ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps work out Antoine Walker!

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Re: Raps work out Antoine Walker! 

Post#21 » by supersub15 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:16 pm

The Duke wrote:I guess we'll put this in the category of.... of throw everything against the wall and hope something eventually sticks......

I wonder if our management team has a clue as to what this team really needs: a SG that can break defenses down off the dribble.

We keep replacing the spare parts, but the engine is still stalling.
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by lemondrop » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:21 pm

supersub15 wrote:
The Duke wrote:I guess we'll put this in the category of.... of throw everything against the wall and hope something eventually sticks......

I wonder if our management team has a clue as to what this team really needs: a SG that can break defenses down off the dribble.

We keep replacing the spare parts, but the engine is still stalling.

Well in reality you can't have it all. While I agree we desperately need a SG, a star level one most of you guys here on realgm once said we needed a real center for CB4, we got one and it failed. Most of you then said we needed a real SF and we got one now in Marion and it to so far is failing.

There is only so much money to go around, you can't have a star at every position at some point we have to understand its not who we are putting around the core of Bosh-Jose-Bargs it is the core thats the problem and the thought that you can build around a PF like Bosh.

If the team continues to get slaughtered the rest of the way I am all for trading Bosh and Jose, rebuilding and doing it around a star SG but for those that support our core and Chris Bosh as the #1 guy you can't have it all and you will have even less than this when Chris signs the Max in a years time.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by supersub15 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:30 pm

lemondrop wrote:Well in reality you can't have it all. While I agree we desperately need a SG, a star level one most of you guys here on realgm once said we needed a real center for CB4, we got one and it failed. Most of you then said we needed a real SF and we got one now in Marion and it to so far is failing.

There is only so much money to go around, you can't have a star at every position at some point we have to understand its not who we are putting around the core of Bosh-Jose-Bargs it is the core thats the problem and the thought that you can build around a PF like Bosh.

If the team continues to get slaughtered the rest of the way I am all for trading Bosh and Jose, rebuilding and doing it around a star SG but for those that support our core and Chris Bosh as the #1 guy you can't have it all and you will have even less than this when Chris signs the Max in a years time.

Yes, we needed a center, and after last week's trade, we now need one again.

I wasn't worried about the SF position, as we already had a poor-man Marion and a suddenly-blossoming Graham at that position, with a decent backup in Kapono.

The PG position, though not flashy, is stable enough.

What we really needed was a shooting guard that can get into the heart of the defense. A lot of posters have said this, so it's not something new. Heck, even when TJ was traded and we re-signed Calderon, a lot of posters said that we now needed a slashing SG to compensate for Calderon's play.

We are not general managers, but we follow this team religiously, and if we are seeing certain things clearly, why isn't our management team?
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#24 » by 5DOM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:40 pm

well we can't get a star SG now...
and i dont think many of them were available before the trade deadline either.
i guess vc was available but his contract and history with us probably made it hard for us to trade for him. im sure BC knows that we need a SG, but we have no real assets
bigtime105
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#25 » by bigtime105 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Why not just trade our stiff Bargnani for a real big man instead?
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#26 » by lemondrop » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:59 pm

supersub15 wrote:
lemondrop wrote:Well in reality you can't have it all. While I agree we desperately need a SG, a star level one most of you guys here on realgm once said we needed a real center for CB4, we got one and it failed. Most of you then said we needed a real SF and we got one now in Marion and it to so far is failing.

I wasn't worried about the SF position, as we already had a poor-man Marion and a suddenly-blossoming Graham at that position, with a decent backup in Kapono.

What we really needed was a shooting guard that can get into the heart of the defense. A lot of posters have said this, so it's not something new. Heck, even when TJ was traded and we re-signed Calderon, a lot of posters said that we now needed a slashing SG to compensate for Calderon's play.

We are not general managers, but we follow this team religiously, and if we are seeing certain things clearly, why isn't our management team?

We need alot of things to compensate for Calderon's play, a slasher yes but also a player capable of guarding his man and Jose's as well, yes impossible which is why Jose is not stable at all.

Im not so sure we as fans me included are seeing things clearly, I mean we cried to put people around Bosh, from pg's, to centers, to sf's Bryan has tried vertually every combination us fans wanted but the sg position and it has all failed. Over the last few years I have actually thought Bryan has catered to what the majority of fans have called for and that imo should never happen. From the Jose fan fav over TJ, to needing a center, to needing a sf every single position the majority of raptor fans wanted to see improve they got. Problem is to get you have to give wether that be a player or cap space and it always leaves a hole some where else.

What you want I think is a good enough core to mask any weaknesses others may have and right now we are asking other players to mask our cores weaknesses and that imo is never going to work.
Morena R
Analyst
Location: Born in Santo Dominigo,Dominican Rep, But I Go To School In Toronto

Post#27 » by Morena R » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:02 pm

I'm starting to think BC has no plan.
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#28 » by lemondrop » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:08 pm

bigtime105 wrote:Why not just trade our stiff Bargnani for a real big man instead?

Well if he is a stiff like you suggest then how do you expect to get a real big man and why do we want another real big man when we just seen one fail in Jermaine O'neil?

You want to change the make up of this team and shift the focus to talented guard or wing play you have to rebuild and that starts with Chris Bosh and Jose being traded. They are both decent enough assests to get back some young talented players and draft picks and rebuild the proper way. Unfortunely as time goes on Bosh becomes worth less because of his expiring contract and Jose becomes less because he is being absolutely exposed. This summer's decisions are crucial to our future and if it continues down the current path im hoping all three of Bosh-Jose-Bargnani are gone. Again imo you can't have role players masking the core's weaknesses, your core should be masking the role players weaknesses.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 586

Post#29 » by timdunkit » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:09 pm

supersub15 wrote:

The only way to replace the lack of creativity in the backcourt was to trade the guys with real value ... Jose, AB, or Bosh - one of them needed to go but BC didn't do it ... Most NBA backcourts have one guy who can is creative playmaker, while the other is a shooter/makes smart decisions and brings the ball up that kinda of thing. i.e. JJ/ bibby, Kobe/Dfish, BRoy/Blake ... we have Jose but without giving up CB/AB we can't get him that leading wing he needs, on the other hand getting a side kick pg like Jose is not that hard (though he probably won't come close to the efficiency of Mr Calderon). BC should have sold Jose and Andrea while there values were high ... well one of them
kelso
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#30 » by kelso » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Guy Smiley wrote:Who doesn't like a big man that can spread the floor like Antoine? The guy is not shy about firing up 3's and this would allow Bosh to work down low in the post. How could the opponent guard this one two combo? Bosh working the lane and Antoine chucking away.

I love watching big's that can hit 3's. If only Antoine was a few inches taller then we could throw him in as our starting 7 foot centre with an outside weapon that would be the envy of the league.

You're being facetious, aren't you....

Walker would take shot attempts away from Kapono and we can't afford to have that happen....
youngLion
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#31 » by youngLion » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:17 pm

supersub15 wrote:

It's true that the Raptors have needed a two more than a three for a while, but I think it's pretty absurd to assume that Colangelo doesn't realize this need. Everyone in the league knows it. Unfortunately I don't think there were many of those guys out there available for trade. The two that come to mind are Mike Miller and Rashad McCants, but I don't think the Raptors had the pieces to get either. I'm sure there are a couple of other guys who could have been had, and I don't doubt that Colangelo made inquiries about them. The point that I'm trying to make is that identifying a need is a heck of a lot easier than filling it.

I think that in the offseason Colangelo will find a shooting guard with a handle and then the team will have one more go at making a deep run in the playoffs with Bosh, and depending how that goes the whole situation will have to be reevaluated.

I'm getting off topic, but here's my point: don't worry that Colangelo is blind to the problems we complain about every day. He sees them, and the coaches see them. It's impossible not to.
seanied
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#32 » by seanied » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:28 pm

Something inside me says to still have faith in BC, that regression is part of the GM cycle, just like the inevitable recovery that will lead to a flourishing Raptor team and a championship in 2012. But then I think of that patient in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest who appeared to be a psychiatrist until we saw the patient walk away and the open-backed hospital gown. Has anyone actually seen BC from behind?
Jules Henri Poincaré wrote:A pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by supersub15 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:38 pm

seanied wrote:Something inside me says to still have faith in BC, that regression is part of the GM cycle, just like the inevitable recovery that will lead to a flourishing Raptor team and a championship in 2012. But then I think of that patient in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest who appeared to be a psychiatrist until we saw the patient walk away and the open-backed hospital gown. Has anyone actually seen BC from behind?

We get pick #2 in the draft and take Harden, sign Delfino / Rasho / Graham, trade Kapono for a bag of peanuts, and trade Bargnani for Andris Biedrins.

Calderon / Ukic / Banks
Harden / Delfino
Marion / Graham
Bosh / Humphries / Jawai
Biedrins / Rasho / O'Bryant

I'm hoping we lose every game from here until the end of the season. :pray:
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#34 » by Volcano » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:47 pm

BC wants Bargnani to learn from him...this is how you shoot low percentage 3's!
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#35 » by Ted Lasso » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:48 pm

supersub15 wrote:
seanied wrote:Something inside me says to still have faith in BC, that regression is part of the GM cycle, just like the inevitable recovery that will lead to a flourishing Raptor team and a championship in 2012. But then I think of that patient in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest who appeared to be a psychiatrist until we saw the patient walk away and the open-backed hospital gown. Has anyone actually seen BC from behind?

We get pick #2 in the draft and take Harden, sign Delfino / Rasho / Graham, trade Kapono for a bag of peanuts, and trade Bargnani for Andris Biedrins.

Calderon / Ukic / Banks
Harden / Delfino
Marion / Graham
Bosh / Humphries / Jawai
Biedrins / Rasho / O'Bryant

I'm hoping we lose every game from here until the end of the season. :pray:

I think an extension is far likelier than a trade for Bargnani. I just don't think Bryan will trade him. Did you listen to him on the Fan with Jack the other day?

Other than that, throw Printezis in there and that's about our team next year. Depending on whether we can get rid of Kapono and where the luxury tax comes in, we could even re-sign Parker. Though it is debatable whether AP deserves that at this point.
seanied
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#36 » by seanied » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:01 pm

supersub15 wrote:trade Kapono for a bag of peanuts

Doesn't work in the trade checker. Maybe a box of Almas caviar and some Cohiba Behike cigars plus a pick.
Jules Henri Poincaré wrote:A pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#37 » by Hendrix » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:01 pm

The fact that BC would even consider this kind of scares me.

I just want to know what diection we're heading with this team. I honestly have no idea.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#38 » by gangstaff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Because there are no 4's!!!

Toine strikes me as a BC type of guy.
roflmfao
Sophomore

Post#39 » by roflmfao » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Dion Glover and Rod Strickland anyone?
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#40 » by YogiStewart » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:15 pm

youngLion wrote:
C_Money wrote:I loved that 03-04 season. We had new players just about every week LOL.

Corey Blount FTW!

i think that was the season when Omar Cook took out Frye and blew his knee.
great memories

Return to Toronto Raptors