ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Poeltl be traded?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Will Poeltl be traded?

Poll ended at Thu May 16, 2024 1:52 pm

I hope so
44%
I hope not
56%

Total votes: 124

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Re: Will Poeltl be traded? 

Post#121 » by Scase » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Oddly enough, him chasing the playoffs with Westbrook and taking a chance on trading for PG was his most important moves. He got bailed out by getting SGA. No team other than the Clippers makes that trade. There were more people questioning whether he was washed than are doing so about Masai today believe it or not, until that trade was forced on him.

They’re in good position right now but have a bit of a cap hell approaching them - SGA, Chet and JWill will all be on the max in 2 years. He also needs to consolidate his picks asap because he’s literally run out of roster spots. Masai needs to go there and get a ‘25 pick, especially if we don’t convey this year.

We're all always saying how important luck is, this for sure fits the bill. But he pushed for SGA, so I think the luck comes from the Clips being dumb lol.

As for this cap hell issue, that is a great problem to have. I would rather have multiple players that deserve to be maxed, rather than being forced into maxing one that shouldn't. Especially while being the 1st seed in the west.

But yeah, I'm hoping masai can send them Jak and steal a pick or two away, it would really accelerate the build.

I forgot where I heard/read this but apparently, the Clippers thought if they didn't get Kawhi, he was going to the Lakers - which in their opinion would have kept them forever irrelevant in LA. So not only was SGA for PG the cost of getting Kawhi, it was also the cost of saving their franchise in their minds. So given the chance to re-do the deal, they still do it 100 times out of 100 because the ramifications of losing the star to the Lakers at that moment in time was devastating.

And who's there to benefit? Prestie.

I was really hoping the Warriors, Cavs or Sacramento would face a similar existential crisis which would bring them to the table for Siakam. Unfortunately, it the Warriors and Kings (and probably Cavs in a few weeks) are now facing this crisis 4 months later than we needed it to. If we had Pascal under contract this off-season, I'm pretty positive we get a better return. If this rebuild doesn't go well, we might point to how underwhelming the Pascal trade was as the reason why.

That's a good point about the Clips, it never seemed like him going to the Lakers was realistic, but I can see the reasoning from the Clips no matter what.

As for the Siakam situation, I don't think that was ever going to happen. Teams will not bend over backwards for a second rate star, so I doubt it changes much. If anything holding onto him too long, and all the cascading effects it had, will be one of the main reasons a rebuild might fail.
Props TZ!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#122 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:55 pm

Scase wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
When are some of you going to figure out that the team plays in Toronto and they have to make deals more player friendly simply because it is Toronto, and that they don't have the same options available to them as Miami, New York, LA, Dallas, etc. for every player.

I think we keep it simple. What we do with Poetl is not shop him around rather we ask ourselves what would we like and who we like who could have an impact on both sides of a trade and on the floor. No picks involved. Dallas only has young Lively and Luka is desperate for an improved starting cast. Enter Poetl. He is much better positioned to play 30 mins and mentor Lively than go to the Pels or whomever we could invent as outside contenders. Dallas has the true core piece to be a contender. Poetl plays up tempo and is not a high mileage player. All I ask for is PJ Washing to fill the void at power foward in our starting five. No fuss and no muss. Poetl is proven to impact winning and he would make them much stronger down low. We would get the everyman consumate role player with a motor at age 25.

I'm sorry PF void in our SL? Are you saying that you want Scottie playing the 3? PJ is 26 by the start of next season, and will be a UFA at 28 years old, I do not see how this helps the team moving forward at all. The purpose of going after picks is getting salary control and value, all while picking exactly what you want for your team.

I'm sorry but this is just a trade that helps the mavs way more than us.

We got more picks than we know what to do with. I only trade Poetl for tangible value if we convey and are back in the lotto next season . That's it. This not some massive tear down rather it is an attempt to pick high out of everything accumulated so far. if... if afforded the luck or the luxury to do so. If we keep our pick we hang onto Poetl for dear life.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,227

Post#123 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:20 pm

Scase wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:We're all always saying how important luck is, this for sure fits the bill. But he pushed for SGA, so I think the luck comes from the Clips being dumb lol.

As for this cap hell issue, that is a great problem to have. I would rather have multiple players that deserve to be maxed, rather than being forced into maxing one that shouldn't. Especially while being the 1st seed in the west.

But yeah, I'm hoping masai can send them Jak and steal a pick or two away, it would really accelerate the build.

I forgot where I heard/read this but apparently, the Clippers thought if they didn't get Kawhi, he was going to the Lakers - which in their opinion would have kept them forever irrelevant in LA. So not only was SGA for PG the cost of getting Kawhi, it was also the cost of saving their franchise in their minds. So given the chance to re-do the deal, they still do it 100 times out of 100 because the ramifications of losing the star to the Lakers at that moment in time was devastating.

And who's there to benefit? Prestie.

I was really hoping the Warriors, Cavs or Sacramento would face a similar existential crisis which would bring them to the table for Siakam. Unfortunately, it the Warriors and Kings (and probably Cavs in a few weeks) are now facing this crisis 4 months later than we needed it to. If we had Pascal under contract this off-season, I'm pretty positive we get a better return. If this rebuild doesn't go well, we might point to how underwhelming the Pascal trade was as the reason why.

That's a good point about the Clips, it never seemed like him going to the Lakers was realistic, but I can see the reasoning from the Clips no matter what.

As for the Siakam situation, I don't think that was ever going to happen. Teams will not bend over backwards for a second rate star, so I doubt it changes much. If anything holding onto him too long, and all the cascading effects it had, will be one of the main reasons a rebuild might fail.

They didn't want to trade Siakam as much as they were forced to. They had to find out what they were going to get for OG before moving Siakam because it could have went very different than RJ/IQ and that could really change what the type of asset you ask for when trading Siakam. They could never have moved Siakam before they moved OG without taking away their every option and without taking away any leverage they had, because OG was flat out worth more just because he's younger and was still paid peanuts.

People wanted to get that value for Siakam, you would have had to trade him in 2020, which is why this two years stuff is pretty much idiocy.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#124 » by Scase » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:17 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Scase wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
I think we keep it simple. What we do with Poetl is not shop him around rather we ask ourselves what would we like and who we like who could have an impact on both sides of a trade and on the floor. No picks involved. Dallas only has young Lively and Luka is desperate for an improved starting cast. Enter Poetl. He is much better positioned to play 30 mins and mentor Lively than go to the Pels or whomever we could invent as outside contenders. Dallas has the true core piece to be a contender. Poetl plays up tempo and is not a high mileage player. All I ask for is PJ Washing to fill the void at power foward in our starting five. No fuss and no muss. Poetl is proven to impact winning and he would make them much stronger down low. We would get the everyman consumate role player with a motor at age 25.

I'm sorry PF void in our SL? Are you saying that you want Scottie playing the 3? PJ is 26 by the start of next season, and will be a UFA at 28 years old, I do not see how this helps the team moving forward at all. The purpose of going after picks is getting salary control and value, all while picking exactly what you want for your team.

We got more picks than we know what to do with. I only trade Poetl for tangible value if we convey and are back in the lotto next season . That's it. This not some massive tear down rather it is an attempt to pick high out of everything accumulated so far. if... if afforded the luck or the luxury to do so. If we keep our pick we hang onto Poetl for dear life.

We have more picks than we know what to do with? What lol?

We have a team that is arguably 4 or 5 players deep, we need as many picks as we can get. We also have a bunch (debatable if we convey) in a bad draft. That's like saying you have a "lot" of money because you have 1000 pennies, vs only having 5 1000$ bills.

Best case scenario this year we have 3 picks, which is 1 more than a usual year. Worst case scenario next year we have 2 picks, which is no more than a usual year.
Best case scenario next year we have 1 pick, which is 1 less than a usual year. Worst case scenario next year we have 0 picks, which is 2 less than a usual year.
Best case scenario in 2026 we have 3 picks, which is 1 more than a usual year. Worst case scenario in 2026 we have 2 picks, which is no more than a usual year.

So in that same time span you would normally have 6 picks, and based on the trades we'll likely end up with....6 picks. How is this "more than we know what to do with"?
Props TZ!
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,822

Post#125 » by ConSarnit » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:19 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Scase wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

How do we have more picks that we know what to do with? Over the next 3 drafts we’re going to have 4 1sts. We have 2 2nds over that time. 6 picks over 3 drafts seems like a pretty standard number to me.

If we trade Poeltl for PJ Washington we need to fire some people. Washington is extremely mediocre.

Return to Toronto Raptors