ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,616

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1921 » by JRoy » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:01 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
Who were the others? I'm foggy on the details now, it's coming up on 20 yrs.

I remember Aldridge being the guy near the end of the college season. Gay was the front runner to start (like a Harrison Barnes). Bargs only got mentioned close to the draft because Colangelo telegraphed the pick, right?

I seem to remember it the same, though don’t remember much hype about Bargnani.

POR fan, had the worst record in team history and the league that year and ended up with the worst outcome (4th pick). Moved that pick and Russian scrubs for Aldridge (taken at 2nd pick), ate Raef Lafrentz but got the 7th pick from BOS, drafted Foye and immediately traded Foye to MIN for Roy.

Me and 6 year old daughter were literally chanting “Roy, Roy, Roy”

Yeah, that was a great GMing for Portland. Getting the #7 for Sebastian f'n Telfair was amazing.

Roy might have gone #1, but for injury concerns. So maybe his career arc was inevitable.

OTOH Portland has the worst reputation for diagnosing and managing injuries (won't mention what happened the next draft). But do you, or the Blazer fanbase, think that Roy's knee could have been better treated, which would have allowed him to have a normal career. And, on second thought, I'll ask the same about Oden.

I remember someone saying on draft night that Roy would be out of the league in 4 years and he was just about right. Damn shame, he was a Hall of Fame talent.

Oden is a different case. One leg was shorter than the other and a short career due to injuries was likely inevitable.

Funny coincidence, we happened to be in Ohio visiting my wife’s grandma that year and one of my wife’s cousins was a nurse at Ohio State. When I mentioned Oden she said his body wouldn’t handle the nba and she was right.

Part of the problem might have been too much strength training in POR when maybe something like yoga might have been better.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#1922 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:53 pm

Dalek wrote:
niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I was about to post this. I really like this kid. It would be cool to have another Canadian kid as a Raptor, especially one who has his type of flare playing the game. He is 6'3 but he uses his flexibility and balance to bend around defenders to finish well and hunt out passes.

Imagine drafting two Chinese Canadian kids in one draft. How cool would that be?

I really like him as a scoring guard. My concern is we don't have any picks where he would be drafted, later in the second, and where does he fit with IQ and Barret. As a back-up PG is he better potentially than Freeman? I think so. Would like to see his length. looks like he has a good wingspan. Really good scorer. Strong in the PnR. He could play with Scottie B. with his shooting. I was blah on Banton when we drafted him, I like Lee more because herky jerky, spinny, twirly kind of play seems challenging to guard.

The big question is can he dunk?? Kidding he can.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,708

Post#1923 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:13 pm

Xavian Lee needs to go back and shoot at least 35% from 3 or enter the transfer portal to a bigger program. Coming from Princeton and being 6'3 and Asian, he's Jeremy Lin 2.0.

If he wants to go undrafted and be given a 2-way contract with the 905, sure. Like he isn't better than Jalen Harris was as a prospect.

Maybe Indiana State takes him to pair with Cream Abdul-Jabbar, who was also a sophomore. Maybe they make the tourney next year? Good exposure.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,919

Post#1924 » by JShuttlesworth » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:08 pm

The draft lottery can't come soon enough

I want to know our fate one way or the other
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,178

Post#1925 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:35 pm

These guys make Isaiah Collier sound like a future all-star. Worth trading up for (with the Pistons pick) if the Pacers point is down in the late teens. Tankathon has him at #15.

Other stuff - Dillingham is basically a slightly bigger Nowell. Clingan is intriguing, but there's no reason to think he can shoot (shoots FTs at a 56% clip - for comparison, Jak shot FTs 65% at Utah). Edey is more than Boban 2.0, and should find a role player in the league. Devin Carter (a 22-year-old) is worth considering with the Pacers pick.

Or Missi. "Fastest end-to-end big I've ever seen". But his slight build hurts him in the post. Shot and feel needs work. But intriguing.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,811

Post#1926 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:42 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:The draft lottery can't come soon enough

Losing the pick would probably cement this as the worst season in our history, and having been around since the start that’s saying A LOT!
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#1927 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Apr 6, 2024 5:51 pm

Psubs wrote:Xavian Lee needs to go back and shoot at least 35% from 3 or enter the transfer portal to a bigger program. Coming from Princeton and being 6'3 and Asian, he's Jeremy Lin 2.0.

If he wants to go undrafted and be given a 2-way contract with the 905, sure. Like he isn't better than Jalen Harris was as a prospect.

Maybe Indiana State takes him to pair with Cream Abdul-Jabbar, who was also a sophomore. Maybe they make the tourney next year? Good exposure.

Exactly what I was thinking. Have him go undrafted and grant him a 2-way contract. Princeton only will improve him a certain amount, I think playing the 905 could highlight his ability to score. Not sure if he will have a spot to play with Avila. He just turned 20, he's young. Jalen is 26. Lee is Korean so I wouldn't lump him in with Yang but I think this a draft that's not strong so we should be creative on who we get. His game itself is an NBA game. If he waits to next year, that's a stronger draft. It's a chess game - come out now while there is a chance and go to Toronto. Or risk he can shine in the next two years. Tough call - his choice.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,281

Post#1928 » by Childs » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:10 pm

Reeko wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
:crazy: Well Thabeet, Sam Bowie and Emeka Okafor did go #2. Eddy Curry went #4.

And Bargs went...

When looking at Bargs purely from a skillset perspective it's easy to see why he went 1st overall.

alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,377

Post#1929 » by alpngso » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:41 pm

so with 55% of chance of not retaining the pick, i guess it’s more economical to study mid 1st rd and early 2nd rd guys than the top 6. for the time being
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,616

Post#1930 » by JRoy » Sat Apr 6, 2024 6:44 pm

alpngso wrote:so with 55% of chance of not retaining the pick, i guess it’s more economical to study mid 1st rd and early 2nd rd guys than the top 6. for the time being

Better for mental health.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,677

Post#1931 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:15 pm

alpngso wrote:so with 55% of chance of not retaining the pick, i guess it’s more economical to study mid 1st rd and early 2nd rd guys than the top 6. for the time being

Or you can just know, believe, wish, and keep faith that'll we'll jump up or remain at 6 & keep the pick.

I said weeks ago we're gonna land the 4th pick & I'm sticking to it.

Sarr / Rischarer / Cody / Holland / Matas B - one of those cats will be a Raptor

In Raptor Ball I Trust
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,678

Post#1932 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:41 pm

Even if we don't get our own pick to convey there are some teams in the lottery that would probably give up their pick if we dangled Poeltl or packaged BB with the Pacer/Det pick
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,225

Post#1933 » by Mark_83 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 9:38 pm

We did what we could, now we just need some Silver magic. He owes us.
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#1934 » by Kevin Willis » Sat Apr 6, 2024 9:40 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Even if we don't get our own pick to convey there are some teams in the lottery that would probably give up their pick if we dangled Poeltl or packaged BB with the Pacer/Det pick

I don't think that's creative enough. Trading Poeltl would leave us weak in the front court. He makes a difference. BB's value is not good right now. We could lay back now and be a third party in a trade. Maybe sign Edy Tavares or Mike James. Draft someone raw as hell - go Bruno C. He's starting from scratch, go nuts.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#1935 » by CazOnReal » Sat Apr 6, 2024 10:30 pm

Mark_83 wrote:We did what we could, now we just need some Silver magic. He owes us.

I mean that Knicks lawsuit alleges a close tie between Larry and Adam "Henry Kissinger is my idol" Silver.

Let's see how close they are.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,378

Post#1936 » by canada_dry » Sat Apr 6, 2024 10:41 pm

Mark_83 wrote:We did what we could, now we just need some Silver magic. He owes us.
We said the same thing in the 2021 draft about silver owing us. Didnt getting the 4th pick call it even? Can we still claim being owed? :) Asking for a friend.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,566

Post#1937 » by mtcan » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:11 pm

Childs wrote:
Reeko wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
And Bargs went...

When looking at Bargs purely from a skillset perspective it's easy to see why he went 1st overall.

Everyone was looking for the next Dirk Nowitzki or Andrei Kirilenko. This was the era of Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Yaroslav Korolev, Vladamir Radmanovic, etc...the tall 3 point shooting point shooting PF/C.

Everyone will be looking for the next 7 footer that can shoot and handle like Wemby and Chet.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,029

Post#1938 » by MEDIC » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:15 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:Losing the pick would probably cement this as the worst season in our history, and having been around since the start that’s saying A LOT!

Worst season? This isn't even close to.the worst season, even if we lost the pick.

Worst season for me by far was the year they traded Vince Carter for complete garbage.

We went from having the most popular & exciting player in the NBA & possibly having a bright furure.............to having a roster that was complete garbage & having a very bleak outlook for the forseable future. Things had been spiraling leading up to that season.

Fans went from having a sense of pride about being a Raptors fan to having to wonder if the franchise would even survive (especially after seeing Vancouver fold in recent years).

Easily the darkest time in franchise history.

This team has a nice young core of potential allstars. Tough break with the injuries, but future is bright.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,566

Post#1939 » by mtcan » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:22 pm

MEDIC wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Losing the pick would probably cement this as the worst season in our history, and having been around since the start that’s saying A LOT!

Worst season? This isn't even close to.the worst season, even if we lost the pick.

Worst season for me by far was the year they traded Vince Carter for complete garbage.

We went from having the most popular & exciting player in the NBA & possibly having a bright furure.............to having a roster that was complete garbage & having a very bleak outlook for the forseable future. Things had been spiraling leading up to that season.

Fans went from having a sense of pride about being a Raptors fan to having to wonder if the franchise would even survive (especially after seeing Vancouver fold in recent years).

Easily the darkest time in franchise history.

This team has a nice young core of potential allstars. Tough break with the injuries, but future is bright.

Trading Vince Carter for Aaron and Eric Williams then selecting Charlie V and Joey Graham in the following draft while having to watch Rafael Araujo as a rookie.....that was a pretty dark time.
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,140

Post#1940 » by LarSiN » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:46 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:The draft lottery can't come soon enough

Losing the pick would probably cement this as the worst season in our history, and having been around since the start that’s saying A LOT!

Highly Disagree
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"

Return to Toronto Raptors