ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai Approval Rating

Moderators: Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ

Masai Approval Rating

A
10%
B
24%
C
30%
D
24%
F
11%
Just want to see results
2%

Total votes: 191

djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,915

Re: Masai Approval Rating 

Post#121 » by djsunyc » Tue May 14, 2024 4:10 pm

PRESTIGE wrote:No doubt he’s been terrible since the Barnes draft. Made a decent trade with OG but still below average overall. Looking to see some innovative moves over the next few seasons.

gradey pick looks great.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,988

Post#122 » by refshateRaps » Tue May 14, 2024 7:12 pm

If it wasnt for the championship he would be facing the same fate as Colangelo.

They wasted a very good core the last few years, and continously trotted it out again and again without going after a leader that was required. Losing a draft pick was absolutely unacceptable in a year that blew up the roster. Shows how asleep at the wheel they have been.

These guys have been terrible. No focus. No urgency to build something worthwhile.

D And would be an F if not for the championship
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,190

Post#123 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 7:21 pm

I'm shocked at the near perfect symmetric of the poll. Bell distribution near perfect
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,337

Post#124 » by brownbobcat » Tue May 14, 2024 7:23 pm

djsunyc wrote:
PRESTIGE wrote:No doubt he’s been terrible since the Barnes draft. Made a decent trade with OG but still below average overall. Looking to see some innovative moves over the next few seasons.

gradey pick looks great.

It's OK, I don't know about 'great'. We'll see how he continues to develop.

If we distance everything that resulted from the disastrous misstep last year and start fresh from the draft, the key moves have been:

Gradey: B
Schroder signing: B
Schroder waiving: D
OG trade: A
Siakam trade: C
KO trade: C

Handling Brown & GTJ are going to be the next key moves along with the draft. Just need to rack up a lot more of those A's to pull up that GPA.
binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,720

Post#125 » by binjumper » Tue May 14, 2024 7:51 pm

Too many people want a flash in a pan. Things take time and in the tik tok era people only have the attention span of a goldfish.

Life is a slow burn. You gotta take the ups with the downs or you're just an ****.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,180

Post#126 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 14, 2024 10:43 pm

Pretty interesting results in this poll - we got ourselves a nice bell curve. If you follow the narrative, it seems we are largely divided. Yet, the results suggest a pretty clear consensus around average and unremarkable performance, not a slam dunk and not disastrous.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 547

Post#127 » by CazOnReal » Tue May 14, 2024 10:52 pm

DelAbbot wrote:- Ochai + Kelly O is a Neutral move
- Dick is a Neutral move (he has not proven himself)

How can you possibly say Norm for GTJ is a neutral move? It's a big fat loss. At similar AAV, GTJ today has no value but Norm is a perennial 6th man candidate, worth a low FRP.

Hard disagree on both.

This draft class sucks, it's part of why the Siakam trade was as bad as it was: They got 2 picks in a draft you traded out of the year prior and one of them was looking at being bottom 3. Turning that one pick and essentially dead salary into a rotational piece who can give you a preview of what a stretch 4/5 looks like next to Scottie (Admittedly cut short because Barnes got injured and Kelly's shooting just wasn't there those first few games) and a prospect who's better than just about any player you'd expect to come out of that 28-30 range made a lot of sense. Ochai doesn't scream All-Star but he definitely seems like he can be a capable rotation-level player who'll play with solid defensive effort, it's all a matter of whether he can work on his 3 ball.

You can maybe make an argument for Keyonte, Whitmore or Podziemski but Dick made sense on draft night due to his shooting and playmaking complimenting Scottie, and it was expected they were going to re-sign Fred at the time. His rookie season was up and down but post-January there was a lot to like about his shooting, his off-ball movement and even his intensity on defense picking up. Dude was picking up charges like he was the GROAT.

Trent was a case of "made sense at the time" largely influenced by the Tampa season. Powell was in his final year and looking at a big extension after severely outplaying his current contract, and with the apparent financial losses of that season, it made sense they preferred gambling on Trent becoming a better player than Norm. For all that can be said about Gary, he is a better player at his current age than Norm was, and with it looking like the team might be heading in a younger direction, getting him for an expiring Powell was fair for the time.

The two big issues, aside from Trent's inconsistency on defense and lack of progress as a playmaker, were them not locking up Trent for 4-5 years like they did with O.G. and Siakam (Anunoby had a player option but in general he was locked up for the long run), and that he was signed for the same AAV as Powell was. He played up to that level of production in the first year of his contract but he's stagnated since then.

I'd also point that the Blazers traded Powell without getting a 1st for him but I digress. Like I said, I lean more negative than positive since there's a not insignificant chance they lose Gary for nothing and if they do then that's one more example of talent drain, not to mention a player who fits great next to Scottie.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,073

Post#128 » by carlosey » Tue May 14, 2024 10:56 pm

We got some good assets to build upon. Sure not every move has panned out and some bad luck also has played a role, I think sitting tight on FVV was the most complex one that backfired, but overall Im certain those guys can get is playing competitive ball again in time by building talent again.

Only suggestion is to ensure we dont move in a compete now only direction like with Nick Nurse where theres not a lot of development of new players and then we have to start from 0.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,988

Post#129 » by refshateRaps » Tue May 14, 2024 11:04 pm

Coco Costanza wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I'm happy with all the trades he made last year, as well as the Dick draft selection.

Not gonna continue bashing him for a mistake he made, and owned up to already, two seasons ago (i.e., Poeltl trade).

Grade: A

A?

Heavy kool-aid pouring going on there
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,862

Post#130 » by dTox » Wed May 15, 2024 1:13 am

A solid C
TBZ for the win
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,084

Post#131 » by Indeed » Wed May 15, 2024 2:03 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Obviously... this thread is just taking place after the draft lottery but you're judging him for all the things you said. Thought that would be implied lol.

I think it should be after the draft, which is part of the evaluation. Draft lottery is not part of the evaluation and has nothing to include, regardless of where we draft, we should draft a good one anyway. The timing of this thread is just feel more to a reaction of a non-controllable event, instead of really focusing on the FO evaluation.

Sorry but losing the 8th pick in the draft when you're clearly a rebuilding team is a massive blow. We can have another thread after the draft. Our opinions of this front office is never absolute and will always be fluid based on how they do.

Heck, they can finesse another team for a great young player in the offseason and my tune would change immediately... thats how fickle things are lol.

I disagree.
Regardless of where we pick, we should draft a good player, and the evaluation should be after the draft.
As for losing the pick, it was due to a trade, not because of a lottery, and the evaluation should not be done at this time, but at the trade.

Furthermore, we are unintentionally having a bad record, meaning we will be unintentionally having a bad record next year, thus, convey the pick now is better.

Meanwhile, to me, the issue is Barnes, about to get paid and not able to lift the team (much like DeRozan, get his point, but not able to make the playoffs for his team). Are you willing to give him the max? Or are you willing to trade him?
twiggy2
Rookie
And1: 417

Post#132 » by twiggy2 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:57 am

Low. We are in a real pickle. It would be really hard for us to outright tank with the talent we do have. We are in the treadmill.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,009
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#133 » by will » Wed May 15, 2024 10:53 am

3 thumbs down.
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant
And1: 30,512

Post#134 » by Red Shoelace » Wed May 15, 2024 12:56 pm

D.

I have a feeling there will be some very poor short term decision making going on this season at the trade deadline.
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,104

Post#135 » by RapsFanInVA » Wed May 15, 2024 1:10 pm

B. Quickley-RJ-Scottie-Dick is a solid young core with a solid 5 man in Poeltl. Nothing spectacular, we needed a hard reset last year, and we have a long-term coach focused on player development willing to take some L's for the good of the young players (something Nurse was roasted for). It doesn't sound as dire as others make it seem. We're not in cap hell, we have our picks moving forward, we have flexibility. Very interested to see where Masai takes us.
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,257

Post#136 » by Appostis » Wed May 15, 2024 1:47 pm

B

Sold high on OG, but should of gotten better value on Pascal.

The Yak trade made sense but didn't work out unfortunately.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,684

Post#137 » by 2019nbachamps » Wed May 15, 2024 2:23 pm

It's hilarious some here give Masai an A. Dude has missed 3/4 playoffs and hasn't won a round in 5 years. Let's just give him an A+ by default and a job for life.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,675

Post#138 » by Scase » Wed May 15, 2024 2:46 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
djsunyc wrote:another thread to beat the dead horse that's the yak trade.

find a new slant!

We want our pound of flesh!

Easily his worst move but complaining about it every single f****ng day isn't going to undo it. The carcass of that dead horse has already decomposed and disintegrated.

There are plenty of stupid trades and moves to harp on, this is just the most recent large one. It is arguably the worst move he's made since his tenure here, and I think it's not shocking that people are still up in arms about it. It has had massive impacts on how the team has been handled, and it's absurd that a mid tier player is at the root of all of it.

I think it's pretty clear the intent was to bring back FVV and re-sign OG/Siakam. So even if we completely ignore the horrendous trade, that means that without the godfather offer from the Rockets, we'd be in an even worse position right now. Running it back with a failure of a core.

People can say the trade was horrible until the cows come home, which don't get me wrong, I agree with. But the really funny part, is that his plans around that trade are arguably even worse. Dude has lost his mojo big time.
Props TZ!
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,427

Post#139 » by ItsDanger » Wed May 15, 2024 3:09 pm

Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
djsunyc wrote:another thread to beat the dead horse that's the yak trade.

find a new slant!

We want our pound of flesh!

Easily his worst move but complaining about it every single f****ng day isn't going to undo it. The carcass of that dead horse has already decomposed and disintegrated.

There are plenty of stupid trades and moves to harp on, this is just the most recent large one. It is arguably the worst move he's made since his tenure here, and I think it's not shocking that people are still up in arms about it. It has had massive impacts on how the team has been handled, and it's absurd that a mid tier player is at the root of all of it.

I think it's pretty clear the intent was to bring back FVV and re-sign OG/Siakam. So even if we completely ignore the horrendous trade, that means that without the godfather offer from the Rockets, we'd be in an even worse position right now. Running it back with a failure of a core.

People can say the trade was horrible until the cows come home, which don't get me wrong, I agree with. But the really funny part, is that his plans around that trade are arguably even worse. Dude has lost his mojo big time.

Good point. As little as 11 months ago, Masai wanted to keep the core together still. He let the players he had so much faith in dictate direction of the team. Need to see some aggressive moves at the draft.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,862

Post#140 » by dTox » Wed May 15, 2024 3:57 pm

binjumper wrote:Too many people want a flash in a pan. Things take time and in the tik tok era people only have the attention span of a goldfish.

Life is a slow burn. You gotta take the ups with the downs or you're just an ****.

\
Isn't trading what turned out to be the #8th pick in a draft for Jakob freaking Poetl (or 20th pick for a 50 year old Thad Young) the definition of wanting flash in a pan? Majority of people preferred a slow build, it's not the fans that lost patience.
TBZ for the win

Return to Toronto Raptors