ImageImageImageImageImage

Preparing for some Brown disappointment

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,741

Re: Preparing for some Brown disappointment 

Post#101 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:25 pm

Every team remaining in playoff could use Brown

He'd be starting for Giddey on OKC
Denver could definitely use him again
Boston has no bench
Dallas would play him, he'd be another option for them
Minney would play him over Kyle Anderson, maybe Naw too
Knicks could use him with their injuries
He just came from the Pacers...

In Raptor Ball I Trust
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#102 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri May 17, 2024 2:28 pm

I am of the opinion his cap space would be more valuable than the current contract or his ability/skills.

But maybe that would only be more valuable for teams in the luxury tax.

Regardless, I just hope they get more assets like prospects and picks. Not interested in any vets that raise the floor from bottom 8 to late lotto.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#103 » by douggood » Fri May 17, 2024 2:32 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:I am of the opinion his cap space would be more valuable than the current contract or his ability/skills.

Regardless, I just hope they get more assets like prospects and picks. Not interested in any vets that raise the floor from bottom 8 to late lotto.

letting brown and trent walk gives us 29 mil cap space + room mle

29 mil cap space + room mle (max 3 yr 25 mil)
or
brown (or whatever he is traded for) + trent (lets say 2 year 40) + standard mle (max 4 year 55)
redraptor77
Junior
And1: 223

Post#104 » by redraptor77 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:38 pm

Is this Doug Smith lol.
Well that means he is going to sign an extension shortly.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,172

Post#105 » by WaltFrazier » Fri May 17, 2024 2:44 pm

Asif16 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Doug being quoted as a source.

So Brown is staying then.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,862

Post#106 » by dTox » Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 pm

We just received the Doug Smith kiss of death, Brown is going to retire a Raptor
TBZ for the win
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,199

Post#107 » by ForeverTFC » Fri May 17, 2024 3:40 pm

ItsDanger wrote:When tradeable contracts become bad contracts.

It’s unguaranteed and at worst an expiring. How is it a bad contract?
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,148

Post#108 » by LarSiN » Fri May 17, 2024 3:52 pm

Thread title sounds like it's Chili Night
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,322

Post#109 » by ciueli » Fri May 17, 2024 4:06 pm

I'm interested to see what direction Chicago goes, if they keep DeMar and are still pushing to be a playoff team I could see us swapping Brown for Lonzo Ball, maybe to move up in the draft if there's someone Masai wants at 11 who won't be there at 19.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,117

Post#110 » by Duffman100 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:15 pm

ciueli wrote:I'm interested to see what direction Chicago goes, if they keep DeMar and are still pushing to be a playoff team I could see us swapping Brown for Lonzo Ball, maybe to move up in the draft if there's someone Masai wants at 11 who won't be there at 19.

I don't see Lonzo really ever playing again. I like the idea of using Brown to jump up though.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,406

Post#111 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 17, 2024 4:35 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:

It isn't. Just complaining for the sake of it
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,004

Post#112 » by wegotthabeet » Fri May 17, 2024 4:38 pm

no expiring contract is ever bad.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 2,004

Post#113 » by wegotthabeet » Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
ciueli wrote:I'm interested to see what direction Chicago goes, if they keep DeMar and are still pushing to be a playoff team I could see us swapping Brown for Lonzo Ball, maybe to move up in the draft if there's someone Masai wants at 11 who won't be there at 19.

I don't see Lonzo really ever playing again. I like the idea of using Brown to jump up though.

maybe, but if Shaun Livingston came back then he could too.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,919

Post#114 » by Thaddy » Fri May 17, 2024 4:46 pm

Brown for Ball and 12. Would be too expensive and risky. It'll likely be some kind of toxic contract we will improve the value of over time.

Okongwu + Hunter for Brown + McDaniels.

We replace the shooting from Trent Jr with a bigger player while also getting a young back up C.

Poeltl - Okongwu - Chomche
Hunter - Olynyk
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
Quickely - Carrington

We can try to compete with this roster and blow things up mid season if it goes bad with a trade dealing away Poeltl, Okongwu, Barrett, Olynyk, and others.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,553

Post#115 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:47 pm

mtcan wrote:I don't expect anything more than like 2 2nd round picks and a bad contract if we are being realistic.

Depends on the contract but if we're saving teams from tax problems, that's going to cost a FRP.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#116 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:54 pm

Thaddy wrote:Brown for Ball and 12. Would be too expensive and risky. It'll likely be some kind of toxic contract we will improve the value of over time.

We replace the shooting from Trent Jr with a bigger player while also getting a young back up C.

Hunter - Olynyk
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
Quickely - Carrington

We can try to compete with this roster and blow things up mid season if it goes bad with a trade dealing away Poeltl, Okongwu, Barrett, Olynyk, and others.

Would rather just do Brown for Hunter + SAC 2025 FRP. We take on long term salary for an extra 2025 FRP. Atlanta frees up some capspace and they can keep Okongwu as well. Hunter can fill in on the wings until we find a better replacement next year and he's also always injured, which helps the tank next year if we choose to go that route.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,431

Post#117 » by ItsDanger » Fri May 17, 2024 4:57 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

It isn't. Just complaining for the sake of it

For the 2nd time in this thread, I was referencing the bad contract list in OP. "Just complaining for the sake of it"? Hmmm.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,856

Post#118 » by ConSarnit » Fri May 17, 2024 5:10 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Thaddy wrote:Brown for Ball and 12. Would be too expensive and risky. It'll likely be some kind of toxic contract we will improve the value of over time.

Hunter - Olynyk
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
Quickely - Carrington

Would rather just do Brown for Hunter + SAC 2025 FRP. We take on long term salary for an extra 2025 FRP. Atlanta frees up some capspace and they can keep Okongwu as well. Hunter can fill in on the wings until we find a better replacement next year and he's also always injured, which helps the tank next year if we choose to go that route.

If someone offers us an expiring and a lotto pick, even if it’s in a bad draft, we have to take that deal. The odds of us doing better than 12 is slim to none. Brown is not going to do anything for us next year so taking on Ball’s dead salary for next year doesn’t cost us anything. We’d still have Ball’s expiring to try and swing a salary dump.

We all want an extra ‘25 1st but we can’t be turning down a lotto pick for Brown regardless of the quality of the draft.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#119 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri May 17, 2024 5:14 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

Hunter - Olynyk
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
Quickely - Carrington

If someone offers us an expiring and a lotto pick, even if it’s in a bad draft, we have to take that deal. The odds of us doing better than 12 is slim to none. Brown is not going to do anything for us next year so taking on Ball’s dead salary for next year doesn’t cost us anything. We’d still have Ball’s expiring to try and swing a salary dump.

We all want an extra ‘25 1st but we can’t be turning down a lotto pick for Brown regardless of the quality of the draft.

For sure, if this is on the table, I would do it. I just don't see why Chicago would.

No one knows what Chicago is doing...not even themselves, I'd argue but it seems objectively foolish to use a lottery pick to offload an expiring contract.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,628

Post#120 » by Tor_Raps » Fri May 17, 2024 5:17 pm

douggood wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:I am of the opinion his cap space would be more valuable than the current contract or his ability/skills.

letting brown and trent walk gives us 29 mil cap space + room mle

29 mil cap space + room mle (max 3 yr 25 mil)
or
brown (or whatever he is traded for) + trent (lets say 2 year 40) + standard mle (max 4 year 55)

So teams still get the MLE even if they have cap space? Or do they get the cap space + a small MLE like I think you're stating.

Return to Toronto Raptors