ImageImageImageImageImage

Malachi ain't it...

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,707

Re: Malachi ain't it... 

Post#421 » by Psubs » Thu Nov 9, 2023 6:36 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:proving us all wrong. let's keep it up.
currently 40/50/100 (the 50 on 3!)

Our new Jose Calderon.

I guess from last year he's like FVV, not a great finisher inside and hasn't forced it this season. He moves the ball, shoots the 3 when needed. Finding his niche. He can learn from Shroder about being crafty and getting a reliable floater which FVV never did. Maybe when he's in his prime late 20's and early 30's he'll become and actually starter on a good team like Shroder.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,348

Post#422 » by Dalek » Thu Nov 9, 2023 6:41 pm

Flynn used to crumble under pressure. Teams that were too physical and got into him gave him trouble and it would impact him on both sides. Watching yesterday, he was able to withstand Kyrie's drives and also was willingly attacking the basket. The offball threes should be his bread and butter because when he steps into them it looks so consistent.

Read on Twitter

Kyrie got mad at him at one point yesterday which to me demonstrates that he has found his groove. He is a defensive pest and solid table setting PG on offense. Future TJ McConnell.

Boston will be a very tough test but let's see how Darko plays their hot shooting guards. Pritchard historically has our number.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,668

Post#423 » by djsunyc » Thu Nov 9, 2023 7:30 pm

COMPETENCE FLYNN shine

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,609

Post#424 » by Scase » Thu Nov 9, 2023 7:57 pm

I'm still far from sold on him, but this is promising.
Props TZ!
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,829

Post#425 » by junot111 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:26 pm

Am I the only one that thinks we've seen this before? His effectiveness is largely predicated on his shooting. He'll have stretches where he looks like he can contribute as
a floor spacer that can handle the ball a bit but then when his shot stops falling, it drastically decreases his value on the floor and his minutes decrease. Unless he can maintain at least 38% from 3pt, I still expect the same cycle to repeat
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,265

Post#426 » by sidsid » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:38 pm

Psubs wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:proving us all wrong. let's keep it up.
currently 40/50/100 (the 50 on 3!)

Our new Jose Calderon.

I guess from last year he's like FVV, not a great finisher inside and hasn't forced it this season. He moves the ball, shoots the 3 when needed. Finding his niche. He can learn from Shroder about being crafty and getting a reliable floater which FVV never did. Maybe when he's in his prime late 20's and early 30's he'll become and actually starter on a good team like Shroder.

His use case to me has always been as a regular season minutes eater setup man. I like comping to TJ McConnell. They can be on the bench, start, it doesn't matter. They're ideally there to be cogs of the offense (not drivers) for 15 to 25 minutes a game.

This is a role that is thought of as just for movement shooters/3&D players, but the classic pg fits this too.

Dennis, like Fred, has too much combo guard in him. Flynn playing well would be a better fit for a half-court run through Scottie and Siakam.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,209

Post#427 » by HiJiNX » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:46 pm

djsunyc wrote:COMPETENCE FLYNN shine

A coach that understands the importance of psychology in development and performance. Love it!
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,503

Post#428 » by Spida888 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:47 pm

junot111 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we've seen this before? His effectiveness is largely predicated on his shooting. He'll have stretches where he looks like he can contribute as
a floor spacer that can handle the ball a bit but then when his shot stops falling, it drastically decreases his value on the floor and his minutes decrease. Unless he can maintain at least 38% from 3pt, I still expect the same cycle to repeat

Having a consistent shot elevates his game for sure, and honestly our whole team can use some more consistent shooting.

What has been encouraging to me is the zero turnovers over the last 2 games, and 4 assists in each of those games.

I'm going to wait longer to see if these games are really just outliers, but it's encouraging to see so far.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#429 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:22 pm

Breakout year, young Tyus Jones
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,247

Post#430 » by Madvillainy2004 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:27 pm

I'm not totally sold but he has looked a lot better in the past 5-6 games. Honestly not actively killing the team in his minutes is a big upgrade lol.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,348

Post#431 » by Dalek » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:30 pm

junot111 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we've seen this before? His effectiveness is largely predicated on his shooting. He'll have stretches where he looks like he can contribute as

I don't feel like this is completely correct. The bonus to me is the shooting which definitely has moments where you feel it can swing the game.

The non-negotiable elements are defense and playmaking. He really couldn't defend previously because he was not as strong or experienced or confident enough. It seems like he has bulked up enough to the point he can play really impactful defense. I mentioned it before, but he is either the leader or close to being the team leader in deflections per 36 mins.

He is also a quick decision maker off pick and roll. Under Nurse he rarely ran it and was often in a position where he had to create amongst the chaos. Things seem more organized under Darko and it gives Malachi the structure he needs. Not sure if he will end up a long-term solution but right now the bench keeps playing better each game.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,829

Post#432 » by junot111 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:02 am

Dalek wrote:

I don't feel like this is completely correct. The bonus to me is the shooting which definitely has moments where you feel it can swing the game.

The non-negotiable elements are defense and playmaking. He really couldn't defend previously because he was not as strong or experienced or confident enough. It seems like he has bulked up enough to the point he can play really impactful defense. I mentioned it before, but he is either the leader or close to being the team leader in deflections per 36 mins.

He is also a quick decision maker off pick and roll. Under Nurse he rarely ran it and was often in a position where he had to create amongst the chaos. Things seem more organized under Darko and it gives Malachi the structure he needs. Not sure if he will end up a long-term solution but right now the bench keeps playing better each game.

You can disagree but I think it's pretty disingenuous to call his shooting a bonus. It's clearly a big part (if not the biggest) of his value to the team, especially this particular roster.

His defense is okay, I haven't really noticed this new bulk and strength but even with that, he is still limited physically which is the root of his problems defensively, as it certainly wasn't due to a lack of effort. The deflections are nice but he's never going to be a plus defender due to his lack of size and athleticism.

His playmaking is still unimpressive. He clearly doesn't look like a play initiator and can only act as a relief ball handler or secondary playmaker after someone else creates an advantage. His main threat is to shoot, and if the defense is playing up on his shot then he has more options like attacking the closeout (which is what happened last night on the play where he got fouled)

Not trying to hate, like I said if he can maintain 38% from 3 he'll be serviceable to this team. We've desperately needed a second guard that can shoot and dribble for years now since Kyle left and Flynn has been the closest thing. But the same limitations are still there and not enough talent to overcome them so I'm not really convinced by a hot shooting streak, but would be happy to be proven wrong
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#433 » by Anatomize » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:14 am

djsunyc wrote:COMPETENCE FLYNN shine

Darko has an amazing knack for not only saying the right things, but framing them in such a way that they can change a player’s entire career. It’s a rare trait for a coach.

I wonder if Nurse even spoke a word to Malachi in his entire career.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,378

Post#434 » by canada_dry » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:16 am

He might be it, boys!

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,967

Post#435 » by Truthrising » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:38 am

Malachi Flynn is currently 4th overall for the Raptors in BPM (Minimum 100 Mins Played)

Barnes 7.9
Schroeder 3.9
Anunoby 3.0
Flynn 0.6
Poetle -0.5
Siakam -1.2
Trent Jr -5.1
Dick -9.2
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,312

Post#436 » by Tripod » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:20 pm

You can tell his teammates really like him and feel he got theshaft from Nick. They want him to succeed.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#437 » by StopitLeo » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:08 pm

It's really hard to evaluate given this is the first time he has gotten meaningful minutes with any regularity. As others have said, I think that his ultimate value is really going to depend on whether he make open 3s at a high percentage. He looks best when he's on the floor with Scottie and OG. At $4M he's perfectly adequate right now.

TBH, I think his dad's stupid tweets when he wasn't getting minutes as a rookie doomed him as far as Nurse was concerned. He's getting a fresh start with Darko.
bobbyp3588
Senior
And1: 505

Post#438 » by bobbyp3588 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:00 am

I think it’s pretty clear he’s a significantly better player than he was able to show under Nurse. I think it’s also clear that his ceiling just isn’t very high.

If we want to win as many games as possible this year, and we might as well not having our pick, then I think we need to upgrade Malachi. I’d even give John Wall a shot. I think last year with the Clips he wasn’t half bad. Easily an improvement on Flynn.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,548

Post#439 » by bballsparkin » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:54 am

^^I think it's clear they don't want to win as many games as possible this year. If they did, they likely bring NN back and upgrade the backup PG position. This year seems to me about resetting the atmosphere on the team to play ball in a manner that utilizes the team fully and at the same time developing players and rebuilding their value.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,102

Post#440 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:06 am

bobbyp3588 wrote:I think it’s pretty clear he’s a significantly better player than he was able to show under Nurse. I think it’s also clear that his ceiling just isn’t very high.

If we want to win as many games as possible this year, and we might as well not having our pick, then I think we need to upgrade Malachi. I’d even give John Wall a shot. I think last year with the Clips he wasn’t half bad. Easily an improvement on Flynn.

I wonder how much Wall would sign for? Are we in a position to just sign a FA? Would someone have to be waived?

Despite Flynn having a couple of better games after a bad start, it's true he's low ceiling. The team can't go very far with him as back-up PG. And imagine if Schroder got hurt. We need a veteran back-up
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.

Return to Toronto Raptors