. Maybe they think Miles is a better player or perhaps a better fit for Presti's beloved culture.

McG wrote:Based on this Pechman will almost certainly be forced to break the case into two phases, as the majority of the proceedings will have nothing to do with the NBA's direct involvement.

I disagree. How do you seek a judgement of Fraud without a remedy in mind? Seems to me the relief is intertwined with the judgement. I think the judge will rule to keep the case intact (at least up until it's dismissed).
McG
Sophomore

Post#25 » by McG » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 pm

Dick Tate wrote:I disagree. How do you seek a judgement of Fraud without a remedy in mind? Seems to me the relief is intertwined with the judgement.

The point for which Pechman will inevitably split the lawsuit has nothing to do with the judgment itself. It has everything to do with preventing the NBA from harassing Schultz with exorbitant costs that may not even be necessary for purposes of the trial. If they find the PBC did indeed attempt 'good faith efforts' there is no reason Schultz should be responsible for the millions the NBA will attempt to make him responsible for when they would not even be a party to the trial.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#26 » by djthesonicsfan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:03 am

Dick Tate wrote:I didn't tell you to do anything. Like I said, it's up to you. I was just offering a suggestion... trying to be helpful. Carry on. :-?

Trying to be helpful? Hmmm. Be honest. Is dictate your RealGM handle or a character flaw?
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
Dick Tate
Veteran

Post#27 » by Dick Tate » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:48 pm

Clever.
Speaking of character flaws, some might consider someone who lives in a constant state of denial as having a character flaw. In April, the day relocation was approved, you started a thread about the 08-09 roster just hours after the vote went down. Later, you were one of the ones who said you'd be done with the NBA forever if the Sonics left town and now that it's happened, they're still your team. Character flaw?
Saul
Banned User

Post#28 » by Saul » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:31 pm

I just think that realistically there is no way this team actually ends up in Oklahoma. The thing I have come to accept is that perception is reality in this world. Right now the NBA and OKC are trying to use their media connections to desperately build this perception that the team is "long gone", but I'm pretty sure there is stuff going on behind closed doors like this Howard suit that doesn't come out into the public mindset. The fact is that this team was robbed illlegally and they TRIED to get away with it. There are legal ramifications and right now Stern and the NBA/OKC are back peddling desperately and trying to buy off Howard. What's going to end up happening is that this whole thing will boil over and to prevent a media circus the NBA will be forced to intervene and return the Sonics back to Seattle. This is why Oklahoma has held off on announcing its new jersey and team name, but they keep floating articles about "help vote for the name!" to try to build that perception. it isn't going to work. And I fully 100% expect this team to be playing in Seattle this year with a brand new (more acceptable) lease from Key Arena. These things have a way of working themselves out. The team name thing, the fact they held off on signing Tony Allen, the desperate threats from Stern... it all adds up to Sonics playing here and a forced sale to a local buyer.
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#29 » by djthesonicsfan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:53 pm

Dick Tate wrote:Clever. Speaking of character flaws, some might consider someone who lives in a constant state of denial as having a character flaw. In April, the day relocation was approved, you started a thread about the 08-09 roster just hours after the vote went down. Later, you were one of the ones who said you'd be done with the NBA forever if the Sonics left town and now that it's happened, they're still your team. Character flaw?

As I recently posted in the "coming to terms with this" thread, I'm conflicted on the entire situation. I find that I still have some hope they'll return to Seattle due to the Schultz trial... I still want to follow the team even though I hate the fact they're playing in OKC... I miss reading everyone's posts... & there's zero chance I could even go to the OKC board let alone post there. But I don't think it's a character flaw coming to terms with something that hurt a lot. And I am aware there's a wide range of other feelings on this subject. The last thing I would want to do is further piss off anyone. Including you. But there also has to be some room for the diehard faithfull to express themselves. Including me. So how about it? Are we good?
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
Dick Tate
Veteran

Post#30 » by Dick Tate » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:38 pm

Yeah, we're good. I thought we were good a couple of posts back but then I felt the need to reply to the character flaw quip. I know we all are hurting and I understand the need for folks to handle things in their own way. If you said "I", "My" or "Mine", I doubt i'd have said anything. If you want to still call them your Sonics, that's up to you. The "We", "Ours" or "Us" stuff will likely continue to draw a response though. I'm not a believer of the Schultz case and don't see any way the team comes back. Therefore, I don't see Utah matching the Miles offer as equating to any sort of loss for "us" whatsoever.
McG
Sophomore

Post#31 » by McG » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:14 pm

Good Greg Johns article on Yarmuth's filing here.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#32 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Aug 2, 2008 7:01 am

I'm pulling for Howard and his attorneys to whip the living sh*t outta Bennett. And for Stern to tell Howard this could be costly if he continues, what arrogance. Stern has done a lot for the league in the time I've been watching the NBA but he was out of bounds.

My feeling is if Howard didn't have the money or resources to follow through on this he wouldn't.

Good luck.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball