ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,406

Re: Woj: Expect a lot of player movement this summer 

Post#161 » by TimeForChange » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 pm

Scase wrote:
Tripod wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:They can want shooters everywhere all they want - guys like JV already are feasting on them. When they play against a team with a big they cannot run off the floor they are screwed.

Every team wants a big that can shoot. Reality is you aren't getting one for less than 30M a year or without giving up a huge # of assets

JV is feasting? He has had 13 and 19 points in the 2 games.

Only 7 C's make 30 million

OKC HAS lots of assets to do what they want if a C they want comes available. But the one thing us clear, they don't want a C like Yak because he disrupts how they play offense every possession. Now could they add a cheap, backup version of Yak....sure. But they 100% would go after a guy like WCJ if available vs Yak if available.

JV had 11 in the 1st Q of game 2, they only played him 22min. OKC didn't adjust to it, they stopped playing him. JV has been doing great.

JV is unplayable on defense.

points aren't the only thing you can judge a player on.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,267

Post#162 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:47 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Scase wrote:
Tripod wrote:JV is feasting? He has had 13 and 19 points in the 2 games.

OKC HAS lots of assets to do what they want if a C they want comes available. But the one thing us clear, they don't want a C like Yak because he disrupts how they play offense every possession. Now could they add a cheap, backup version of Yak....sure. But they 100% would go after a guy like WCJ if available vs Yak if available.

JV had 11 in the 1st Q of game 2, they only played him 22min. OKC didn't adjust to it, they stopped playing him. JV has been doing great.

That was my point tho - he feasted on them on one end. Once OKC goes up against a C who won’t be ran off the floor it could get ugly. How do they stop Jokic?

I understand no one can really stop him, but he’s not even going to feel even a tad of resistance
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,370

Post#163 » by Scase » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:13 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Scase wrote:
Tripod wrote:JV is feasting? He has had 13 and 19 points in the 2 games.

No one is saying he is DPOY level, but unplayable is absolutely a stretch.
Props TZ!
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,610

Post#164 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 pm

DG88 wrote:Considering all these tax teams are about to lose in the first round, Woj is right there will be a lot of player movement this summer. Raptors have to be aggressive in getting assets to build the team.

I agree with you but we don’t have much to offer. Those teams are in win now mode.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,406

Post#165 » by TimeForChange » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 pm

Scase wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
Scase wrote:JV had 11 in the 1st Q of game 2, they only played him 22min. OKC didn't adjust to it, they stopped playing him. JV has been doing great.

did you watch the last game or are you just basing your opinion on highlights or conjecture?

do you think the coach didn't play him more than 22 minutes for some other reason? because like you said, he was scoring well in the first.

OKC abused the crap out of JV in game 2 and they will continue to do so. The only hope NO had was playing zone with JV on the floor, which OKC was easily able to counter.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,370

Post#166 » by Scase » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Scase wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:JV is unplayable on defense.

did you watch the last game or are you just basing your opinion on highlights or conjecture?

do you think the coach didn't play him more than 22 minutes for some other reason? because like you said, he was scoring well in the first.

OKC abused the crap out of JV in game 2 and they will continue to do so. The only hope NO had was playing zone with JV on the floor, which OKC was easily able to counter.

I've watched both, and it wasn't to that level lol. OKC was 1st in the west, JV is far from a defensive powerhouse, but it's more about the fact that OKC is way better than them, than anything.
Props TZ!
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,149

Post#167 » by ItsDanger » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Scase wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:JV is unplayable on defense.

To be more accurate, Pelicans weren't switching properly early in the game. Sometimes teams get hot from 3. You don't change tactics that weren't even applied correctly based on 1 game in playoffs. Guards are getting beaten off dribble, not fighting through screens in many games creating open looks, but somehow they consistently avoid blame.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,899

Post#168 » by deeps6x » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Kinds sure would have been looking better if they'd have been willing to trade Murray for Siakam.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,359

Post#169 » by JB7 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
JB7 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
Rose has done a good job (it helps when you operate in that gray area of "tampering") but I do think the NY market is going to cause them to get an itchy finger. I think they make a move for KAT or Zion.

Definitely. They have been talking about adding another star for such a long time, and with the way Brunson has developed, I think they go the KAT route, rather than the Mitchell or Zion route.

KAT would be a nice 2nd option beside Brunson, as a floor spacer. And the Knicks could better cover up KAT's defensive shortcomings.

Knicks big 3 then becomes Brunson, KAT & OG.

Yeah you can see right now, in the absence of #2 Randle, how much KAT would complete their roster. He could play stretch 5 sometimes too.

When I started watching them after the trade, when they had such a great January run, I thought the played too much iso ball with Randle and Brunson just taking turns. When JR and OG went out the ball movement became better even though still lots of iso by Brunson in all those 30+ pt games. KAT would give them spacing and a better flow and balance.

If Minny has a great playoff run, even gets to the Finals, would they really move a star like KAT though? On the other hand KAT is CAA and Randle left CAA in the past year

Wolves cannot spend what they have committed in salaries. KAT is the most logical trade candidate, as the team can function fine without him, focusing on their D. And Reid is a cheaper replacement for what KAT provides to the team.
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 254

Post#170 » by Consequence » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:18 pm

Cavs getting manhandled. What's the plan there? Max Mobley and pray that Mitchell doesn't walk while Garland has looked like booty flakes for months?
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,205

Post#171 » by TorontoBarneys » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:41 pm

deeps6x wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Kinds sure would have been looking better if they'd have been willing to trade Murray for Siakam.

I think it's unlikely they get a player as good as Siakam even if they dangle Murray in the summer.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,794

Post#172 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:58 pm

Murray would have been a homerun for raptors

Too bad

They were willing to take Siakam even without an extension because it would have cleared them Barnes and Huerter off the books. Now they’ll have to give up assets to move those guys
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,707

Post#173 » by binjumper » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:Murray would have been a homerun for raptors

Too bad

They were willing to take Siakam even without an extension because it would have cleared them Barnes and Huerter off the books. Now they’ll have to give up assets to move those guys

Murray was never on the table.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#174 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:10 pm

binjumper wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:Murray would have been a homerun for raptors

Too bad

Murray was never on the table.

I’m well aware. My comment is in response to the Ringer/Kevin O’Connor tweet about Murray might have to be on the table now
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,879

Post#175 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 pm

JB7 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
JB7 wrote:
Definitely. They have been talking about adding another star for such a long time, and with the way Brunson has developed, I think they go the KAT route, rather than the Mitchell or Zion route.

KAT would be a nice 2nd option beside Brunson, as a floor spacer. And the Knicks could better cover up KAT's defensive shortcomings.

Knicks big 3 then becomes Brunson, KAT & OG.

Yeah you can see right now, in the absence of #2 Randle, how much KAT would complete their roster. He could play stretch 5 sometimes too.

When I started watching them after the trade, when they had such a great January run, I thought the played too much iso ball with Randle and Brunson just taking turns. When JR and OG went out the ball movement became better even though still lots of iso by Brunson in all those 30+ pt games. KAT would give them spacing and a better flow and balance.

If Minny has a great playoff run, even gets to the Finals, would they really move a star like KAT though? On the other hand KAT is CAA and Randle left CAA in the past year

Wolves cannot spend what they have committed in salaries. KAT is the most logical trade candidate, as the team can function fine without him, focusing on their D. And Reid is a cheaper replacement for what KAT provides to the team.

You're giving me hope
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,996

Post#176 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:23 pm

Consequence wrote:Cavs getting manhandled. What's the plan there? Max Mobley and pray that Mitchell doesn't walk while Garland has looked like booty flakes for months?

Pretty simple.
I've been saying this for quite some time now...

Cavs need to choose one of Garland and Mitchell and then one of Mobley and Allen.

Trade the other two guys for wings (ideally 3&D).

Siakam and/or OG would've been perfect for the Cavs.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,291

Post#177 » by Tripod » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

JV feasting again with 7 points today.

Could only get on the court for 11:58

C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,695

Post#178 » by C_Money » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:24 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Consequence wrote:Cavs getting manhandled. What's the plan there? Max Mobley and pray that Mitchell doesn't walk while Garland has looked like booty flakes for months?

Pretty simple.

Cavs need to choose one of Garland and Mitchell and then one of Mobley and Allen.

They need a #2 scorer next to Mitchell. That’s supposed to be Garland but he kinda sucks.

They need to do something this summer or Mitchell will leave.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#179 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm

C_Money wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Pretty simple.

They need a #2 scorer next to Mitchell. That’s supposed to be Garland but he kinda sucks.

They need to do something this summer or Mitchell will leave.

I think he leaves next summer to Brooklyn
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#180 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 pm

Going to be a fascinating summer. Woj probably right, I just hope he was right on Brown trade value. Could make arguments that some of these teams could be in another category, but here’s what I got:

Teams with high expectations going nowhere:
Lakers
Warriors
Phoenix
Clippers
Bucks
Sixers

Teams stuck mid or worse:
Kings
Pelicans
Bulls
Hawks
Brooklyn
HEAT
Cavs

Teams striving for more:
Jazz
Grizzlies
Rockets
Magic
Knicks
Pacers
Mavs

Teams desperate to get out of the gutter:
Pistons
Hornets (new ownership/management too)

Team that can do whatever the **** they want:
Thunder
Spurs

Teams with motivation to continue to suck:
Washington
Portland

Team facing serious tax implications:
Wolves

Team that must win or then what:
Celtics

Team laughing that stays the course no matter what:
Nuggets

…and then there are the Raptors.

Bottom line: big time potential for a wild summer.

Edit: just to summarize this, there are only 3 boring teams this offseason: Nuggets, Wizards, and Blazers. Every other team has a story.

Return to Toronto Raptors