ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,892

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#1741 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 8, 2024 2:04 pm

Moving up 8 spots isn't worth taking on Lonzo's dead money.

Maybe moving from 31 to 11 might be worth it.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,935

Post#1742 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 8, 2024 2:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,398

Post#1743 » by Dalek » Wed May 8, 2024 2:11 pm

Topic with Jovic - the height difference. Topic is around 6'8" like Luka, but it is a lot of neck. He is oddly proportioned but the height is comparably to Luka.

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1744 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 8, 2024 2:22 pm

I really like Jamir Watkins at 31 if hes there but got a feeling he will be a 1st rounder
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,782

Post#1745 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Wed May 8, 2024 2:36 pm

Topic's listed height will probably be 6'6 which is fine. He could be like 6'4.75 w/o shoes. Anything more than that is a bonus. Even if he were 6'5 in shoes that would have been fine as well.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1746 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 8, 2024 2:39 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:Topic's listed height will probably be 6'6 which is fine. He could be like 6'4.75 w/o shoes. Anything more than that is a bonus. Even if he were 6'5 in shoes that would have been fine as well.

Based on that picture I know Jovic is leaning but gotta be 6'7" with shoes
REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#1747 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Wed May 8, 2024 2:45 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:Topic's listed height will probably be 6'6 which is fine. He could be like 6'4.75 w/o shoes. Anything more than that is a bonus. Even if he were 6'5 in shoes that would have been fine as well.

Based on that picture I know Jovic is leaning but gotta be 6'7" with shoes

I have my suspicions about that picture but if he's 6'6 w/o shoes I'd be very pleasantly surprised. There are so many smear campaigns regarding Topic suggesting he's a lot smaller than claimed. This video is hilarious too, the guy probably saw the google image of Topic with a troll smile wearing braces and based his entire judgment of Topic on a picture of him lol

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,322

Post#1748 » by God Squad » Wed May 8, 2024 2:46 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Topic's height is all neck. How functional it'll end up will be determined.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,817

Post#1749 » by Fairview4Life » Wed May 8, 2024 3:12 pm

God Squad wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Worked out well for us for a few years in the past.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,939

Post#1750 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 8, 2024 3:22 pm

God Squad wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

That neck helps push his eyes up over the defense :wink:
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1751 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 8, 2024 3:23 pm

added 10-15lbs of neck
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,824

Post#1752 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 8, 2024 3:27 pm

Despite the height Topic is #2 on my board, even if he’s 6’4”
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#1753 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 8, 2024 3:33 pm

Read on Twitter

6. Toronto Raptors (Raptors if 1-6, otherwise conveys to San Antonio) | Average pick: 5.5
No. 1 pick odds: 9.0% | Top-three pick odds: 27.6%

If they land in the top four, they should pick ...

1. Alex Sarr

2. Zaccharie Risacher

3. Donovan Clingan

4. Matas Buzelis

Most likely pick if they stay at 6: Matas Buzelis | SF
The Raptors will be sweating out draft night, as they'll convey this pick to San Antonio if they get leapfrogged by any team slated behind them in the odds (giving them a 45.8% chance of keeping it).

Toronto continues to rebuild around wing Scottie Barnes and should be angling to re-sign restricted free agent point guard Immanuel Quickley. They traded for RJ Barrett on a long-term deal and selected wing shooter Gradey Dick in last year's draft. It would make sense for the Raptors to eye frontcourt help with this pick, preferably a prospect who can help space the floor for Barnes while allowing them to field sufficient size on the defensive end.

Sarr fits that criteria pretty well, with stretch potential and defensive switchability that isn't always easy to come by. Risacher would present a long-term wing upgrade, presuming his shooting develops to space the floor at a high level. Clingan's size and toughness could appeal to the Raptors as a defensive anchor.

Buzelis is also a consideration, as he'd give Toronto additional size, skill and versatility at forward. There's not necessarily a perfect fit, and the Raptors might want more of a physical presence, but he could slot in nicely next to Barnes long term. -- Woo

REJECTEDBYCLARK
Lead Assistant

Post#1754 » by REJECTEDBYCLARK » Wed May 8, 2024 4:12 pm

I have many questions about Sarr's fit on any team. IMO he's not a 5 because he gets bullied inside, questionable positional rebounding/boxing out and just doesn't finish strong inside. He has even admitted he doesn't want to gain weight in order to maintain his mobility and clearly views himself as some kind of finesse player. If a team plays him at 5 they're going to give up possessions on the glass and be hard pressed to establish an inside game on offense while also being able to exploit him w/ traditional 5's w/ effective post games. If he's a 4 whose offense doesn't come around mightily and I don't believe he'll ever be good on that end, you're basically forced to find a 5 capable of stretching the floor and possessing a very specific skillset to offset his weaknesses with the lone advantage of his perimeter defense and weakside rim protection or you'll be stuck with a Mobley-Allen situation. Does he really possess the motor and feel that would make him a 98th percentile defender worth heavily modifying your roster construction for if he's just a 4 with crap offense.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#1755 » by Ell Curry » Wed May 8, 2024 4:26 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Moving up 8 spots isn't worth taking on Lonzo's dead money.

If the pick conveys to the Spurs I think it is. We'd have #11 in this draft and easier to tank with Lonzo's dead money and a #11 pick in a weak draft in the rotation than without, and we're miles away from having the talent to contend. This could improve our pick in the first round in 2 years, that's great value compared to say taking on Bagley's deal of 12M and getting 2 seconds and maybe getting a third 2nd rounder or late first with the other 8M.
Where's the D?
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#1756 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 8, 2024 4:33 pm

Ell Curry wrote:

If the pick conveys to the Spurs I think it is. We'd have #11 in this draft and easier to tank with Lonzo's dead money and a #11 pick in a weak draft in the rotation than without, and we're miles away from having the talent to contend. This could improve our pick in the first round in 2 years, that's great value compared to say taking on Bagley's deal of 12M and getting 2 seconds and maybe getting a third 2nd rounder or late first with the other 8M.

I don't think the talent disparity is all that great between 11 and 19 though. You will get a similar level prospect imo.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,184

Post#1757 » by billy_hoyle » Wed May 8, 2024 4:37 pm

REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:I have many questions about Sarr's fit on any team. IMO he's not a 5 because he gets bullied inside, questionable positional rebounding/boxing out and just doesn't finish strong inside. He has even admitted he doesn't want to gain weight in order to maintain his mobility and clearly views himself as some kind of finesse player. If a team plays him at 5 they're going to give up possessions on the glass and be hard pressed to establish an inside game on offense while also being able to exploit him w/ traditional 5's w/ effective post games. If he's a 4 whose offense doesn't come around mightily and I don't believe he'll ever be good on that end, you're basically forced to find a 5 capable of stretching the floor and possessing a very specific skillset to offset his weaknesses with the lone advantage of his perimeter defense and weakside rim protection or you'll be stuck with a Mobley-Allen situation. Does he really possess the motor and feel that would make him a 98th percentile defender worth heavily modifying your roster construction for if he's just a 4 with crap offense.

Do we need to 'heavily' modify our line-up tho?

Pick up a bruising/rebounding forward ( ala Zbo/Artest/Milsap).

Barnes is an above average rebounder. RJ at the 2 is a good rebounder, IQ at the 1 is a good rebounder. If we pick up Devin Carter at 19 we'd continue our good rebounding guard trend.

Obviously if he's playing next to Yak or KO we'd have plenty of size.

I think we are actually well equipped to integrate a guy like Sarr. Basically Barnes being so good at rebounding allows us to grab a 'softer - finess' big
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 627

Post#1758 » by grant101 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:39 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:

I don't think the talent disparity is all that great between 11 and 19 though. You will get a similar level prospect imo.

If I were to do it, it would be for one of the guards (collier, Carter, McCain), none of whom are likely to be there at 19
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,434

Post#1759 » by ItsDanger » Wed May 8, 2024 4:44 pm

This management isn't active in moving up or down on draft day which is a mistake if there are options available to improve assets in long run. Just waiting to make a selection based on what's remaining on your draft ranking is not maximizing potential.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,705

Post#1760 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:57 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
REJECTEDBYCLARK wrote:I have many questions about Sarr's fit on any team. IMO he's not a 5 because he gets bullied inside, questionable positional rebounding/boxing out and just doesn't finish strong inside. He has even admitted he doesn't want to gain weight in order to maintain his mobility and clearly views himself as some kind of finesse player. If a team plays him at 5 they're going to give up possessions on the glass and be hard pressed to establish an inside game on offense while also being able to exploit him w/ traditional 5's w/ effective post games. If he's a 4 whose offense doesn't come around mightily and I don't believe he'll ever be good on that end, you're basically forced to find a 5 capable of stretching the floor and possessing a very specific skillset to offset his weaknesses with the lone advantage of his perimeter defense and weakside rim protection or you'll be stuck with a Mobley-Allen situation. Does he really possess the motor and feel that would make him a 98th percentile defender worth heavily modifying your roster construction for if he's just a 4 with crap offense.

Do we need to 'heavily' modify our line-up tho?

Pick up a bruising/rebounding forward ( ala Zbo/Artest/Milsap).

Barnes is an above average rebounder. RJ at the 2 is a good rebounder, IQ at the 1 is a good rebounder. If we pick up Devin Carter at 19 we'd continue our good rebounding guard trend.

Obviously if he's playing next to Yak or KO we'd have plenty of size.

I think we are actually well equipped to integrate a guy like Sarr. Basically Barnes being so good at rebounding allows us to grab a 'softer - finess' big

Okc finished first in the west starting a 200 pound Chet and a 6'5 Jalen Williams. It's all about team schemes and how you make things work for the advantage of your players skills

Return to Toronto Raptors