ImageImageImageImageImage

Edey @ #32?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Should Raps target Zac Edey @ #32

Yes
54%
No
28%
Maybe
18%

Total votes: 120

Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Re: Edey @ #32? 

Post#221 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:53 am

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Actually, Edey's played less at this stage.

And accomplished more

He's like Siakam, he started late.

No way, Siakam was never CPOY
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#222 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:55 am

mtcan wrote:Just found out Zach started playing organized basketball as a sophomore in high school. Prior to that, he played hockey and baseball. That clinches it. He's definitely a Masai-type of draft candidate.

He won't get as much paint touches as a pro but he'll be able to make what he gets. He'll help with rebounding especially offensive rebounding.

I think between the time at the end of the college season and draft season, he will have added some shooting...or at least glimpses of it. I think scouts will be surprised by the shooting at workouts and Edey will move up the board.

I look at Edey and compare to Christian Koloko's last season at Arizona. By every metric except for shot blocking, Zach has Koloko beat. And even with shot blocking...Zach averaged 2.5 bpg this season and Koloko at his best averaged 2.8 bpg.

Hometown kid, good kid from what it sounds like, started playing basketball late...tall boy (really tall boy)...yup...he is someone Masai would draft.

Jay Bilas notices some improvement on his mobility from last season...so I think people see his post-dominant game and think he's not agile...and I think he will prove people wrong by draft workout season.

He has another step to take being a late bloomer. Being a former multi-sport athlete bodes well for his ability to pick up new things at the next level.

The realization next year when some of you guys realize what he is gonna be a rough one, but let’s hope that it happens elsewhere.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,568

Post#223 » by mtcan » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:58 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
mtcan wrote:Just found out Zach started playing organized basketball as a sophomore in high school. Prior to that, he played hockey and baseball. That clinches it. He's definitely a Masai-type of draft candidate.

He won't get as much paint touches as a pro but he'll be able to make what he gets. He'll help with rebounding especially offensive rebounding.

I think between the time at the end of the college season and draft season, he will have added some shooting...or at least glimpses of it. I think scouts will be surprised by the shooting at workouts and Edey will move up the board.

I look at Edey and compare to Christian Koloko's last season at Arizona. By every metric except for shot blocking, Zach has Koloko beat. And even with shot blocking...Zach averaged 2.5 bpg this season and Koloko at his best averaged 2.8 bpg.

Hometown kid, good kid from what it sounds like, started playing basketball late...tall boy (really tall boy)...yup...he is someone Masai would draft.

Jay Bilas notices some improvement on his mobility from last season...so I think people see his post-dominant game and think he's not agile...and I think he will prove people wrong by draft workout season.

He has another step to take being a late bloomer. Being a former multi-sport athlete bodes well for his ability to pick up new things at the next level.

The realization next year when some of you guys realize what he is gonna be a rough one, but let’s hope that it happens elsewhere.

I don't have him in the lottery so if he goes mid-first to early-second...that's fine.

I think we got a lot of these takes about Gradey back in December. People around here don't make the best or longest-lasting takes...so that's about right.

Purdue is in the final 4...largely because of Edey. That speaks to his improvement as a player and his ability to perform in big game situations. He's more than what some people would like to pigeon hole him into.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#224 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:00 am

mtcan wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

I don't have him in the lottery so if he goes mid-first to early-second...that's fine.

I think we got a lot of these takes about Gradey back in December. People around here don't make the best or longest-lasting takes...so that's about right.

No clue what Gradey Dick has to do with Zach Edey not having anywhere close to the mobility or athleticsm to be a meaningful player in the NBA, but I’ve always liked that pick. Shooters/spacers of his quality are always of use in the modern NBA and it was just a matter of time until the shots fell for him.

Edey would have made a good pick in 1995 though.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#225 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:04 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:And accomplished more

He's like Siakam, he started late.

I'm not suggesting that. Most of these guys are identified by the third grade. It's considered late if you're identified in high school, like here.
mtcan
RealGM

Post#226 » by mtcan » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:05 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
mtcan wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:The realization next year when some of you guys realize what he is gonna be a rough one, but let’s hope that it happens elsewhere.

No clue what Gradey Dick has to do with Zach Edey not having anywhere close to the mobility or athleticsm to be a meaningful player in the NBA, but I’ve always liked that pick. Shooters/spacers of his quality are always of use in the modern NBA and it was just a matter of time until the shots fell for him.

I think this is a bit overstated. He isn't slow and he moves pretty fluidly for a guy his size. He's not Wemby but he's not Taako Fall or Boban. There's no comparison except for their height. If you really watch basketball...Zach moves so much more fluidly. Zach has touch around the basket. There is no reason to believe that he can't add even a mid-range jumper, let alone an occasional 3 pointer.

The time between end of college season until NBA workouts is when guys add to their games or correct the criticisms and there is no way he isn't aware that he has to add shooting and maybe slim down a few pounds to improve his athleticism.

We saw Scottie shoot up draft boards by the time workouts came along and I think he made it a thing to point out how scouts were wrong about his lack of shooting during the pre-draft process. We also saw Keyonte George surprise everyone coming to the league leaner and a better scorer.

But my feeling is that by the end of the NCAA Tournament and by draft workout time...Zach will likely be a late-lottery to early-20s pick. Heck...doesn't Jonathan Givony have Edey in the lottery in his latest mock?
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,109

Post#227 » by WaltFrazier » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:48 am

Will he play on the Olympic team like last summer or train for the NBA? I hope he plays, that's good training too
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#228 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:56 am

mtcan wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
mtcan wrote:I don't have him in the lottery so if he goes mid-first to early-second...that's fine.

I think this is a bit overstated. He isn't slow and he moves pretty fluidly for a guy his size.

He’s one of the worst lateral movers in the entirety of college basketball, but you think it is overstated when talking about him as any sort of NBA prospect?

As I said, next year is gonna be rough for some of you when teams just play him off the floor again and again and again on simple ball screens.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#229 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:59 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:He's like Siakam, he started late.

I'm not suggesting that. Most of these guys are identified by the third grade. It's considered late if you're identified in high school, like here.

I am. Siakam is nothing compared to this guy in terms of college production and accomplishments.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,848

Post#230 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:55 am

Is he gonna be like Kessler? I mean you take that and run at 32. Poeltl/KO/Edey is a pretty nice C rotation that allows mix and match for different scenarios
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,914

Post#231 » by Thaddy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:00 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:Is he gonna be like Kessler? I mean you take that and run at 32. Poeltl/KO/Edey is a pretty nice C rotation that allows mix and match for different scenarios

I would compare Edey to a less skilled and bigger Luke Garza.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,179

Post#232 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:15 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Is he gonna be like Kessler? I mean you take that and run at 32. Poeltl/KO/Edey is a pretty nice C rotation that allows mix and match for different scenarios

#32 is no longer on the table. Edey's value has shot up. It remains to be seen if we can even draft him with the Pacers' pick. I've even seen it suggested (by fools) that we take him with the top 6 pick if we keep it.
mtcan
RealGM

Post#233 » by mtcan » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:24 pm

Edey's now mocked in the late lottery by Givony and KOC. I'm thinking he slides to the 15-20 range and that's probably right for him.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#234 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:35 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

#32 is no longer on the table. Edey's value has shot up. It remains to be seen if we can even draft him with the Pacers' pick. I've even seen it suggested (by fools) that we take him with the top 6 pick if we keep it.

If you think he's the best player, you take him. It's that simple.

You don't want to be the guy who drafts Nerlens Noel at 6, because you think it's too early for Giannis.
Snowwy
Junior
And1: 209

Post#235 » by Snowwy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:52 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

You don't want to be the guy who drafts Nerlens Noel at 6, because you think it's too early for Giannis.

Oh boy.. first comparison of Eddy to Giannis?
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#236 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:55 pm

Snowwy wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

It's not, it's just an understanding that this draft is flat and he's probably the best player in it.
Snowwy
Junior

Post#237 » by Snowwy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:25 pm

Snowwy wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:If you think he's the best player, you take him. It's that simple.

It's not, it's just an understanding that this draft is flat and he's probably the best player in it.

Edey is the best player in the draft? Wow, that's a take. Let me know, did you watch him play against men last summer in the Olympic qualifiers? He was unplayable and will be unplayable in the NBA on the defensive end in most games
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#238 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:38 pm

Snowwy wrote:
Snowwy wrote:Oh boy.. first comparison of Eddy to Giannis?

Edey is the best player in the draft? Wow, that's a take. Let me know, did you watch him play against men last summer in the Olympic qualifiers? He was unplayable and will be unplayable in the NBA on the defensive end in most games

How do you deny him if they go all the way. He's dragging Perdue.
Snowwy
Junior

Post#239 » by Snowwy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:45 pm

Snowwy wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:It's not, it's just an understanding that this draft is flat and he's probably the best player in it.

It's college basketball. The rules, skill level and court are different. He is the best college basketball player, no one denies that. Just like Oscar Tshiebwe and Luke Garza before him. These guys do not translate to the NBA.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM

Post#240 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:47 pm

Snowwy wrote:
Snowwy wrote:Edey is the best player in the draft? Wow, that's a take. Let me know, did you watch him play against men last summer in the Olympic qualifiers? He was unplayable and will be unplayable in the NBA on the defensive end in most games

It's college basketball. The rules, skill level and court are different.

How so? Dominant bigs win in the NBA, it's not different.

It's just been a long time since we've seen a guy like this.

Return to Toronto Raptors