ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Re: 2024 Playoffs Discussion Thread 

Post#1741 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 6:03 am

Los_29 wrote:This whole time I thought those secret chat rooms were a joke. The fact they actually exist is hilarious.

I knew they were real. There were several posters who just gave up long before duffman restored order. I didn't care as much back then because I wasn't active here.

They took out a whole bunch of great posters who contributed to good ball talk.

These speakable nerds used to collude in harassing ppl and coordinating attempts to bait other posters into strategic dialogue.

Most of them have changed their user names. Chandan, for one, should be banned for his conduct on these boards.

Scase is clearly also a member of that group that is operating under a different user name.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,987

Post#1742 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:09 am

mdenny wrote:
Los_29 wrote:This whole time I thought those secret chat rooms were a joke. The fact they actually exist is hilarious.

I knew they were real. There were several posters who just gave up long before duffman restored order. I didn't care as much back then because I wasn't active here.

Yeah it was a weird time for sure. It makes sense though because it seemed like a group of posters were continually posting the same things. Almost as if they were rehearsed. Really odd stuff.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#1743 » by mdenny » Sat May 11, 2024 6:16 am

Los_29 wrote:
mdenny wrote:

Yeah it was a weird time for sure. It makes sense though because it seemed like a group of posters were continually posting the same things. Almost as if they were rehearsed. Really odd stuff.

I respect your sustainability. Very few ppl can withstand coordinated attacks. So many great posters just fell out which is not a critique of them. Not everyone cares enough to withstand one hundred nerds attacking them.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,232

Post#1744 » by HumbleRen » Sat May 11, 2024 7:05 am

I don’t think OG is returning for this series unfortunately.

I’m not sure how sustainable Donte being the third best scorer in the series after Hali and Brunson is.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,273

Post#1745 » by MiamiSPX » Sat May 11, 2024 1:27 pm

HumbleRen wrote:I don’t think OG is returning for this series unfortunately.

I don't think so either. Woj doubled down on the panel last night and said he's definitely out for GM4. That's the 2nd time he's said that, even though the team hasn't. I suspect he knows something that the team is keeping under wraps.

I hate to say it but I could see the Knicks fans turning on him by year 2 or 3, just like the Clips fans have on Kawhi.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,099

Post#1746 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 2:13 pm

mdenny wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
mdenny wrote:

It may be true that you don't surf Twitter and reddit. But you definitely put all your stock in what the realgm casual squad was saying. And they were the product of twitter and reddit and the secret collusional chat rooms associated with this board.

I make my own observations.

There were irrational Fred haters here sure. I always put myself down the spectrum as a Fred critic. When I thought he wasn't playing well. And his style just wasn't enjoyable to me. He's gone now by the way.

Those secret chat rooms, which one poster invited me to and I said no, sure were terrible though weren't they? What damage they did.

In case you miss my sarcasm, my real point is that a bunch of posters in a private chat room where you don't know what's being said, had no impact on my life or yours. Interesting you still think about them though, I'd forgotten till now.

Number of star players that OG has shut down in nba playoffs = zero

How long we gonna wait for that until 10 points/3 rebounds per game is unacceptable?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/og-anunoby-proves-vital-in-slowing-down-joel-embiid-during-knicks-win/ar-AA1nPdO6?ocid=BingNewsSerp
Game 4 vs Sixers:
He played 23 games for them in the regular season. The Knicks won 20 of them.

That wasn’t a coincidence. It wasn’t an accident.

And that record is now 23-4, and while Jalen Brunson’s exquisite 47-point outburst will get most of the attaboys, Anunoby was every bit as vital.

He scored 16 points. He grabbed 14 rebounds. He blocked three shots.

And he played a brand of suffocating fourth-quarter defense on Joel Embiid that allowed the Knicks to sneak out of town with a two-game Philly split, a 97-92 win and a 3-1 lead in games in this best-of-seven....
Anunoby, for one, takes fierce pride not only in being a ferocious defender, but a versatile one.

He’s 6-foot-7, 240 pounds. He shouldn’t be able to play Embiid to a draw. But he played Embiid to as close to a draw as you can.

There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1747 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 2:18 pm

OG and the rest of the team did a pretty good job on Tatum. Although Miami did an even better job on him in the ECF. OG really hasn’t had enough playoff experience to answer that question though. OG isn’t good enough to shut down a franchise player. No one is, but he’s good enough to slow them down. And if he can do that and hit 3s, not try to do too much offensively then he’s a great player.

WaltFrazier wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
This article seems to say he got an infection during or after the appendectomy. I don't know the details of that or those quarterbacks. I do recall from my young son having one years ago, about age 8, it makes a huge difference if they take it out before it "bursts". My son had that and he was quite sick in hospital and had a much longer recovery. (He was fine after it was over)

https://www.raptorshq.com/2019/7/12/20689341/toronto-raptors-2018-19-player-review-og-anunoby-lost-season

Edit - infection seems to be a big factor after the appendectomy:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-feb-28-sp-31303-story.html

That changes things then. Didn’t know he had an infection.

What's hilarious and laughable is mdenny's childish reaction to some "secret" chat. As if it's some big expose he's discovered. BTW singular not plural to my knowledge.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#1748 » by WaltFrazier » Sat May 11, 2024 2:21 pm

mdenny wrote:

These speakable nerds used to collude in harassing ppl and coordinating attempts to bait other posters into strategic dialogue.

Most of them have changed their user names. Chandan, for one, should be banned for his conduct on these boards.

Scase is clearly also a member of that group that is operating under a different user name.

Seems like backseat moderating. But then me saying that is probably backseat moderating. Yikes. :lol: I can't believe adults are having a discussion about secret rooms and conspiracies on a basketball board.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1749 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:44 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

OG and the rest of the team did a pretty good job on Tatum. Although Miami did an even better job on him in the ECF. OG really hasn’t had enough playoff experience to answer that question though. OG isn’t good enough to shut down a franchise player. No one is, but he’s good enough to slow them down. And if he can do that and hit 3s, not try to do too much offensively then he’s a great player.

WaltFrazier wrote:

Edit - infection seems to be a big factor after the appendectomy:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-feb-28-sp-31303-story.html

That changes things then. Didn’t know he had an infection.

What's hilarious and laughable is mdenny's childish reaction to some "secret" chat. As if it's some big expose he's discovered. BTW singular not plural to my knowledge.

I’m just laughing at the fact they actually had one.
Los_29
RealGM

Post#1750 » by Los_29 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:02 pm

Really enjoying this 2nd round thus far. Very interested to see how the Cavs play on their home court.

I think when all things are equal the Mavs are better than OKC. I think the Mavs take this series.

Nuggets made it a series and looked phenomenal. Minnesota needs to win game 4 or else I think they’ll lose the series.

I don’t see Donte keeping this shooting up. The Knicks shot 51% from three and still lost. Pacers gotta feel good about that. Worried about OG’s injury. That looks like an injury that can linger and take time to heal.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,670

Post#1751 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat May 11, 2024 4:41 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:I don’t think OG is returning for this series unfortunately.

I don't think so either. Woj doubled down on the panel last night and said he's definitely out for GM4. That's the 2nd time he's said that, even though the team hasn't. I suspect he knows something that the team is keeping under wraps.

I hate to say it but I could see the Knicks fans turning on him by year 2 or 3, just like the Clips fans have on Kawhi.

It’s definitely going to happen. OG is too injury prone and unreliable. He’s also getting a new big contract which will heighten fan expectations.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#1752 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 11, 2024 4:47 pm

I don't think Minny is winning the title.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,666

Post#1753 » by djsunyc » Sat May 11, 2024 6:12 pm

Los_29 wrote:Really enjoying this 2nd round thus far. Very interested to see how the Cavs play on their home court.

I think when all things are equal the Mavs are better than OKC. I think the Mavs take this series.

Nuggets made it a series and looked phenomenal. Minnesota needs to win game 4 or else I think they’ll lose the series.

I don’t see Donte keeping this shooting up. The Knicks shot 51% from three and still lost. Pacers gotta feel good about that. Worried about OG’s injury. That looks like an injury that can linger and take time to heal.

i'm loving this new nba. any team can get to the finals and win. alot more reliance on chemistry and luck in terms of getting to this point in the season. there's no telling what works and what won't anymore and going from bad to good can happen rather quickly, and vice versa.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,265

Post#1754 » by sidsid » Sat May 11, 2024 7:50 pm

Giddy is killing the Thunder. They made the adjustment last game to not start him in the 3rd, and now making the mistake to start him again.

This is like Nurse with Gasol on Embiid. The problem is obvious and the coaching is actively hurting the team, especially when you have like 4 options to go to.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#1755 » by ForeverTFC » Sat May 11, 2024 7:59 pm

OKC definitely needs a C. I think they’ll go after Jarrett Allen though.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,284

Post#1756 » by TorontoBarneys » Sat May 11, 2024 8:11 pm

What is up with these playoffs and several role players looking absolutely star-studded? PJ Washington killing it.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,588

Post#1757 » by Brinbe » Sat May 11, 2024 8:27 pm

mavs exploiting that thunder lack of size so far. pj washington feasting and they're getting tons of offensive boards to make up for the poor shooting from luka and others
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,265

Post#1758 » by sidsid » Sat May 11, 2024 8:35 pm

sidsid wrote:Giddy is killing the Thunder. They made the adjustment last game to not start him in the 3rd, and now making the mistake to start him again.

This is like Nurse with Gasol on Embiid. The problem is obvious and the coaching is actively hurting the team, especially when you have like 4 options to go to.

They now have Giddy in the dunkers spot. He is Ben Simmons'ing right in front of our eyes.
Brinbe
RealGM

Post#1759 » by Brinbe » Sat May 11, 2024 9:15 pm

anyone that says rebounding doesn't matter is an idiot
Brinbe
RealGM

Post#1760 » by Brinbe » Sat May 11, 2024 9:19 pm

damn, jwill hurt