ImageImageImageImageImage

What to do with Bruce?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,835

Re: What to do with Bruce? 

Post#21 » by WuTang_OG » Sun May 12, 2024 10:39 pm

Read on Twitter
pbernardi
Junior
And1: 614

Post#22 » by pbernardi » Sun May 12, 2024 10:39 pm

Scase wrote:Masai will pick up his option, fail to trade him due to his constant need to get maximum value, and he will be traded for peanuts at the deadline next year.

Well, other option is to let him walk and overpay a bad FA with his money.

The cherry of the cake is when we send a pick to ge rid of this FA contract.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,636

Post#23 » by Scase » Sun May 12, 2024 10:51 pm

pbernardi wrote:
Scase wrote:Masai will pick up his option, fail to trade him due to his constant need to get maximum value, and he will be traded for peanuts at the deadline next year.

You dont need to use the cap space to sign anyone, you can absorb a contract in a trade without sending any salary back. A tanking team ideally would do this with assets tied to the negative one. Think Dragic being traded with a first, or birch with 2 seconds. You have to pay to unload your garbage.

That's why people are saying GSW sends over wiggins for a FRP/moody or both. They get cap relief/expirings and we get assets.
Props TZ!
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,188

Post#24 » by tecumseh18 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:53 pm

Another possibility is to not pick up his option and simply re-sign Brown for a more reasonable three year deal - just above the non-taxpayer MLE.

Of course the final decision depends on what is offered to us, either for Brown or for the cap space we gain if we let him walk. A patient strategy would be to maximize cap space, and use to to absorb bad contracts attached to picks. We can also use the room exception for something nice (e.g. JV - if we also trade Poeltl for picks)
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,303

Post#25 » by TorontoBarneys » Sun May 12, 2024 10:57 pm

Ship his ass out. We ain't got no time for being middling anymore.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,674

Post#26 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun May 12, 2024 11:07 pm

Need to trade him this summer
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#27 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun May 12, 2024 11:11 pm

Bruce for PG seems possible.
SpezNc
Rookie
And1: 594

Post#28 » by SpezNc » Sun May 12, 2024 11:12 pm

I am skeptical he has trade value . I expect that we unfortunately pick up the option and try to trade him next trade deadline of a 2nd rounder !
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect
And1: 545

Post#29 » by CazOnReal » Sun May 12, 2024 11:30 pm

Scase wrote:
pbernardi wrote:

You dont need to use the cap space to sign anyone, you can absorb a contract in a trade without sending any salary back. A tanking team ideally would do this with assets tied to the negative one. Think Dragic being traded with a first, or birch with 2 seconds. You have to pay to unload your garbage.

That's why people are saying GSW sends over wiggins for a FRP/moody or both. They get cap relief/expirings and we get assets.

The Moody/Wiggins option makes a ton of sense to me though one would assume we'd include Boucher as part of that deal as well.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,912

Post#30 » by deeps6x » Sun May 12, 2024 11:41 pm

No way is Bruce worth anything close to $20M/yr. I wouldn't even sign him to a MLE deal.

I think his value is equivalent to the 59th pick in this year's draft.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,909

Post#31 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 pm

Brown’s cap space is more valuable than his contract. Just let him go.

Raptors should be looking to take distressed contract(s) or serve as luxury tax team(s) dumping ground with their cap space for draft picks.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#32 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:10 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:Brown’s cap space is more valuable than his contract. Just let him go.

Raptors should be looking to take distressed contract(s) or serve as luxury tax team(s) dumping ground with their cap space for draft picks.

That's exactly what you would be looking to do by trading brown no?

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,636

Post#33 » by Scase » Mon May 13, 2024 12:11 am

CazOnReal wrote:
Scase wrote:
pbernardi wrote:

The Moody/Wiggins option makes a ton of sense to me though one would assume we'd include Boucher as part of that deal as well.

Makes sense for us, less so for GSW. I think anyone with a pulse, including their FO knows there is no turning their current team back into a legit contender. Making that trade would be pretty dumb IMO.
Props TZ!
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,795

Post#34 » by MessiahUjiri » Mon May 13, 2024 12:13 am

agkagk wrote:19 + bruce + boucher for wiggins + moody.

Podz replaced moody, 19 replaces moody. bruce is well slotted as kumingas backup and mentor. boucher is a perfect fit off the bench in san fran. Warriors save tax dollars…. maybe? Lol

Let wiggins hit corner threes and defend p.o.a and leave him alone lol

Rj quick wiggins barnes jakub

Dick/moody - veteran pg - acbaji/moody - kelly - rim runner

Thats a top 6 team

Rj and barnes are legit.

Surround them and the kids with winning veterans. Wiggins, jakub, kelly and a veteran pg would be excellent.

Lets go.

I really like that value for both teams. But I really don’t know about the direction for Toronto.

Are we really trying to get a 11-15 pick next year? That’s where we’d be, most likely. Smells like mediocrity.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,749

Post#35 » by DG88 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:25 am

Would look to use him in a trade to get assets.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,909

Post#36 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon May 13, 2024 12:26 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:Brown’s cap space is more valuable than his contract. Just let him go.

That's exactly what you would be looking to do by trading brown no?

For Toronto, yes. For the receiving team, no.

To trade Brown you need to pick up his $23m option. Any team acquiring Brown then has to pay him $23m.

If you drop Brown, then you can take $23m into cap space and the trade partner doesn’t have to take back anything.

That is why I think Brown’s cap space is more valuable than Brown’s contract.
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#37 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 13, 2024 12:32 am

Scase wrote:
CazOnReal wrote:
Scase wrote:You dont need to use the cap space to sign anyone, you can absorb a contract in a trade without sending any salary back. A tanking team ideally would do this with assets tied to the negative one. Think Dragic being traded with a first, or birch with 2 seconds. You have to pay to unload your garbage.

Makes sense for us, less so for GSW. I think anyone with a pulse, including their FO knows there is no turning their current team back into a legit contender. Making that trade would be pretty dumb IMO.

They still have Curry, they're going to keep running it back until he's done for. It isn't the correct move but then again neither was benching Moody in favor of Klay's Brick House Emporium for the majority of this season.

0/6 from 3 while Moody goes 5/8 (2/4 from 3) in 15 minutes and he's still getting disrespected by Kerr.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#38 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:33 am

So in theory we could

Draft pick 19+31
Replace Brown cap hit with a better fit for us
Resign Trent above MLE but lower than 20m I assume
Resign IQ
Use MLE

And remain under the tax. That would be a solid offseason depending on the additions.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
CazOnReal
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by CazOnReal » Mon May 13, 2024 12:36 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:So in theory we could

Draft pick 19+31
Replace Brown cap hit with a better fit for us
Resign Trent above MLE but lower than 20m I assume
Resign IQ
Use MLE

And remain under the tax. That would be a solid offseason depending on the additions.

This is overlooking Scottie's extension which will kick in during 2025/26 and thus push us in to tax territory or close to it but in theory, yes.

I think there's a much larger chance of Trent leaving than people will admit, and the fact that Olynyk got an extension before Gary is indicative that his price tag is going to be set by this free agency class rather than what we offer him. If another team gives him $20 million, I would be surprised if we matched.

We could also do a sign and trade but the teams for that aren't going to give up equivalent value so...
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,732

Post#40 » by C_Money » Mon May 13, 2024 12:37 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Bruce Brown probably isn't going to fetch much in a trade

Reason why we should decline the team option and use the cap space.

Return to Toronto Raptors