ImageImageImageImageImage

Larry T's Co bidding for WNBA team?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,179

Re: Larry T's Co bidding for WNBA team? 

Post#141 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:27 pm

JB7 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
JB7 wrote:
The biggest advantage the women’s side probably has over the men’s side is the fact that these women are spending four years in college, learning the game and developing there, while also building up a name for themselves and following at the college level and national level through the national championship, that can carryover to the WNBA.

More grassroots and development focused.

Compared to the men’s side, where they are all just rushing to the NBA, unprepared for the game, and struggle to live up to the hype based on draft ranking.

I agree the interest in, and quality of, the men's game has been hurt by the transfer portal, NIL, and 1 and done. But I still wonder if the popularity of the women's college game will last or was it a 1-2 year phenomenon based on the unique appeal of Caitlin Clark.

I know I will make a point to watch some of her WNBA games where I usually can't watch more than a few minutes.

Losing CC will hurt, but they are doing so well marketing the women's college game, and it is just easier because they have talent around longer for viewers to get attached too. They'll find another CC to market.

The NIL might actually help the men's game, if it brings players back to college, and possibly becomes a reason for them to stay a bit longer, because they have more ability to profit off their name at that level vs having a limited impact an NBA team.

It certainly helps that the Final Four games were competitive, with multiple star players - not just CC. Her teammate Hannah Stuelke was pretty good. Other women were making their shots. Moving screen aside, our girl Aaliyah Edwards was clearly an impact player. And Cardoso - man it would have been tempting to draft her #1.

No-one could come away from watching them and say "Nope, never watching women's basketball again". There may not be another CC on the horizon - or maybe Paige is that - but the sport will be taken seriously.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,417

Post#142 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
JB7 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
I agree the interest in, and quality of, the men's game has been hurt by the transfer portal, NIL, and 1 and done. But I still wonder if the popularity of the women's college game will last or was it a 1-2 year phenomenon based on the unique appeal of Caitlin Clark.

I know I will make a point to watch some of her WNBA games where I usually can't watch more than a few minutes.

Losing CC will hurt, but they are doing so well marketing the women's college game, and it is just easier because they have talent around longer for viewers to get attached too. They'll find another CC to market.

The NIL might actually help the men's game, if it brings players back to college, and possibly becomes a reason for them to stay a bit longer, because they have more ability to profit off their name at that level vs having a limited impact an NBA team.

It certainly helps that the Final Four games were competitive, with multiple star players - not just CC. Her teammate Hannah Stuelke was pretty good. Other women were making their shots. Moving screen aside, our girl Aaliyah Edwards was clearly an impact player. And Cardoso - man it would have been tempting to draft her #1.

No-one could come away from watching them and say "Nope, never watching women's basketball again". There may not be another CC on the horizon - or maybe Paige is that - but the sport will be taken seriously.

Yes, this year's Final Four had a lot of talent at its peak, which drew a lot of interest. Evident by the draft this year where even Angel Reese went 7th overall. But much like the men's side, there will be other talent that comes along, like Ju Ju.

Again, my original point was because the women stay longer at the college level (because the financial incentives to jump are not as great yet), it actually helps the overall level of play and their development.

Too bad the men's side doesn't figure this out.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,119

Post#143 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:46 pm

JB7 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Yes, this year's Final Four had a lot of talent at its peak, which drew a lot of interest. Evident by the draft this year where even Angel Reese went 7th overall. But much like the men's side, there will be other talent that comes along, like Ju Ju.

Again, my original point was because the women stay longer at the college level (because the financial incentives to jump are not as great yet), it actually helps the overall level of play and their development.

How can the men's side figure it out when the lure of the NBA is there? Women's basketball is different because the WNBA pays so much less, so there's greater incentive to stay in college.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,119

Post#144 » by WaltFrazier » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
JB7 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

I think you have to distinguish between basketball aficionados and a wider audience. I didn't follow the college game much but having watched this year, mostly because of Caitlin tbh, I see it's entertaining basketball and I'll watch again. But I consider myself a hoops fan. I think there was a larger audience this year because of Caitlin mania and they won't all come back. You're not wrong, I'm sure new fans were created this year, but it's a matter of degree.

And I'm just speculating here.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,417

Post#145 » by JB7 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
JB7 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

How can the men's side figure it out when the lure of the NBA is there? Women's basketball is different because the WNBA pays so much less, so there's greater incentive to stay in college.

The college game is making a ton off the tv rights. Maybe the colleges share a bit more money with the players, to keep them around a bit longer. Better for their development leading a college team, than keeping the bench warm on an NBA team. I'm not saying they stay for the full 4 years. Just 2-3 years.

Return to Toronto Raptors