ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 2,077

Re: Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8 

Post#21 » by Blazing_royale » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:08 am

sidsid wrote:He's already easily the best player in his draft class and has far more room to grow than anyone else in it, too.

Felt that way about the latter since half-way through his rookie season. He has so much Lowry in him.

Segun / Mobley / Paolo and probably some others i'm missing that's closeby. I can see Segun over take Barnes in the future.
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
KP730
Junior
And1: 320

Post#22 » by KP730 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:11 am

Blazing_royale wrote:
sidsid wrote:He's already easily the best player in his draft class and has far more room to grow than anyone else in it, too.

Felt that way about the latter since half-way through his rookie season. He has so much Lowry in him.

Segun / Mobley / Paolo and probably some others i'm missing that's closeby. I can see Segun over take Barnes in the future.

Paolo not in his draft class!

Sengun the closest, but Scottie better now and in the future
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,265

Post#23 » by sidsid » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:19 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Not sure I'd say easily. Sengun is REALLY good.

Cade also has played 116 career games.

Eh, Sengun is going to have to work awfully hard just to break even on defense in the playoffs. Cade's got more in common with RJ than a top franchise player.

Barnes has question marks to fill out, but he's already cleared bars that these other guys have as structural flaws.

Mobley was the only guy in that draft with a potentially higher ceiling, but it's not trending in that direction.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,065

Post#24 » by Duffman100 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:22 am

sidsid wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Not sure I'd say easily. Sengun is REALLY good.

Cade also has played 116 career games.

Eh, Sengun is going to have to work awfully hard just to break even on defense in the playoffs. Cade's got more in common with RJ than a top franchise player.

Barnes has question marks to fill out, but he's already cleared bars that these other guys have as structural flaws.

Mobley was the only guy in that draft with a potentially higher ceiling, but it's not trending in that direction.

I'd still take Barnes. But it's just 'easily'. I think it's still close.
kingz3290
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#25 » by kingz3290 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:24 am

KP730 wrote:we haven’t had a true blue chip, drafted star like this since Vince…and Barnes is going to be so much better

many in this fanbase still don’t realize what we got here. it’s OK tho! sooner or later everyone will catch up and be on the same page

he's not going to be better than Vince Carter....like be forreal.
sidsid
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by sidsid » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:36 am

Duffman100 wrote:
sidsid wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Cade also has played 116 career games.

They can be close in terms of impact now, but they're still behind because of ceilings.

If you had to pick now, the choice is clear. Because Barnes is already better than them, more of a complete player, and he's got the ceiling on his side. Which is why 'easily' is the right call here.

It would be a different discussion if you could rationalize having one of these other guys on your team for the playoffs instead, but you can't. You're hurting your team if you did.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,209

Post#27 » by HiJiNX » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:49 am

kingz3290 wrote:
KP730 wrote:we haven’t had a true blue chip, drafted star like this since Vince…and Barnes is going to be so much better

many in this fanbase still don’t realize what we got here. it’s OK tho! sooner or later everyone will catch up and be on the same page

Barnes will 100% for sure be better than any version of Vince by Barnes’ seventh season. I’d bet all of my money on it.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,209

Post#28 » by HiJiNX » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:52 am

Need that 40 pt game now.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
sidsid
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by sidsid » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:09 am

HiJiNX wrote:Need that 40 pt game now.

Different eras and all, but I keep going back to KG. He only cleared 40 four times.

We're in a higher scoring era and Scottie is an actual 3pt shooter, but he's got more Lowry in him. He won't go for it, and when he does hit it it'll likely be because he was on fire from 3 in the flow of the game.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Post#30 » by Scase » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:16 am

HiJiNX wrote:
kingz3290 wrote:

Barnes will 100% for sure be better than any version of Vince by Barnes’ seventh season. I’d bet all of my money on it.

I agree, and this is from a massive VC fan. Vince absolutely demolishes Scottie in the potential category, but Scottie seems to want it more than Vince ever did. That said, peak VC on the raps was disgusting.
Props TZ!
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,197

Post#31 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:16 am

50+ points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
KP730
Junior
And1: 320

Post#32 » by KP730 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:30 am

Scase wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
kingz3290 wrote:

I agree, and this is from a massive VC fan. Vince absolutely demolishes Scottie in the potential category, but Scottie seems to want it more than Vince ever did. That said, peak VC on the raps was disgusting.

exactly

unfortunately Vince didn’t end up living up to his insane potential. I don’t think we’ll see anything like Vince’s peak on the raps again…could have done so much more….injuries suck

Scottie’s a different player. On top of the scoring, he’s a two way player with All Defence team potential, elite size, playmaking talent/vision unlike anything the raps have had, and is driven

If healthy, I’m convinced he’ll be better
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,997

Post#33 » by Los_29 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:54 am

HumbleRen wrote:Maybe if you’re developing B tier stars, then sure you bring them along slowly.

If you think you have your franchise player then you absolutely throw them into the fire.

It’s why I was not worried at all about Banchero last year while you were crying about his TS%.
He was not equipped to be a first option last year but it never mattered at all because those first option reps are invaluable.

As someone already mentioned, there is an overwhelming amount of data that suggests you’re wrong. Also, the majority of these players that were brought along slowly had much more offensive talent than Scottie. Scottie averaged 10ppg in college and was largely seen as a project. No one expected him to win ROTY. No one even expected him to contribute much in his rookie season. I know deep down you don’t honestly believe what you are typing here.

I wasn’t crying about Banchero’s TS%. I’m actually a fan of him and liked the pick. The argument was from you claiming he was a 3 level scorer despite him shooting like 28% from three.

The first option reps have really worked out for Cade and Jalen Green. Both of whom are the same players if not worse from their rookie seasons.

I promise you right now, Jokic, Tatum, Butler, Scottie, Sengun, Hali, Giannis, Brown, Pascal, Maxey and dozens of others would not be better off had they had 1st option reps in their rookie seasons.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,197

Post#34 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 4:46 pm

sidsid wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
sidsid wrote:

They can be close in terms of impact now, but they're still behind because of ceilings.

If you had to pick now, the choice is clear. Because Barnes is already better than them, more of a complete player, and he's got the ceiling on his side. Which is why 'easily' is the right call here.

It would be a different discussion if you could rationalize having one of these other guys on your team for the playoffs instead, but you can't. You're hurting your team if you did.

I think Barnes needs work on his consistency throughout the game and jumper still. and drawing more fouls. + FT%. you can see he's putting in the work. just another year to get to that next level of dominance.

I said that I would take Barnes over Sengun because Barnes is a wing player and that long term it should be more beneficial when it comes to controlling the pace and having the ball in his hands most of the time but Sengun looking like Jokic on some nights has me excited for his jump as well.

then you have Cade and Mobley down the road and Kuminga, whose stock is rising like crazy right now. Franz probably won't be more than a role player now that Paolo has taken over the reigns as the defacto go-to player in Orlando but maybe he takes another jump in a year or two with his outside shooting.

Green has taken a step backwards this year and it seems like a future 6th man than a league leading scorer in terms of effectiveness and growth of overall game. dude is in trade talks for Mikal Bridges. lol
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,775

Post#35 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,227

Post#36 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:17 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
kingz3290 wrote:

He's already a better, or damn close to, and a far more complete player than Carter. But the complete part he doesnt get enough credit for, and Carter doesn't get enough criticism for.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,237

Post#37 » by niQ » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:18 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

50+ points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,834

Post#38 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:25 pm

This season **** sucks. I want to see big games from BBQ, but I also want us to lose every game to keep our pick. That Yak trade has ruined the fan experience this season.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,967

Post#39 » by Truthrising » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:25 pm

KP730 wrote:
Blazing_royale wrote:

Paolo not in his draft class!

Sengun the closest, but Scottie better now and in the future

I honestly think Sengun is overrated. If FVV hadn’t joined the Rockets I don’t think we’d see near the production we’re seeing from Sengun as we are now. Means he relies on FVV to be an all-star. Scottie Barnes doesn’t rely on any one player to see the production that we are seeing from him.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,848

Post#40 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Feb 7, 2024 9:27 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
kingz3290 wrote:

He's already a better, or damn close to, and a far more complete player than Carter. But the complete part he doesnt get enough credit for, and Carter doesn't get enough criticism for.

It’s interesting to note that Carter very much was a very complete player. It never resonated consistently on the stat sheet and he only became a real triple double threat with the Nets. But yeah, it’s part of the whole lack of drive thing. I watched him literally locked guys down on D, make insane passes, and score with ease. He could do it all.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.

Return to Toronto Raptors