ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1601 » by CazOnReal » Sun May 5, 2024 1:46 am

HangTime wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Yes, but it's weird that only teams with picks in those ranges get that info. What if a team wanted to trade up? This seems prohibitive and discourages big draft day moves.

Could a medical report be used as an asset? Say The Raptors jump up to #1, and aren't enamored with anyone, so we trade down

#1 + Sarr's Medicals + Buzelis' Medical
for
#17 (New Orleans from LAL) + 2025 FRP + _____

That is not how trades work - and frankly it would be f^cked up to have someone's medicals be used as an asset before they even get in to the league like this.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,845

Post#1602 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun May 5, 2024 8:42 am

Found the steal of the draft - Carlton Carrington. Raps are set if they draft him
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#1603 » by Thaddy » Sun May 5, 2024 9:07 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Found the steal of the draft - Carlton Carrington. Raps are set if they draft him

This doesn't make him look great.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,735

Post#1604 » by Yallbecrazy » Sun May 5, 2024 12:14 pm

He's probably a late 2nd rounder.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,159

Post#1605 » by tecumseh18 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:19 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:He's probably a late 2nd rounder.

Carrington? Tankathon has him at #29. CBS has him at #22. SI at #40. NBAdraft.net at #18.

They have some interesting stats on Tankathon. He's a 6' 5" PG with a 2-1 ATO ratio. His projected 3-point shooting in the NBA is .366. I mean, you could do worse with the Detroit pick if he falls to there.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,735

Post#1606 » by Yallbecrazy » Sun May 5, 2024 2:13 pm

played on a decent team with lots of spacing. Couldn't score inside, and a poor defender.

At least he's very young and a good shooter, but there's nothing that stands out as a + skill.
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 595

Post#1607 » by Gavin_TDThree » Sun May 5, 2024 3:11 pm

Psubs wrote:
Gavin_TDThree wrote:Aside from Sarr, I think I'm leaning

Topic - 2-6
- his passing vision and touch is an elite skill.
- Strong FT%, finishes at the rim.
- I think he has the highest ceiling in this draft. If he shooting comes around then he could be a 20pt 10ast threat each night

McCain - 19th
- Elite shooter
- High character
- Hard worker which hopefully means more of his game opens up. Could he become CJ McCollum, Bane?

da Silva - 31st
- He just does so much
- Ultimate connective piece

I think DaSilva will drop due to being a senior and not that high of a BPM. He seems to be decent floor, 6th man / spot starter like a Jeff Green. Likely never and allstar but will be cheaply retainable player around the MLE that helps a solid bench for a championship contender.

I'd still like to gamble on super raw Chomche at #19. He might only end up as Bebe level player but maybe with more desire to play basketball? That's not a terrible outcome to get a backup C at #19.

I agree reference DaSilva. He strikes me as a guy who's going to be a rotation player on a good team for the next 10+ years. Jeff Green is a good comp
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#1608 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun May 5, 2024 3:44 pm

I don't think Carrington is available at #31, someone will take him before that
TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 918

Post#1609 » by TNRaps4life » Sun May 5, 2024 4:29 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:I don't think Carrington is available at #31, someone will take him before that

Da Silva won't be there at 31 too.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,491

Post#1610 » by PhilBlackson » Sun May 5, 2024 4:43 pm

Yeah Bub has been mentioned a lot in this thread and I'd be stunned too if he's there at 31...

He's going to be a steal for someone...personally I doubt that we draft him, mainly due to the fact he may be listed as a PG but his game is clearly a SG and we have RJ & Gradey at that position. Masai made it clear what the franchise is looking a) longer wing defender b) back up SG c) 3rd string developmental C. Now personally I'd totally be down for taking him at 19 and seeing if the franchise can improve his skills as a facilitator but personally I think they're likely going to take someone who's already played the position ie/ McCain, Carter, Collier etc... The other smaller reason I don't see it happening, is if we're honest Masai & Co seem to avoid players that have an "edge", they love themselves the nice guy types. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks take him with one of their picks or maybe even MIN. Again I'd be happy to draft him but I just have my doubts that our FO does that for those reasons. If he's still there at 31, I think it would be crazy to pass on him, he may not be a star in the making but he's gonna be a NBA player.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,491

Post#1611 » by PhilBlackson » Sun May 5, 2024 4:52 pm

TNRaps4life wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:I don't think Carrington is available at #31, someone will take him before that

Da Silva won't be there at 31 too.

Meh big deal…Da Silva projects to be a solid role player on the high end. I give Bub a chance to be something a notch above that with his ability to create off the dribble (something this roster sorely lacks), DaSilva is a nice spot player in the rotation like a Oubre, Batum etc but nothing I’d be too worried about regretting passing on. Don’t get me wrong I’m ok with drafting Da Silva (with the DET pick) but I wouldn’t be too bothered if we passed on him tbh.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,895

Post#1612 » by Thaddy » Sun May 5, 2024 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Seems like Topic has conditioning concerns. I'm almost sure he or his camp lied about his size and length too.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,799

Post#1613 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sun May 5, 2024 5:23 pm

Thaddy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Seems like Topic has conditioning concerns. I'm almost sure he or his camp lied about his size and length too.

Sounds like the same issues Luka and Jokic have. Not saying he’s those guys, but it hasn’t hurt them in the least. Certain guys are naturally more chunky than others.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,761

Post#1614 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Sun May 5, 2024 7:10 pm

Thaddy wrote:
Read on Twitter

At just 18 years of age, Nikola Topic won the ABA League Top Prospect award and was honored with a place in the Ideal Starting Five after playing for Mega MIS and Crvena Zvezda Meridainbet this season.

Before that, he dominated at the youth level, winning the 2023 European championship with the Serbian national team and the MVP award. He was also an MVP of the ANGT Qualifiers in Belgrade and dominated the second part of the 2022/23 season in the Serbian championship with OKK Belgrade.

Besides many accolades, the talented Serbian, who is projected to be among the top picks at the upcoming 2024 NBA Draft, shared the locker room and the court with European stars like Facundo Campazzo, Luca Vildoza, and this season – Milos Teodosic.

“It is needless for me to talk about what kind of talent we are talking about… I am glad to see his great dedication to basketball and his abnormal seriousness, which he has even more than necessary for his age. A bright future lies ahead for Topic. I am sure he will make the most of the opportunities that come his way. With his mindset and way of thinking – I really don’t worry,” Milos Teodosic said about Topic to Meridian Sport.

The legendary Serbian point guard sees him as a leader of the Serbian national team in the future.

“Now we have Vasilije Micic, who is playing great, and Nikola, who is very young. With Vasa and Bogdan Bogdanovic, he can learn a lot. He is certainly someone who, in perspective, should lead the national team. I know his great desire to play for the national team, and I have no doubt that he is our future for the next 15 years.”

He also had a chance to work with a decorated and experienced head coach, Dusko Ivanovic, at Crvena Zvezda.

“When Dusko came, he had complaints about Topic’s body fat percentage. Since I knew all the data, I told Dusko that Nikola doesn’t have a problem with the percentage of fat; it just looks that way because he is muscular. Dusko persisted and demanded measurement. I told him the number, but he didn’t believe it and asked for another measurement. The next morning, the device showed even less than what I said. I bring him the paper with the results; Dusko laughs and says: Impossible, but okay…” Crvena Zvezda’s sports director Milan Dozet said to Meridian sport.

He continued explaining that Topic is also a physical specimen besides having many basketball qualities.

“After that, he made an excuse that Nikola must improve his jump. Why? I immediately ask Dusko and laugh again because I know the results of the jump, speed endurance, sprints, changes of direction… And I know that in the year with older players in the younger selections, he had the best results after Lazar Đoković. I explained to him that Nikola shoots like that, but otherwise, he can jump and dunk over players. At that moment, little Top talks to the assistant coach under the basket, and I tell him: Tope, come dunk. And Topic dunks with two hands without dragging his feet under the basket. Dusko shakes his head… Another thing checked! He does a lot thanks to an extraordinary head, but he is also a quite physically dominant player.”

Stefan Markovic, another point guard with vast experience at the top of European basketball, was among Nikola’s mentors.

“He had a great influence on Topic. For the first time since I’ve been at Zvezda last year, the whole first team came to watch a junior game. Because of Nikola, they came to the final of the ANGT tournament after he had trained with them. Without anyone calling them, they showed up at the game and thus showed their attitude towards Topic, as well as his towards them. They clicked so fast.”

Campazzo and Vildoza were impressed with what they saw, and they had a chance to work with him when he was 17 years old.

“Campazzo and Vildoza told me they had never seen such a mature person with so few years. He is really a stable child, but he is not a child. Although the years say differently, I never met him as a child. He is a grown-up, formed man.”

Crvena Zvezda’s head coach, Giannis Sfairopoulos, wanted him back from the loan at Mega, and by the end of 2023, Topic rejoined the club. Unfortunately, injury prevented him from leaving a bigger mark, but his return had an immediate effect.

“I will quote Giannis Sfairopoulos. Topic raised the level of training by 30 percent. He sped up the team so much and gave life and energy. He didn’t come alone; three foreigners arrived, and I can’t say that anyone brought a fraction of the energy that Nikola brought to the team.”

Dozet also spoke about interest from the NBA.

“Many NBA scouts came to watch him before the draft, and now, when we played in Podgorica against the SC Derby, one general manager approached me—intentionally, I won’t say which team—and said that it is scary to him that no one who knows Topic has said a single bad word. He asked me to say something bad about him. I told him, and I really think so—that Nikola Topic is far worse a player than he is a person.”

The projections vary, but how high can Nikola Topic go at the 2024 NBA draft?

“I won’t say who it is, but one assistant general manager said that Topic is his first pick. It is very possible that if they are the first to pick, they will choose Topic,” Crvena Zvezda’s sports director Milan Dozet concluded.

Topic played just two games for Crvena Zvezda in the ABA League this season, but he has recovered from injury and is back in action after a couple of months. In his 15 appearances for Mega and his current club, the talented Serbian averaged 17.2 points, 6.4 assists, and 3.5 rebounds for an average PIR of 18.7. Not a bad stat line for an 18-year-old player.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#1615 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun May 5, 2024 7:19 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:
Thaddy wrote:
Read on Twitter

At just 18 years of age, Nikola Topic won the ABA League Top Prospect award and was honored with a place in the Ideal Starting Five after playing for Mega MIS and Crvena Zvezda Meridainbet this season.

Before that, he dominated at the youth level, winning the 2023 European championship with the Serbian national team and the MVP award. He was also an MVP of the ANGT Qualifiers in Belgrade and dominated the second part of the 2022/23 season in the Serbian championship with OKK Belgrade.

Besides many accolades, the talented Serbian, who is projected to be among the top picks at the upcoming 2024 NBA Draft, shared the locker room and the court with European stars like Facundo Campazzo, Luca Vildoza, and this season – Milos Teodosic.

“It is needless for me to talk about what kind of talent we are talking about… I am glad to see his great dedication to basketball and his abnormal seriousness, which he has even more than necessary for his age. A bright future lies ahead for Topic. I am sure he will make the most of the opportunities that come his way. With his mindset and way of thinking – I really don’t worry,” Milos Teodosic said about Topic to Meridian Sport.

The legendary Serbian point guard sees him as a leader of the Serbian national team in the future.

“Now we have Vasilije Micic, who is playing great, and Nikola, who is very young. With Vasa and Bogdan Bogdanovic, he can learn a lot. He is certainly someone who, in perspective, should lead the national team. I know his great desire to play for the national team, and I have no doubt that he is our future for the next 15 years.”

He also had a chance to work with a decorated and experienced head coach, Dusko Ivanovic, at Crvena Zvezda.

“When Dusko came, he had complaints about Topic’s body fat percentage. Since I knew all the data, I told Dusko that Nikola doesn’t have a problem with the percentage of fat; it just looks that way because he is muscular. Dusko persisted and demanded measurement. I told him the number, but he didn’t believe it and asked for another measurement. The next morning, the device showed even less than what I said. I bring him the paper with the results; Dusko laughs and says: Impossible, but okay…” Crvena Zvezda’s sports director Milan Dozet said to Meridian sport.

He continued explaining that Topic is also a physical specimen besides having many basketball qualities.

“After that, he made an excuse that Nikola must improve his jump. Why? I immediately ask Dusko and laugh again because I know the results of the jump, speed endurance, sprints, changes of direction… And I know that in the year with older players in the younger selections, he had the best results after Lazar Đoković. I explained to him that Nikola shoots like that, but otherwise, he can jump and dunk over players. At that moment, little Top talks to the assistant coach under the basket, and I tell him: Tope, come dunk. And Topic dunks with two hands without dragging his feet under the basket. Dusko shakes his head… Another thing checked! He does a lot thanks to an extraordinary head, but he is also a quite physically dominant player.”

Stefan Markovic, another point guard with vast experience at the top of European basketball, was among Nikola’s mentors.

“He had a great influence on Topic. For the first time since I’ve been at Zvezda last year, the whole first team came to watch a junior game. Because of Nikola, they came to the final of the ANGT tournament after he had trained with them. Without anyone calling them, they showed up at the game and thus showed their attitude towards Topic, as well as his towards them. They clicked so fast.”

Campazzo and Vildoza were impressed with what they saw, and they had a chance to work with him when he was 17 years old.

“Campazzo and Vildoza told me they had never seen such a mature person with so few years. He is really a stable child, but he is not a child. Although the years say differently, I never met him as a child. He is a grown-up, formed man.”

Crvena Zvezda’s head coach, Giannis Sfairopoulos, wanted him back from the loan at Mega, and by the end of 2023, Topic rejoined the club. Unfortunately, injury prevented him from leaving a bigger mark, but his return had an immediate effect.

“I will quote Giannis Sfairopoulos. Topic raised the level of training by 30 percent. He sped up the team so much and gave life and energy. He didn’t come alone; three foreigners arrived, and I can’t say that anyone brought a fraction of the energy that Nikola brought to the team.”

Dozet also spoke about interest from the NBA.

“Many NBA scouts came to watch him before the draft, and now, when we played in Podgorica against the SC Derby, one general manager approached me—intentionally, I won’t say which team—and said that it is scary to him that no one who knows Topic has said a single bad word. He asked me to say something bad about him. I told him, and I really think so—that Nikola Topic is far worse a player than he is a person.”

The projections vary, but how high can Nikola Topic go at the 2024 NBA draft?

“I won’t say who it is, but one assistant general manager said that Topic is his first pick. It is very possible that if they are the first to pick, they will choose Topic,” Crvena Zvezda’s sports director Milan Dozet concluded.

Topic played just two games for Crvena Zvezda in the ABA League this season, but he has recovered from injury and is back in action after a couple of months. In his 15 appearances for Mega and his current club, the talented Serbian averaged 17.2 points, 6.4 assists, and 3.5 rebounds for an average PIR of 18.7. Not a bad stat line for an 18-year-old player.

Topic top 3 on my board for sure…leaning 2.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,325

Post#1616 » by Dalek » Sun May 5, 2024 8:00 pm

Guard play again to me outweighs defense. Orlando has Suggs who is probably going to get 3rd team defense makes no difference against Garland and Mitchell. The offense is too fast and capable to shoot threes.

Jalen Brunson runs around his team like bumper cars and drops near 50 each playoff game.

Defense is good but you need elite guard play. I don't think Barrett can hit jumpers when needed, while Quickley can't finish well. Maybe he could be a Garland type, but we need a top scoring option.

Not sure if that is Dillingham but he is really close to that level. Problem is his size and weight. He looks too light.

Ja'Kobe Walter is capable but needs time to develop. His first half of the season was special but he hit a wall in higher level play.

Jaylon Tyson is a bit older but he has the skill but lacks a little of the top speed first step. In the NBA he has to play perfect offense like Brunson.

Devin Carter looked great in college but I just don't believe his low release jumper will translate.

In the second round KJ Simpson is really interesting as a high level scorer.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#1617 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun May 5, 2024 9:54 pm

To me, where the draft really becomes interesting is if we're picking 4th or 6th

It's so hard to know what way Masai would go in that case
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,475

Post#1618 » by TRik » Sun May 5, 2024 10:03 pm

I’m struggling to get into/excited about the draft with the uncertainty involving our pick. Only one week to go though.
‘Silly rabbit’
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1619 » by DreamTeam09 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:14 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:To me, where the draft really becomes interesting is if we're picking 4th or 6th

I think our big board is probably

Sarr
Rischarer
Holland
Cody
Matas

If we land top 6 I expect one of these guys to be selected by us

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,671

Post#1620 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:51 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:To me, where the draft really becomes interesting is if we're picking 4th or 6th

I think our big board is probably

Sarr
Rischarer
Holland
Cody
Matas

If we land top 6 I expect one of these guys to be selected by us

At 6 I'd be fine with any of those guys minus Cody. Risacher has clearly been bad recently but I can't deny the fact that if he puts it together his skillset perfectly fits the starting 5

Also Topic and Reed are definitely on their list in there somewhere just for the simple fact that they fit Darko ball so well

Return to Toronto Raptors