ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Leafs/NHL Thread

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,764

Re: OT: Leafs/NHL Thread 

Post#1441 » by And1Skip » Thu May 9, 2024 5:20 pm

shmoosicle wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

As someone who barely watches hockey, can someone explain what these numbers mean?

PP% is the percentage of the team scoring on a power-play. That is, when the other team gets a penalty and you play 5 on 4, 4 on 3 or 5 on 3 (if 2 penalties) vs the opponent. Normally you should have the advantage when your team outnumbers the other so have a greater chance to score. A team like Edmonton basically has been that good all season on the PP. Leafs were good in regular season, but atrocious in the playoffs.

PK% is the opposite - like when your team is on the penalty kill (other team on power play) and does not let the opponent score.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#1442 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu May 9, 2024 5:21 pm

shmoosicle wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

As someone who barely watches hockey, can someone explain what these numbers mean?

It's the success percentage of your power play and penalty kill. So how many goals scored/prevented v. how many opportunities.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,417

Post#1443 » by JB7 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:24 pm

shmoosicle wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Percentage of success. So in the case of PP%, it is when the team is on a powerplay (man advantage), because the other team has been penalized. In the playoffs, scoring is generated quite a bit from the powerplay. So the numbers reflect how many times the team scored a goal while on the powerplay.

For PK %, it is how effective the team was at killing those man advantages, when the team had a penalty (other team had a powerplay).

Again, in the playoffs, since the game is played much tighter defensively, the best scoring opportunities are usually generated from powerplays.

What the table shows is the teams that were best at scoring on the powerplay, and limiting goals when short handed (had a penalty) tend to have the most success in the playoffs.

What is truly amazing is how pitiful the Leafs powerplay was considering the talent on the roster. There is almost no excuse for their powerplay to be producing at a 5% success rate. They should be much closer to what Edmonton is seeing (45%).
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,112

Post#1444 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu May 9, 2024 5:35 pm

Is Marner gone yet?
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,389

Post#1445 » by ItsDanger » Thu May 9, 2024 5:38 pm

None of the Leafs defense are what you should consider as PP QBs. None of the top 4 forwards are ideal point men either. Rielly's offense is best shown at even strength. This roster mix has been flawed for too long.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#1446 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu May 9, 2024 6:11 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:Pretty classy exit.

Read on Twitter

I don't buy a word of it :lol: But it reminds me that it took Nurse like two months to post a thank-you after angling for his own exit mid-season.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,548

Post#1447 » by bballsparkin » Thu May 9, 2024 9:03 pm

6ixpessant wrote:Who would be the Kyle Lowry the Leafs could go get? They don't have one.

Ryan O'Reilly was the first to pop into my mind. Smart, gritty, hard worker, gets respect.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,358

Post#1448 » by tanuki1031 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:05 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:Who would be the Kyle Lowry the Leafs could go get? They don't have one.

Ryan O'Reilly was the first to pop into my mind. Smart, gritty, hard worker, gets respect.

Anyone who is unaware or forgot, ROR said it wasn't a contract issue and noped the **** out of Toronto citing the locker room / culture.

Dude came in with so much positivity and grit to win a Cup longterm with his hometown team and he had seen enough in his three months here.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,988

Post#1449 » by Merit » Thu May 9, 2024 11:06 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:^^^Don't forget the wives have input. Especially if they grew up south of the border where it's warmer. In this doc, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2801462/ (Special Ed), iirc, they guy who made it, his wife was from Paris. They met in Montreal. But when he decided to move back to the Peg and make the film she told him, "i love you. but not enough to live in Winnipeg". Hah, or something like that.

Yeah, for NBA players I automatically assume they want no part of Toronto if they are married lol. Giannis' wife is from California and I bet that will play a part when he asks out or if/when he hits free agency.

But but white Vegas.

Toronto should have a monopoly on Canadian players though.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#1450 » by Merit » Thu May 9, 2024 11:07 pm

tanuki1031 wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

Anyone who is unaware or forgot, ROR said it wasn't a contract issue and noped the **** out of Toronto citing the locker room / culture.

Dude came in with so much positivity and grit to win a Cup longterm with his hometown team and he had seen enough in his three months here.

He got paid though.
I believe in Masai.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,193

Post#1451 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu May 9, 2024 11:27 pm

tanuki1031 wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

ROR never cited the locker room or culture for why he left.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,007

Post#1452 » by ForeverTFC » Thu May 9, 2024 11:44 pm

Merit wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:^^^Don't forget the wives have input. Especially if they grew up south of the border where it's warmer. In this doc, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2801462/ (Special Ed), iirc, they guy who made it, his wife was from Paris. They met in Montreal. But when he decided to move back to the Peg and make the film she told him, "i love you. but not enough to live in Winnipeg". Hah, or something like that.

Yeah, for NBA players I automatically assume they want no part of Toronto if they are married lol. Giannis' wife is from California and I bet that will play a part when he asks out or if/when he hits free agency.

But but white Vegas.

Why? It's a lot more fun to be really rich in NY/LA/Miami than in Toronto.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,358

Post#1453 » by tanuki1031 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:36 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:
tanuki1031 wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

He had months to walk things back and the media didn't publish tailored language articles until Oct/Nov 2023.

ROR signed with the Preds as soon as free agency began and he said the same offer and money was there from the Leafs but it wasn't a good fit there. He hasn't repeated the same contract offer terms and the Leafs have refrained from commenting, but that info was out there. I can't find the clip but it was there as it unfolded because his immediate signing with the Preds was a surprise considering he wasn't brought in as a rental and his comments while here were long-term focused.

Watching him play in the playoffs you could tell he wasn't a fan of playing with that group when there are actual stakes. He wanted no part of the culture and play style after experiencing it first hand for ~30 games. He played his ass off those games and he knew it wasn't happening (team getting far and him returning).

When a guy signs away day one of free agency, you have to figure his mind had already been made long ago. This was never a case of the Leafs playing hard ball or wavering about bringing him back considering they traded real assets to get him and he demonstrated play worth that value. They offered him money and term, he immediately said no.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#1454 » by Merit » Fri May 10, 2024 1:36 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
Merit wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

But but white Vegas.

I meant Torontonian* players. Aka they're coming home to end the curse.
I believe in Masai.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,988

Post#1455 » by wegotthabeet » Fri May 10, 2024 1:39 am

tanuki1031 wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
tanuki1031 wrote:

He had months to walk things back and the media didn't publish tailored language articles until Oct/Nov 2023.

ROR signed with the Preds as soon as free agency began and he said the same offer and money was there from the Leafs but it wasn't a good fit there. He hasn't repeated the same contract offer terms and the Leafs have refrained from commenting, but that info was out there. I can't find the clip but it was there as it unfolded because his immediate signing with the Preds was a surprise considering he wasn't brought in as a rental and his comments while here were long-term focused.

Watching him play in the playoffs you could tell he wasn't a fan of playing with that group when there are actual stakes. He wanted no part of the culture and play style after experiencing it first hand for ~30 games. He played his ass off those games and he knew it wasn't happening (team getting far and him returning).

When a guy signs away day one of free agency, you have to figure his mind had already been made long ago. This was never a case of the Leafs playing hard ball or wavering about bringing him back considering they traded real assets to get him and he demonstrated play worth that value. They offered him money and term, he immediately said no.

Most people aren’t built for the brightest lights. If a guy is too soft to be here then he wasn’t going to make a difference anyways. Now he’s golfing just like he would have been as a Leaf.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#1456 » by Merit » Fri May 10, 2024 1:42 am

tanuki1031 wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
tanuki1031 wrote:

How do you know it was about the culture? How do you know he wasn't a fan of playing with the group? Could there be any other reasons for his leaving other than the assumptions you're making?

Could he have been disinterested in the pressure that comes with the market? Could he have wanted warmer weather? Could he have simply changed his mind?
I believe in Masai.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,136

Post#1457 » by Potential » Fri May 10, 2024 2:37 am

Ice Cube son blaming Mike Babcock got me dead

Read on Twitter
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,785

Post#1458 » by metafisical » Yesterday 8:37 am

More important than any Raps championship or anything NBA related, there is still a Canadian team left in the NHL playoffs. Oilers up 1-0 on the Stars.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,911

Post#1459 » by Kingsway_fan » Yesterday 11:19 am

Merit wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Merit wrote:
But but white Vegas.

I meant Torontonian* players. Aka they're coming home to end the curse.

Even Canadian born hockey players don't wanna play in canada... Could it be the Trudeau Peso?... high taxes, horrible weather???.. can't blame them...
RealGM
And1: 66,561

Post#1460 » by 720 » Yesterday 11:38 am

tanuki1031 wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

Didn’t he imply he wanted a bigger role for himself but the team didn’t see it the same way? Pretty sure it was just a role dispute.

Return to Toronto Raptors