ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Approval Rating

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Masai Approval Rating

A
10%
B
24%
C
30%
D
24%
F
11%
Just want to see results
2%

Total votes: 191

Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,990

Re: Masai Approval Rating 

Post#81 » by Merit » Tue May 14, 2024 1:17 am

alpngso wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
alpngso wrote:how do people give anything above C? are we watching the same product?

Because it isn't "what's your approval rating of the last few years".

It's what's your overall approval rating. He gave us 7 48+ win seasons in a row. Multiple deep playoff runs only stopped by the 2nd best player ever and he won a title. It factors into the approval rating.

I wonder if people take into account results from 5 years ago when they do approval rating for politicians like Trudeau or Biden. I highly doubt that.

Last 3-4 years have been mediocre at best. B is good. You can’t possiblly think this FO has been doing a good job last couple years

If we knew for certain that Biden or Trudeau stopped a world war or stopped world hunger or made education and healthcare free, then yeah - we’d probably still like them.

Masai won a chip.

Imo what he’s most guilty of is being too patient with the process.
I believe in Masai.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,180

Post#82 » by billy_hoyle » Tue May 14, 2024 1:39 am

A for previous era.
B for chip to now.

I think alot of our talent attrition was just the sunk cost of going for veterans and winning a chip. I also think we could have gotten better value if he didn't strategize to go after Giannis. It obviously didn't work out, but that was the right strategy to have IMO.

He's picked a ROY, 2-way force F that made the All Star team in his third year.

He's gotten a decent return on OG.

He's got a poor return on Pascal, but has opened up cap space because of that choice...so I can't completely comment on the overall impact.

He lost FVV for nothing.

He didn't trade Bruce Brown.

He traded too much for Yak, and too much for Thad.

Although both those moves aren't THAT bad. They should be easily recoverable with the right drafting and a slick FA pick up or two.

The main lifting is done in the draft; that's Scottie, Dick and whomever we pick this year and next. I think he's done rather well so far. Getting IQ and RJ to augment his drafting has more upside than I originally thought.

If he can grab some better fitting FA than Bruce and GTJ, while trading Yak for an asset that better aligns with the Scottie timeline then I really have no complaints. That said, I don't really hate Yak either. He's young enough to help this team improve and develop, while still being a veteran contributor when we hope to start winning (~2 yrs).

For his whole tenure... an A-.
I'd bet on a return to relevance with his current focus on rebuilding through the draft (which I think he is objectively good at).
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,179

Post#83 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 2:07 am

Read on Twitter
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,179

Post#84 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 2:13 am

CazOnReal wrote:Post-championship:

Positives

+++Drafting Scottie Barnes; self-explanatory.

++Drafting Koloko; yes it's unfortunate his career might be over but no one expected him to have blood clots

++Ochai/Olynyk trade; giving up a bottom 3 pick in this draft, salary filler for a former lottery pick and a good rotational player who gives you a look at what a stretch 5 would look like next to Scottie is somehow better than the players we got in return for Pascal from the Pacers. Ochai and Olynyk have opposite problems (Former can't shoot, latter can't defend) but I have some faith Ochai can work on his corner 3s to become at least neutral on the floor offensively.

+The O.G. trade; yes we're searching for our new O.G. but IQ is a great option for a starting PG and RJ has been a complete revelation since changing his game in Toronto. That 2nd is going to be pretty valuable too with the new 2nd round exception and a potential for draft night negotiations leading in to the 2nd day of the draft.

+Grabbing a hold of 6'7 Dick; haha funny penis joke. Yes the start was rough, yes they did struggle when Scottie went down and yes their post-New Year stretch is still a limited sample size, but I do think Dick has shown enough to consider this a win. This offensive system is great for him and his strengths, he's a fun personality, his shooting is invaluable for floor spacing given we might lose Trent Jr. for nothing and I would not be surprised if he starts next season (though that's mostly because I have no idea who this FO is drafting/signing and if they're going to pull the trigger on a Poeltl trade).

Neutral

+/-Powell for Trent; hasn't aged well but it made sense at the time and I do think Gary can be a part of this core going forward. The PPP him and Scottie generate via DHO is amongst the highest in the league, the real question is price and if Darko can get him to be more consistent on defense. It's a slight lean negative because they might end up losing him for nothing but i'll tentatively put it in neutral for now if we can either re-sign him or work out a sign and trade.

+/-Bruce Brown; I don't think missing on Brown is as big of a mistake as people will say. Not all 1sts are equal, we don't know what picks/player(s) were out there sand there's still an opportunity to trade him/get some value out of him. What that trade looks like i.e. getting a first in this draft, moving up or getting a 2025 1st, and whether it improves how I feel about the Siakam trade remains to be seen. It really depends on the salary they presumably would have to take back.

+/- Free agent signings/re-signings; also leaning more negative than positive but no one could have seen Otto Porter Jr. or Khem Birch disintegrating, even with OPJ's history. The Thad Young re-signing remains baffling but Dennis was a decent signing in a vacuum. A downgrade from Fred but his production was solid.

+/-Darko; evaluating a coach is very, very difficult since we don't see some of the more important parts of their job that happen behind the scenes. That said, Darko was not a perfect rookie coach (which honestly I can't think of a rookie coach who had it all go right for them...did Pop win a chip in his first year as head coach? I can't remember.), mostly due to his rigidity when it came to making adjustments. I'm willing to give him a slight pass for the defense being bad overall because it was fine with O.G. and Siakam when both were still here/playing to win, and the players he's had to work with post-trade were mostly not good defenders (Except RJ and Quickley, both of whom were much better defenders as Knicks) but Rajakovic has to show his own development, not just his players.

Negatives

-Talent drain (sort of); we all knew Kawhi was leaving, and i'm doubtful we could have gotten a sign and trade worked out if we talked to the Clippers before a deal was finalized but Fred VanVleet's UFA status absolutely should have been taken more seriously since the Rockets needed to send out salary to make the money work for signing Fred & Brooks, and the players the Rockets sent out - while not amazing - would have been better than nothing. Oh and you'd get a big extension out of it. I can't be too made about losing Ibaka, Gasol or Green given their age/general decline but letting Fred walk and going for a downgrade in Dennis Schroder was not the move. And this is before we account for them allegedly getting a 1st offered to them for Fred.

-General lack of draft movement; no attempt to move up, down, etc. unless you believe the Thad Young trade was "moving down" (1st round contracts are not the same length as a 2nd rounder so that's just incorrect) when you lost a lot of talent and need to replenish it. Even if we ignore them having to start a rebuild/retool a year too late, cheap bench talent is what made that 2019 team so effective so why they didn't decide to rebuild the bench from the draft is beyond me.

-Lack of development success/impatience with what few prospects the team has had; I do not understand them letting Banton walk for nothing and for the bizarre treatment of David Johnson. Not saying either were future All-Stars but they never really got a run with the team unless injuries forced them to be played.

-Lowry sign and trade/not trading him at the deadline (sort of); I get that they couldn't just trade away Lowry against his wishes but they should have had a serious conversation with Lowry about the direction the team was going at the 2021 deadline and more thoroughly worked with him to get him traded. I doubt Maxey was seriously on the table but there were assets to be had in the trade.

-The Dragic salary dump; set aside whether or not the Raptors would have drafted Kessler, Nembhard, Koloko or whomever with their pick and where it ended up. The Raptors 1st got them...Thad Young and a 2nd. The Celtics used a first to get Dereck White (They also gave up a swap but...it's not like the Raptors couldn't have done the same with similar protections). Honestly, I don't understand why they didn't go for Poeltl this year since Young was apparently going to be waived and they knew they had issues going up against teams with a dominant big man.

-Not acquiring a center for essentially 3 seasons; there were so many names linked to the Raptors but not a single center to be added to the roster after Aron Baynes presumably scared them away from signing big men.

-The 2023 trade deadline; not just the Poeltl trade and the context around that i.e. taking the but the lack of serious consideration for trading Siakam, Fred, etc. which would likely have set the team up for better success. We don't know what a serious talk with Portland, Brooklyn, etc. would have looked like but they probably would have brought back a young player better than Jordan Nwora.

-Siakam trade; it's been litigated to death - both the circumstances and the return - and it only looks mediocre as opposed to terrible because they turned one of the worst 1sts into two potential rotational players. TBD on how the trade will age but dropping to 19th is probably not going to work in their favor.

- Ochai + Kelly O is a Neutral move
- Dick is a Neutral move (he has not proven himself)

How can you possibly say Norm for GTJ is a neutral move? It's a big fat loss. At similar AAV, GTJ today has no value but Norm is a perennial 6th man candidate, worth a low FRP.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,022

Post#85 » by anotherhomer » Tue May 14, 2024 2:47 am

Ujiri just had more misses than hits .....not someone you continue to pay top tier money to for mediocre moves

I think he can still turn it around
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#86 » by Pointgod » Tue May 14, 2024 4:10 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m sick….
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,650

Post#87 » by Scase » Tue May 14, 2024 4:29 am

Gave him a D, and the only thing saving him from an F was Scottie and the OG trade.
Props TZ!
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,424

Post#88 » by JB7 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:34 am

Pointgod wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m sick….

No wonder your sick, did the Raps get Jakob’s brother Jakon :lol:
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,155

Post#89 » by WaltFrazier » Tue May 14, 2024 4:51 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:D

Terrible since 2020-21.

-Letting Serge and Marc walk in the same offseason

-Terrible Thad Young trade

-Not trading FVV during the trade deadline, only to walk for nothing

-Terrible Jakob Poeltl trade

-Not trading Pascal during the summer

-Not trading Bruce Brown

I would like to add not trading Lowry in the same offseason the Bucks paid an arm and a leg for Jrue Holliday. Not saying we would have gotten the exact same haul but it would have been a lot closer to that than the trash we ended up with for the GROAT.

The day you decided you let Ibaka/Gasol walk is the day you should have been looking to trade him. Or at the very least, just accept the best offer available at the deadline. Clearly its become a huge issue with him not being able to trade his players at the right time. And yes, I mentioned this at the time

Not just trades made and not made but the failure to build a roster that fit around Scottie Pascal OG, especially putting the 6'9 thing ahead of shooting.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,577

Post#90 » by Tor_Raps » Tue May 14, 2024 4:54 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:D

Terrible since 2020-21.

-Letting Serge and Marc walk in the same offseason

-Terrible Thad Young trade

-Not trading FVV during the trade deadline, only to walk for nothing

-Terrible Jakob Poeltl trade

-Not trading Pascal during the summer

-Not trading Bruce Brown

I would like to add not trading Lowry in the same offseason the Bucks paid an arm and a leg for Jrue Holliday. Not saying we would have gotten the exact same haul but it would have been a lot closer to that than the trash we ended up with for the GROAT.

The day you decided you let Ibaka/Gasol walk is the day you should have been looking to trade him. Or at the very least, just accept the best offer available at the deadline. Clearly its become a huge issue with him not being able to trade his players at the right time. And yes, I mentioned this at the time

Not just trades made and not made but the failure to build a roster that fit around Scottie Pascal OG, especially putting the 6'9 thing ahead of shooting.

Ya I remember me and you were the outsiders talking about the horrible team construction back in 2021. Nothing we're saying was about hindsight when we were saying the same things back then lol
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,793

Post#91 » by metafisical » Tue May 14, 2024 5:01 am

I am consistent in what I said during the championship -- to me, he earned the right to do whatever he wants. I never in my life expected the Raps to win a championship due to the NBA being an America-centric sport. I thought the NBA front office would rig the games to go against the Raps if ever we became a threat to win a title. The fact that Masai built a team to pull it off (based on the pieces left behind by Colangelo, whether core pieces or pieces that were traded, including top 10 picked players), he's earned my eternal praise.

That being said, judging solely on post 2019-20, he's been underwhelming. But he's had success before, so it can be done again. All he has to do is build up like he did before -- build a core that can contend, and then trade any extraneous top 10 picked players (hence the emphasis on tank) for more core pieces (e.g., trading DD, JV and Poeltl away, all of them top 10 picked players).
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 838

Post#92 » by disoblige » Tue May 14, 2024 5:25 am

He gave you a ring and many playoff seasons. A championship run is something fans and players thought would never happen.

You guys are so spoiled and privileged lol.

Grunwald era(Carter) was fun but mostly disappointing.
Babcock era was so bad I don't have any good memories.
Colangelo tried, all first round exits. When Bosh left, we went back to nothing.

Our last 3 seasons were 48 wins, 41 wins then 28 wins.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,307

Post#93 » by TorontoBarneys » Tue May 14, 2024 11:40 am

disoblige wrote:He gave you a ring and many playoff seasons. A championship run is something fans and players thought would never happen.

Grunwald era(Carter) was fun but mostly a disappointing.
Colangelo tried, all first round exits. When Bosh left, we went back to nothing.

People are judging him on his actions since the 'chip since, you know, his job duties didn't stop after we won. Some of you genuinely cannot let go at this point, can you? The championship run happened, it finished, let's move on already and stop worshipping the guy as God. It's pathetic.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,092

Post#94 » by Duffman100 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:55 am

TorontoBarneys wrote:
disoblige wrote:He gave you a ring and many playoff seasons. A championship run is something fans and players thought would never happen.

People are judging him on his actions since the 'chip since, you know, his job duties didn't stop after we won. Some of you genuinely cannot let go at this point, can you? The championship run happened, it finished, let's move on already and stop worshipping the guy as God. It's pathetic.

As dumb as it would be to ignore the last few years , it would also be dumb to ignore the fact that he won a title in a tough market.

It's not worshipping him like a god. Your hyperbole is inane.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,307

Post#95 » by TorontoBarneys » Tue May 14, 2024 12:16 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
TorontoBarneys wrote:

As dumb as it would be to ignore the last few years , it would also be dumb to ignore the fact that he won a title in a tough market.

He did, and he is also one of the most talented and skilled GMs in the league, which is why a lot of people (even the ones giving him mediocre to poor grades) still believe he can right the ship. But, as always, people are being dunked on because they are daring to criticize him. It's a tale I've witnessed since this account was created.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#96 » by Duffman100 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:18 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
TorontoBarneys wrote:

He did, and he is also one of the most talented and skilled GMs in the league, which is why a lot of people (even the ones giving him mediocre to poor grades) still believe he can right the ship. But, as always, people are being dunked on because they are daring to criticize him. It's a tale I've witnessed since this account was created.

And people are being dunked on for thinking he can right the ship. Or taking into account his past actions. As you just did.

You can rate him by his last few years, others can rate him by his entire tenure.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,601

Post#97 » by Brinbe » Tue May 14, 2024 12:24 pm

C for me. A+ for the championship and a few grades knocked off for their decision making in the past few years. Masai did get Scottie right and although he was late to pivot (and he should get dinged on that) he did eventually make that right move too. So that's not a total failure.

So it can go either way now, it's a clean slate. The FO have the assets and optionallity this summer and beyond to transform/lift this team from one with potential to one with a genuine future.

Will they do it? I don't think anyone knows that for sure right now. But we'll have a better idea in the summer of 2026 and if they've failed out by then, they'll be out of their jobs.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,315

Post#98 » by Zeno » Tue May 14, 2024 12:26 pm

Pointgod wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m sick….

As bad as that is, and it is bad, Jak is the best player currently in that trade and there are some people in the nba apparently saying that this draft is like a typical draft starting at the 10th pick. So there is a chance that when all is said and done on a player quality basis Raps "won" this. Though that is of course dependent on the Spurs sucking at drafting too and the assumption that we would have done an equally bad job.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,001

Post#99 » by Los_29 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:29 pm

Pointgod wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m sick….

Have the Spurs managed to get even a single rotation player out of that? I just see a whole lot of nothing from the Spurs. They can change that by getting a gem at #8. It would be funny if the Spurs don’t end up getting anyone as good as Poeltl out of all this.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#100 » by Duffman100 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm

Los_29 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m sick….

Have the Spurs managed to get even a single rotation player out of that? I just see a whole lot of nothing from the Spurs. They can change that by getting a gem at #8. It would be funny if the Spurs don’t end up getting anyone as good as Poeltl out of all this.

This trade is really defined by this 8th pick. The rest is just fodder.

Of course it'll be the best player drafted between 8-60.

Return to Toronto Raptors