ImageImageImageImageImage

Bargs to Mavs Rumour -Hoopsworld (carried by Rotoworld & SI)

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Re: Bargs to Mavs Rumour - Rotoworld 

Post#41 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:39 pm

it's on hoopshype now too, but hoopsworld is still the source...
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#42 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:56 pm

i would love this deal to go down but it wont because why would they want bargnani. Cuban is all about a win now stage he wants veterans that help him win. He traded his young point guard harris for kidd, maybe he does something like this gets AP as a servicable 2 guard. Lets bargnani come off the bench at C and their depth chart would look like.

Kidd/Berea
Parker/Terry
Moon/Williams
Dirk/Bass
Damp/Bargnani

If their rebuilding that doesnt look so bad and if bargnani pans out maybe they let dirk leave and try to go after someone else. The best part about this deal for us is howard expires in 2010. 11 million would come off our books along with JO+Bosh. Thats a huge amount we could sign bosh and someone else for the max and let Diop start at centre. It probally wont happen but it would be pretty great if it did. I hate losing bargnani especially when hes played the way he has but players like howard who defend, rebound and score dont come by often
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,756

Post#43 » by Double Helix » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:05 pm

Howard is the first intriuging SF mentioned for Bargnani. Howard does a lot of the things we lack and 26-year-old Diop, who's averaged only 14 minutes his whole career, would get more opportunity here as a defensive big.

Howard's age isn't even an issue. We'd have him right through his prime years.

And obviously a front court of the following is intimidating as anything in the league:

C - O'neal
PF - Bosh
SF - Howard

You guys all know I'm a Bargnani supporter but if this deal was legit, and I seriously doubt that it is (What would Dallas do with 2 7 footers who play a similar style?) then I wouldn't slam the phone down in disgust.

Say what you want about his attitude, etc but on the court Josh Howard would be a very good fit on the Raptors. This deal has me conflicted though. I had circled Josh Howard as one of the few obtainable SFs in the leauge that could step in and help us right away previously but now I'm a little gunshy.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#44 » by Kabookalu » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:09 pm

I don't think Howard will help us out as much as people think. We need a ball handler and playmaker more than a slasher which from what I've seen isn't Howard's strong suit. We don't need anymore scorers.
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#45 » by A_wildstabatanything » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:19 pm

Colangelo needs to watch this episode of Seinfeld before he makes a trade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjXUgxR4Z10
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#46 » by Anatomize » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:20 pm

Choker: I disagree

I'm actually quite ecstatic with this trade, I love Bargnani and his upside, but for the next few years, this looks like a good deal for us.

Personally, I don't think we would win a championship with Bargnani and Bosh at the helm even with Bargs at his peak because we're going to sorely a lack a good swing man for the next few seasons if we are unable to sign one in 2010 after Jermaine's contract expires.

I like what J-ho brings to our team, he's a pesky defender with active hands, he has a really good mid range/slashing game, and he drives to the hole, he's also a very solid rebounder for his position and a good all around teammate, a lot of people say he's overrated but I think he's underrated because he's had to take a back to seat to Terry and Nowitzki's scoring in a half court offense which features Isoing on the block only.

The overlooked aspect of this trade is that we're getting a very good defensive big man in Diop (see Diop vs Duncan in the playoffs during Dallas's run to the finals, he's a very good shot blocker and man to man defender, also good positional rebounding but racks up fouls quickly). We're also getting Antoine Wright, he's shown in limited minutes this year he can be a very good per minute scorer, he can also slash/shoot/defend. Wright played very well vs Toronto in the NJ vs Tor playoff series.

We're giving up a 33 year old player and a guy who has very good upside but is also very inconsistent, and I'm sure we're all tired of our see saw emotions with this team. This trade would allow us to finally see how good our team can play with a reliable swing man (much better bench depth, aside from SG) and allows us to sign a big time free agent to what will hopefully be a contending squad come 2010.
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#47 » by inrapscity » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:25 pm

First of all, this trade on itself does not work salary wise.

It'd have to be Howard+Diop for Bargnani+Parker+Kapono.

Gotta do this deal. Diop's a very serviceable big man. Howard's an instant 20PPG guy, plays defense though we lose Parker's defense and give up a bit on offense by losing Bargnani, Parker and Kapono. Parker could return next season if he wants to.

However, this trade doesn't make sense to me for Dallas. Why would they want Bargnani? Parker's as good as gone after this season and they're left with a bunch of role playing 2s and 3s, a possibly retiring Kidd and Dirk+Dirk 2.0. Dallas could somewhat compete this season with the trade but no way would they win a ring anyways.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#48 » by Kabookalu » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:28 pm

We don't need rebounding at the wings, Jamario Moon is one of the best and I think Josh Howard is an overrated slasher, not that he's not good at it but he shoots an awful lot of jumpers, and having Josh Howard isn't going to suddenly stop teams from raining 3 pointers on us night in night out.
Jason Michaels
Junior
And1: 0

Post#49 » by Jason Michaels » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:28 pm

TJ11 wrote:yikes I don't even know what to say to that

we got that much coveted wing, and a pretty decent rebounder in Diop but giving up Bargnani? naw

I'd rather dangle Jermaine's massive expiring

It's amazing what a mini-streak will do to quell Bargs doubters...wait till he starts playing like crap again.
If BC is smart, he'll get rid of him now while his value is "high". Bargs has not shown the consistency required to be the starting 5 on a contending team in this league, and I submit that he's unlikely to, especially due to his aversion to the paint, terrible positioning, streaky shooting and lack of rebounding.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Double Helix » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:32 pm

This would definitely be one hell of a ballsy move for Colangelo. I don't see him giving up on Bargs though. I just don't. There was a similar deal on the table a while back for Gerald Wallace and he didn't want to throw in Bargs.

If there's any truth to this (and there probably isn't) he's probably just trying to read Cuban and see where he's at. I think it would be wiser to try and find a suitor for JO. I don't see why Dallas wouldn't be intrigued by him either.

The good thing about Bargnani's contract is that if he continues to blossom and Bosh bolts, we build around Andrea. His contract just barely extends past Bosh's and he'd be 25-26.

Ballsy move though. Any deal involving Andrea at this point, with no other prospects to speak of, would be a total all-in move to win now and next year enough times to keep Bosh happy, raise up the franchise name and hopefully draw another good free agent in 2010. It would be treadmill territory for this season and the next but we'd be running full tilt and hoping to surprise some teams when the marathon starts in the spring.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#51 » by Kabookalu » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:35 pm

Reason why people still support Bargs is because he has a strong work ethic, look at what one big man camp did to him and they also know that his inconsistency has also been a factor out of his control. And J-Ho is seriously overrated, is this the same player that shoots Dallas out of games with his chucking? He's much better than Bargs at this point but he isn't the solution to our wing problems, we need a guy that can handle the ball and make plays for others.
Raptorsrock
RealGM
And1: 33

Post#52 » by Raptorsrock » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:39 pm

It's Hoopsword so its more than likely BS.

They know Raps fans are nuts so they are just probably trying to drive traffic to their site
"I had no idea what the word 'contraction' meant before I saw it on the Internet." - LeBron James
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#53 » by Anatomize » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:40 pm

Choker wrote:We don't need rebounding at the wings, Jamario Moon is one of the best and I think Josh Howard is an overrated slasher, not that he's not good at it but he shoots an awful lot of jumpers, and having Josh Howard isn't going to suddenly stop teams from raining 3 pointers on us night in night out.

Just because Jamario at times can out jump people for the ball doesn't make him "one of the best rebounders" at his position, on our team yes, in the overall league, no.

Howard has much better positioning and hustles to more loose balls than any other player on our team, I watch Mavs a ton because Kidd is on my fantasy team (traded Calderon for him :P) and he tips a lot of loose balls to himself and gets gritty in the post with other bigs picking up second chance opportunities for his team.

Overrated slasher? he's scoring 20 ppg on the highest scoring trio in the league (Nowitzki 26, Terry 21, J-ho 20). If you watch Mavs, they've gone from one stagnant offense in Avery Johnson to another stagnant offense in Rick Carlisle. Carlisle tries to control the game too much and calls his own play every time down the floor instead of relying on Kidd to use his excellent intuition and court vision to create plays for others. Kidd feeds the post almost every time down the floor, they pass to each other around the perimeter, and feed post J-ho or Nowitzki on the block. When Nowitzki is double teamed, he kicks it around to Terry for open 3's, and J-ho cuts and stops around the free throw line area to get open looks. A player who averages 20 points in such a poorly constructed offense with literally no flow to it is welcome on our team, I think our system would really free him up, it's a lot more up tempo and there are quicker shots earlier in the clock. J-ho also has a nice little floater he uses after stopping on a dime, he has a really soft touch.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Double Helix » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:41 pm

Choker wrote:Reason why people still support Bargs is because he has a strong work ethic, look at what one big man camp did to him and they also know that his inconsistency has also been a factor out of his control. And J-Ho is seriously overrated, is this the same player that shoots Dallas out of games with his chucking? He's much better than Bargs at this point but he isn't the solution to our wing problems, we need a guy that can handle the ball and make plays for others.

Pretty tough player to find though. I mean, who else is out there and available? I've been waving the Bargnani flag for awhile now and even I'm looking at this deal on my computer screen and wondering some things.

I still think I'd prefer to find a suitor for JO. At least that way, as I just mentioned, we still have the option of signing a restricted Andrea long-term as a center for the future if we want to.

I still think we can get some good pieces back for JO. If I'm Colangelo I'm listening to this deal, remembering it, and finding out what else is out there. If nothing else, he's bound to get more calls now that this is being reported...
Qdogg17
Junior
And1: 20

Post#55 » by Qdogg17 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:41 pm

I like this trade better:

Bargnani, Parker, Graham and Humphries
for
Howard, Diop, Bass and Wright

Salaries match. If we could somehow sign Delfino:

C- O'Neal/Diop/Voskuhl
PF- Bosh/Bass/Jawai
SF- Howard/Moon/Wright
SG- Kapono/Delfino/Adams
PG- Calderon/Ukic/Solomon
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#56 » by whoknows » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:46 pm

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=

how about:

Dallas Mavericks
Incoming Players
Jamario Moon
Salary: $711,517 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 6.9 REB: 4.4 AST: 1.2 PER: 14.82
Minimum Salary Exception allowed trade to be successful

Jermaine O'Neal
Salary: $21,372,000 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 14.0 REB: 7.3 AST: 1.6 PER: 16.70

Gerald Wallace
Salary: $9,500,000 Years Remaining: 4
PTS: 17.1 REB: 7.7 AST: 2.4 PER: 18.77

Outgoing Players: Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse, Brandon Bass, DeSagana Diop, Antoine Wright

Toronto Raptors
Incoming Players
Josh Howard
Salary: $9,945,000 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 18.2 REB: 5.2 AST: 1.7 PER: 16.40
Antoine Wright
Salary: $1,800,000 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 4.8 REB: 1.4 AST: 0.4 PER: 4.71
Nazr Mohammed
Salary: $6,049,400 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 2.7 REB: 1.8 AST: 0.3 PER: 9.16

Outgoing Players: Jamario Moon, Jermaine O'Neal

Charlotte Bobcats
Incoming Players
Jerry Stackhouse
Salary: $7,000,000 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 5.3 REB: 1.9 AST: 1.1 PER: 4.85
Brandon Bass
Salary: $826,269 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 7.6 REB: 4.1 AST: 0.4 PER: 13.13
DeSagana Diop
Salary: $5,585,000 Years Remaining: 4
PTS: 1.8 REB: 3.5 AST: 0.4 PER: 9.46

Outgoing Players: Gerald Wallace, Nazr Mohammed
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#57 » by Kabookalu » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:47 pm

So basically you're saying that we're going to be adding another jumpshooter on our team? We don't need anymore jumpshooters, his 20ppg isn't going to translate on this team like everyone here thinks, I've seen this guy chuck Dallas out of games.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#58 » by Nolan » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:52 pm

Salary's don't even come close to matching so i'm calling total BS.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#59 » by Spragga » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:53 pm

LMAO @ this

Anthony Parker is more than a throw-in, giving Dallas the starting two-guard they so desperately need. In fact, Parker might be the more important piece in this transaction. A prolific scorer in his own right, Parker can create his own shot, score in a variety of ways, and also defend the bigger twos of the Western Conference.

Really? Parker can create his own offence and can score in a variety of ways? :lol:
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#60 » by Southward1 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:53 pm

I'd do this trade. I don't buy this is real because I didn't see it on rotoworld, but I'd do it. Josh Howard is the best player in the deal, and I'm a big fan of whoever gets the best player in the deal wins. Josh was instantly give the raptors a 20/6 SF who can defend, has playoff pedigree, and a contract that has 2 years left and a 3 year if you want him another year (it's a team option). Again, I don't think it's real but if BC was offered this and turned it down, he has lost it. Bargs will never be as good as Josh Howard.

Return to Toronto Raptors