ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Wizards have a superior tank

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,434

Re: PG: Wizards have a superior tank 

Post#21 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:24 am

anotherhomer wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

We got another young all-star to pair with Scottie.
RJ might just end up being another...

IQ yes, RJ not really....he's mainly a slasher, albeit a good one

i think you'll need another scorer

Team still needs a 1st option. Barnes is great at a lot of things but he will need to take another massive leap to become a top scorer of a good team.

Hoping we can find one through the draft since that's probably our only real avenue to get one.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,007

Post#22 » by NinjaBro » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:27 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

IQ yes, RJ not really....he's mainly a slasher, albeit a good one

i think you'll need another scorer

Team still needs a 1st option. Barnes is great at a lot of things but he will need to take another massive lead to become a top scorer of a good team.

Hoping we can find one through the draft since that's probably our only real avenue to get one.
I see a lot of Gordon Hayward in Gradey Dick. Love for him to get there.

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,718

Post#23 » by SFour » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:33 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

OG trade was a home run there's no denying that....even the haters on here won't deny it.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,019

Post#24 » by anotherhomer » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:56 am

SFour wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

OG trade was a home run there's no denying that....even the haters on here won't deny it.

it helps offset the pascal trade, which was bitter medicine that needed to be swallowed
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#25 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:05 am

anotherhomer wrote:
SFour wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

it helps offset the pascal trade, which was bitter medicine that needed to be swallowed

I thought the OG trade only offset the FVV walk
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,607

Post#26 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:16 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:How long does RJ have to play well before he's not thought of as an after thought that we have to trade down the line?

He shot inefficiently, and was the only negative +/- playing significant minutes, against the Wizards. RJ has definitely played much better here, but this is not the game to be touting that :lol:
Props TZ!
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,107

Post#27 » by deck » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:19 am

Scase wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:How long does RJ have to play well before he's not thought of as an after thought that we have to trade down the line?

He shot inefficiently, and was the only negative +/- playing significant minutes, against the Wizards. RJ has definitely played much better here, but this is not the game to be touting that :lol:

Did you watch the game? He was solid.

He shot average efficiency, and added 8 rebounds and 7 assists...
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,565

Post#28 » by mtcan » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:24 am

It is ok to support a guy and be a fan instead of continually trying to poke holes in his game to support your previous thesis. A 20 ppg scorer is good to have. It's not a bad thing at all.
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#29 » by shmoosicle » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:27 am

I don't know what you mean? What are you looking for people to say?
I've been very happy with his play but weird time for you to say this considering he shot somewhat poorly today and turned it over 6 times.
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo
Scase
RealGM

Post#30 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:27 am

deck wrote:
Scase wrote:

I wasn't saying he was bad, just that it was an alright game from a tanking team against a tanking team. People are talking about how he is a core piece, 30 games into a tank year. Let's let this breathe a bit, calling Gradey a bust after 20-30 games was just as silly as claiming RJ is a keeper.

His game is still incredibly limited, for him to be a core piece, he needs to be more than just a slasher IMO. I will say though, his passing is looking better, I'm just not ready to crown him permanent so soon.
Props TZ!
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,812

Post#31 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:29 am

The man simply scores too often and has too much confidence and success driving to the hoop to ever fit well on this team.

People talk about how he will be shut down in the playoffs. Are we in the playoffs? Were DeRozen's free throws not taken away in the playoffs? Did we not give him year after year to improve, or did we toss him when he was 23?

Why is another team going to trade a better player for him unless we find another rental like Kawhi? You're not getting a Kawhi type player on a long contract for him.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
deck
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by deck » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:33 am

Scase wrote:
deck wrote:
Scase wrote:He shot inefficiently, and was the only negative +/- playing significant minutes, against the Wizards. RJ has definitely played much better here, but this is not the game to be touting that :lol:

I wasn't saying he was bad, just that it was an alright game from a tanking team against a tanking team. People are talking about how he is a core piece, 30 games into a tank year. Let's let this breathe a bit, calling Gradey a bust after 20-30 games was just as silly as claiming RJ is a keeper.

His game is still incredibly limited, for him to be a core piece, he needs to be more than just a slasher IMO. I will say though, his passing is looking better, I'm just not ready to crown him permanent so soon.

Did you watch the game? Cause he played a very well rounded game, quite the opposite of 'incredibly limited'.

You specifically responded to the post with lols about how this wasn't a good game to comment on RJs play. I think most people who actually watched the game would say he played very well, even if it was against Washington.
Scase
RealGM

Post#33 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:39 am

deck wrote:
Scase wrote:
deck wrote:

Did you watch the game? Cause he played a very well rounded game, quite the opposite of 'incredibly limited'.

You specifically responded to the post with lols about how this wasn't a good game to comment on RJs play. I think most people who actually watched the game would say he played very well, even if it was against Washington.

7 of his 9 made FGs were layups and 1 dunk, he was cutting to the basket, or driving against a bad defender. There is nothing expansive about his offence. His offensive game is very limited, this is just irrefutable fact, shot charts exist. He has a game, that vs good defensive teams/in the playoffs, is easy to shut down. He needs a mid range shot, or a very good 3pt shot.
Props TZ!
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,314

Post#34 » by ciueli » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:58 am

The problem with the OG trade is that our team is now officially a bottom 6 defensive team in the league and we a gaping hole at starting SF with no easy way to fill it.

Barrett is scoring really well but he's a negative on defence and has been his entire career, this is why New York was willing to give him up. Until we find a replacement 3+D wing for OG there will be a ceiling on how good the team can be.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,588

Post#35 » by Brinbe » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:01 am

They have some pretty obvious holes to fill and they need some bigger forwards in the worst way along with a backup point and big. But they'll have the tools to fill those gaps in the off-season.
deck
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by deck » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:01 am

Scase wrote:
deck wrote:
Scase wrote:I wasn't saying he was bad, just that it was an alright game from a tanking team against a tanking team. People are talking about how he is a core piece, 30 games into a tank year. Let's let this breathe a bit, calling Gradey a bust after 20-30 games was just as silly as claiming RJ is a keeper.

7 of his 9 made FGs were layups and 1 dunk, he was cutting to the basket, or driving against a bad defender. There is nothing expansive about his offence. His offensive game is very limited, this is just irrefutable fact, shot charts exist. He has a game, that vs good defensive teams/in the playoffs, is easy to shut down. He needs a mid range shot, or a very good 3pt shot.

Right. So you didn't watch the game and instead based your opinion on shot charts. Got it.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 230

Post#37 » by RoteSchroder » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:05 am

Scase wrote:
deck wrote:
Scase wrote:I wasn't saying he was bad, just that it was an alright game from a tanking team against a tanking team. People are talking about how he is a core piece, 30 games into a tank year. Let's let this breathe a bit, calling Gradey a bust after 20-30 games was just as silly as claiming RJ is a keeper.

There's nothing wrong with having a limited game as long as he can be effective. Dude can be a #2-3 scorer on the team. What he needs to work on is his all-round shooting, but at the moment, being a situational catch and shooter is fine too.

If you look back at the Knicks board, they were complaining last playoffs on how Randle was outperformed by RJ.

Randle (28 years old)
vs CLE: 14.4 PPG 33.8 FG%, 23.5 3P%
vs Miami: 18.8 PPG 41.1 FG%, 28.1 3P%

RJ (23 years old)
vs CLE: 17.4 PPG 44.1 FG%, 25 3P%
vs Miami: 20.8 PPG 42.7 FG% 37.8 3P%

Both Cleveland and Miami have very good defenses. Keep in mind that his shot selection and the Knick's situation wasn't great for him to begin with. Quickley also struggled much more than either RJ/Randle, and he was going against bench players.

You don't need every core piece to be perfect. Pretty much every player on our roster has some major limitations for their respective positions/roles. Core pieces can also still be traded, happens all the time.

If he maintained or goes back to his shot selection and style of play during the Knicks, then we'd have a major problem in terms of his fit and usefulness.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,232

Post#38 » by HumbleRen » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:13 am

RJ's ultimate role on this team will be a 6th man role. His current scoring skillset should make him really potent in that role.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#39 » by DelAbbot » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:30 am

HumbleRen wrote:RJ's ultimate role on this team will be a 6th man role. His current scoring skillset should make him really potent in that role.

but we don't have the kind of depth to push him into that role for the next year. He will continue to be SG
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,232

Post#40 » by HumbleRen » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:35 am

DelAbbot wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:RJ's ultimate role on this team will be a 6th man role. His current scoring skillset should make him really potent in that role.

but we don't have the kind of depth to push him into that role for the next year. He will continue to be SG

Hence why I said ultimate role, yeah we cannot put him on the bench until we have a justifiable reason to do so.

Hopefully we luck out and get Ron Holland in the draft lol.

Return to Toronto Raptors