ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Blowout loss

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,895

Re: PG: Blowout loss 

Post#101 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:34 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:I'm no fan of Darko but let's get real here, nobody is doing better with that roster last night. I am willing to bet nobody, other than Nwora, even knew who Malik Williams was. Even Darko I bet had never heard of him.

Here is who played last night:

IQ - Only legit starter, but is new to the role and has only been with the team 3 months.
Dick - Up and down year, 20 year old rookie.
Temple - Great bench vet, but old and a terrible player.
McDaniels - Only got the start because of facing his brother, which shows how seriously we are taking these games lol. Even the most ardent Masai defender will admit this guy is absolutely awful and should not be in the NBA.
Gueye - Not in the NBA next season
Malik - Not in the NBA 9 days from now.
Simmons - Not in the NBA 2 days from now.
JFL - Tops out as our 14th-15th guy next season.
Nwora - He's not good. He'll be n the NBA next season but most likely as a 3rd stringer.

The only 2 guys that have been with the team all season are McD and Temple, who never play, rightfully. Even Pop or Spoelstra aren't doing anything with that roster.

Darko has also had to deal with:

Brown - Clearly doesn't want to be on the team.
OG - Wanted out for a while, and mailed it in for his last 3 weeks once he knew trade talks were in the works.
Siakam - Wanted t stay but team didn't want to pay him and told him that, which had to have made things weird at best.
GTJ - Seemingly wants to stay but they are obviously at odds over money.
Flynn - Was obviously mandated to play him, likely out of the NBA next season.

I'm no FO fanboy (I couldn't care less if Masai, Bobby and Darko all walked out the door tomorrow) but Darko gets a pass for me this season. That doesn't mean I haven't seen some things I don't like from him. I have....but come one, you have to have some serious blinders on to not admit he was dealt a very bad hand.

100%

If the start of next season our defensive rotations are bad, our effort level is low, we're giving up offensive rebounds, we're still sloppy turning the ball over...

Then you pull the plug.

I’d give him more rope than that.

It’s obvious Masai has chucked the 5 x 6’9 defensive menace/teach-them-to-shoot project

Now it’s obvious he’s trying to bring the European style of play to the NBA.

Problem is,for the most part, Darko doesn’t have the shooting talent and basketball IQ on the roster to make it work. This is a roster and team in transition that just started 3 months ago.

As long as guys keep developing, you’re seeing the style of play continue to evolve, and their are good coach-player relations, I’d let him keep going regardless of the record.

Two examples…

1) player development: before OA went down, he was starting to actually play decent, his shot was still off but he was under control. RJ has played great as a Raptor. Dick of course.

2) style of play evolution: just watch Dick play. He’s the only guy playing with elite IQ and shooting. He’s constantly in motion, constantly cutting, constantly moving to get an open shot. This is what they are working towards having 3 Dicks* + C or 4 Dicks* circling Scottie.

(*Dicks doesn’t mean white guys. It’s guys who can shoot and move off the ball).

I think Darko has done well this year considering how he was hired to coach did not match the roster to start the season and, while the roster is starting to resemble what he needs, the overall talent is awful.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,007

Post#102 » by NinjaBro » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:40 pm

TNRaps4life wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:I always knew this board never had it in them for a tank. All this crying and whining. We are literally playing a hybrid of a bench and G-leaguers for the past month. Of course we suck.

The whining is epic! And some of them want us to fully tank next year Fun times.

Exactly. Where are the TWO people? It is okay to loose. We got a good core for next year.
TWO people don't watch the games, they spend their day complaining and refreshing tankathon. They don't even know who Malik Williams is

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,566

Post#103 » by mtcan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:47 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:I'm no fan of Darko but let's get real here, nobody is doing better with that roster last night. I am willing to bet nobody, other than Nwora, even knew who Malik Williams was. Even Darko I bet had never heard of him.

Here is who played last night:

IQ - Only legit starter, but is new to the role and has only been with the team 3 months.
Dick - Up and down year, 20 year old rookie.
Temple - Great bench vet, but old and a terrible player.
McDaniels - Only got the start because of facing his brother, which shows how seriously we are taking these games lol. Even the most ardent Masai defender will admit this guy is absolutely awful and should not be in the NBA.
Gueye - Not in the NBA next season
Malik - Not in the NBA 9 days from now.
Simmons - Not in the NBA 2 days from now.
JFL - Tops out as our 14th-15th guy next season.
Nwora - He's not good. He'll be n the NBA next season but most likely as a 3rd stringer.

The only 2 guys that have been with the team all season are McD and Temple, who never play, rightfully. Even Pop or Spoelstra aren't doing anything with that roster.

Darko has also had to deal with:

Brown - Clearly doesn't want to be on the team.
OG - Wanted out for a while, and mailed it in for his last 3 weeks once he knew trade talks were in the works.
Siakam - Wanted t stay but team didn't want to pay him and told him that, which had to have made things weird at best.
GTJ - Seemingly wants to stay but they are obviously at odds over money.
Flynn - Was obviously mandated to play him, likely out of the NBA next season.

I'm no FO fanboy (I couldn't care less if Masai, Bobby and Darko all walked out the door tomorrow) but Darko gets a pass for me this season. That doesn't mean I haven't seen some things I don't like from him. I have....but come one, you have to have some serious blinders on to not admit he was dealt a very bad hand.

100%

If the start of next season our defensive rotations are bad, our effort level is low, we're giving up offensive rebounds, we're still sloppy turning the ball over...

Then you pull the plug.

It’s obvious Masai has chucked the 5 x 6’9 defensive menace/teach-them-to-shoot project

Problem is,for the most part, Darko doesn’t have the shooting talent and basketball IQ on the roster to make it work. This is a roster and team in transition that just started 3 months ago.

As long as guys keep developing, you’re seeing the style of play continue to evolve, and their are good coach-player relations, I’d let him keep going regardless of the record.

Two examples…

1) player development: before OA went down, he was starting to actually play decent, his shot was still off but he was under control. RJ has played great as a Raptor. Dick of course.

2) style of play evolution: just watch Dick play. He’s the only guy playing with elite IQ and shooting. He’s constantly in motion, constantly cutting, constantly moving to get an open shot. This is what they are working towards having 3 Dicks* + C or 4 Dicks* circling Scottie.

(*Dicks doesn’t mean white guys. It’s guys who can shoot and move off the ball).

I think Darko has done well this year considering how he was hired to coach did not match the roster to start the season and, while the roster is starting to resemble what he needs, the overall talent is awful.

There are clubs in the city where you can have 3, 4 or more dicks surrounding Scottie. :lol:
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#104 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:49 pm

mtcan wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
100%

Then you pull the plug.

Two examples…

There are clubs in the city where you can have 3, 4 or more dicks surrounding Scottie. :lol:

I intentionally left that low hanging fruit to see who’d grab at it :lol:
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,016

Post#105 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:01 pm

This season still going on?
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,438

Post#106 » by ill-Will03 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:02 pm

mtcan wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:
mtcan wrote:A loss by 50 is the same as a loss by 5 for this team's current plan and direction.

If this was a 50 point loss while playing Scottie/Quick/RJ/Poeltl/Trent with all the guys that would consider part of the long term plans...I'd be concerned.

However...this was a 50 point loss while playing 8 guys and only 2 of them figure to be part of the rotation and future...so losing by 50 to a top 5 team in the league with one of the best young scorers and a multi-time DPOY is completely reasonable. What are people complaining about?

If you are going to subject yourselves to watching the rest of the games this season...take every moment with a grain of salt. Losses are expected with the players that playing. Darko is being told to play the G-leaguers for the purpose of evaluation, tanking and a favor to the agents of these G-leaguers so they get exposure for their next contracts. Nwora and Trent are obviously playing for their next contracts as evident by their selfish play.

It most definitely is not the same lol wtf

Did you read the rest of the post? Clearly not. Nice.

Maybe try reading and responding with more than just "lol wtf".

This is exactly whats wrong with tanking. This kind of effort just becomes normalized and any standards of a team go out the window. You shouldn't just lose by 50 just because your 3rd or 4th stringers are playing, that is not an excuse. I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to actually lose by that much..
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,007

Post#107 » by NinjaBro » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:16 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:

This is exactly whats wrong with tanking. This kind of effort just becomes normalized and any standards of a team go out the window. You shouldn't just lose by 50 just because your 3rd or 4th stringers are playing, that is not an excuse. I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to actually lose by that much..
Especially when those 3rd or 4th stringers are fighting for their NBA careers. The effort is disgraceful. Straight line drives to the rim, absolutely no defense. I was told by someone here who went to the raptors practice that Darko holds our guys responsible. I ain't seeing it.

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,161

Post#108 » by DelAbbot » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:20 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
TNRaps4life wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
The whining is epic! And some of them want us to fully tank next year Fun times.

Exactly. Where are the TWO people? It is okay to loose. We got a good core for next year.
TWO people don't watch the games, they spend their day complaining and refreshing tankathon. They don't even know who Malik Williams is

You come back here you little tWo bandwagon hopper
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,366

Post#109 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:20 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Blaming the coach in the middle of the most impressive tank job is just **** weird.

Arguably our two most important guys in Scottie and Jak have not played in months. RJ and IQ our next best guys also sat for weeks for personal issues. Then, we randomly sit Olynyk, Brown, and GTJ to make sure we don't win.

What NBA team wins a game missing 3-4 starters every game, as well as 1-2 key bench guys?

Be honest, do you think Darko was any better when we had our full squad? Even before the trades or after when we were fully healthy

I was not a huge fan of the way he utilized timeouts - but it all made a lot more sense when you realized we did not GAF about winning this year and it was all development.

But this year would be next to impossible to judge for any coach.

From day 1 OG/Siakam were checked out. Hard to coach a team when 2 of your 3 best guys have a foot out the door.

Then we traded OG and our entire team makeup changed and things were okay - we went 3-1, and our lone loss was 5 points in SAC

And then Poeltl got hurt and Siakam was gone - we went 2-9 over the next 11 which is understandable we had no big man depth and massive changes to our team

Then finally we got poeltl back - played .500 with like 6 new rotation players.

Scottie/Poeltl then get hurt - literally have not won a game since. Think about that. We won the first game Scottie was out, but Poellt got hurt and we have not won since.

So TLDR - to me it is so hard to judge a guy when the team goes through THAT many massive changes in the year. There were some points where we were fully healthy post-trades where I thought we actually were looking solid and the offense was humming.

We have only seen IQ/RJ/Scottie/Jak play 200-ish minutes together this year. They are a +10.8 in those minutes (AKA - good, real good).
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,161

Post#110 » by DelAbbot » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:21 pm

pilkoids wrote:This team needs a coach who was recently a player How do you'll think Lowry would work out as a head coach?

Lowry would have Casey's motivational abilities and Nurse's tactical prowess
mtcan
RealGM

Post#111 » by mtcan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:29 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:

Let's be clear...no one here is normalizing losing but given the situation at present where we are trying to keep a draft pick to draft a decent young player...it is a necessary evil.

And like I said...management is telling the coaching staff to start Malik Williams and to force feed Jordan Nwora and Jalen McDaniels minutes.

If we were trying to win...RJ, Kelly and to a lesser extent...Bruce Brown would have played last night. They are clearly not injured. If those guys play...we probably still lose but instead losing by 50 maybe we lose by 10 or 15?

If you think a team of IQ, rookie Gradey, the sucky McDaniels brother, old-ass Garrett Temple and a bunch of G Leagers are competitive against the 2nd best record in the league right now....you are delusional.

Malik Williams...less than 24 hrs from signing a 10 day contract starting against a future hall of fame defensive center tells all you need to know about what this team is trying to do.

If you don't want to see bad basketball...maybe take a break from the Raptors for the rest of the season...you really aren't missing anything. But don't hate-watch these games then come here complaining about how bad the coach is or whatever. None of what we are current watching is indicative of what the coach or the rookies can or will be next season and beyond.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,300

Post#112 » by MiamiSPX » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:38 pm

mtcan wrote:And like I said...management is telling the coaching staff to start Malik Williams and to force feed Jordan Nwora and Jalen McDaniels minutes.

This is lost on some people it seems. Darko is a rookie head coach and seemingly a "yes man". He is not calling any of the shots here, like sitting Kelly, Brown and GTJ. That is all Masai and Bobby puling the strings.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,276

Post#113 » by Chandan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:42 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
TNRaps4life wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:

mtcan wrote:If you don't want to see bad basketball...maybe take a break from the Raptors for the rest of the season...you really aren't missing anything. But don't hate-watch these games then come here complaining about how bad the coach is or whatever.

So... Should tankers watch games or not in order to appease you folks?

Personally I will continue to watch and trash talk darko because he's one of the worst coach in this league until proven otherwise.
mtcan
RealGM

Post#114 » by mtcan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:45 pm

Chandan wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:
TNRaps4life wrote:

mtcan wrote:If you don't want to see bad basketball...maybe take a break from the Raptors for the rest of the season...you really aren't missing anything. But don't hate-watch these games then come here complaining about how bad the coach is or whatever.

Personally I will continue to watch and trash talk darko because he's one of the worst coach in this league until proven otherwise.

You don't think if Darko had a choice that he would not have preferred to play RJ, Kelly and Gary?

Of course he prefers to start the 10 day contract to match up against Rudy **** Gobert.

Ya that makes him the worst coach...lol.

You clearly have an agenda against Darko but these games aren't indicative of anything. They don't support your agenda against Darko. He's a rookie coach who is being told to start G-Leaguers and end of the bench guys against the second best record in the league.
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,438

Post#115 » by ill-Will03 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:50 pm

mtcan wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:
mtcan wrote:Did you read the rest of the post? Clearly not. Nice.

Let's be clear...no one here is normalizing losing but given the situation at present where we are trying to keep a draft pick to draft a decent young player...it is a necessary evil.

And like I said...management is telling the coaching staff to start Malik Williams and to force feed Jordan Nwora and Jalen McDaniels minutes.

If we were trying to win...RJ, Kelly and to a lesser extent...Bruce Brown would have played last night. They are clearly not injured. If those guys play...we probably still lose but instead losing by 50 maybe we lose by 10 or 15?

If you think a team of IQ, rookie Gradey, the sucky McDaniels brother, old-ass Garrett Temple and a bunch of G Leagers are competitive against the 2nd best record in the league right now....you are delusional.

Malik Williams...less than 24 hrs from signing a 10 day contract starting against a future hall of fame defensive center tells all you need to know about what this team is trying to do.

If you don't want to see bad basketball...maybe take a break from the Raptors for the rest of the season...you really aren't missing anything. But don't hate-watch these games then come here complaining about how bad the coach is or whatever. None of what we are current watching is indicative of what the coach or the rookies can or will be next season and beyond.

Fair points honestly I get where you’re coming from. And I’m really not expecting us to win any games tbh. But one thing I can’t stand is lack of effort whether it’s from our scrubs or starters. That doesn’t require talent or skill. You literally just have to try. And especially for some of these players who will not be on nba rosters next season or are trying to save their careers, that should just be a given. They really shouldn’t need Darko to fire them up, they’re careers on the line should be motivation enough.

I’m definitely not judging darko on this stretch of games ofc, but I also don’t like how he is saying “it is what it is” after getting destroyed by 50. It’s pretty alarming that no one seems to care we’ve lost 15 in a row. No ones upset or saying this is unacceptable.

I have not liked the way he has coached from the jump, even when we were fully healthy. Just to many times we were unprepared for games. I’d still give him until next season to see what he can do without the distractions but I’m not holding my breath
mtcan
RealGM

Post#116 » by mtcan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:54 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:

Fair points honestly I get where you’re coming from. And I’m really not expecting us to win any games tbh. But one thing I can’t stand is lack of effort whether it’s from our scrubs or starters. That doesn’t require talent or skill. You literally just have to try. And especially for some of these players who will not be on nba rosters next season or are trying to save their careers, that should just be a given. They really shouldn’t need Darko to fire them up, they’re careers on the line should be motivation enough.

I’m definitely not judging darko on this stretch of games ofc, but I also don’t like how he is saying “it is what it is” after getting destroyed by 50. It’s pretty alarming that no one seems to care we’ve lost 15 in a row. No ones upset or saying this is unacceptable.

I have not liked the way he has coached from the jump, even when we were fully healthy. Just to many times we were unprepared for games. I’d still give him until next season to see what he can do without the distractions but I’m not holding my breath

Maybe this is the best you will get from the sucky McDaniels brother, JFL and Jordan Nwora. No degree of motivation and xs and os is going to get Malik Williams to score on Rudy Gobert or turn Jordan Nwora in Michael Jordan. It really is what it is.

Believe me...I want to rip my eyes out of the sockets when I see Jordan Nwora with the ball but I know he's probably not around next season.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:01 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
ill-Will03 wrote:

What if this season was never about preparing for the opposition but about “playing the right way.”

That isn’t how a coach prepares to win but it is how a coach develops players.

The roster never matched how Masai said he wanted the team to play, but it’s slowly getting there.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,451

Post#118 » by PushDaRock » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:07 pm

ill-Will03 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Blaming the coach in the middle of the most impressive tank job is just **** weird.

Arguably our two most important guys in Scottie and Jak have not played in months. RJ and IQ our next best guys also sat for weeks for personal issues. Then, we randomly sit Olynyk, Brown, and GTJ to make sure we don't win.

What NBA team wins a game missing 3-4 starters every game, as well as 1-2 key bench guys?

Be honest, do you think Darko was any better when we had our full squad? Even before the trades or after when we were fully healthy

You can't implement everything you want in one season especially with the kind of roster turnover we have had. I didn't agree with some of his in game decision making throughout the year but it's also his first season, giving him some time to improve seems warranted?
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,276

Post#119 » by Chandan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:08 pm

mtcan wrote:
Chandan wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:TWO people don't watch the games, they spend their day complaining and refreshing tankathon. They don't even know who Malik Williams is

You don't think if Darko had a choice that would not have preferred to play RJ, Kelly and Gary?

Of course he prefers to start the 10 day contract to match up against Rudy ducking Gobert.

You clearly have an agenda against Darko but these games aren't indicative of anything. They don't support your agenda against Darko.

I think you just have selective memories and forgot how bad darko was from the beginning leading up to all star break.

-not understanding in season tournament rules (lack of attention to details)
-forgetting to sub out the team star with 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter
-forgetting to sub in scottie in the 4th because he only has "2 timeout left"
-not knowing how to utilize one of the best defensive player in OG
-unusual man love for Dennis and lesser extend flynn
-robotic substitution pattern
-team consistently coming out flat and falling behind by 20+ point before half time
-losing to Detroit when all eyes were watching during their 23 game losing streak (we were only missing OG for that game)

All happened before major trades.

And there are other lesser things:
-not being able to motivate Bruce Brown and now his value is tanked
-Trading pizza for a win streak is more like a joke on him
-Gold chain for player of the game is corny
-while most liked the media rant but in my opinion calling out the refs like that just painted a target on the franchises back
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,366

Post#120 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:38 pm

Chandan wrote:
mtcan wrote:
Chandan wrote:

You don't think if Darko had a choice that would not have preferred to play RJ, Kelly and Gary?

Of course he prefers to start the 10 day contract to match up against Rudy ducking Gobert.

You clearly have an agenda against Darko but these games aren't indicative of anything. They don't support your agenda against Darko.

I think you just have selective memories and forgot how bad darko was from the beginning leading up to all star break.

-not understanding in season tournament rules (lack of attention to details)
-forgetting to sub out the team star with 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter
-forgetting to sub in scottie in the 4th because he only has "2 timeout left"
-not knowing how to utilize one of the best defensive player in OG
-unusual man love for Dennis and lesser extend flynn
-robotic substitution pattern
-team consistently coming out flat and falling behind by 20+ point before half time
-losing to Detroit when all eyes were watching during their 23 game losing streak (we were only missing OG for that game)

All happened before major trades.

And there are other lesser things:
-not being able to motivate Bruce Brown and now his value is tanked
-Trading pizza for a win streak is more like a joke on him
-Gold chain for player of the game is corny
-while most liked the media rant but in my opinion calling out the refs like that just painted a target on the franchises back

The fact you reusing things like "man love for Dennis" or "not understanding the in season tournament rules" (honestly - who cares) just shows you have a massive agenda to push here.

Even if those things happened before a major trade, you seem to ignore how bad OG was playing. Had nothing to do with Darko not using him, and had everything to do with him mailing it in.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023

Return to Toronto Raptors