ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,738

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#381 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Something like

Ingram to Atl
Brown + Trae to No
Hunter + pick to Toronto.

NO doesn't have the salaries to do 1 for 1 for Ingram + Trae. They do have some smaller salaries they could add on but then Ingram + filler for Trae might not be too appealing + Atl will be looking to shed salary with an upcoming Ingram extension

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#382 » by Skin » Wed May 15, 2024 11:15 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Skin wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:The Magic aren't getting Quickley, deal with it.

That's 99.999999999% true, but for fun what's the number where you start to say, yeah, that's too much for Quickley?

For me, I'd say $35M per year. More than that and I'm looking at other options.

It's 4 days after the start FA before you can offer sheet, & then it's 2 days to match. So almost a whole week before you u know if you have recieved your RFA signing

For ORL that's a non-factor. The alternatives would be Tyus Jones and Malik Monk. We wouldn't cry in pain by missing on those 2.

I feel like a S&T could be a possibility that works for both sides.
Skin
RealGM

Post#383 » by Skin » Wed May 15, 2024 11:17 pm

PoundTown wrote:
ontnut wrote:
Skin wrote:That's 99.999999999% true, but for fun what's the number where you start to say, yeah, that's too much for Quickley?

For me, I'd say $35M per year. More than that and I'm looking at other options.

I mean, the max is $39. So..35 isn't exactly that far off.

Anything more than 30 would have me questioning myself.

We don't really have any other choice, but to keep him. Losing him for nothing would be really bad.

What if we sent you some combination of pick 18, Cole Anthony, Wendell Carter, 2025 1st, 2025 DEN 1st, 2nds?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,931

Post#384 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 15, 2024 11:47 pm

Skin wrote:
PoundTown wrote:
ontnut wrote:I mean, the max is $39. So..35 isn't exactly that far off.

Anything more than 30 would have me questioning myself.

We don't really have any other choice, but to keep him. Losing him for nothing would be really bad.

What if we sent you some combination of pick 18, Cole Anthony, Wendell Carter, 2025 1st, 2025 DEN 1st, 2nds?

You’re better off pursuing UFA Monk
Skin
RealGM

Post#385 » by Skin » Thu May 16, 2024 12:10 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Skin wrote:
PoundTown wrote:

Probably, but it's always a good exercise to exhaust all options. My only goal here is to figure out the breaking point of where the Raptors wouldn't match. If they would match the max then the discussion is over. If not, then that's the area of exploration that I wanted to pin point.

Like here's an imaginary example... what the real situation would be the question.

Can the Magic get him at $31M per? No, Raptors happily match
Can the Magic get him at $32M per? No, Raptors match
Can the Magic get him at $33M per? No, Raptors begrudgingly match
Can the Magic get him at $34M per? No, Raptors say damn you Magic for pressuring us this hard
Can the Magic get him at $35M per? Maybe, Raptors say let's talk S&T and work out a favorable trade
Can the Magic get him at $36M per? Maybe, Magic say, if we pay IQ more, then S&T value back to the Raptors is less
Can the Magic get him at $37M per? Yes, Raptors say, if you want him, you'll have to overpay, we won't do a S&T
Can the Magic get him at $38M per? Yes, Raptors say sorry fans, we will use our money in a better way
Can the Magic get him at $39M per? Yes, Raptors tell the world that the Magic are stupid as **** lol
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 547

Post#386 » by CazOnReal » Thu May 16, 2024 12:22 am

Skin wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Skin wrote:What if we sent you some combination of pick 18, Cole Anthony, Wendell Carter, 2025 1st, 2025 DEN 1st, 2nds?

Probably, but it's always a good exercise to exhaust all options. My only goal here is to figure out the breaking point of where the Raptors wouldn't match.

The problem with this exercise is that it's a flawed premise. The Raptors are going to re-sign Quickley, the only hypothetical is if a team screws up their potential to sign free agents when IQ's cap hold/Brown's team option could allow them to spend money on a starter-level player.

Read on Twitter

I'm personally not fond of a Patrick Williams signing (I could maybe be talked in to a S+T for Trent or Brown) due to him being an RFA that can very easily be matched/that the Bulls can easily clear cap space to match while ducking the tax via trading Lonzo Ball (Also Williams is just not very good/will almost certainly be overpaid in this weak free agency class) but they're an example of what the Raptors could try to do in an attempt to reverse the talent drain they've experienced post-championship due to that potential cap space.

Point being, the Raptors are not in a position to let Quickley walk, period. There's a reason why PJ Washington - who was also an RFA in the oft-coveted 3 & D archetype - had no one trying to sign or S+T him for months despite his price tag being seemingly gettable. Restricted free agency inherently disincentivizes teams to splurge on RFAs and we very rarely see teams successfully pry away even smaller names like the Jazz failed to last year via an offer sheet that the 76ers matched.

Also the Magic can't offer Quickley $39 million AAV despite their cap space, this is a stupid thought experiment when one is considering options that literally aren't possible.
Skin
RealGM

Post#387 » by Skin » Thu May 16, 2024 1:16 am

CazOnReal wrote:
Skin wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Probably, but it's always a good exercise to exhaust all options. My only goal here is to figure out the breaking point of where the Raptors wouldn't match.

The problem with this exercise is that it's a flawed premise. The Raptors are going to re-sign Quickley, the only hypothetical is if a team screws up their potential to sign free agents when IQ's cap hold/Brown's team option could allow them to spend money on a starter-level player.

Read on Twitter

I'm personally not fond of a Patrick Williams signing (I could maybe be talked in to a S+T for Trent or Brown) due to him being an RFA that can very easily be matched/that the Bulls can easily clear cap space to match while ducking the tax via trading Lonzo Ball (Also Williams is just not very good/will almost certainly be overpaid in this weak free agency class) but they're an example of what the Raptors could try to do in an attempt to reverse the talent drain they've experienced post-championship due to that potential cap space.

Point being, the Raptors are not in a position to let Quickley walk, period. There's a reason why PJ Washington - who was also an RFA in the oft-coveted 3 & D archetype - had no one trying to sign or S+T him for months despite his price tag being seemingly gettable. Restricted free agency inherently disincentivizes teams to splurge on RFAs and we very rarely see teams successfully pry away even smaller names like the Jazz failed to last year via an offer sheet that the 76ers matched.

Also the Magic can't offer Quickley $39 million AAV despite their cap space, this is a stupid thought experiment when one is considering options that literally aren't possible.

I get that you want to believe that he'll just take whatever the Raptors offer, and that it's hard for other teams to approach him. It's in your best interest to believe that. But it IS possible for other teams to put pressure on you. Sometimes teams WANT their RFAs to find an offer sheet so they don't set the market on him or overpay him.

So my question is what is the most another team could offer Quickley? If not 39M, then what is the number? I appreciate the education.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,183

Post#388 » by billy_hoyle » Thu May 16, 2024 1:40 am

Skin wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
Skin wrote:Probably, but it's always a good exercise to exhaust all options. My only goal here is to figure out the breaking point of where the Raptors wouldn't match.

Read on Twitter

I get that you want to believe that he'll just take whatever the Raptors offer, and that it's hard for other teams to approach him. It's in your best interest to believe that. But it IS possible for other teams to put pressure on you. Sometimes teams WANT their RFAs to find an offer sheet so they don't set the market on him or overpay him.

So my question is what is the most another team could offer Quickley? If not 39M, then what is the number? I appreciate the education.

I think the Raps might actually begrudgingly match a max offer to IQ. What else would they do with an extra what $10m a season? Would they really lose a tier 2 asset without impacting their tax sheet? That's less than Boucher. We'd have no way of replacing him.

We might as well uber-tank if you let IQ go IMO.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#389 » by CazOnReal » Thu May 16, 2024 2:08 am

Skin wrote:So my question is what is the most another team could offer Quickley? If not 39M, then what is the number? I appreciate the education.

Since the cap is still TBD we won't have an exact figure; the current estimate for cap is $141 million which would make the maximum offer possible $35 million assuming a 25% max for Immanuel.

They would very easily match that, though once again it does complicate teambuilding/would cause them to prioritize getting those supporting pieces in place before the team is ready to compete and thus face the potential luxury tax.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,336

Post#390 » by Zeno » Thu May 16, 2024 2:13 am

CazOnReal wrote:
Skin wrote:So my question is what is the most another team could offer Quickley? If not 39M, then what is the number? I appreciate the education.

Since the cap is still TBD we won't have an exact figure; the current estimate for cap is $141 million which would make the maximum offer possible $35 million assuming a 25% max for Immanuel.

They would very easily match that, though once again it does complicate teambuilding/would cause them to prioritize getting those supporting pieces in place before the team is ready to compete and thus face the potential luxury tax.

I very much doubt anyone would offer Quickly a max contract and definitely not a full max with increases over 4 years, so even in the worst case that some team tried to offer him a Fred type short term deal, it would be the worst thing to start him at the max and decline his salary every year by 8% until he is properly paid on the backend.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#391 » by Zeno » Thu May 16, 2024 2:20 am

This is probably going to get shot down aggressively because he is kind of at a low with his value right now but would anyone do Giddy for Yak, assuming we could draft a centre. The additional benefit would be that Giddy is only making 8 million next year so it would open up additional flexibility . I think he’d work well in Darko’s system.
Bring on the Drake jokes.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#392 » by CazOnReal » Thu May 16, 2024 2:21 am

Zeno wrote:I very much doubt anyone would offer Quickly a max contract and definitely not a full max with increases over 4 years, so even in the worst case that some team tried to offer him a Fred type short term deal, it would be the worst thing to start him at the max and decline his salary every year by 8% until he is properly paid on the backend.

I'm aware of that and it's yet another reason why i'd expect Orlando to go after Klay or Trent since they're UFAs and thus don't have to worry about an offer sheet being max'd/them screwing up their plans in free agency to acquire shooters i.e. they can just throw money at them and those two could walk without a 36-hour moratorium while everyone else gets all the "big name" free agents.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,186

Post#393 » by ForeverTFC » Thu May 16, 2024 2:29 am

Are you under the impression that Masai and Bobby post here? All we know is that the Raptors are 100% committed to bringing IQ back. How are we supposed to know if their breaking point is $33m or $37m? Any answer you get is purely speculation. What exactly are you going to get out of this exercise?
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#394 » by ForeverTFC » Thu May 16, 2024 2:32 am

Zeno wrote:This is probably going to get shot down aggressively because he is kind of at a low with his value right now but would anyone do Giddy for Yak, assuming we could draft a centre. The additional benefit would be that Giddy is only making 8 million next year so it would open up additional flexibility . I think he’d work well in Darko’s system.

He's a non-shooter and weak defensively. We also don't have a need for a ball distributor as we'll be prioritizing touches for Scottie and IQ. It would be an awful situation for him and a terrible fit for us as well as our current roster desperately needs shooting to be able to play their game.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#395 » by Zeno » Thu May 16, 2024 2:38 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
Zeno wrote:This is probably going to get shot down aggressively because he is kind of at a low with his value right now but would anyone do Giddy for Yak, assuming we could draft a centre. The additional benefit would be that Giddy is only making 8 million next year so it would open up additional flexibility . I think he’d work well in Darko’s system.

He's a non-shooter and weak defensively. We also don't have a need for a ball distributor as we'll be prioritizing touches for Scottie and IQ. It would be an awful situation for him and a terrible fit for us which will impact the rest of the roster as well as they desperately need shooting to be able to play their game.

I don’t actually disagree, just spitballing but I will say he isn’t quite a non shooter as he’s improved his percentage and free throw percentage every year. He is also still very young. But you are most likely right.

Please advise….

Dan G.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#396 » by CazOnReal » Thu May 16, 2024 2:39 am

Hmm...
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#397 » by ForeverTFC » Thu May 16, 2024 2:45 am

Zeno wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

He's a non-shooter and weak defensively. We also don't have a need for a ball distributor as we'll be prioritizing touches for Scottie and IQ. It would be an awful situation for him and a terrible fit for us which will impact the rest of the roster as well as they desperately need shooting to be able to play their game.

I don’t actually disagree, just spitballing but I will say he isn’t quite a non shooter as he’s improved his percentage and free throw percentage every year. He is also still very young. But you are most likely right.

I still like his potential as well so I think it's a name worth kicking around. Ultimately for me, I've settled on the idea that anyone we add to a Scottie core needs to be able to shoot unless they can defend at an all-NBA level. And coming out of an era where our talent never added up to the sum of its parts, i might be way too focused on fit these days...
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,881

Post#398 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu May 16, 2024 3:33 am

Brown for Hunter, anyone?

Quickley
Barrett
Hunter
Barnes
Edey

='Ship
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#399 » by CazOnReal » Thu May 16, 2024 3:59 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Brown for Hunter, anyone?

Quickley
Barrett
Hunter
Barnes
Edey

='Ship

Not unless the Hawks are giving up that Kings 2025 pick

And a big no to Edey
RaptorLakerJay
Senior
And1: 275

Post#400 » by RaptorLakerJay » Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

We need this for playoff time. He'd be a great vet.

Return to Toronto Raptors