ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Leafs/NHL Thread

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,370

Re: OT: Leafs Playoff Run 

Post#1001 » by YogurtProducer » Fri May 19, 2023 4:33 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Long overdue. Guy was in over his head. Fire whoever hired him also. What a wasted opportunity.

Leafs previous record was 105 points in a season.

Dubas over his tenure averaged 106 points.

Gonna find out real quick the grass is not always greener.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,387

Post#1002 » by ItsDanger » Fri May 19, 2023 4:34 pm

From 2 years ago, but still accurate. They canned him now before he can screw up even more. Major decisions ahead in a short period of time. From a risk standpoint, aligning everything together can be beneficial or bad.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#1003 » by ItsDanger » Fri May 19, 2023 4:36 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Leafs previous record was 105 points in a season.

He was basically given everything and failed miserably. Grass is already filled with weeds and half dying.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#1004 » by GQStylin » Fri May 19, 2023 4:37 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Long overdue. Guy was in over his head. Fire whoever hired him also. What a wasted opportunity.

Yeah lets see who his replacement is and how he does before we start celebrating about getting rid of 'the problem' that is Dubas. If the next GM can make even better moves, draft even better prospects and is able to help push the Leafs to even more playoffs success I'll be more than happy to say I'm wrong, but right now I'd much rather keep Dubas than get rid of him.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#1005 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri May 19, 2023 4:37 pm

Friedman had earlier mentioned that they had already decided to bring him back after the Tampa series, but obviously something changed.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,179

Post#1006 » by tecumseh18 » Fri May 19, 2023 4:52 pm

Not a hockey expert, but it seems like the Leafs were much better constructed this season. And Knies looks like a good one.

It's Keefe who was/is in over his head. There was all kinds of media analysis explaining how he wasn't maximizing the strengths of the roster.

But trust the Leafs to make exactly the wrong decision. What, are they gonna bring back JFJr?
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#1007 » by Inklink » Fri May 19, 2023 4:55 pm

Bobby's next if he does not get his **** together.
For lease.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#1008 » by ItsDanger » Fri May 19, 2023 4:58 pm

If you don't understand why Jason Robertson struggles in the playoffs as opposed to Roope Hintz, then you're going to be misled by the Leafs roster. Facts.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#1009 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri May 19, 2023 5:01 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:Not a hockey expert, but it seems like the Leafs were much better constructed this season. And Knies looks like a good one.

It's Keefe who was/is in over his head. There was all kinds of media analysis explaining how he wasn't maximizing the strengths of the roster.

But trust the Leafs to make exactly the wrong decision. What, are they gonna bring back JFJr?

Well, someone hired Keefe. I'll let you take a guess who that was (hint: not JFjr). This was Dubas best team yet, and it cost them a mangled cap situation and almost all the important picks over the next 3 drafts. The actual job of the next 5 years is a lot more difficult than the job of the previous 5 years, so I don't blame them if they didn't believe Dubas could fix this.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,417

Post#1010 » by JB7 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:03 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Friedman had earlier mentioned that they had already decided to bring him back after the Tampa series, but obviously something changed.

Shanahan was probably looking for any reason not to fire him, because then everything focuses on his leadership. If the next GM doesn't work out in producing better playoff results, Shanahan is out the door.

My guess is the way Shanahan saved his own job was offering up Dubas firing as the big change.

Dubas definitely needed to go, but so should Shanahan as well. He kept Dubas around way too long, and now has put the Leafs in the position they are in. Need to hire a new GM, and make a decision on Matthews, Marner and Nylander all in just over a month.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#1011 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri May 19, 2023 5:15 pm

JB7 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Friedman had earlier mentioned that they had already decided to bring him back after the Tampa series, but obviously something changed.

Shanahan was probably looking for any reason not to fire him, because then everything focuses on his leadership. If the next GM doesn't work out in producing better playoff results, Shanahan is out the door.

My guess is the way Shanahan saved his own job was offering up Dubas firing as the big change.

Dubas definitely needed to go, but so should Shanahan as well. He kept Dubas around way too long, and now has put the Leafs in the position they are in. Need to hire a new GM, and make a decision on Matthews, Marner and Nylander all in just over a month.

I'm just going off Friedman's earlier reporting, but he said that they had decided to bring him back, but then Dubas was 'taking time' on his own and that resulted in the Leafs' figuring out a plan B. They may not have liked that Dubas was weighing his own options, especially with decisions to be make re: no trade clause deadlines. Also, a big move like that makes it easier for the new guy to do nothing and claim they know how to dress the window properly.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#1012 » by ItsDanger » Fri May 19, 2023 5:22 pm

Dubas was a horrible negotiator. Leafs have 3 of the top 9 salaries years after they were initially signed. That shows Dubas just gave in to these guys constantly. Terrible.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,835

Post#1013 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:27 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who cares about regular season results when the team can't get it done in the playoffs?
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,589

Post#1014 » by Brinbe » Fri May 19, 2023 5:46 pm

surprised at the dubas decision.

i think they're headed back into a truculence/goon direction which probably won't work out too as we've seen with burkie.

leafs gotta fix the goaltending the furthest they've ever made it in the past 30 years was with potvin/cujo/belfour in goal. maybe woll is that dude? but that's the key if they ever want real playoff success. and getting good playoff goaltending at all is random as hell too.

anyway, i'm guessing they'll get some retreads and push to get bigger/tougher/grittier
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,785

Post#1015 » by Badonkadonk » Fri May 19, 2023 5:46 pm

Bad move. Kyle had cracked the code the past couple of seasons, the only real thing I'll fault him with is trusting Keefe for too long.

The NHL playoffs are fundamentally broken and Dubas is paying the price for randomness and an oversaturated Toronto hockey media-market that fosters this "pressure" resulting in change for the sake of change.

Typical Leafs in many ways.
JB7
Analyst

Post#1016 » by JB7 » Fri May 19, 2023 5:59 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who cares about regular season results when the team can't get it done in the playoffs?

Exactly. All they needed was 92 pts this year to be in almost the exact same situation. Playing Tampa in the 1st round. Only difference is they would not have had home ice advantage, and that didn't matter at all this year.

I would rather they get 90ish points, make the playoffs and then win a round or two each year, and build towards longer runs in the playoffs.
JB7
Analyst

Post#1017 » by JB7 » Fri May 19, 2023 6:06 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Bad move. Kyle had cracked the code the past couple of seasons, the only real thing I'll fault him with is trusting Keefe for too long.

The NHL playoffs are fundamentally broken and Dubas is paying the price for randomness and an oversaturated Toronto hockey media-market that fosters this "pressure" resulting in change for the sake of change.

Typical Leafs in many ways.

Cracked what code? That is team building approach was flawed... You can't fill a roster with puck moving players that are afraid of contact.

All of his last minute trades (acquiring bigger/tougher/grittier players) were to work in the exact opposite direction of how he originally built the team.

In his last few deals he acquired, Schenn, O'Reilly, McCabe, Lafferty and Acciari, and he moved out Sandin and Engvall to acquire picks to replace some of the picks he traded to acquire the grit.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#1018 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri May 19, 2023 6:09 pm

Brinbe wrote:surprised at the dubas decision.

i think they're headed back into a truculence/goon direction which probably won't work out too as we've seen with burkie.

leafs gotta fix the goaltending the furthest they've ever made it in the past 30 years was with potvin/cujo/belfour in goal. maybe woll is that dude? but that's the key if they ever want real playoff success. and getting good playoff goaltending at all is random as hell too.

anyway, i'm guessing they'll get some retreads and push to get bigger/tougher/grittier

Burke's worst move was the S&T for Kessell off the bat. There was maybe one truculence move that was a bust (Komisarek), but Phaneuf was dirt cheap.

Dubas trading Kadri for Kerfoot/Barrie was what wasn't working for the Leafs.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,987
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#1019 » by will » Fri May 19, 2023 6:11 pm

Hoo man.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,589

Post#1020 » by Brinbe » Fri May 19, 2023 6:33 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Brinbe wrote:surprised at the dubas decision.

Burke's worst move was the S&T for Kessell off the bat. There was maybe one truculence move that was a bust (Komisarek), but Phaneuf was dirt cheap.

Dubas trading Kadri for Kerfoot/Barrie was what wasn't working for the Leafs.

Not as if he traded Naz for no reason. The entire Kadri situation was unfortunate though as that was the supporting guy they've been missing since he left.

Anyway, my point was that it doesn't matter what style of play they follow if the goaltending isn't up to scratch.

Return to Toronto Raptors