Nate tells owner to....

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Nate tells owner to.... 

Post#1 » by TBpup » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Reportedly, Mr. Sonic and current TrailBlazer coach Nate McMillan is telling the owner of the Okie's that he won't let his retired Sonics jersey go to Oklahoma and that he'll have nothing to do with any historic franchise transfer or appearences. He also welcomed any Sonic fan to be part of the Blazer community.

Could they hang Nate's jersey in Portland out of respect to the rivalry until Seattle has another NBA team?

:starwars
@TBpup22
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,918

Re: Nate tells owner to.... 

Post#2 » by Dick Tate » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:08 am

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:12 am

Interesting article.

I doubt they would hang Nate's jersey in Portland...I don't think Blazers fans, who had a long rivalry with the Sonics, would go for it. Nor should they, really.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#4 » by jenn_gp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:57 am

Considering the circumstances, I think it would make me feel better if Nate's (and everyone else for the matter) jersey was hung from the rafters in the Rose Garden. I can't handle watching GP retire his jersey in OKC down the line. I'd honestly rather gouge my eyes out.
Saul
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Saul » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:33 pm

I still think that this whole "move to OKC" is just a lot of shock media and scare tactics on the part of the NBA. Because the whole thing happened illegally (which Starbucks will prove), i'm about 95% certain that this team will be playing opening night in Seattle once the league is forced by the government into fixing the situation. BUT... if I'm wrong and that 5% is true and this team really is "long gone" I think it would be cool if the Portland team scheduled a few "home" games in Seattle in the coming years. Maybe even if just pre-season. I know other teams do that sometimes by playing some of their "home games" at other venues to drum up support. An example is that Oklahoma City is playing one of their home games in Tulsa (although I think there is something more to that) and I believe teams like Boston have played games in Connecticut and I believe teams like Miami have played games in Fort Lauderdale. It would be cool to see the Blazers play a couple games in Key Arena, but... I think this whole "portland" thing will be a moot point when the Sonics are returned to Seattle where they are belonged.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#6 » by jenn_gp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Saul wrote:II think it would be cool if the Portland team scheduled a few "home" games in Seattle in the coming years. Maybe even if just pre-season. I know other teams do that sometimes by playing some of their "home games" at other venues to drum up support.

I don't think Portland fans would be very comfortable with that idea, considering there was rumors a year or so ago about Paul Allen moving the Blazers to Seattle if the Sonics left.

It's a cool idea, but I just don't see that idea sitting very well with Portland fans...they don't want to rent their team out, and shouldn't have to either.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,918

Post#7 » by Dick Tate » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:12 pm

All OKC regular season home games are scheduled in Ford Center per their lease. The game in Tulsa is preseason and not even considered a home game. I'd debate the way this guy uses OKC "legends" Mason & Tony Allen to make conflicting points, but why bother? Dude is a nutjob.
Saul
Banned User

Post#8 » by Saul » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:15 pm

Dick Tate wrote:All OKC regular season home games are scheduled in Ford Center per their lease. The game in Tulsa is preseason and not even considered a home game. I'd debate the way this guy uses OKC "legends" Mason & Tony Allen to make conflicting points, but why bother? Dude is a nutjob.

that's my point. They DIDN'T sign Tony Allen. Why not, right? The paper said they were going to, but then they didn't. Something is brewing. This team will play opening night in Seattle. And that's why they just traded for Desmond Mason. But im not going to argue about that with you guys. Everyone here is just so pessimistic.

In the event that you guys are right despite me being 95% certain that you're wrong... why not have the Blazers play a couple preseason games in the Key? Throw Seattle folk an NBA bone.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#9 » by jenn_gp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Saul wrote:that's my point. They DIDN'T sign Tony Allen. Why not, right? The paper said they were going to, but then they didn't. Something is brewing. This team will play opening night in Seattle. And that's why they just traded for Desmond Mason. But im not going to argue about that with you guys. Everyone here is just so pessimistic.

Okay, I'll play crazy for a minute or two as well. What if OKC traded for Desmond Mason because he is familiar with the region, as he's played for Oklahoma State in college. They trade for him because he could act as a "team ambassador/welcome committee" to make players feel comfortable in their podunk town. Let's say D-Mase is also there only because he could be helpful in drawing in better players because he enjoyed his time in Oklahoma as a college player?

Saying that makes about as much sense as your theory Saul..
Saul
Banned User

Post#10 » by Saul » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:44 pm

jenn_gp wrote:
Saul wrote:that's my point. They DIDN'T sign Tony Allen. Why not, right? The paper said they were going to, but then they didn't. Something is brewing. This team will play opening night in Seattle. And that's why they just traded for Desmond Mason. But im not going to argue about that with you guys. Everyone here is just so pessimistic.

Okay, I'll play crazy for a minute or two as well. What if OKC traded for Desmond Mason because he is familiar with the region, as he's played for Oklahoma State in college. They trade for him because he could act as a "team ambassador/welcome committee" to make players feel comfortable in their podunk town. Let's say D-Mase is also there only because he could be helpful in drawing in better players because he enjoyed his time in Oklahoma as a college player?

Well I mean... also because D-Mase played for the Hornets when they were playing in Oklahoma City and was a popular member of the team. But that really doesn't make any sense to me. I say MAYBE there is like a 5% chance that is true, but if that was the intention they should have just traded for Chris Paul. D-Mase is a Sonic legend so the whole thing just makes me think that it's a way to smooth relations with Seattle, bridge the gap of Old Sonic to new Sonics and make ammends with this city when it returns.
BMF Jet Jaguar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#11 » by BMF Jet Jaguar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:06 am

isn't dmase from OKC....
Kobe wrote:Wasn't much of a battle tonight. I kicked his ass tonight.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#12 » by Sweezo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:53 am

Saul wrote:
jenn_gp wrote:

Well I mean... also because D-Mase played for the Hornets when they were playing in Oklahoma City and was a popular member of the team. But that really doesn't make any sense to me. I say MAYBE there is like a 5% chance that is true, but if that was the intention they should have just traded for Chris Paul. D-Mase is a Sonic legend so the whole thing just makes me think that it's a way to smooth relations with Seattle, bridge the gap of Old Sonic to new Sonics and make ammends with this city when it returns.

Sonic legend? Hardly...
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:31 am

Personal opinions on some of these topics as a Blazers fan:

Hang Nate's jersey in Portland? Why? He's probably slated to have a jersey hung as a coach someday, but it would be foolish to honor his contributions as a player in the Rose Garden.

Preseason games in Seattle? Sure, although I'd wait a few years.

Regular season games in Seattle? I'd like to see the NBA play a couple of neutral-site games to help cultivate the game of basketball. Otherwise, no thanks.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Saul
Banned User

Post#14 » by Saul » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:45 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:Personal opinions on some of these topics as a Blazers fan:

Hang Nate's jersey in Portland? Why? He's probably slated to have a jersey hung as a coach someday, but it would be foolish to honor his contributions as a player in the Rose Garden.

Preseason games in Seattle? Sure, although I'd wait a few years.

Regular season games in Seattle? I'd like to see the NBA play a couple of neutral-site games to help cultivate the game of basketball. Otherwise, no thanks.

Right. you remember that Toronto and a few other teams like Boston played in Italy during the preseason last year and I remember a couple years back a couple teams having preseason games in China.

I'm saying that if the local Seattle channels start broadcasting live Portland games in the "absence" of the Sonics, it couldn't hurt for the Blazers to pass through Seattle once in a while since they will now represent the entire North West contingency. But I agree it's best to wait on making any decisions since the Sonics could be returned to Seattle and then having Portland games scheduled at Key Arena would be a sketchy situation.
jenn_gp
Head Coach

Post#15 » by jenn_gp » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Saul wrote:Right. you remember that Toronto and a few other teams like Boston played in Italy during the preseason last year and I remember a couple years back a couple teams having preseason games in China.

But those are countries that don't have the NBA readily available to them, that's why that makes sense. If Seattle wants to watch the NBA, they are going to have to drive a few hours south. You won't find me doing that anytime soon.

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball