ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors record prediction for 23-24

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,555

Re: Raptors record prediction for 23-24 

Post#41 » by Rapsfan07 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:39 pm

As is? I don't think we're cracking 40 wins.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,798
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#42 » by Boogie! » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:40 pm

mademan wrote:We gonna find out that FVV, while annoying and grating on the nerves, is actually a good player. And his replacement is not. If no trades are made and we go in as is, i'd be surprised if we broke 37 wins. East is getting more competitive by the day, and the only 2 teams we're clearly better than are the Pistons and Wiz.

over/under at 36.5 is actually a perfect line. Im not sure if i'd go over or under

Basketball isn't played 1v1. Just because Schroder doesn't replicate him talent wise doesn't mean the team doesn't get better as a whole.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,992

Post#43 » by nikster » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:46 pm

Boogie! wrote:
mademan wrote:We gonna find out that FVV, while annoying and grating on the nerves, is actually a good player. And his replacement is not. If no trades are made and we go in as is, i'd be surprised if we broke 37 wins. East is getting more competitive by the day, and the only 2 teams we're clearly better than are the Pistons and Wiz.

over/under at 36.5 is actually a perfect line. Im not sure if i'd go over or under

Basketball isn't played 1v1. Just because Schroder doesn't replicate him talent wise doesn't mean the team doesn't get better as a whole.

Yeah there's a few other factors. New coach, Poeltl for a whole season, depth will be much better. And the team last year completely fell apart in December in a way I don't think would be replicated.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,262

Post#44 » by pingpongrac » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:47 pm

This team has a pretty mediocre floor (35-ish wins), but there are a lot of internal variables that could swing things in our favour.

1. I think Nurse is a top 3 coach with a contending roster, but his schemes and reliance on the top end of the roster coupled with his inability to call timeouts or challenges at the right time started to really rub me the wrong way last season. As the season rode along, it seemed increasingly clear that players were starting to turn Nurse out and he himself was checked out. Darko's ball and player movement philosophy could unlock something in our offence (which was actually pretty average over the past few seasons all things considered) despite the lack of outside shooting.

2. We weren't a very healthy team last year and we weren't a very unhealthy team either, but we rarely had our top 7 or 8 available and OPJ missed almost the entire season. Because of this, we had to rely on guys like Thad and Juancho starting for us which led to our already bad bench being even worse. With the additions of Schroder/Gradey/McDaniels and hopefully a healthier OPJ, our depth looks a heck of a lot better – even with some question marks.

3. Scottie had an underwhelming sophomore season and Achiuwa took a step back in his 3rd season, but I am expecting both of them to have bounceback seasons. Scottie in particular has the ability to boost our projected win total by 5+ games if he comes into the year with a chip on his shoulder as well as an improved handle and outside shot.

4. FVV is a big loss, but his departure opens up opportunities for some of the younger players. If a couple of the bench players (Achiuwa/Koloko and Flynn/Dowtin) make a bit of a leap while Scottie/OG/GTJ produce more offensively with more usage, it may not even be a loss in the end. Ideally, Schroder stabilizes our shaky bench a bit too.

All of the above is under the assumption that Siakam is still with the team next season. If he is traded for parts (salary filler + prospects/picks), we likely win 30-35 games.

This roster still needs a dynamic guard that can pass, get into the paint and shoot, but I'm pretty satisfied with how the offseason has gone thus far. I'm not necessarily expecting a 50-win season, but it wouldn't surprise me if we were competing for a top 4 seed by the end of the season. There is a lot of doom and gloom going on around these parts lately, but a starting lineup of Scottie/GTJ/OG/Siakam/Poeltl with an improved bench looks pretty comparable to what teams like the Cavs/Knicks/Hawks/Heat (currently) will be trotting out. There is the potential of a team like Indiana or Orlando making a leap, but it is also likely that teams like Brooklyn and Chicago are worse.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,177

Post#45 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:53 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:46wins

- Health + New coach + New vibes + New Offense - Better defense because the subtraction of FVV + addition of McDaniels + more quality depth + I'm hoping for better production from 3 with OPJ n GD

Good optimism. Lots of positive changes, assuming Pascal stays. And some addition by subtraction
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,724

Post#46 » by mademan » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:56 pm

Boogie! wrote:

ya, which u might have a point if we got a better fit. Im not seeing him as a better fit at all, and the same problems we had last year we still have (on ball creation, shooting, depth).

And again, the East isnt staying static. Teams like Orlando and Indiana got better and are looking to overtake us
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,338

Post#47 » by Zeno » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:58 pm

37 wins right now.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#48 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:09 pm

30'ish wins. Under 500
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,940

Post#49 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:17 pm

If everything goes according to the plan and strategic direction of the HO I will say 82-0. If there are unforseen circumstances then I'd use this formula. Failure to extend Paskal remove 10 wins. An injury to any of our big three of Scottie, Grade-E or Pac 12 Poetl, subtract another 10 wins. If signicant trade occurs shaking up the roster subtract 10 more wins. If there is any more mental gymnastics from the Paskal camp like I am no longer doing team bonding exercises delete another ten wins. Added all up that is 40 wins off the top. Equals perfect storm 42 wins.

42-40. Team Swag.
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,669

Post#50 » by Mr Funk » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:20 pm

50-32

pingpongrac wrote:This roster still needs a dynamic guard that can pass, get into the paint and shoot

Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,005

Post#51 » by Los_29 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 pm

mademan wrote:
Boogie! wrote:

ya, which u might have a point if we got a better fit. Im not seeing him as a better fit at all, and the same problems we had last year we still have (on ball creation, shooting, depth).

And again, the East isnt staying static. Teams like Orlando and Indiana got better and are looking to overtake us

I think that's a big factor. Although Orlando didn't necessarily add any proven players, they did add two lottery picks and they have a better crop of prospects. Indiana did get better and they also have young prospects that should make another leap. The teams ahead of us either got better or stayed the same and we got noticeably worse replacing Fred with Schroder.

There are paths for this team to have a good season but that would involve some major leaps from guys like Scottie and our guys remaining healthy.
Mikey Streetz
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#52 » by Mikey Streetz » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:47 pm

52-30
Alodar
Senior
And1: 487

Post#53 » by Alodar » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:02 pm

Pessimistically speaking it may take about 20 games for Darko's coaching schemes to set in so the pessimist in me says 52 wins which is probably only good for 4th in the east.

The optimist in me however sees a much better season so I'm going to go for 62 wins and first in the East.

Let's go Raptors!!!
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,312

Post#54 » by raptorstime » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:03 pm

mid 40 win team. I'll go with 45-37.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,685

Post#55 » by Scase » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:06 pm

With Siakam, .500 record at best.
Props TZ!
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,627

Post#56 » by oldncreaky » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:29 pm

Assuming no more major moves i.e. no Pascal trade . . .

It's all about Scottie, particularly how Scottie does as PG leading the obvious starting line-up of Poeltl/Siakam/OG/Trent/Barnes

I have no idea how Scottie will do when he's handed the ball, so anything is possible. Too much size and talent to fall below 30 wins. Too little shooting and guard play to win over 50. Somewhere in that wiiiide range.

At least we'll get a good look at whether Scottie is worth a max extension or not.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
rocky_da_best
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,869

Post#57 » by rocky_da_best » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:50 pm

Should add a poll
rocky_da_best
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,869

Post#58 » by rocky_da_best » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:51 pm

32-50. We suck lol
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,185

Post#59 » by billy_hoyle » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:54 pm

Man. I can't remember a year where I was this all over the place with my prediction. I honestly have no idea.
- I think we underachieved last year
- New coach
- lose FVV
- gain Schroeder (who is sort of an enigma to me)
- Scottie third year leap? Scottie PG?

The Yak Siakam OG frontline is 0.500 good.
If the other players step up and improve we have some runway. Injuries to OG/Siakam and we might be a 0.300 team.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#60 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:55 pm

My prediction is with Pascal moving on. In terms of player return, I don’t think it will be a starter, so I’m not considering it much other than maybe an uptick in shooting off bench. Unless Scottie is an all star next year - I think we’ll struggle.

Return to Toronto Raptors