ImageImageImageImageImage

taking advantage of perceived weak draft

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 663

Re: taking advantage of perceived weak draft 

Post#41 » by BilboBanginz » Mon May 13, 2024 6:04 pm

Trade 19 & 31 to jump into the 10-14 range and grab Devin Carter. He is not getting past Miami at 15.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#42 » by Ell Curry » Mon May 13, 2024 6:31 pm

mdenny wrote:The way to take advantage of a weak draft is to opt for volume (quantity) rather than draft position (quality).

Especially given the rookie contract commitments. Better off spreading those commitments out.

Look for teams seeking to trade down *ie trade the 8th overall for the 14th and 18th type of thing.

The weaker the draft, the less important the draft position.

Maybe Knicks would do 24 + 25 for 19 if they see a guy they really like and they keep everyone?

Hartenstein, Robinson, Sims
Randle, Precious
OG, Hart
DDV, Bogdanovic
Brunson, McBride

That's probably 10 guys they're comfortable playing and maybe they don't like the centers available at 24 as projects anymore than Sims. Moving up to 19 if it secures them a wing they like (Bogdanovic old) or they really like Tyler Smith or Da Silva as a PF.
Where's the D?
pbernardi
Junior
And1: 614

Post#43 » by pbernardi » Mon May 13, 2024 6:53 pm

The only viable path I see is checking if someone bites on Bruce Brown for a pick. Nuggets would do I guess, but I am not sure if we want another late pick of this draft.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#44 » by Pointgod » Mon May 13, 2024 7:08 pm

will wrote:
Pointgod wrote:We can take advantage of a weak draft by just buying picks or leveraging our capspace to get a pick. This is what smart teams do.

What assets do the Raptors have besides Barnes and RJ? Assuming Immanuel resigns.

Maasai can always deal the 2025 FRP :lol:

Our capspace is our biggest asset since we punted on trading Brown at the deadline. There are a couple teams with multiple picks in this draft:

Utah (hilarious if we got back the pick we traded then), Wizards, Knicks, San Antonio, Portland, New Orleans. I guarantee you one of these teams is going to trade their late pick.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,999
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#45 » by will » Mon May 13, 2024 7:19 pm

Pointgod wrote:
will wrote:
Pointgod wrote:We can take advantage of a weak draft by just buying picks or leveraging our capspace to get a pick. This is what smart teams do.

What assets do the Raptors have besides Barnes and RJ? Assuming Immanuel resigns.

Our capspace is our biggest asset since we punted on trading Brown at the deadline. There are a couple teams with multiple picks in this draft:

Utah (hilarious if we got back the pick we traded then), Wizards, Knicks, San Antonio, Portland, New Orleans. I guarantee you one of these teams is going to trade their late pick.

Cap space for what? :lol:
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,285

Post#46 » by Chandan » Tue May 14, 2024 3:06 am

we can take advantage of this weak draft by drafting the strongest of the weak declarees! You know, with a high pick!
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,756

Post#47 » by srhcan » Tue May 14, 2024 3:08 pm

nivisi9 wrote:Is there a way we might be able to take advantage of this perceived weak draft?

could Masai say-- attempt trading 2025 IND 1st pick for a top 12 pick in this draft? Like for a falling prospect? (ex. Cody Williams, Collier, Risacher etc.)

Might another team prefer a 2025 1st round pick instead of paying high salary to a prospect in this historically weak draft?

Could we exploit these aspects + our cap space + flexibility

We will need to get creative regardless.

What are some ways we may take advantage of where we are now + historically weak perception of this draft?

Houston's #3 pick is available for an experienced player. Will they be interested in Poetl, GTJ, Brown, Olynyk or Boucher?
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,416

Post#48 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 14, 2024 3:12 pm

srhcan wrote:
nivisi9 wrote:Is there a way we might be able to take advantage of this perceived weak draft?

could Masai say-- attempt trading 2025 IND 1st pick for a top 12 pick in this draft? Like for a falling prospect? (ex. Cody Williams, Collier, Risacher etc.)

Might another team prefer a 2025 1st round pick instead of paying high salary to a prospect in this historically weak draft?

What are some ways we may take advantage of where we are now + historically weak perception of this draft?

Houston's #3 pick is available for an experienced player. Will they be interested in Poetl, GT, Brown or Boucher?

If Masai can get 3rd overall pick in this draft for Boucher, I will take back every bad word I said about him.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,756

Post#49 » by srhcan » Tue May 14, 2024 3:14 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
srhcan wrote:

Houston's #3 pick is available for an experienced player. Will they be interested in Poetl, GT, Brown or Boucher?

If Masai can get 3rd overall pick in this draft for Boucher, I will take back every bad word I said about him.

:lol: it will definitely be some type of combination
gpoon
Pro Prospect
And1: 717

Post#50 » by gpoon » Tue May 14, 2024 4:48 pm

Maybe was good we conveyed the pick, seems to be a lot of rumors that teams drafting high are all looking to trade it.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,097

Post#51 » by mihaic » Wed May 15, 2024 7:25 am

will wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
will wrote:

Absorbing a bad contract via Brown expiry should net a 1st.

I think we probably never did that kind of trade to get a pick in Raps history. Okc, Utah usually do it.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#52 » by mdenny » Wed May 15, 2024 9:21 am

This board is overrun with morons lol

"It's a weak draft...now is the chance to trade up!"

Such an opportunity is enticing because these morons view draft picks as abstractions instead of individual basketball players until they get picked.

And noone is harsher on young prospects who fail to become stars than the morons who over-value draft picks.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,090

Post#53 » by Duffman100 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:29 am

mdenny wrote:This board is overrun with morons lol

Such an opportunity is enticing because these morons view draft picks as abstractions instead of individual basketball players until they get picked.

And noone is harsher on young prospects who fail to become stars than the morons who over-value draft picks.

Please chill on the "morons". It doesn't help facilitate positive interaction.

I do agree. Those that want picks are largely the ones who called Dick a bust after 20 games. Not all though.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#54 » by mdenny » Wed May 15, 2024 9:57 am

Duffman100 wrote:

I do agree. Those that want picks are largely the ones who called Dick a bust after 20 games. Not all though.

Well the morons love to hate on our raptor basketball players who brought the chip to our city. If our beloved players who came through in the clutch ain't some type of sacred than these morons who formed private chatrooms in service of organizing hate campaigns against the players ain't deserving of kiddy hands neither.

I say they are morons not only because they are stupid and igonorant of all things ball. I also use the term "moron" in a derogatory sense because they have actively sought to denigrate our raptor players who deserve so much more respect.

What are we even talking about here? A raptor troll fan segment who STILL propagate online hate for fred and Pascal? I can't call them morons? I call bunk on that.

They are morons. They are haters. They are a disgrace to raptor history.

I don't see knick fans acting like little brats and starting private chatrooms in effort to denigrate the public perception of John starks. And starks never won a chip.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,999
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#55 » by will » Wed May 15, 2024 11:27 am

mihaic wrote:
will wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Absorbing a bad contract via Brown expiry should net a 1st.

I think we probably never did that kind of trade to get a pick in Raps history. Okc, Utah usually do it.

Getting anything back for Bruce Brown will be a victory.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,310

Post#56 » by God Squad » Wed May 15, 2024 12:15 pm

mdenny wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Well the morons love to hate on our raptor basketball players who brought the chip to our city. If our beloved players who came through in the clutch ain't some type of sacred than these morons who formed private chatrooms in service of organizing hate campaigns against the players ain't deserving of kiddy hands neither.

I say they are morons not only because they are stupid and igonorant of all things ball. I also use the term "moron" in a derogatory sense because they have actively sought to denigrate our raptor players who deserve so much more respect.

What are we even talking about here? A raptor troll fan segment who STILL propagate online hate for fred and Pascal? I can't call them morons? I call bunk on that.

I don't see knick fans acting like little brats and starting private chatrooms in effort to denigrate the public perception of John starks. And starks never won a chip.

You either need a Snickers or a nap.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,909

Post#57 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 15, 2024 12:23 pm

Looking at the final lottery draft standings, who might trade their pick? More specifically who might trade with Toronto?

Atlanta - no, no
Washington - no, no
Houston - maybe, maybe
San Antonio - maybe, no
Detroit - maybe, no
Charlotte - no, no
Portland - no, no
San Antonio - maybe, no
Memphis - yes, maybe
Utah - maybe, no
Chicago - maybe, maybe
OKC - maybe, maybe
Sacramento - no, no
Portland - no, no

This is all my opinion, but this leaves Houston, Memphis, Chicago, and OKC.

Houston
why? They are loaded with youth as it is. They are motivated to win with no control over their own draft picks for near future plus they have future Brooklyn picks which is looking to be lottery again in 2025. They are an above cap team and they signed team friendly contracts last summer specifically to have the option to trade or renounce for free agency. Considering it is a weak free agent crop, they might be served hitting the trade market.

the trade with Toronto - no doubt, Toronto will not be their first option to trade with, but unless Mikal Bridges suddenly becomes available, they might get value from the Raptors. Two trade as all the assets don't work in one deal:

Adams for Poeltl
Green, Landale, #3 for Brown

Houston gets 2 solid rotation players and becomes, arguably, one of if not the deepest team in the league. Houston met with Brown in FA last summer and there is a connection with Udoka. Houston adds to the tradeable contracts for a superstar.

Raptors get #3 (Risacher?), a great vet in Green (https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/jeff-green-playing-vital-role-houston-rockets-success-thats-my-duty), and a big body with possibly Adams starting and Landale off the bench. All three of those guys could have some value at the trade deadline.

Memphis
why? The Grizzlies have looming tax issues and no starting C. With Ja hopefully keeping his guns locked in a safe, the Grizzlies are hoping to get back on the 50+ win track.

the trade with Toronto -

Poeltl for Kennard, Clarke, #9

Memphis gets a starting C and is under the tax with about $4M to sign their 12-15 players to minimum contracts.

Raptors get #9, one of the best shooters to surround Scottie with in Kennard, and an energy big off the bench.

Chicago
why? Honestly this seems the least likely of all the unlikely scenarios. But If Chicago wants to move off Lonzo Ball, there is a chance...assuming Toronto wants to eat $20m.

the trade with Toronto -

Either Brown for Ball and #11 OR Boucher and McDaniels for Ball and #11

I don't think this is likely for either team so won't waste time lol

OKC
why? OKC doesn't have a big body. Poeltl allows Chet to roam on D for help side, slides Williams to SF, Dort to SG, and SGA to point. Giddy moves to 6th man or (more likely) traded.

the trade with Toronto -

Poeltl for some combination of Dieng, 2024 #12, 2025 picks

OKC gets a different look for about 25 minutes a game. Chet saves some wear and tear at C.

Raptors get multiple assets and opens up another $14.5-19.5m in cap space.
anj
Bench Warmer
And1: 911

Post#58 » by anj » Wed May 15, 2024 12:31 pm

mdenny wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

We're all really sad that Alice Munro passed away, but please don't take it out on Raptors fans.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,026

Post#59 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed May 15, 2024 12:36 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:Adams for Poeltl

Houston gets 2 solid rotation players and becomes, arguably, one of if not the deepest team in the league. Houston met with Brown in FA last summer and there is a connection with Udoka. Houston adds to the tradeable contracts for a superstar.

Raptors get #3 (Risacher?), a great vet in Green (https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/jeff-green-playing-vital-role-houston-rockets-success-thats-my-duty), and a big body with possibly Adams starting and Landale off the bench. All three of those guys could have some value at the trade deadline.

Brown is going to be traded as salary relief and waived. They will be able to sign him as a FA. Adams is going to be their back-up C, which Poeltl would be in this scenario. This ain't happening.

Memphis
why? The Grizzlies have looming tax issues and no starting C. With Ja hopefully keeping his guns locked in a safe, the Grizzlies are hoping to get back on the 50+ win track.

the trade with Toronto -

Memphis gets a starting C and is under the tax with about $4M to sign their 12-15 players to minimum contracts.

Raptors get #9, one of the best shooters to surround Scottie with in Kennard, and an energy big off the bench.

Seems a little rich as Clarke, when healthy, is a valuable player for them. Not happening.

Chicago
why? Honestly this seems the least likely. But If Chicago wants to move off Lonzo Ball, there is a chance.

the trade with Toronto -

It'd be a high cost for a salary dump.

OKC
why? OKC doesn't have a big body. Poeltl allows Chet to roam on D for help side, slides Williams to SF, Dort to SG, and SGA to point. Giddy moves to 6th man or (more likely) traded.

the trade with Toronto -

OKC gets a different look for about 25 minutes a game. Chet saves some wear and tear at C.

Might have a shot with this one, but I still don't think OKC would make the deal. Frankly, Poeltl had 3 years owed and they will be in cap trouble sooner than later.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,909

Post#60 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed May 15, 2024 1:39 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:Adams for Poeltl

Brown is going to be traded as salary relief and waived. They will be able to sign him as a FA. Adams is going to be their back-up C, which Poeltl would be in this scenario. This ain't happening.

Memphis

the trade with Toronto -

Seems a little rich as Clarke, when healthy, is a valuable player for them. Not happening.

Chicago
why? Honestly this seems the least likely. But If Chicago wants to move off Lonzo Ball, there is a chance.

the trade with Toronto -

It'd be a high cost for a salary dump.

OKC

the trade with Toronto -

Might have a shot with this one, but I still don't think OKC would make the deal. Frankly, Poeltl had 3 years owed and they will be in cap trouble sooner than later.

Rebutals:

Houston: Brown can't be traded as salary relief and then waived. The only way you can trade Brown is to pick up his team option of $23m...unless you're saying he gets $23M and then waived, now that is something that isn't happening. Adams might not be much of a backup if he can't play or is a shell of his former self. Will be interesting to see how his rehab went.

Memphis: Might be rich but Memphis has a tax issue and no starting C. Easy to diss the trade but it is a solution to their problems. Also, Poeltl setting screens for Ja would be creating the same space as Adams did pre-gats.

Chicago: not happening

OKC: Poelt has 2 years and then a player option. With the cap going up 10% a year after next season for the foreseeable future, OKC should be fine. Now if they go out and trade for an all-star, then yes, there is going to be cap issues, but they have their star power in SGA, Chet, and Jalen W. now. I think they focus on acquiring solid/elite role players, which Poeltl is.

Return to Toronto Raptors