ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 9,025

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 2 

Post#1941 » by MEDIC » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:47 pm

mtcan wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:Losing the pick would probably cement this as the worst season in our history, and having been around since the start that’s saying A LOT!

Worst season? This isn't even close to.the worst season, even if we lost the pick.

Worst season for me by far was the year they traded Vince Carter for complete garbage.

We went from having the most popular & exciting player in the NBA & possibly having a bright furure.............to having a roster that was complete garbage & having a very bleak outlook for the forseable future. Things had been spiraling leading up to that season.

Fans went from having a sense of pride about being a Raptors fan to having to wonder if the franchise would even survive (especially after seeing Vancouver fold in recent years).

Easily the darkest time in franchise history.

This team has a nice young core of potential allstars. Tough break with the injuries, but future is bright.

Trading Vince Carter for Aaron and Eric Williams then selecting Charlie V and Joey Graham in the following draft while having to watch Rafael Araujo as a rookie.....that was a pretty dark time.

Leading up to that season the following things had happened (in no particular ordee):

1. BJ Armstrong outright refused play for Toronto
2. Kenny Anderson outright refused to play for Toronto
3. Butch Carter went off the rails
4. There was ownership instability (Alan Slaight shotgun clause)
5. T-mac would not re-sign
6. Antonio Davis wanted out & trash talked Toronto/ Canada
7. Vancouver folded
8. Might Mouse forced his way out
9. Raps had a history of terrible ownership, management & coaching
10. There was only a fringe interest in the Raptors. Leafs ruled the scene.
11. Isiah Thomas fight with ownership. Left on bad terms.
12. Stern screwed the Raps with his new drafting rule. Raps miss out on franchise.player (Iverson).

Carter was the only significant Raptor to embrace the franchise at that point. Then he decides to force his way out as well. After the trade, Mourning refuses to report & is bought out.......no return.

Raps fans had taken a beating at that point. The Carter trade felt like the final blow..
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,302

Post#1942 » by Reeko » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:51 pm

MEDIC wrote:
mtcan wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
Worst season? This isn't even close to.the worst season, even if we lost the pick.

Worst season for me by far was the year they traded Vince Carter for complete garbage.

We went from having the most popular & exciting player in the NBA & possibly having a bright furure.............to having a roster that was complete garbage & having a very bleak outlook for the forseable future. Things had been spiraling leading up to that season.

Fans went from having a sense of pride about being a Raptors fan to having to wonder if the franchise would even survive (especially after seeing Vancouver fold in recent years).

This team has a nice young core of potential allstars. Tough break with the injuries, but future is bright.

Trading Vince Carter for Aaron and Eric Williams then selecting Charlie V and Joey Graham in the following draft while having to watch Rafael Araujo as a rookie.....that was a pretty dark time.

Leading up to that season the following things had happened (in no particular ordee):

7. Vancouver folded
12. Stern screwed the Raps with his new drafting rule. Raps miss out on franchise.player (Iverson).

Carter was the only significant Raptor to embrace the franchise at that point. Then he decides to force his way out as well. After the trade, Mourning refuses to report & is bought out.......no return.

Raps fans had taken a beating at that point. The Carter trade felt like the final blow..

A lot of people don't know how handicapped by the league the Raptors were as an expansion franchise.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,566

Post#1943 » by mtcan » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:55 pm

MEDIC wrote:
mtcan wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

Leading up to that season the following things had happened:

7. Vancouver folded

Ya...this season, as weird as it has been really is nothing...lol.

Barnes/Quickley/Barrett/Dick is a great place to start the rebuild. We no longer have guys that aren't willing to report to the team because it's Canada.

Kevin O'Neil was a horrible coach and Raptors basketball was unwatchable in his time.

I remember when we had line-ups that included Robert Archibald (RIP), Jelani McCoy and Jannero Pargo...ugh...
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,811

Post#1944 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:11 am

I disagree with all of you. In my opinion, this would be the worst. I was here for Zan Tabak, to Rob Babcock, to Masai Ujiri. This season would be super dark if the pick conveys to the Spurs. The darkest in our history.

With that said, our future has more hope that the other darkest years which is what a lot of you seem to be holding onto. I’m not talking about next season or anything past this years lottery.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,514

Post#1945 » by dagger » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:25 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:I disagree with all of you. In my opinion, this would be the worst. I was here for Zan Tabak, to Rob Babcock, to Masai Ujiri. This season would be super dark if the pick conveys to the Spurs. The darkest in our history.

With that said, our future has more hope that the other darkest years which is what a lot of you seem to be holding onto. I’m not talking about next season or anything past this years lottery.

Oh geez, darkest in our history? that’s ridiculous- you must be a teenager or an amnesiac.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,007

Post#1946 » by NinjaBro » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:27 am

The darkest years were the Rudy Gay era before the trade. No future no hope, Casey hell of high water. That was definitely the worst.

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,225

Post#1947 » by Mark_83 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:50 am

Can't wait to see Castle vs Sears. I have a feeling the NCAA wants a Clingan vs Edey final, but this game should still be fun even if I don't expect Alabama to win.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,785

Post#1948 » by VanWest82 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:13 am

Medic reminding me why I had to become a full time Nash fan in the mid-2000s. That last Vince year and the trade was just the worst. It's a miracle Toronto didn't lose the team.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,472

Post#1949 » by tdotrep2 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:15 am

I like clingan
ill-Will03
Rookie
And1: 1,438

Post#1950 » by ill-Will03 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:15 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:I disagree with all of you. In my opinion, this would be the worst. I was here for Zan Tabak, to Rob Babcock, to Masai Ujiri. This season would be super dark if the pick conveys to the Spurs. The darkest in our history.

And what if no one in the top 7 ends up even being an all star? Would you still feel the same way about this season?

I’ve definitely witnessed way worse seasons than this one as a raptors fan lol
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,726

Post#1951 » by C_Money » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:31 am

NinjaBro wrote:The darkest years were the Rudy Gay era before the trade. No future no hope, Casey hell of high water. That was definitely the worst.

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson

For me it was the Triano/Bargnani era. I hated everybody from the players, coach and GM.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,178

Post#1952 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:38 am

mtcan wrote:
MEDIC wrote:
mtcan wrote:Trading Vince Carter for Aaron and Eric Williams then selecting Charlie V and Joey Graham in the following draft while having to watch Rafael Araujo as a rookie.....that was a pretty dark time.

Leading up to that season the following things had happened:

Ya...this season, as weird as it has been really is nothing...lol.

Barnes/Quickley/Barrett/Dick is a great place to start the rebuild. We no longer have guys that aren't willing to report to the team because it's Canada.

Kevin O'Neil was a horrible coach and Raptors basketball was unwatchable in his time.

I remember when we had line-ups that included Robert Archibald (RIP), Jelani McCoy and Jannero Pargo...ugh...

Check my start date on this board. Early 2006, when Babcock was still GM. In one of my first games at the ACC, against Charlotte, we started Loren Woods at C. That was a bad period, but it abruptly ended when we at least made the playoffs in 2007 and 2008.

But the half decade out of the playoffs between 2009 and 2013 was DARK. For a non-playoff team, the excitement lies in the kids, the high draft picks. DeMar was never "exciting" in that sense. Some on this board even thought Sonny Weems would have a better career. Ed Davis, JV (didn't play for a year), T-Ross, never looked liked future all-stars, cuz they weren't. Flashes in the pan like Pops Mensah-Bonsu came and went. That Boy Bay looked worthy of where he had been taken in the draft ... sometimes. Alan Anderson, a bigger, less efficient version of Gary Trent Jr. The list of sub-mediocrities is endless.

James Johnson was exciting to watch, so naturally the coaches refused to play him. Too out of control. Of course, the draft pick we paid to acquire him from the Bulls the first time was used to draft ... Jimmy Butler. Can you imagine?

As assistant GM at the time, Masai got his first crack at drafting an African in he second round. Solomon Alabi - one of the worst NBA players I've ever seen. I was at the game where he got a double-double and Ben Uzoh his trip dub. It didn't even matter, the Nets were doing everything to lose short of throwing the ball at their own net. No way the Raps had the stomach to lose that game (and gain the chance to pick Dame) in front of their home crowd.

Through it all, the placid presence of Andrea Bargnani. Our #1 pick. A 7 footer who refused to rebound. A shooter who lost his ability to shoot. And then, Colangelo masterfully traded for Rudy Gay. More darkness.

So yeah, an era with "Barnes/Quickley/Barrett/Dick", plus Jakob and Ochai, and either Bruce Brown and Gary next year, or a lot of cap space. This isn't nearly as bad. Then again, the league as a whole is MUCH more talented.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,286

Post#1953 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:48 am

You are entitled to think that way, but darkest in history is laughable. :lol: We still have the Pacers pick and 31-32 pick so there will still be some sort of young talent added. Yes, this season sucked, but off season will be very interesting to watch, and we now have a young core again to watch develop.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 230

Post#1954 » by RoteSchroder » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:54 am

Raptorfan2012 wrote:

You are entitled to think that way, but darkest in history is laughable. :lol: We still have the Pacers pick and 31-32 pick so there will still be some sort of young talent added. Yes, this season sucked, but off season will be very interesting to watch, and we now have a young core again to watch develop.

Imagine if the pick conveys and Masai does nothing with the potential capspace, but instead decides to re-sign Brown and Gary.

It would be a hell of a disappointment. Fans would be shoving remote controls up their bums with rage (some already are). But it would still be nowhere close to the pre-Masai years. Masai would need to pull out a miracle with the Indiana + Detroit picks.
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#1955 » by MEDIC » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:29 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:

Imagine if the pick conveys and Masai does nothing with the potential capspace, but instead decides to re-sign Brown and Gary.

It would be a hell of a disappointment. Fans would be shoving remote controls up their bums with rage (some already are). But it would still be nowhere close to the pre-Masai years. Masai would need to pull out a miracle with the Indiana + Detroit picks.

Tim Lieweke truly is the unsung hero/ savior of the franchise. He was the one that turned things around after years of damage caused by the Rob Babcock VC trade. The culture surrounding the franchise & the fans was a pretty bad one before he came along. He shook up the organization. Got rid of the snake oil salesman Colangelo, hired Masai & the rest is history.
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 611

Post#1956 » by grant101 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:30 am

Castle showing out! He plays like a vet. What a dog. I think this game also gets Nelson drafted. There aren't too many at his size that can move and handle the ball like he does
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,754

Post#1957 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:35 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 230

Post#1958 » by RoteSchroder » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:48 am

grant101 wrote:Castle showing out! He plays like a vet. What a dog. I think this game also gets Nelson drafted. There aren't too many at his size that can move and handle the ball like he does

Bad news of him increasing his draft stock. Hope we get into the top 4 in that case.

Most of the consensus top ~10 players are uninteresting to me. Sarr is a bit far away offensively and his interior D doesn't seem strong enough to really be a high level anchor. Reed, Risacher, Cody Williams, Buzelis seem to have limited upside on offense and top out as role players. Dillingham needs to be really dominant on offensive to justify his defense.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,754

Post#1959 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:57 am

Clingan vs Edey lets go
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#1960 » by MEDIC » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:58 am

Clingan is pretty much a "can't miss NBA prospect. He might end up being a more impactful player than Sarr.

Return to Toronto Raptors