ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 461

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1341 » by CazOnReal » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:38 am

Thaddy wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:Re: Poeltl if we get Sarr

I don't think Jakob would be an immediate trade candidate since you could run in to the same scenario as the Blazers where you take the unknown over the known i.e. Ant is just straight up better than Scoot and while he's probably more valuable, trading Ant could backfire if Scoot never develops into a franchise PG. If the right offer comes around then sure, trade Jakob but I think you'll want to see how Sarr performs in Summer League - if not, the preseason at minimum - before you trade Poeltl.

The same goes for Missi, Clingan or Chomche though I think it goes without saying the expectations for all 3 of those guys are significantly lower i.e. if Yves can give you a good 15-20 minutes at the 5 and Scottie or whomever takes over the remaining center minutes as a small ball 5 then you're getting that Bench Mob: The New Generation together ahead of schedule.

One other thing with Sarr is that his position in the NBA is...ambiguous for now? I think there's a world where you play him at the 4 like the Grizzlies do JJJ but it depends a lot on if he can translate his midrange game into a competent outside shot diet. I'd compare him to Evan Mobley as a prospect though he's less promising defensively than Evan was and further ahead offensively. Also not as good a ball handler but I digress.

I will say I waffle back and forth between trading Jakob and not so if you asked me this a different day then you might get a different response.

Sarr probably isn't even top 5 on Masai's draft board. I would guess he's ranking Buzelis, Holland, and Risacher higher based on their offense and physical profile.

Given all the rumors of us trying to trade up to get Evan Mobley in the 2021 draft and how Sarr is very reminiscent of Mobley as a prospect, I would be very surprised if he's not on that board.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,465

Post#1342 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 am

Thaddy wrote:

I don't think Jakob would be an immediate trade candidate since you could run in to the same scenario as the Blazers where you take the unknown over the known i.e. Ant is just straight up better than Scoot and while he's probably more valuable, trading Ant could backfire if Scoot never develops into a franchise PG. If the right offer comes around then sure, trade Jakob but I think you'll want to see how Sarr performs in Summer League - if not, the preseason at minimum - before you trade Poeltl.

The same goes for Missi, Clingan or Chomche though I think it goes without saying the expectations for all 3 of those guys are significantly lower i.e. if Yves can give you a good 15-20 minutes at the 5 and Scottie or whomever takes over the remaining center minutes as a small ball 5 then you're getting that Bench Mob: The New Generation together ahead of schedule.

One other thing with Sarr is that his position in the NBA is...ambiguous for now? I think there's a world where you play him at the 4 like the Grizzlies do JJJ but it depends a lot on if he can translate his midrange game into a competent outside shot diet. I'd compare him to Evan Mobley as a prospect though he's less promising defensively than Evan was and further ahead offensively. Also not as good a ball handler but I digress.

I will say I waffle back and forth between trading Jakob and not so if you asked me this a different day then you might get a different response.

Sarr probably isn't even top 5 on Masai's draft board. I would guess he's ranking Buzelis, Holland, and Risacher higher based on their offense and physical profile.

Only way we end up with Sarr is if we manage to jump up and grab the #1 pick. If that does happen then yes, I wouldn't think twice about moving Poeltl to the Grizzlies and taking back #8 and some salary in order to take Holland if he is still on the board.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 208

Post#1343 » by RoteSchroder » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

Only way we end up with Sarr is if we manage to jump up and grab the #1 pick. If that does happen then yes, I wouldn't think twice about moving Poeltl to the Grizzlies and taking back #8 and some salary in order to take Holland if he is still on the board.

Sarr is more of a PF with good perimeter defense, but still raw offensively. He gets dominated by 6’9 post bigs all the time. He should be used as a back up PF in the short term.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,518

Post#1344 » by mtcan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:59 am

If we land #1...pick is probably Sarr. Sarr could absolutely start beside Poeltl. If Mobley can coexist with Allen in Cleveland...Sarr and Poeltl could be very good defensively. I would start the season like that and reevaluate at the trade deadline. Poeltl at the trade deadline or as an expiring would be easy to move.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,783

Post#1345 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am

Sarr as a rookie will be same age as Mobley’s lone college season. Guy is still raw but I think he’s better than Mobley in 3 seasons.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,595

Post#1346 » by DG88 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 pm

As I'm working through the prospects I'm currently leaning with Devin Carter and Kyshawn George with the 19th pick. Still shifting through more so let's see how long my list gets.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#1347 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 pm

I wonder who unexpectedly 'drops' to 19
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,660

Post#1348 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 pm

For the 15th consecutive season, I have declared for the NBA draft.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,595

Post#1349 » by DG88 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:For the 15th consecutive season, I have declared for the NBA draft.

What's your agent saying your range is :P
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,660

Post#1350 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm

DG88 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:For the 15th consecutive season, I have declared for the NBA draft.

61 - 1,000,000,000
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,656

Post#1351 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:00 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
DG88 wrote:

61 - 1,000,000,000

Still ahead of Bronny.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,568

Post#1352 » by WuTang_OG » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

il be shocked if we dont come out of draft with a back up pg across 6?, 19, 31

team needs it
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#1353 » by Thaddy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:22 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:il be shocked if we dont come out of draft with a back up pg across 6?, 19, 31

team needs it

Wouldn't that affect Barnes development?
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,518

Post#1354 » by mtcan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
DG88 wrote:

61 - 1,000,000,000

That is worth a summer league invite and then betting on yourself. :wink:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,656

Post#1355 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 pm

Thaddy wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:il be shocked if we dont come out of draft with a back up pg across 6?, 19, 31

team needs it

I guess Stephon Castle fits as someone that can guard SG's and PG's. Really a POA defender like Bruce Brown, but he plays like a SF. Castle has the handles and A/T of a combo guard. I am good with Castle like a Marcus Smart.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,568

Post#1356 » by WuTang_OG » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 pm

Thaddy wrote:

team needs it

No he will still get plenty of opportunities to initiate offense
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,465

Post#1357 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm

Psubs wrote:
Thaddy wrote:

team needs it

I guess Stephon Castle fits as someone that can guard SG's and PG's. Really a POA defender like Bruce Brown, but he plays like a SF. Castle has the handles and A/T of a combo guard. I am good with Castle like a Marcus Smart.

Would probably pass Castle. I actually like the guy a lot but he's not going be on the board at 19 and given the fact that both guys we have at PG and SG are better than he projects to be and we have needs at other spots, it's probably best not to give him too much consideration.

If what we're looking for is a backup guard, there should be a few available later like McCain, Kolek and maybe even guys like Collier and Carter if we're very lucky.

If we manage to keep #6, we need to take a swing here on a guy who has the greatest chance to make the greatest impact.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1358 » by MEDIC » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 pm

Castle reminds me of Norman Powell with better court vision and passing ability.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
koolguy
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#1359 » by koolguy » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:45 am

Tyler Smith would fit nicely with the raps and is projected to be around late first round. Decent athlete/motor, can shoot 3s well (NBA range), and has good size who can develop into a stretch 4/5. Used to be guard but had a late growth spurt so still has ways to go as a big. Worth taking a shot due to his age and potential, and I think his weaknesses can be developed over time: strength/finishing touch at the rim/left hand.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,593

Post#1360 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:03 am

koolguy wrote:Tyler Smith would fit nicely with the raps and is projected to be around late first round. Decent athlete/motor, can shoot 3s well (NBA range), and has good size who can develop into a stretch 4/5. Used to be guard but had a late growth spurt so still has ways to go as a big. Worth taking a shot due to his age and potential, and I think his weaknesses can be developed over time: strength/finishing touch at the rim/left hand.

Would really compliment the stretch big component that we are missing. He does fit with us and has some upside

In Raptor Ball I Trust

Return to Toronto Raptors