ImageImageImageImageImage

Way early New Toronto WNBA team name

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Which name for new WNBA team in Toronto ?

Arsenal
3%
Beavers/ Bobcats / Dragon
15%
Fortresses/ Towers
6%
Huskies
28%
North stars / Northern lights
10%
Legends / Heroes / Vigilantes
1%
Roadrunners
No votes
Unity
3%
Dinosaur related
22%
Other
10%

Total votes: 86

biebstothelotto
Ballboy
And1: 110

Re: Way early New Toronto WNBA team name 

Post#41 » by biebstothelotto » Mon May 13, 2024 8:39 am

The Toronto RUSH!!!
Based off of a famous local band, sounds cool, and they could play their songs at games. The Toronto Limelight could be good in this vein as well.
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#42 » by TorontoRapsFan » Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Unity? I know there are team names that don't end in s but none named for a concept quite like that. How about, Diversity? Or Wokeness?

New York Liberty.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,997
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#43 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 12:43 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Unity? I know there are team names that don't end in s but none named for a concept quite like that. How about, Diversity? Or Wokeness?

Toronto Woke :lol:
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,139

Post#44 » by WaltFrazier » Mon May 13, 2024 1:11 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:

New York Liberty.

Yeah true with the Statue of Liberty logo. Very American.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,160

Post#45 » by bstein14 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:00 pm

Toronto Loons

We have a "Great Lakes Loons" minor league baseball team (affiliate of the LA Dodgers) where I live and I think the mascot is pretty cool.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,377

Post#46 » by YogurtProducer » Mon May 13, 2024 2:13 pm

Huskies is probably a no-go as MLSE likely owns that. Same with dino related stuff, my guess is they cant do that with MLSE and the Raptors.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Aventador
Head Coach
And1: 3,467

Post#47 » by Aventador » Mon May 13, 2024 2:56 pm

Toronto Snowstorm
Many7695
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#48 » by Many7695 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:14 pm

SpezNc wrote:
Many7695 wrote:I misspelled Toronto by spelling it torono

Without the spelling mistake I got the 2T's

another option

I could be wrong but was under the impression that Valkyrie was rumoured for the GS new team.

As far as I know they have selected a name as of yet, and if it is maybe we use Athena (was one of the twelve chief Olympian deities and the goddess associated with wisdom, craft, and warfare)
SpezNc
Rookie
And1: 594

Post#49 » by SpezNc » Mon May 13, 2024 4:47 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:

New York Liberty.

I agree with your statement but I would bet that if the Liberty Statue were created only in 2024 that some people would find a way to call it “woke”.

Woke is now used every time that someone does not like something or anytime someone suggests change, something new or any kind of progress.

To get back to Unity . It was one of the name suggests by ChatGPT. To be fair the AI of ChatGPT is impressive but still very weak and can pretty much put any name in the dictionary that is not too controversial as a potential name .

But while it’s definitely not my choice or far from being my preferred option I kinda like Unity because I think Team sports need to be played with unity . Also I like to think that Fans and a whole city can come together and support one and the other.

Overall while I am not against. I think I would still prefer a team name that can be put on plurals (as oppose to an idea or a concept )
SpezNc
Rookie

Post#50 » by SpezNc » Mon May 13, 2024 4:51 pm

Potential wrote:Image

While we're at it I think it's best if we had a 2nd nhl franchise in the city

lol the first picture looks like a Restaurant logo ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SpezNc
Rookie

Post#51 » by SpezNc » Mon May 13, 2024 4:53 pm

Many7695 wrote:
SpezNc wrote:

another option

I could be wrong but was under the impression that Valkyrie was rumoured for the GS new team.

As far as I know they have selected a name as of yet, and if it is maybe we use Athena (was one of the twelve chief Olympian deities and the goddess associated with wisdom, craft, and warfare)

You are correct that I don’t think they have selected a name yet . But saw some rumours that Valkyrie was going to be the name . Not sure about the legitimacy though .

Otherwise I agree that Valkyries could be an interesting idea !
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#52 » by Spragga » Mon May 13, 2024 4:55 pm

Toronto Cyatties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,812

Post#53 » by Dennis 37 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:03 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:0% chance it’s going to be Beavers.

So you're saying there is a chance?
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
SpezNc
Rookie

Post#54 » by SpezNc » Mon May 13, 2024 5:06 pm

Many7695 wrote:
SpezNc wrote:

another option

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,139

Post#55 » by WaltFrazier » Mon May 13, 2024 5:08 pm

SpezNc wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
New York Liberty.

I agree with your statement but I would bet that if the Liberty Statue were created only in 2024 that some people would find a way to call it “woke”.

Woke is now used every time that someone does not like something or anytime someone suggests change, something new or any kind of progress.

To get back to Unity . It was one of the name suggests by ChatGPT. To be fair the AI of ChatGPT is impressive but still very weak and can pretty much put any name in the dictionary that is not too controversial as a potential name .

But while it’s definitely not my choice or far from being my preferred option I kinda like Unity because I think Team sports need to be played with unity . Also I like to think that Fans and a whole city can come together and support one and the other.

Overall while I am not against. I think I would still prefer a team name that can be put on plurals (as oppose to an idea or a concept )

More like woke people would find a way to call it offensive.

Unity to me is vague and generic. Yes sports require unity aka teamwork but that's nothing specific to Toronto or Canada. Something with local flavor would be better.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#56 » by Dennis 37 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:09 pm

biebstothelotto wrote:The Toronto RUSH!!!
Based off of a famous local band, sounds cool, and they could play their songs at games. The Toronto Limelight could be good in this vein as well.

Well then,

The Toronto Max Webster!!!

The cat's in the bag, the neighbours holler, this party's higher than the Eiffel tower!

or

The Toronto Diamonds

Feminine but a bit of Casey's pounding the rock.

Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#57 » by Dennis 37 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:11 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
SpezNc wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Yeah true with the Statue of Liberty logo. Very American.

Unity to me is vague and generic. Yes sports require unity aka teamwork but that's nothing specific to Toronto or Canada. Something with local flavor would be better.

Don't want non-plural words that are difficult to convert to singular. I am a Unity is failure.
Maxpainmedia:
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,940

Post#58 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 5:17 pm

I like Huskies or something Dinosaur related to keep the theme consistent.
SpezNc
Rookie

Post#59 » by SpezNc » Mon May 13, 2024 5:18 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
SpezNc wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:Yeah true with the Statue of Liberty logo. Very American.

Woke is being use as pejorative and you know it . Anyhow let’s agree to disagree . :)

But if we go back to the subject of Team name, I agree with you that it’s always better when it’s more unique and with a local flavour . That is said , many team name are unfortunately not that unique and often generic .

If we can find something specific to Canada or Toronto . I would definitely be down for that .
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,940

Post#60 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 5:19 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
SpezNc wrote:

Don't want non-plural words that are difficult to convert to singular. I am a Unity is failure.

I am a Heat? Magic? Thunder?
I'm not saying Unity is a good name but i don't think the noun has to be plural.

Return to Toronto Raptors