ImageImageImageImageImage

Pelicans Potentially Looking to Trade Ingram and not Interested in Bringing JV Back

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Would You Want The Raptors To Go After Ingram?

Yes
27%
No
55%
Not Sure
18%

Total votes: 105

ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,911

Re: Pelicans Potentially Looking to Trade Ingram and not Interested in Bringing JV Back 

Post#81 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue May 14, 2024 2:12 pm

Shakril wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Shakril wrote:

You are dreaming. He is a good roleplayer, but not a franchise player. His worth is solely based of what could be, not what he brings now. If the Pels want Poeltl, they are making a win now move, and Poeltl right now has a higher value as player than herb right now.

No. You're dreaming. I'm rubber, you're glue.

Outside of legit superstars, Jones skillset is the most desired in the league. He's cut from the same cloth as OG.

Herb Jones right now, is playing a supporting role, he does it well i might add, but he is nowhere near, where you believe he is.
What you do right now is overvalueing one Player, while undervalueing the other Player.
Yes Herb has room to grow, but as of now, he is not a franchise player. He is one of many good young prospects, but not THE propspect you claim.

To further the argument: The NBA slowly shifts back to a Center Dominated league. Outside of the established Superstars, Jokic, Embid, Giannis, there is Chet and Victor upcoming and maybe Zion who turns a corner. And thats only the top Players.
Means, that Defensive minded center will be in demand, to play against those Monsters. That alone increases Poeltls value, who just entered his prime.

Who said Jones was a prospect? I don't consider him a prospect. He is what he is right now which is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and a super efficient scorer. He is an OG level player on nearly 1/3 of OG's soon to be salary.

Poeltl is a very good player but easier to replace than Jones imo. Every team in the league wants 2-3 OGs or Jones's.
Shakril
Starter
And1: 1,343

Re: Pelicans Potentially Looking to Trade Ingram and not Interested in Bringing JV Back 

Post#82 » by Shakril » Tue May 14, 2024 2:16 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Shakril wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Outside of legit superstars, Jones skillset is the most desired in the league. He's cut from the same cloth as OG.

Herb Jones right now, is playing a supporting role, he does it well i might add, but he is nowhere near, where you believe he is.
What you do right now is overvalueing one Player, while undervalueing the other Player.
Yes Herb has room to grow, but as of now, he is not a franchise player. He is one of many good young prospects, but not THE propspect you claim.

To further the argument: The NBA slowly shifts back to a Center Dominated league. Outside of the established Superstars, Jokic, Embid, Giannis, there is Chet and Victor upcoming and maybe Zion who turns a corner. And thats only the top Players.
Means, that Defensive minded center will be in demand, to play against those Monsters. That alone increases Poeltls value, who just entered his prime.

Who said Jones was a prospect? I don't consider him a prospect. He is what he is right now which is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and a super efficient scorer. He is an OG level player on nearly 1/3 of OG's soon to be salary.

Poeltl is a very good player but easier to replace than Jones imo. Every team in the league wants 2-3 OGs or Jones's.

Thats crazy talk. Poeltl isnt as easy to replace as made him to be. If he where, the Raps wouldnt have the need to look 3 years for a center if it is that easy. And the reason Herb can be efficent is simply, cause there are Players Like Ingram, Zion, JV and McConnell on the floor with him. That makes it easier to be efficent. But hey, if January/February hasnt convinced you how good Poeltl is, than nothing will probably.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#83 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue May 14, 2024 2:25 pm

Shakril wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Shakril wrote:

Thats crazy talk. Poeltl isnt as easy to replace as made him to be. If he where, the Raps wouldnt have the need to look 3 years for a center if it is that easy. And the reason Herb can be efficent is simply, cause there are Players Like Ingram, Zion, JV and McConnell on the floor with him. That makes it easier to be efficent. But hey, if January/February hasnt convinced you how good Poeltl is, than nothing will probably.

Jones and Poeltl being good basketball players and Jones having more trade value than Poeltl aren't mutually exclusive opinions.

The conversation I'm having is based on opinion. We have a difference of opinion. Such is life.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,546

Post#84 » by vulture » Tue May 14, 2024 4:37 pm

In the words of double and posse: not gonna be able to do it
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,132

Post#85 » by ontnut » Tue May 14, 2024 5:31 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Shakril wrote:

You are dreaming. He is a good roleplayer, but not a franchise player. His worth is solely based of what could be, not what he brings now. If the Pels want Poeltl, they are making a win now move, and Poeltl right now has a higher value as player than herb right now.

He's 15lbs away from actually being OG, but on a much better contract and not as injury prone.. If anyone looks up what opposing players say about him, it's eerily similar to what they said about OG in his early years.

Like I said, even if we offered Poeltl and a top 6 protected 1st, the Pelicans would decline in a nanosecond.

Yeah Herb Jones, while not a star tier prospect, is exactly as valuable as OG was to us. And remember, we were looking for like 3-4 1st rounders for him a couple years back? That's Herb Jones to the Pelicans. He's the kind of wing player any team would want. He's not sexy, so the idea of trading 2-3 1sts for him is out of the question - but....that's exactly the value of a guy like him to his own team.

Nevermind that you'd also save money on his contract vs. Poeltl.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,132

Post#86 » by ontnut » Tue May 14, 2024 5:34 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Shakril wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Jones and Poeltl being good basketball players and Jones having more trade value than Poeltl aren't mutually exclusive opinions.

The conversation I'm having is based on opinion. We have a difference of opinion. Such is life.

This was nutty. When PG caught the ball, Herb still had 1 foot in the restricted area. And he STILL managed to block PG's 3 from a foot behind the 3ptline.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,991

Post#87 » by Merit » Tue May 14, 2024 5:39 pm

Shakril wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Shakril wrote:

Poeltl is legit. What sets Jones apart is his skill set relative to his salary. That’s what makes him super valuable. His contract is arguably the best in the league.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#88 » by Merit » Tue May 14, 2024 5:42 pm

ontnut wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

He's 15lbs away from actually being OG, but on a much better contract and not as injury prone.. If anyone looks up what opposing players say about him, it's eerily similar to what they said about OG in his early years.

Like I said, even if we offered Poeltl and a top 6 protected 1st, the Pelicans would decline in a nanosecond.

Yeah Herb Jones, while not a star tier prospect, is exactly as valuable as OG was to us. And remember, we were looking for like 3-4 1st rounders for him a couple years back? That's Herb Jones to the Pelicans. He's the kind of wing player any team would want. He's not sexy, so the idea of trading 2-3 1sts for him is out of the question - but....that's exactly the value of a guy like him to his own team.

If Poeltl had Jones’ contract he’d be just as valuable. They’re different players and different positions. Big wings are extremely coveted though, and of course Jones’ current contract makes him more valuable than Poeltl. That said, if we can get jones for Poeltl+ we obviously do it.
I believe in Masai.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue May 14, 2024 5:46 pm

Merit wrote:
ontnut wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

If Poeltl had Jones’ contract he’d be just as valuable. They’re different players and different positions. Big wings are extremely coveted though, and of course Jones’ current contract makes him more valuable than Poeltl. That said, if we can get jones for Poeltl+ we obviously do it.

I agree with that

Other issue for Poeltl with Raptors now is I don’t think his skill set fits how Masai/Darko wants to play and the fit with Scottie isn’t ideal. Scottie in high post surrounded by shooters would be ideal
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,487

Post#90 » by tdotrep2 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:47 pm

Merit wrote:
ontnut wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

Doesn't matter if yak was on a min for the next few years. A wing with Herb's 3 and d at his contract is infinitely more valuable than a center whos not a star, it's just the way it is.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Merit » Tue May 14, 2024 6:16 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Merit wrote:
ontnut wrote:Yeah Herb Jones, while not a star tier prospect, is exactly as valuable as OG was to us. And remember, we were looking for like 3-4 1st rounders for him a couple years back? That's Herb Jones to the Pelicans. He's the kind of wing player any team would want. He's not sexy, so the idea of trading 2-3 1sts for him is out of the question - but....that's exactly the value of a guy like him to his own team.

I agree with that

Other issue for Poeltl with Raptors now is I don’t think his skill set fits how Masai/Darko wants to play and the fit with Scottie isn’t ideal. Scottie in high post surrounded by shooters would be ideal

Agreed as well. I do like Nic Claxton for us given that he can rim run. Essentially, Scottie replaces Jak’s spots on the court and Claxton goes to the dunker spot. I would also be interested in Edey because I’m a team Canada homer and it looks like he’s developed a set shot 3.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#92 » by Merit » Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 pm

tdotrep2 wrote:
Merit wrote:
ontnut wrote:Yeah Herb Jones, while not a star tier prospect, is exactly as valuable as OG was to us. And remember, we were looking for like 3-4 1st rounders for him a couple years back? That's Herb Jones to the Pelicans. He's the kind of wing player any team would want. He's not sexy, so the idea of trading 2-3 1sts for him is out of the question - but....that's exactly the value of a guy like him to his own team.

Doesn't matter if yak was on a min for the next few years. A wing with Herb's 3 and d at his contract is infinitely more valuable than a center whos not a star, it's just the way it is.

It’s just the way it is. Things will never be the saaaame.

Aww yeah.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#93 » by Merit » Tue May 14, 2024 6:20 pm

tdotrep2 wrote:
Merit wrote:

Oh and you’re wrong. Rookie scale Jak would have similar appeal. It’s the contracts that are most important.

If Herb jones and jak’s contract were the same, Herb would be more valuable given the positional difference.
I believe in Masai.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue May 14, 2024 8:41 pm

Merit wrote:
tdotrep2 wrote:
Merit wrote:

It’s just the way it is. Things will never be the saaaame.

Aww yeah.

lol
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,667

Post#95 » by Mr Funk » Tue May 14, 2024 9:29 pm

One Pelican who does intrigue me for our bench is Dyson Daniels. He's still raw, but has tremendous tools and upside if developed properly and could be a good role player off the bench.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Post#96 » by agkagk » Tue May 14, 2024 10:36 pm

Shakril wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Shakril wrote:

I agree to an extent

And my gut says jakub is a championship level centre

But playing devils advicate: the free agent market is trash but loaded with centres.

Hark, jv, clax, gafford plus about a dozen more recognizable players.

If the offseason breaks wrong and we tank— flip jakub for a pick in the 20s and another abaji level prospect.

And just overpay hark 22 x 2 or something

Fwiw: i think masai wants to win asap and sees jakub as a building block.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#97 » by Merit » Wed May 15, 2024 12:42 am

agkagk wrote:
Shakril wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

I agree to an extent

But playing devils advicate: the free agent market is trash but loaded with centres.

If the offseason breaks wrong and we tank— flip jakub for a pick in the 20s and another abaji level prospect.

I think Jak is an ideal centre on a contending team. He doesn't need touches, moves the ball well, and plays solid defence.
I believe in Masai.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Post#98 » by agkagk » Wed May 15, 2024 1:15 am

Merit wrote:
agkagk wrote:
Shakril wrote:

I agree to an extent

I think Jak is an ideal centre on a contending team. He doesn't need touches, moves the ball well, and plays solid defence.

Lakers, dallas etc

Idk what these teams are doing.

Last year it was fred, this year:

These teams should have overpaid and begged us for a brown + jakub combo.

Elite glue guys.

…. Good luck to dallas waiting 3 years for lively lmao
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,472

Post#99 » by KrazyP » Wed May 15, 2024 2:34 pm

agkagk wrote:
Merit wrote:
agkagk wrote:
I agree to an extent

Lakers, dallas etc

Idk what these teams are doing.

Last year it was fred, this year:

These teams should have overpaid and begged us for a brown + jakub combo.

Elite glue guys.

…. Good luck to dallas waiting 3 years for lively lmao

Mavs are doing just fine. Since trading for Gafford and Washington, their defense now looks top tier and Doncic/Irving can run a high octane offense pretty much on their own. If Doncic wasnt playing hurt, I could see them in the Finals.
Corson27
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#100 » by Corson27 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:46 pm

Dallas is more than fine. They're battling a Western giant like OKC to a standstill....

Return to Toronto Raptors