ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Approval Rating

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Masai Approval Rating

A
10%
B
24%
C
30%
D
24%
F
11%
Just want to see results
2%

Total votes: 191

TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,473

Re: Masai Approval Rating 

Post#61 » by TimeForChange » Mon May 13, 2024 10:34 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I'm happy with all the trades he made last year, as well as the Dick draft selection.

Not gonna continue bashing him for a mistake he made, and owned up to already, two seasons ago (i.e., Poeltl trade).

Grade: A

This is a level of homerism I have never seen before

I'm just grading him based on the moves he's made over the past year.

OG trade - A+
Siakam trade - B
Ochai/Olynyk trade - A-
Dick Selection - A

So yeah, I'm content with the A grade I've assigned him.
stop :lol:
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,179

Post#62 » by DelAbbot » Mon May 13, 2024 10:35 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:D

Terrible since 2020-21.

-Letting Serge and Marc walk in the same offseason

-Terrible Thad Young trade

-Not trading FVV during the trade deadline, only to walk for nothing

-Terrible Jakob Poeltl trade

-Not trading Pascal during the summer

-Not trading Bruce Brown

I would like to add not trading Lowry in the same offseason the Bucks paid an arm and a leg for Jrue Holliday. Not saying we would have gotten the exact same haul but it would have been a lot closer to that than the trash we ended up with for the GROAT.

The day you decided you let Ibaka/Gasol walk is the day you should have been looking to trade him. Or at the very least, just accept the best offer available at the deadline. Clearly its become a huge issue with him not being able to trade his players at the right time. And yes, I mentioned this at the time

"Not trading Lowry at the Tampa TDL gained Masai creds for being a tough negotiator

It will pay off in future trades"
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,473

Post#63 » by TimeForChange » Mon May 13, 2024 10:37 pm

Terrible since 2020-21.

-Not trading Bruce Brown

finally some common sense on this board
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,647

Post#64 » by Rapsalot » Mon May 13, 2024 10:52 pm

I said C but really a C- I think our asset management has been bad except for draft picks some years. He and FO will need to be a top 6 team in East in 2026 for me to even consider renewing contract.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,153

Post#65 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon May 13, 2024 10:59 pm

TimeForChange wrote:

Terrible since 2020-21.

-Not trading Bruce Brown

Yeah, we should've traded Gasol and Ibaka mid-season despite having the second best record in the league and being the defending champs. Great common sense.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#66 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon May 13, 2024 11:00 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
This is a level of homerism I have never seen before

I'm just grading him based on the moves he's made over the past year.

OG trade - A+
Siakam trade - B
Ochai/Olynyk trade - A-
Dick Selection - A

So yeah, I'm content with the A grade I've assigned him.
stop :lol:

Let me know what grade I should assign each trade and I'll edit my post so you can sleep at night.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM

Post#67 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon May 13, 2024 11:06 pm

I'm being criticized for assigning an approval rating, solely based on last season.

Meanwhile, everyone else is assigning Ds and Fs - only taking into account the 2022 season and onwards.

Everyone gets to pick & choose which period to critique, but I'm in the wrong? :lol:

Talk about confirmation bias.

Conveniently ignoring the 7 seasons that lead to our title run in which Masai built a winning culture and completely changed the trajectory of the franchise.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,379

Post#68 » by alpngso » Mon May 13, 2024 11:06 pm

how do people give anything above C? are we watching the same product?
will
RealGM
And1: 50,004
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#69 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 11:09 pm

alpngso wrote:how do people give anything above C? are we watching the same product?

You know there are people here who vehemently defend all of Masai's moves. If I speak, I'm in trouble.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,092

Post#70 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:13 pm

alpngso wrote:how do people give anything above C? are we watching the same product?

Because it isn't "what's your approval rating of the last few years".

It's what's your overall approval rating. He gave us 7 48+ win seasons in a row. Multiple deep playoff runs only stopped by the 2nd best player ever and he won a title. It factors into the approval rating.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#71 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:14 pm

will wrote:

You know there are people here who vehemently defend all of Masai's moves. If I speak, I'm in trouble.

If you spam relentlessly you're in trouble. It's been made very clear to you by 4-5 moderators. You just choose to ignore it and play victim.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,379

Post#72 » by alpngso » Mon May 13, 2024 11:19 pm

Duffman100 wrote:

It's what's your overall approval rating. He gave us 7 48+ win seasons in a row. Multiple deep playoff runs only stopped by the 2nd best player ever and he won a title. It factors into the approval rating.

I wonder if people take into account results from 5 years ago when they do approval rating for politicians like Trudeau or Biden. I highly doubt that.

Last 3-4 years have been mediocre at best. B is good. You can’t possiblly think this FO has been doing a good job last couple years
will
RealGM
And1: 50,004
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#73 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 11:23 pm

alpngso wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

I wonder if people take into account results from 5 years ago when they do approval rating for politicians like Trudeau or Biden. I highly doubt that.

Last 3-4 years have been mediocre at best. B is good. You can’t possiblly think this FO has been doing a good job last couple years

B is....very generous.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#74 » by Duffman100 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:24 pm

alpngso wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Last 3-4 years are mediocre at best. B is good. You can’t possible think this FO has been doing a good job last couple years

A+ for the previous era.

C- to D+ tor this era. So looking at a c+ to b- for me right now.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,081

Post#75 » by Indeed » Tue May 14, 2024 12:17 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Indeed wrote:What does the lottery has to do with FO rating?
Shouldn't it be based on draft record, trades, asset management, etc.?

Obviously... this thread is just taking place after the draft lottery but you're judging him for all the things you said. Thought that would be implied lol.

I think it should be after the draft, which is part of the evaluation. Draft lottery is not part of the evaluation and has nothing to include, regardless of where we draft, we should draft a good one anyway. The timing of this thread is just feel more to a reaction of a non-controllable event, instead of really focusing on the FO evaluation.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,574

Post#76 » by Tor_Raps » Tue May 14, 2024 12:24 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:We were never getting anything NEAR what the Pelicans got for Jrue.

Lowry was 34. Jrue was 30.

Jrue was traded in the off-season after NO missed the playoffs. Lowry was never being traded the off-season after we were a team with a 60-win pace.

Read my comments again, I said the return would have been closer to that than to what we ended up with. I was also pissed off how we handled Gasol/Ibaka that offseason.

He thought Baynes/Len could give us similar results to Gasol/Ibaka. Masai was so hellbent on only giving 1 year deals because he thought we had a chance to pursue Giannis when he signed his extension a full season before his free agency.

Just horrible miscalculation after miscalculation that got us in our current situation of being in the bottom 10 franchises in the nba of present/future outlook.

Look forward to seeing Masai earn his contract extension that came after rhe championship. As of now, he has barely earned any of that contract.

Read your comment again... nothing changes except you are using insane hindsight to try and say Masai **** up.

He did not think Len/Baynes would give us similar results. He likely thought the dropoff would not be as significant, and he likely would have been right if Baynes did not fall off a cliff from the year prior.

And funny how when we miss it is a "horrible miscalculation" but when it works out (like Kawhi) it is a "fluke".

Y'all just complain about everything

Nothing hindsight about my posts. I've been talking about the same stuff for years and I also recall schooling you many times on these topics. You thought we never needed a C and were fine with Siakam playing there and I had to breakdown the lack of basketball common sense in your thoughts and this front office thoughts lol.

And it's hilarious how you can can be upset at anyone question Masai considering the present situation. There's a reason why we're currently in our position and I promise you that apathy will set in very soon with this team if Masai doesn't have a great offseason. Losing our pick was the wrong start but let's see what he can do...
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#77 » by Tor_Raps » Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Terrible since 2020-21.

-Not trading Bruce Brown

I would like to add not trading Lowry in the same offseason the Bucks paid an arm and a leg for Jrue Holliday. Not saying we would have gotten the exact same haul but it would have been a lot closer to that than the trash we ended up with for the GROAT.

The day you decided you let Ibaka/Gasol walk is the day you should have been looking to trade him. Or at the very least, just accept the best offer available at the deadline. Clearly its become a huge issue with him not being able to trade his players at the right time. And yes, I mentioned this at the time

"Not trading Lowry at the Tampa TDL gained Masai creds for being a tough negotiator

It will pay off in future trades"

Of course... how else do you think Masai finessed other teams for Thad/Olynyk/Siakam/Fred/Poeltl... oh wait loll
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#78 » by Tor_Raps » Tue May 14, 2024 12:30 am

Indeed wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Indeed wrote:What does the lottery has to do with FO rating?
Shouldn't it be based on draft record, trades, asset management, etc.?

Obviously... this thread is just taking place after the draft lottery but you're judging him for all the things you said. Thought that would be implied lol.

I think it should be after the draft, which is part of the evaluation. Draft lottery is not part of the evaluation and has nothing to include, regardless of where we draft, we should draft a good one anyway. The timing of this thread is just feel more to a reaction of a non-controllable event, instead of really focusing on the FO evaluation.

Sorry but losing the 8th pick in the draft when you're clearly a rebuilding team is a massive blow. We can have another thread after the draft. Our opinions of this front office is never absolute and will always be fluid based on how they do.

Heck, they can finesse another team for a great young player in the offseason and my tune would change immediately... thats how fickle things are lol.
SpezNc
Rookie
And1: 595

Post#79 » by SpezNc » Tue May 14, 2024 12:38 am

TimeForChange wrote:

Terrible since 2020-21.

-Not trading Bruce Brown

Serge , Marc had limited impact after they left Toronto

The Thad Young trade is a foot note . They drop a dozen spot to get leadership. Obviously the trade is a miss but that trade does not move the needle

The Poeltl trade is the big miss. The trade itself is not as bad as it sounds . But Toronto acquire him a position of weakness (being bad = lighter protection). But I think it’s more the overall direction of double down on that core that is the miss. That is said there is rational about the move they made . They wanted to see Poeltl with FVV Barnes , OG , FVV and Siakam . My main concern is that we already knew that signing both O.G, FVV and Siakam was already difficult. Well that is head scratcher even if I understand the move

But down the road I would not be surprise if Toronto is abl to recoup some value when they / if they trade Poeltl. And if the draft is better / deeper than 2024, who knows maybe even draft a better player that #8

Pascal trade : was it confirm that an offer was better last summer ? At the end of the day . Nobody going to pay a premium for a borderline max player . Siakam ‘s value is positive . But it’s not a super asset either

Not trading Brown is indeed mind boggling. I hope this means that the rumours about a 1st round pick over was wrong .
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 545

Post#80 » by CazOnReal » Tue May 14, 2024 1:08 am

Post-championship:

Positives

+++Drafting Scottie Barnes; self-explanatory.

++Drafting Koloko; yes it's unfortunate his career might be over but no one expected him to have blood clots

++Ochai/Olynyk trade; giving up a bottom 3 pick in this draft, salary filler for a former lottery pick and a good rotational player who gives you a look at what a stretch 5 would look like next to Scottie is somehow better than the players we got in return for Pascal from the Pacers. Ochai and Olynyk have opposite problems (Former can't shoot, latter can't defend) but I have some faith Ochai can work on his corner 3s to become at least neutral on the floor offensively.

+The O.G. trade; yes we're searching for our new O.G. but IQ is a great option for a starting PG and RJ has been a complete revelation since changing his game in Toronto. That 2nd is going to be pretty valuable too with the new 2nd round exception and a potential for draft night negotiations leading in to the 2nd day of the draft.

+Grabbing a hold of 6'7 Dick; haha funny penis joke. Yes the start was rough, yes they did struggle when Scottie went down and yes their post-New Year stretch is still a limited sample size, but I do think Dick has shown enough to consider this a win. This offensive system is great for him and his strengths, he's a fun personality, his shooting is invaluable for floor spacing given we might lose Trent Jr. for nothing and I would not be surprised if he starts next season (though that's mostly because I have no idea who this FO is drafting/signing and if they're going to pull the trigger on a Poeltl trade).

Neutral

+/-Powell for Trent; hasn't aged well but it made sense at the time and I do think Gary can be a part of this core going forward. The PPP him and Scottie generate via DHO is amongst the highest in the league, the real question is price and if Darko can get him to be more consistent on defense. It's a slight lean negative because they might end up losing him for nothing but i'll tentatively put it in neutral for now if we can either re-sign him or work out a sign and trade.

+/-Bruce Brown; I don't think missing on Brown is as big of a mistake as people will say. Not all 1sts are equal, we don't know what picks/player(s) were out there sand there's still an opportunity to trade him/get some value out of him. What that trade looks like i.e. getting a first in this draft, moving up or getting a 2025 1st, and whether it improves how I feel about the Siakam trade remains to be seen. It really depends on the salary they presumably would have to take back.

+/- Free agent signings/re-signings; also leaning more negative than positive but no one could have seen Otto Porter Jr. or Khem Birch disintegrating, even with OPJ's history. The Thad Young re-signing remains baffling but Dennis was a decent signing in a vacuum. A downgrade from Fred but his production was solid.

+/-Darko; evaluating a coach is very, very difficult since we don't see some of the more important parts of their job that happen behind the scenes. That said, Darko was not a perfect rookie coach (which honestly I can't think of a rookie coach who had it all go right for them...did Pop win a chip in his first year as head coach? I can't remember.), mostly due to his rigidity when it came to making adjustments. I'm willing to give him a slight pass for the defense being bad overall because it was fine with O.G. and Siakam when both were still here/playing to win, and the players he's had to work with post-trade were mostly not good defenders (Except RJ and Quickley, both of whom were much better defenders as Knicks) but Rajakovic has to show his own development, not just his players.

Negatives

-Talent drain (sort of); we all knew Kawhi was leaving, and i'm doubtful we could have gotten a sign and trade worked out if we talked to the Clippers before a deal was finalized but Fred VanVleet's UFA status absolutely should have been taken more seriously since the Rockets needed to send out salary to make the money work for signing Fred & Brooks, and the players the Rockets sent out - while not amazing - would have been better than nothing. Oh and you'd get a big extension out of it. I can't be too made about losing Ibaka, Gasol or Green given their age/general decline but letting Fred walk and going for a downgrade in Dennis Schroder was not the move. And this is before we account for them allegedly getting a 1st offered to them for Fred.

-General lack of draft movement; no attempt to move up, down, etc. unless you believe the Thad Young trade was "moving down" (1st round contracts are not the same length as a 2nd rounder so that's just incorrect) when you lost a lot of talent and need to replenish it. Even if we ignore them having to start a rebuild/retool a year too late, cheap bench talent is what made that 2019 team so effective so why they didn't decide to rebuild the bench from the draft is beyond me.

-Lack of development success/impatience with what few prospects the team has had; I do not understand them letting Banton walk for nothing and for the bizarre treatment of David Johnson. Not saying either were future All-Stars but they never really got a run with the team unless injuries forced them to be played.

-Lowry sign and trade/not trading him at the deadline (sort of); I get that they couldn't just trade away Lowry against his wishes but they should have had a serious conversation with Lowry about the direction the team was going at the 2021 deadline and more thoroughly worked with him to get him traded. I doubt Maxey was seriously on the table but there were assets to be had in the trade.

-The Dragic salary dump; set aside whether or not the Raptors would have drafted Kessler, Nembhard, Koloko or whomever with their pick and where it ended up. The Raptors 1st got them...Thad Young and a 2nd. The Celtics used a first to get Dereck White (They also gave up a swap but...it's not like the Raptors couldn't have done the same with similar protections). Honestly, I don't understand why they didn't go for Poeltl this year since Young was apparently going to be waived and they knew they had issues going up against teams with a dominant big man.

-Not acquiring a center for essentially 3 seasons; there were so many names linked to the Raptors but not a single center to be added to the roster after Aron Baynes presumably scared them away from signing big men.

-The 2023 trade deadline; not just the Poeltl trade and the context around that i.e. taking the but the lack of serious consideration for trading Siakam, Fred, etc. which would likely have set the team up for better success. We don't know what a serious talk with Portland, Brooklyn, etc. would have looked like but they probably would have brought back a young player better than Jordan Nwora.

-Siakam trade; it's been litigated to death - both the circumstances and the return - and it only looks mediocre as opposed to terrible because they turned one of the worst 1sts into two potential rotational players. TBD on how the trade will age but dropping to 19th is probably not going to work in their favor.

Return to Toronto Raptors