ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Masai Tank 4 Flagg?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Cooper Flagg Sweeptakes 2025

Tank 4 Flagg (& other top talents)
60%
Don't tank and pray Masai finds a gem in the teens-20s
13%
Push for the play-in, baby.
27%

Total votes: 134

Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,940

Re: Will Masai Tank 4 Flagg? 

Post#221 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 6:22 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:The 10th seed just won the lottery, tanking by the definition everyone wants to imply is a myth now. The lottery odds flattened changed alla that

lol this isn't a strategy, it's literally just luck.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,149

Post#222 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon May 13, 2024 6:26 pm

This is an early 2025 mock draft...

The fact that a guy like Nolan Traore is ranked 8th just speaks volumes about how strong this draft class is. He'd easily go #1 in this years draft.

Also what are they feeding these kids in France? They're taking over basketball... :o
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#223 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon May 13, 2024 6:30 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Clutch0z24 wrote:
What assets are we talking about here? GTJR?, Poeltl?, Brown? These guys are not netting us anything back that is going to help now...If anything we are going to trade them ffor more young players (Who are not ready now to contribute to winning) and draft picks....With cap space we are not signing some free agent thats going to change anything here....Maybe a Schroder type signing....But thats not going to do anything to help us go to the playoffs....We are not signing anyone in free agency of significant....We never have even when we were a winning team with DD/Lowry we made very minimal Free agent signings...

We always had success in the draft and thats what kept us afloat ....Drafting Powell/OG/Siakam/FVV Using the players we drafted in trades like JV/Wright/Ross/DD/Poeltl to make trades for Superstars...

We never had success in free agency ever...So to rely on that now would be foolish

Use the cap space to go after one big name, then the pick to get another. Then hope the right guy is there at 19.

We are not signing a big name...Here are the names...

LeBron James
Paul George
James Harden
Klay Thompson
DeRozan (Lol)
Siakam(Lol)
OG(Lol)

We are not signing any of them in free agency.....We just traded our pick for Poeltlt which look how that turned out for us this year...We just lost our pick because of that mistake and you think using picks as assets again is a smart move? Lol...

At 19/31 in a weak draft class to get anything better then even Dick was this year would be a hard thing to do....

It's not like some of these teams have a choice. Others need to get off that money. That market's going to swell too, more teams will be added to that list.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,578

Post#224 » by mtcan » Mon May 13, 2024 6:34 pm

We didn't tear it down to the studs so a Washington Wizards/Detroit Pistons style tank isn't going to happen.

We have a youngish core that has more experience than Orlando did when they made the pivot to the tank. That is why we won't be a top 5 worst record this upcoming season. We are closer to where Utah is currently which is a mid to late lottery team when fully healthy.
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,083

Post#225 » by Clutch0z24 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:35 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Use the cap space to go after one big name, then the pick to get another. Then hope the right guy is there at 19.

LeBron James
Paul George
James Harden
Klay Thompson
DeRozan (Lol)
Siakam(Lol)
OG(Lol)

We are not signing any of them in free agency.....We just traded our pick for Poeltlt which look how that turned out for us this year...We just lost our pick because of that mistake and you think using picks as assets again is a smart move? Lol...

At 19/31 in a weak draft class to get anything better then even Dick was this year would be a hard thing to do....

It's not like some of these teams have a choice. Others need to get off that money. That market's going to swell too, more teams will be added to that list.

Thats the free agent list...Yeah players can become available for trade...But we legit do not have the assets to out bid other teams....We will not improve much in the offseason trust me.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#226 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon May 13, 2024 6:44 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:
Clutch0z24 wrote:

LeBron James
Paul George
James Harden
Klay Thompson
DeRozan (Lol)
Siakam(Lol)
OG(Lol)

Thats the free agent list...Yeah players can become available for trade...But we legit do not have the assets to out bid other teams....We will not improve much in the offseason trust me.

It's a very short list of teams with money. That makes us a landing spot. Like, the Clippers have already walked from PG. It's a shrinking cap. ATL is turning into a distressed seller. It'll be a flood as soon as the season ends.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,237

Post#227 » by niQ » Mon May 13, 2024 6:52 pm

Don't even need to be the worst team nowadays. Just be third or fourth worst :wink:
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#228 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:00 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:The 10th seed just won the lottery, tanking by the definition everyone wants to imply is a myth now. The lottery odds flattened changed alla that

My point exactly, Det with the worst record 3yrs in a row end up with #5 3 yrs in a row.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Jadoogar
RealGM

Post#229 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 7:07 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

My point exactly, Det with the worst record 3yrs in a row end up with #5 3 yrs in a row.

and the Nuggets drafted a 3x MVP winner with the 41st pick. Both of these things are outliers. You shouldn't base your team building strategy around drafting an MVP with a second round pick just like you wouldn't expect to fall out of the top 4 despite best odds 3 years in a row.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Should we be chasing the 10th seed simply because Atlanta showed it was possible to win the lottery with bad odds?
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,578

Post#230 » by mtcan » Mon May 13, 2024 7:18 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

and the Nuggets drafted a 3x MVP winner with the 41st pick. Both of these things are outliers. You shouldn't base your team building strategy around drafting an MVP with a second round pick just like you wouldn't expect to fall out of the top 4 despite best odds 3 years in a row.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Should we be chasing the 10th seed simply because Atlanta showed it was possible to win the lottery with bad odds?

I don't think the front office is going to aim for the bottom.

Trading for Quick and RJ instead of picks is an obvious sign that we aren't purposely trying to bottom out.

I think the goal was to get younger and surround Scottie with young but experienced guys with still some upside so that we don't end up like Detroit.

We are like Utah right now...basically not good enough for the playoffs but not bad enough to be bottom 5.
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#231 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:27 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

I'm suggesting building out your team by acquiring valuable players and assets using all of the means available to you. Stripping down or hoping to luck into the #1 pick is what it is, luck.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Johnston
Junior
And1: 198

Post#232 » by Johnston » Mon May 13, 2024 7:43 pm

I'm not sure you you can take with our core, if we are healthy. If we did, it would need to be completely stripped down.
Jadoogar
RealGM

Post#233 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 7:50 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

I'm suggesting building out your team by acquiring valuable players and assets using all of the means available to you. Stripping down or hoping to luck into the #1 pick is what it is, luck.

But stripping the team down is another means of acquiring valuable assets. Making your roster worse increased the value of your own pick. I would much rather have Washington pick next year than Denver's.

There's no one way to build a successful team and every single method requires some luck. The last 5 championship winners have been
Denver - drafted most of their team including a generational player in the second round (idk if we ever see another second round pick this good)
Warriors - drafted their 3 best players, 2 in the lottery
Bucks - drafted a superstar in an historically weak draft and surrounded him with talent through trades
Lakers - signed a superstar by virtue of their location and traded a bunch of young players (which they acquired by tanking) for a second superstar (not to mention a once in a lifetime global pandemic that suspended the season for 3 months allowing their old players to rest in the middle of the season)
Raptors - shrewd drafting and management, traded for a devalued superstar who only stayed one season. Needed the opposing team's best player to get hurt in the finals.

All of these teams relied on luck to varying degrees but things like drafting a superstar in the top 10 or trading for a star player who's value is low seem a lot more repeatable than what the Nuggets did.
DreamTeam09
RealGM

Post#234 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:55 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

1. But stripping the team down is another means of acquiring valuable assets. Making your roster worse increased the value of your own pick. I would much rather have Washington pick next year than Denver's.

There's no one way to build a successful team and every single method requires some luck. The last 5 championship winners have been
Denver - drafted most of their team including a generational player in the second round (idk if we ever see another second round pick this good)
Bucks - drafted a superstar in an historically weak draft and surrounded him with talent through trades
Lakers - signed a superstar by virtue of their location and traded a bunch of young players (which they acquired by tanking) for a second superstar (not to mention a once in a lifetime global pandemic that suspended the season for 3 months allowing their old players to rest in the middle of the season)
Raptors - shrewd drafting and management, traded for a devalued superstar who only stayed one season. Needed the opposing team's best player to get hurt in the finals.

All of these teams relied on luck to varying degrees but things like drafting a superstar in the top 10 or 2. trading for a star player who's value is low seem a lot more repeatable than what the Nuggets did.

We did that already when we traded OG n Pascal no...

Why can't this be done currently, or in the near distant future?

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Jadoogar
RealGM

Post#235 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 9:16 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

1. But stripping the team down is another means of acquiring valuable assets. Making your roster worse increased the value of your own pick. I would much rather have Washington pick next year than Denver's.

All of these teams relied on luck to varying degrees but things like drafting a superstar in the top 10 or 2. trading for a star player who's value is low seem a lot more repeatable than what the Nuggets did.

it can but we need to do a few things first"
- acquire players that are valuable in a trade. We don't get Kawhi without Demar and Poeltl, both of whom were top 10 picks
- build a team that's competitive prior to getting the superstar. The 2020 raptors showed how good the roster was even without Kawhi. You can't put Jokic on the Hornets and expect him to win a title.
- our current roster is Scottie barnes and a bunch of question marks. Can IQ be consistent enough to be an allstar caliber point guard? Can RJ be a starting wing? Does Scottie and Poeltl work? Is Gradey Dick a starter? We are way to early in the rebuild to determine these things. It would help if we could fill some of these gaps with draft picks but alas, we have to rely on hitting on late first rounders. Maybe we find our next siakam or we draft a Quincy Douby or Kai Jones
Oakvillehoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,041

Post#236 » by Oakvillehoops » Mon May 13, 2024 9:17 pm

mdenny wrote:
Clutch0z24 wrote:
Oakvillehoops wrote:Barnes will be miserable and gone if we don’t plan to win until after we have drafted and developed a player who isn’t even in the nba yet.

Our core is 23-25. You don’t have 3 years to become good. Next year we need to be .500 and the following year we need to be on the come up.

If they were 19-21 go ahead and tank a year. But this will become miserable and toxic if you make these guys lose for the next 3 years

Id love to hear how you would go about being a good to great team in the next 2 years.....We havn't ever signed a superstar free agent...We Have Zero major assets to trade in any deal for a Superstar player....

We have GTJR, Poeltl, Bruce Brown, Chris Boucher, Kelly Olynyk as players who could be up for trade....Thats gonna get us any kind of player back for us in a trade that would make a significant change? I don't think so...But wait we have Draft picks to trade...Look how that turned out for us...

Internal growth? Barnes, IQ, Barrett, Dick all good young players but are they ready to win anytime soon? i don't think so and to ask them to be on the level of a good NBA team is a big ask for a young team.

Free agency? We gonna sign Dennis Schroder again to be the starting PG? ...That will put us over the hump...

We have one option atm and thats to stock pile talent...The best way and the best way its always been for us to bring in talent is through the draft....The higher the picks the more likely chance of getting a Superstar in the draft....Its the best and most efficient way for us to get better while Scottie is here.

I've already gone through the numbers with you. You are proposing a plan which has a 1 in 100 chance of working out as you envision. And when it doesn't work out...you'll say "well if we had only drafted this guy instead of that guy".

You aren't proposing an actual, viable business plan. You are proposing a utopian best case scenario.

It’s pretty impossible to break down how it’s done in a short realgm post. But I never implied that we would be great or title contenders. We need to be in the same tier as the Orlando magic within 2 years. And that is easily viable. You can tank for 10 years and be unlucky enough not to get a generational talent. Just be a good mid tier playoff team. And wait for the right year to swing a trade when your conference looks weak
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,826

Post#237 » by ConSarnit » Mon May 13, 2024 9:19 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

Making this team a bottom feeder next year doesn't require much work. If we trade Poeltl our defense probably collapses. Combine that with a middle of the road offense and we're looking like a bottom 5 team. Maybe not bottom 3 but close.

Trade Poeltl, play the first and second year guys a lot and this team is pretty bad.

Taking a step back for 1 year isn't the worst idea if we might not even be a play-in team in the first place. I don't think the FO will do it but it wouldn't require much effort.
Oakvillehoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,041

Post#238 » by Oakvillehoops » Mon May 13, 2024 9:24 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:I would if they loaded the roster with more young prospects. I'm not talking about G league signings.

Are you getting rid of Scottie, RJ and IQ?

You don't have to. Rookies make tons of mistakes.

On what planet is 6th year Barrett, 4th year Barnes and 5th year IQ rookies? People are pretending our core are bunch of 19 year olds and not 2 years from all being Vets
Jadoogar
RealGM

Post#239 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 9:40 pm

Oakvillehoops wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Are you getting rid of Scottie, RJ and IQ?

You don't have to. Rookies make tons of mistakes.

On what planet is 6th year Barrett, 4th year Barnes and 5th year IQ rookies? People are pretending our core are bunch of 19 year olds and not 2 years from all being Vets

that's just three guys. If the rest of the team is Gradey Dicks and Agbajis, that's going to be a horrible team. Scottie isn't good enough to lift a gleague roster. With Poeltl and Kelly, it gets a little harder since these guys are solid vets but even then, i don't think we're too far off. If Poeltl misses a few weeks, the team will plummet because we don't have any sort of replacement for him.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,473

Post#240 » by TimeForChange » Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 pm

this next season is the season to tank, so you know Masai is going to sign Gordon Hayward to a $25m contract and fight for a play-in

Return to Toronto Raptors