ImageImageImageImageImage

MLSE Announces Scotiabank Renovations

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,667

Re: MLSE Announces Scotiabank Renovations 

Post#41 » by Mr Funk » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:04 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:I live in the country and use a small local ISP which has crappy connectivity (2-3mb down max). Bell knocked on my door last week and offered me 30mb downstream guaranteed at the same price, and tons of cable for 10 bucks more. I haven't had cable in a decade but I was tempted. HD Raps! Almost did it too. Then I thought to myself - am I actually unhappy with my measly 3 megs? Not really. Do i want to voluntarily sign back up with Bell? At that point the answer was clear - no freaking way. I hated being their customer. So I said no and will keep watching decent but sometimes choppy streams on my laptop. It ain't 4K but I'm happy with the peace of mind my choice is bringing me.

I've been enduring Bell's non-fibre optic WiFi for years and it's pretty bad: you regularly experience lag spikes and overall just mediocre internet service which sometimes reminds you of 90s dial up (streaming TV is generally fine but sometimes it will momentarily become pixelated; mulitplayer video games are unplayabe without WiFi boosters, though I prefer single player open worlds). Bell have been saying for ages that my old neighbourhood will eventually have fibre internet, yet the waiting continues. Regardless your small local ISP isn't too far off from what Bell currently provides and somehow is probably better :lol:
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,654

Post#42 » by polo007 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,659

Post#43 » by Red_Claw » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:13 pm

Maybe a weird take, but i hope they tailor the upgrades to support an WNBA team. Why they haven't decided to give Canada a team yet is beyond me.

WNBA would go to another level if they got the support of a country that appreciates it.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,308

Post#44 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:36 pm

Red_Claw wrote:Maybe a weird take, but i hope they tailor the upgrades to support an WNBA team. Why they haven't decided to give Canada a team yet is beyond me.

WNBA would go to another level if they got the support of a country that appreciates it.

'
MLSE just nixed the idea of getting one.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,006
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#45 » by will » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:08 pm

G_Misconduct wrote:Was there on Sunday for Nas/Wu-Tang/De La Soul

One weird thing is they take your can of beer and pour it into a metal cup for some reason now. Really bizarre, really wasteful. Would make sense for draft I guess but lol. Kind of a head scratcher

It's 1994 all over again.

Hell, that show on Sunday was probably fire with our middle aged rap heroes.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,887

Post#46 » by WuTang_OG » Tue May 14, 2024 5:58 pm

Read on Twitter
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,717

Post#47 » by Psubs » Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 pm

We're paying for it with rising ticket prices, despite the 6th worst record in the league. :banghead:
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,176

Post#48 » by Huskies1947 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

Going from Lieweke to Pelley is so depressing. Pelley is the quintessenial canadian sports dude who still thinks Hockey is anyting but a niche sport. We are in for hard times in Toronto as this guy tries to break the curse of the leafs for the 50+ year old demographics.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,995

Post#49 » by wegotthabeet » Tue May 14, 2024 6:17 pm

they should invest in better lighting. one of worst lit arenas in the league. watch any game at MSG or crypto.com for comparison.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,329

Post#50 » by MiamiSPX » Tue May 14, 2024 6:23 pm

The article from that Tweet is a little misleading when it says the Leafs are the most valuable NHL franchise and the Raptors are the 10th most valuable. While that is indeed true, it doesn't mention that the Raptors are more valuable than the Leafs and the gap is only widening every year, due in large part to the TV contract......and this latest one is a doozy.

The best way to attract FAs is to build such a strong contender that it will make some guys overlook the weather. Simple as that. Tons of guys have talked about how good the Raptors treat their players and it hasn't made a lick of a difference in free agency.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,887

Post#51 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 14, 2024 6:26 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:The article from that Tweet is a little misleading when it says the Leafs are the most valuable NHL franchise and the Raptors are the 10th most valuable. While that is indeed true, it doesn't mention that the Raptors are more valuable than the Leafs and the gap is only widening every year, due in large part to the TV contract......and this latest one is a doozy.

The best way to attract FAs is to build such a strong contender that it will make some guys overlook the weather. Simple as that. Tons of guys have talked about how good the Raptors treat their players and it hasn't made a lick of a difference in free agency.

Forbes has them at:

Raptors: 4.1 billiom
Leafs: 2.8 billion
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,878

Post#52 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue May 14, 2024 6:34 pm

That's an increase in CapEx for all y'all beancounters
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,302

Post#53 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:34 pm

$350M is a lot of money if they aren't even going to replace the seats and stuff. At least Rogers Center had some very nice significant changes to the stadium.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,423

Post#54 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 14, 2024 6:39 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't think some renovations will make any significant difference. Draft your own players. Free agency impact has been reduced recently in both leagues.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#55 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 14, 2024 6:42 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:The article from that Tweet is a little misleading when it says the Leafs are the most valuable NHL franchise and the Raptors are the 10th most valuable. While that is indeed true, it doesn't mention that the Raptors are more valuable than the Leafs and the gap is only widening every year, due in large part to the TV contract......and this latest one is a doozy.

Raps generate more revenue from league in US TV deal and international markets. Leafs likely generate more domestically. I've seen Forbes valuation model parameters and it's very basic. Any comprehensive valuation would take time and be expensive.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#56 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 14, 2024 6:46 pm

Revenue is not nearly as important as the potential growth of franchise value and the overall strength of the league when it comes to sports teams. If the Raps went on the market they'd sell for more than the Leafs because the NBA is a stronger league, with bigger revenue streams and it just has a lot more growth potential domestically and abroad.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#57 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 14, 2024 6:49 pm

Cash flow is king. That's why they'll won't get Knicks valuation correct either.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#58 » by OakleyDokely » Tue May 14, 2024 6:56 pm

Billionaires don't buy sports teams for cash flow.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,424

Post#59 » by JB7 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I get it. Message is clear. Don't pay attention to the product on the ice or floor, just enjoy the socializing. The SkyDome is exactly that now. The outfield is just a club/bar environment, where you can look over at the game if you are bored with your conversation.

I got a package of cheap tickets to the Jays games this year, and for the few games I have gone too, I spend 90% of the time at the game with my son, not actually watching or paying attention to the game, but playing the games that are in those areas with him.

It is a strategy that will only work while it feels new, but that will wear off quickly.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,392

Post#60 » by YogurtProducer » Tue May 14, 2024 7:26 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Billionaires don't buy sports teams for cash flow.

Danger took economics 100 okay, give him some credit.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023

Return to Toronto Raptors