The countdown is on

The place to discuss the history of Seattle Supersonics Basketball.

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

The countdown is on 

Post#1 » by Ex-hippie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:10 pm

Thought this was kinda funny:

http://iwantoutofokc.com/
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Re: The countdown is on 

Post#2 » by jenn_gp » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:17 pm

That's funny.
I also like the tiny print posted at the bottom of the page:
Built by a bitter basketball fan in Seattle.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,918

Post#3 » by Dick Tate » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Reality bites.
Durant is firm on his commitment to Oklahoma City.
"I want to be here as long as possible," Durant said. "That's what I tell everybody. I want to be part of the organization for my whole career if it can happen. So I'm not thinking about it at all."

http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-player-kevin-durant-i-want-to-be-here-as-long-as-possible/article/3325408?custom_click=headlines_widget
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Ex-hippie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:56 pm

Of course he tells the local fans what they want to hear, for now. All I can say is: when he puts his money where his mouth is, I'll believe it.

The only issue that gives me pause is that key word: "money." In the NBA, the salary cap is the great equalizer, as is the CBA rule allowing teams to re-sign their own players for more than others can offer. Because of these great equalizers, people in the NBA readily sign contracts to live in places like Salt Lake City, Sacramento and Portland. OKC can offer the most money, and they will in all likelihood do so (he's no Rashard Lewis; he won't be allowed to get away for a few measley draft picks). So, yes, he could, in fact, stick around. But I refuse to believe it's because he really, really wants to be there.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#5 » by bennith13 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:29 am

Plus, the more they lose the less he is going to want to be there.
D5150
Starter
And1: 3

Post#6 » by D5150 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:10 pm

Here is another dose of "reality" for you Dick:

Not surprisingly, LeBron James was asked on Wednesday if he ever thinks about the possibility of playing for the Knicks.

'No, that might be worse than that fan running out on the court," said James.

"You don't think about it," said James when asked about leaving Cleveland. "I am in a great situation. I am home, my family gets to see me play, the organization has been nothing but great to me. I have no reason to think about going anywhere else at this point."

That looks kind of familiar. I don't believe Lebron either.
Don't act like you're not impressed.
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,918

Post#7 » by Dick Tate » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:54 pm

... at this point."
When KD reaches LeBron's tenure, then it's time for OKC to worry. The first rookie max extension is almost always an automatic given. If KD shocks and only takes a 1-yr QO, then we'd know he was serious. A long way to go before then. By that time he'll have a pretty solid core of high draft picks surrounding him, just like all the (formerly) happy tankers wanted in the first place.

Good to hear from you, Eddie. Have you thought about joining the facebook group? It's a nice place without the trolls.
jenn_gp
Head Coach
And1: 6

Post#8 » by jenn_gp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:25 pm

I personally haven't heard/seen Durant play like he gets to choose where he wants play. In other words, I haven't seen anything all that special from him this year. He looks like he hasn't spent anytime in the gym--he needs to add more muscle to his body so that he doesn't cough up the ball whenever he gets bumped. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that he still shoots way too much. But then again, on a team like that, I'm sure he gets to shoot as much as his heart desires.

I've lost all interest in watching him. I've lost all my passion in wanting to see him succeed on an individual level. IMO he hasn't warranted a reason to be high up on the FA list. Maybe that will change, but right now I haven't seen anything special from him in the 3 Thunder games I've watched.

And no, I don't feel this way just because he's on the Thunder. He just hasn't been very impressive to start the season IMO.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#9 » by wiff » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:41 am

Dick Tate wrote:Reality bites.
Durant is firm on his commitment to Oklahoma City.
"I want to be here as long as possible," Durant said. "That's what I tell everybody. I want to be part of the organization for my whole career if it can happen. So I'm not thinking about it at all."

http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-player-kevin-durant-i-want-to-be-here-as-long-as-possible/article/3325408?custom_click=headlines_widget

Hey Dick what else can he say? They are 1-16. How many people would show up if he said that he hated the city? Or if he simply said he liked Seattle better. Of course he has to tow the company line. But when the chance comes for him to split I bet he'll be on the first horse out of town.

I know OKC can give him the biggest NBA contract. But let's remember MJ made far more money off the court in endorsements than he ever made on the court. One decent sized endorsement and he'll make up the difference between the two contracts.

Plus do you really think he enjoys all the L's they have been racking up? Guy's who are as competitive as Durant don't deal with losing very easily.

So here's to 1-81 for the rest of the season.

D5 nice to see you around
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#10 » by PDXKnight » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:02 pm

It's alright. Portland will do everything to make sure that team doesn't retain him! :D

Return to Seattle Supersonics Basketball