ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: There is a Game Today - Raps@Nets 7:30 EST

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,609

Re: GT: There is a Game Today - Raps@Nets 7:30 EST 

Post#281 » by Scase » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:58 am

JB7 wrote:
Scase wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
You can’t convince me that Banchero/Franz/Suggs is a championship core. I don’t even think the Magic made a bad decision to tank. It was time as Weltman waited way too long to break up a bad team. But what some people don’t understand is that it’s extremely rare for a tanking team to land a superstar caliber player. Rockets, Thunder, Magic, Pistons and Cavs are all teams that spent a lot of time in the lottery and none of them got a superstar. The problem is you can get good players in the draft like Banchero and Franz and it is enough to lift that team out of the lottery.

Unless Banchero makes incredible improvements in his game then he’s not taking that team anywhere.

Who said anything about a championship core? They are literally about to make the playoffs for the first time since they started a rebuild, you only said this place would be depressing if that is what we had. And I absolutely disagree, people were singing massive praises for our team when we won 48 games post Tampa and had high hopes for the future. And you think they would be LESS happy if we were 2 games out of 2nd in the east after not making the playoffs for 4 years?

I mean christ, people were hyped when we made the PLAY IN.

Allow me to flip your post on you :

You can't convince me that RJ/IQ/Barnes is a championship core either. Banchero/Franz/Suggs are all in years 2/3/3. Our core are in years 3/5/4, I would put my money on the group of younger players with comparable skill levels, over the older ones. Masai took too long to break up a bad team. You can get good players in the draft like RJ and IQ and it is enough to lift that team out of the lottery?

Unless Scottie makes incredible improvements in his game then he’s not taking that team anywhere.

Literally all of your criticisms of the magic can easily be cast right back at the Raps with almost a 1:1 comparison. The only difference is that I think Scottie has a higher ceiling than Paolo. Franz is younger and a better 2 way player than RJ, and IQ is to offence, what Suggs is to defence.

I would happily do a 1:1 trade of RJ for Franz. You know who wouldn't? The Magic.

What I like about the Raps young core over the Magic’s is the Raps core are all different and yet complementary players. RJ is great at driving to the basket and finishing around it, which is needed to get the D to back off the teams shooters. He can also hit the open 3. IQ has got the PG duties handled and is a knockdown shooter. Dick is another lights out shooter, and doesn’t demand the ball, while seeking out the open spaces to score. And Barnes can pretty much do anything out on the floor, while primarily looking to create for his teammates.

For the Magic, both Franz and Banchero seem to have similar skill sets, and it becomes a matter of each taking their turn. Even the backcourt of Black and Suggs both are very similar - lengthy defenders that are not great scorers. And none of them are knockdown shooters.

It’s also hard to build a core that you can’t rely on to make shots in the clutch. Raps fans know that all too well from the last few seasons.

It is much easier to find defensive players that can be substituted in for key possessions, then it is to develop clutch scoring in players that have just not had that ability throughout their careers.

I agree for the most part, but I am absolutely not sold on RJs limited game. I would still take Franz over him 10 times out of 10. RJ is in his 5th year and hasn't developed or added anything new to his game.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors