ImageImageImageImageImage

What to do with Bruce?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Re: What to do with Bruce? 

Post#81 » by TorontoRapsFan » Mon May 13, 2024 9:19 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
goinrogue wrote:My guess is we move him with 31 for a late lottery pick. I think the bulls would bite. Maybe the rockets if it’s Bruce and 19 for 3.

Many teams that have a top 3 put out an all points bulletin that the pick is in play only to pull back on the idea before the draft. I also think Bruce/19 won't cut it. We just won't be doing that. Bruce option will get picked up. I think we have pieces for Ingram.

Poetl, Boucher, Agbaji, Pacers 2026, our 2024 #31 for Ingram and EJ Liddell.

Swap Poeltl with Brown. Apparently they getting rid of JV to open up space for Zion. Ingram is a great fit for this team, and still 26 yrs old.
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,279

Post#82 » by Raptors_128 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
goinrogue wrote:My guess is we move him with 31 for a late lottery pick. I think the bulls would bite. Maybe the rockets if it’s Bruce and 19 for 3.

Many teams that have a top 3 put out an all points bulletin that the pick is in play only to pull back on the idea before the draft. I also think Bruce/19 won't cut it. We just won't be doing that. Bruce option will get picked up. I think we have pieces for Ingram.

Swap Poeltl with Brown. Apparently they getting rid of JV to open up space for Zion. Ingram is a great fit for this team, and still 26 yrs old.

I think he’s going to the Hawks. They really need a point guard and there’s been a lot of smoke about Murray being traded.

Easiest deal is Murray + Okongwu for Ingram + picks/any other young player that isn’t Jones or Murphy.

Hawks could look pretty good next year with Sarr/Young/Ingram if they surround them with good defenders.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,511

Post#83 » by vulture » Mon May 13, 2024 9:54 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

They are not taking on Ingram to be in the same position as they were with pascal. Dude is injury prone and can’t do anything off the ball.
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man

Post#84 » by TorontoRapsFan » Mon May 13, 2024 10:00 pm

vulture wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

They are not taking on Ingram to be in the same position as they were with pascal. Dude is injury prone and can’t do anything off the ball.

His injuries are a serious issue. But the off ball stuff don't matter when the guy hits at good % 0-23 ft.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,511

Post#85 » by vulture » Mon May 13, 2024 10:10 pm

TorontoRapsFan wrote:
vulture wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

His injuries are a serious issue. But the off ball stuff don't matter when the guy hits at good % 0-23 ft.

It really does matter when most of his shots are midrangers and he doesn’t take enough 3s.

He’s also asking for the max which is a huge problem imo.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,528

Post#86 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:17 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

No dice. Pels can get one of Murray or Young for a package around Ingram. No reason for them to take this deal.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,999
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#87 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 10:18 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

No dice. Pels can get one of Murray or Young for a package around Ingram. No reason for them to take this deal.

Landry Fields is not an idiot. He is not letting Dejounte go for Ingram. Trae Young is going before Dejounte.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#88 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:27 pm

will wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Landry Fields is not an idiot. He is not letting Dejounte go for Ingram. Trae Young is going before Dejounte.

You're probably right. I'd do the same thing. Point is though that Ingram can fetch more than the Raptors package.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,851

Post#89 » by djsunyc » Mon May 13, 2024 10:37 pm

pharring wrote:I am just so tired of everything being "wait and see". They got Brown with the intention to wait and see what they could get at the trade deadline. They got nothing. If they pick up his option, it will be another series of wait and see: Can his salary be useful to a trade at the Draft? Can it be useful during FA as a sign-and-trade? Can it be useful as teams head to camp if injuries crop up over the summer? Can it be useful at the next trade deadline?

Always kicking the can forward in the name of flexibility. Meanwhile, his skill set isn't driving improvement on the current roster and his value is being diminished as a result. If you are an opposing GM, are you paying $23 million worth of anything you value on the assumption you can get 2023 Bruce Brown instead of 24/25?

Have the stones to just let him go. I couldn't care less about the salary sheet implications. Show me you care about putting a team on the floor because of pure basketball fit and talent and not also for "future flexibility of something comes along". It's been years of this flexibility crap.

i understand your frustration but not picking up his option is only helpful IF we renounce gary as well. we wont be cap players simply by cutting him and gary's cap hold.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,999
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#90 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 10:40 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
will wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

You're probably right. I'd do the same thing. Point is though that Ingram can fetch more than the Raptors package.

Yeah, if the Raps ain't dealing Scottish, there really isn't much for other teams to look for in a deal with the Raptors.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#91 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:42 pm

djsunyc wrote:
pharring wrote:I am just so tired of everything being "wait and see". They got Brown with the intention to wait and see what they could get at the trade deadline. They got nothing. If they pick up his option, it will be another series of wait and see: Can his salary be useful to a trade at the Draft? Can it be useful during FA as a sign-and-trade? Can it be useful as teams head to camp if injuries crop up over the summer? Can it be useful at the next trade deadline?

Always kicking the can forward in the name of flexibility. Meanwhile, his skill set isn't driving improvement on the current roster and his value is being diminished as a result. If you are an opposing GM, are you paying $23 million worth of anything you value on the assumption you can get 2023 Bruce Brown instead of 24/25?

Have the stones to just let him go. I couldn't care less about the salary sheet implications. Show me you care about putting a team on the floor because of pure basketball fit and talent and not also for "future flexibility of something comes along". It's been years of this flexibility crap.

i understand your frustration but not picking up his option is only helpful IF we renounce gary as well. we wont be cap players simply by cutting him and gary's cap hold.

I don't mind renouncing Trent tbh.

But question - are we able to use the MLE if we have capspace?
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man

Post#92 » by TorontoRapsFan » Mon May 13, 2024 10:44 pm

vulture wrote:
TorontoRapsFan wrote:
vulture wrote:

It really does matter when most of his shots are midrangers and he doesn’t take enough 3s.

He’s also asking for the max which is a huge problem imo.

OK if he's asking for max then not so appealing
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,647

Post#93 » by Rapsalot » Mon May 13, 2024 10:46 pm

Bruce B + Chris B + 2027 second = (GSW) Andrew W + Moses M + 2027 first.

GSW gets to reload 1 more year for Chip, AW contract is very bad and could be for us but if we could get him back to Def and 4th option could be a nice wing and move RJ to SG and have AW guard one of other teams best players. Chris gives them an energy big off bench could use new team. CB per is still very good and money is short. Bruce can be very good backup SG or SF and plays smart ball helping depth.
TR We have to think Gary will be too expensive and AW can fit lower tier starter. Hope new scenery and home cooking can give him a lift like RJ? We can give MM some steady backup SG mins since I think GD more of a SF. Ochai A basically moves to 11th player
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,851

Post#94 » by djsunyc » Mon May 13, 2024 10:47 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

MLE is only available to teams over the cap.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#95 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:49 pm

djsunyc wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

Got it, thanks. Are we able to use capspace, spend over the cap and then use the MLE?
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,709

Post#96 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:55 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

Got it, thanks. Are we able to use capspace, spend over the cap and then use the MLE?

No it's one or the other,
I think you can get the bae or the smaller MLE if your operating with capspace. Not the full 14mill MLE tho.

The best course of action is to trade brown for someone who fits
Resign Trent to something like 15-19m/yr
Use the MLE on whatever position we don't select at 19
Resign IQ
Remain under the tax

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#97 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:35 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

No it's one or the other,
I think you can get the bae or the smaller MLE if your operating with capspace. Not the full 14mill MLE tho.

The best course of action is to trade brown for someone who fits
Resign Trent to something like 15-19m/yr
Use the MLE on whatever position we don't select at 19
Resign IQ
Remain under the tax

Ah thanks. That changes things significantly... was it always like that or is this a fairly recent change?

In any case, if you're right then it's probably best to operate over the cap.

Maybe we can wrangle that 2025 SAC 1st out of the Hawks by taking on Capela and Hunter for Trent and Brown. Since ATL will be taking Sarr and are already committed longterm to Okongwu, they have no need of Capela. Acquiring him means we can potentially move Poeltl to Memphis for some value. Less long term money on the books for us plus we get future assets.

Hunter's deal is the same length as Wiggins but Hunter is the better shooter and cheaper.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#98 » by Scase » Tue May 14, 2024 3:14 am

ConSarnit wrote:
Scase wrote:

This FO has been the text book definition of choice paralysis for years. Always constantly worried that "I could've done better" while consistently being found in the position of "How could you possibly even done worse?". It's so tiring. Never ending evaluating, just to make the worst choice possible, every damn time.

MiamiSPX wrote:
Yes, people keep getting this wrong. HIs peak value was at the trade deadline when a team could have used him for a playoff run and then had the luxury of picking up that TO or letting him walk. Now his value has dropped dramatically because he's really a 15M player who is going to be paid a lot more than this year.

The only value he has now is to a team that wants that 23M contract so they can use it in a trade later.

Yet every time I have said this, some 200IQ comment gets throw in that "the same deals will be there in the off season". Imagine declining a FRP just to be in this situation.

I think the issue is that all 1sts are not created equal. If the Knicks were offering a late 1st in this draft we already know:

-this draft sucks
-at the time we were slated to possibly have 3 picks in the top 31
-we already traded a late 1st this year for Agbaji

The front office values a late 1st this year as much as they value Agbaji. It's a gamble to keep Brown but trading him for late 1st in 2024 isn't exactly a haul. We are drafting at 19 and 31 so if we've identified players in that range we're going to have a chance to draft them. If we had no 1sts then yeah, not trading Brown was a mistake but adding another late 1st doesn't do much for us. The ship hasn't sailed on Brown returning something of value (in a salary dump or from a team looking to add a playoff rotation level player).

It is a risk to hold onto Brown but the offer was not strong, especially given our draft situation. It was a hat on a hat offer and I'm sure the Knicks knew that.

This was the same argument for not trading FVV, we couldve had a second and Grayson Allen who is objectively one of the best 3p shooters in the NBA. But everyone clowned on it, and we got nothing. BB is shaping up to be the same result, albeit not as bad as a fumble, but still pretty bad.

This has been the FOs issue for years, hold onto a player to get the absolute maximum value....and then never get it, lose them, or trade them for less than the original offers. We need to stop letting the league dictate how WE trade.
Props TZ!
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#99 » by Pointgod » Tue May 14, 2024 3:45 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

No
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#100 » by Thaddy » Tue May 14, 2024 3:52 am

Renouncing Trent would be a bad business decision. We would lose the Powell trade in retrospective. We will resign Trent for 2 years I'd guess.

Brown is going to save someone money. We'll likely help a team facing tax implications for draft picks in 2026+. The Warriors are an easy one to spot. We don't have a need for players like Moody so there could be a potential 3 team trade.

Return to Toronto Raptors