ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,645

Re: Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8 

Post#501 » by Scase » Wed May 15, 2024 8:17 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Gordon's best PPG year in his career was almost equivalent to Barnes' rookie year total.

Gordon's been mostly a 14-16 PPG scorer even when he had higher usage in Orlando. Barnes almost sleepwalks to 20 points.

Yeah that's a bit weird of a comparison lol. But as sidsid said, I think it's more about play style and doing everything an NBA player can do to be successful. Scottie just as a better scoring touch.

Now if Scottie can pull of modern day Gordon level of efficiency, you've got yourself a bona fide #1 option right there. God I hope he comes back with a go to move next year, I feel like it's the major thing holding him back right now.
Props TZ!
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,336

Post#502 » by brownbobcat » Wed May 15, 2024 8:27 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Gordon's best PPG year in his career was almost equivalent to Barnes' rookie year total.

Gordon's been mostly a 14-16 PPG scorer even when he had higher usage in Orlando. Barnes almost sleepwalks to 20 points.

Barnes shoots more - his career TS+ is pretty close to Gordon's during his Orlando tenure. I don't know why this is being interpreted as some kind of shot at Barnes, he excels at secondary aspects of the game (with the exception of screen setting) and he doesn't have the same kind of skillset that many primary scorers do.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,865

Post#503 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 15, 2024 8:30 pm

brownbobcat wrote:

Barnes shoots more - his career TS+ is pretty close to Gordon's during his Orlando tenure. I don't know why this is being interpreted as some kind of shot at Barnes, he excels at secondary aspects of the game (with the exception of screen setting) and he doesn't have the same kind of skillset that many primary scorers do.

Gordon had similar usage levels as Barnes in ORL and never got above 17 PPG.

I don't view it as a slight, just that Barnes is a step above him in terms of offensive potential.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,336

Post#504 » by brownbobcat » Wed May 15, 2024 8:37 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

I don't view it as a slight, just that Barnes is a step above him in terms of offensive potential.

I think everyone would agree, but note that TS+ is based on relative and not absolute efficiency.
will
RealGM
And1: 50,002
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#505 » by will » Wed May 15, 2024 9:10 pm

I like Scottish.

Very good player.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,382

Post#506 » by YogurtProducer » Wed May 15, 2024 9:14 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

SCotties playmaking is also on another planet.

That being said - I would bet adjusted for the pace increase from 2018 (Gordons peak in ORL) to Scottie this year the 17.6ppg Gordon had and the 19.9 for Scottie would be pretty similar.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
RealGM
And1: 66,564

Post#507 » by 720 » Sun May 19, 2024 5:21 pm

This upcoming season I want to see Scottie take his ppg to around the 22-24 range. He could easily do it if his mind worked like that. He’s a reluctant scorer, with elite passing ability. A lot of times it takes guys like that years to get to that point (look at Jokic), sometimes they never get there (Ben Simmons). The next two years will tell us a lot about his scoring trajectory.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,184

Post#508 » by tsherkin » Sun May 19, 2024 5:25 pm

720 wrote:This upcoming season I want to see Scottie take his ppg to around the 22-24 range. He could easily do it if his mind worked like that. He’s a reluctant scorer, with elite passing ability. A lot of times it takes guys like that years to get to that point (look at Jokic), sometimes they never get there (Ben Simmons). The next two years will tell us a lot.

Yeah, this upcoming season in particular should be interesting. First half Scottie was looking pretty interesting. The Siakam trade and then getting shut down after didn't help, but he had some things going on which were promising for him hitting another level. Not S-tier type stuff, but that's fine. I'd be super thrilled if Scottie could become a 22 ppg, +2% rTS guy with all the other stuff he does. We don't need him to be a 27+ ppg scorer, we just need him to be a consistent, efficient threat.
TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,306

Post#509 » by TorontoBarneys » Sun May 19, 2024 6:10 pm

I hope Scottie can come into next season slimmed down a bit, 10 lbs or so. He has no need for that bulk he's accumulated anymore. Will help him with his combo-forward future.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,081

Post#510 » by Indeed » Sun May 19, 2024 6:58 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:Barnes shoots more - his career TS+ is pretty close to Gordon's during his Orlando tenure. I don't know why this is being interpreted as some kind of shot at Barnes, he excels at secondary aspects of the game (with the exception of screen setting) and he doesn't have the same kind of skillset that many primary scorers do.

That being said - I would bet adjusted for the pace increase from 2018 (Gordons peak in ORL) to Scottie this year the 17.6ppg Gordon had and the 19.9 for Scottie would be pretty similar.

Playmaking would be effective when you attract multiple defenders, otherwise, you are still resulting 1 on 1 regardless of making that pass (or playmake).

Barnes right now does not attract multiple defenders, so that strength has yet to be displayed much.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,382

Post#511 » by YogurtProducer » Sun May 19, 2024 9:05 pm

Indeed wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Playmaking would be effective when you attract multiple defenders, otherwise, you are still resulting 1 on 1 regardless of making that pass (or playmake).

Barnes right now does not attract multiple defenders, so that strength has yet to be displayed much.

I seem to recall Scottie attracting lots of help defense on his drives
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,315

Post#512 » by Tripod » Sun May 19, 2024 9:59 pm

TorontoBarneys wrote:I hope Scottie can come into next season slimmed down a bit, 10 lbs or so. He has no need for that bulk he's accumulated anymore. Will help him with his combo-forward future.

Then they need to tell him he won't play at C anymore
Indeed
RealGM

Post#513 » by Indeed » Sun May 19, 2024 10:58 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Indeed wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:SCotties playmaking is also on another planet.

I dont recall that, and only his spot up being great. Isolation and postup arent anything spectacular from NBA stats. This is the reason we can get points, but not at closing to win games.

Reference: https://www.nba.com/stats/players/playtype-post-up?CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*Barnes&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
Scase
RealGM

Post#514 » by Scase » Sun May 19, 2024 11:24 pm

Indeed wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Indeed wrote:

I dont recall that, and only his spot up being great. Isolation and postup arent anything spectacular from NBA stats. This is the reason we can get points, but not at closing to win games.

Reference: https://www.nba.com/stats/players/playtype-post-up?CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*Barnes&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

Scottie was seeing constant doubles after the Siakam trade.
Props TZ!
Indeed
RealGM

Post#515 » by Indeed » Mon May 20, 2024 12:02 am

Scase wrote:
Indeed wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I seem to recall Scottie attracting lots of help defense on his drives

The stats incorporated points scored from passout of the play (playmaking), and the shooting plus ORtg has been better after the trade, so are you saying his playmaking isnt there?
Scase
RealGM

Post#516 » by Scase » Mon May 20, 2024 12:06 am

Indeed wrote:
Scase wrote:
Indeed wrote:

The stats incorporated points scored from passout of the play (playmaking), and the shooting plus ORtg has been better after the trade, so are you saying his playmaking isnt there?

Whatever point you are trying to make, is incomprehensible.
Props TZ!
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,929

Post#517 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Mon May 20, 2024 2:39 am

TorontoBarneys wrote:I hope Scottie can come into next season slimmed down a bit, 10 lbs or so. He has no need for that bulk he's accumulated anymore. Will help him with his combo-forward future.

Ya, he's gonna go on a vegan diet just for you.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,918

Post#518 » by Thaddy » Mon May 20, 2024 2:50 am

Barnes should be the SF going forward and a perimeter player. I would consider starting Poeltl and Olynyk.

Poeltl - Filipowski (19)
Olynyk - Klintman (31)
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
Quickely - Brown
Scase
RealGM

Post#519 » by Scase » Mon May 20, 2024 5:09 am

Thaddy wrote:Barnes should be the SF going forward and a perimeter player. I would consider starting Poeltl and Olynyk.

Poeltl - Filipowski (19)
Olynyk - Klintman (31)
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
Quickely - Brown

I like this idea, it gets us right back in the high lotto where we need to be.
Props TZ!
Scase
RealGM

Post#520 » by Scase » Tue May 21, 2024 1:12 pm

Scottie showing the results of his surgery.

Read on Twitter
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors