ImageImageImageImageImage

Is there any potentially available aged star that would catapult the Raps to Finals contention?

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

Is there any potentially available aged star that would catapult the Raps to Finals contention?

Paul George
3%
Kevin Durant
8%
Trae Young
2%
Dame Lillard
No votes
Jaylen Brown
2%
Jimmy Butler
6%
Karl Anthony Towns
4%
Other - who?
6%
None - our core isn't good enough
70%

Total votes: 108

RealGM
And1: 66,561

Re: Is there any potentially available aged star that would catapult the Raps to Finals contention? 

Post#61 » by 720 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:02 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
720 wrote:I don’t want to treadmill but if we could somehow get Paul George, it would be fun to see that level of a shot creator be on the Raptors. We’ve only really had that with Kawhi and Vince.

That's a mediocre idea

I want to tank. But if we’re gonna try and treadmill next year like many are predicting might as well add Paul George to the mix so we can watch some elite shot creation lol
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,165

Re: Is there any potentially available aged star that would catapult the Raps to Finals contention? 

Post#62 » by DelAbbot » Thu May 9, 2024 7:17 pm

720 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
720 wrote:I don’t want to treadmill but if we could somehow get Paul George, it would be fun to see that level of a shot creator be on the Raptors. We’ve only really had that with Kawhi and Vince.

That's a mediocre idea

I want to tank. But if we’re gonna try and treadmill next year like many are predicting might as well add Paul George to the mix so we can watch some elite shot creation lol

who's saying we gonna try and treadmill next year? name em
RealGM

Post#63 » by 720 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:44 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
720 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
That's a mediocre idea

Anyone that wants us to push for the play in or playoffs instead of the draft again next year, considering the roster we have, that’s treadmilling.

If Masai goes that direction might as well add Paul George.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#64 » by DelAbbot » Thu May 9, 2024 8:28 pm

720 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
720 wrote:I want to tank. But if we’re gonna try and treadmill next year like many are predicting might as well add Paul George to the mix so we can watch some elite shot creation lol

Anyone that wants us to push for the play in or playoffs instead of the draft again next year, considering the roster we have, that’s treadmilling.

I'm back on the tank for 2024/2025!
RealGM

Post#65 » by 720 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:08 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
720 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Me too, the only way I feel differently is if we knock it out of the park this draft and get some stud that impresses immediately. Sorta like how Scottie did his rookie year. I just don’t see that happening. Another way is if RJ becomes an elite shooter plus a better defender and or if IQ takes a huge leap. Both unlikely scenarios.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#66 » by DelAbbot » Thu May 9, 2024 9:18 pm

720 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
720 wrote:Anyone that wants us to push for the play in or playoffs instead of the draft again next year, considering the roster we have, that’s treadmilling.

Me too, the only way I feel differently is if we knock it out of the park this draft and get some stud that impresses immediately. Sorta like how Scottie did his rookie year. I just don’t see that happening. Another way is if RJ becomes an elite shooter plus a better defender and or if IQ takes a huge leap. Both unlikely scenarios.

Unless we win the lottery (top 4), there is no immediate impact starter from this draft. All role players to start, even if one or two develops into a Jimmy Butler type in 4 years.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,988

Post#67 » by Merit » Thu May 9, 2024 11:01 pm

720 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
720 wrote:Anyone that wants us to push for the play in or playoffs instead of the draft again next year, considering the roster we have, that’s treadmilling.

I feel a redraft candidate (undervalued player) is one I’d be into as well. If there’s one area I have confidence in - it’s the FO’s talent evaluation at the draft. Here’s hoping for a Paul George type acquisition if that’s the case.

As for RJ improving - I guarantee he does. Not sure about being an elite shooter, but he will definitely improve.

What does a huge leap for IQ look like for you? For me, consistency and improved playmaking will go a long way. I feel good about his improvement in both those domains.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#68 » by Merit » Thu May 9, 2024 11:02 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
720 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Unless we win the lottery (top 4), there is no immediate impact starter from this draft. All role players to start, even if one or two develops into a Jimmy Butler type in 4 years.

Which 4 players do you feel are impact players? In most drafts there’s at least a few players who surprise.
I believe in Masai.
Rapsdaman
Junior
And1: 76

Post#69 » by Rapsdaman » Thu May 9, 2024 11:57 pm

He not aged but i like brandon ingram, he creates offence and think he can be a capable on the defensive end as well and complement the core real well, not sure what it would take but it looks like the pels want to move from ingram due to not meshing with zion
RealGM

Post#70 » by 720 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:39 am

Merit wrote:
720 wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

I feel a redraft candidate (undervalued player) is one I’d be into as well. If there’s one area I have confidence in - it’s the FO’s talent evaluation at the draft. Here’s hoping for a Paul George type acquisition if that’s the case.

As for RJ improving - I guarantee he does. Not sure about being an elite scorer, but he will definitely improve.

What does a huge leap for IQ look like for you? For me, consistency and improved playmaking will go a long way. I feel good about his improvement in both those domains.

IQ can create space whenever he wants but he for some reason has trouble creating scoring opportunities off that space. It’s almost as if he doesn’t like shooting when the defender is to the left or right of him and if he is anticipating a close out from those angles. He also needs to become a better finisher as a raptor. Out of the two I feel IQ has the better chance of fitting around Scottie. I just don’t see RJ and Scottie meshing long term unless RJ learns to be a good shooter.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#71 » by Merit » Fri May 10, 2024 1:56 am

720 wrote:
Merit wrote:
720 wrote:Me too, the only way I feel differently is if we knock it out of the park this draft and get some stud that impresses immediately. Sorta like how Scottie did his rookie year. I just don’t see that happening. Another way is if RJ becomes an elite shooter plus a better defender and or if IQ takes a huge leap. Both unlikely scenarios.

As for RJ improving - I guarantee he does. Not sure about being an elite scorer, but he will definitely improve.

IQ can create space whenever he wants but he for some reason has trouble creating scoring opportunities off that space. It’s almost as if he doesn’t like shooting when the defender is to the left or right of him and if he is anticipating a close out from those angles. He also needs to become a better finisher as a raptor. Out of the two I feel IQ has the better chance of fitting around Scottie. I just don’t see RJ and Scottie meshing long term unless RJ learns to be a good shooter.

Totally fair. RJ needs to improve as a shooter, or we will need another shooter in the lineup. Ideally, both happen. RJ improves, and we will get another shooter in the lineup. That could be Gradey, but my hope is that it's Wiggins.

IQ was one of the most efficient scorers in the league before he came here, and when he came here, his floater suddenly disappeared. I think it comes back with a vengeance. I also feel his finishing will improve organically and with better spacing.
I believe in Masai.
RealGM

Post#72 » by 720 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:14 am

Merit wrote:
720 wrote:
Merit wrote:

Totally fair. RJ needs to improve as a shooter, or we will need another shooter in the lineup. Ideally, both happen. RJ improves, and we will get another shooter in the lineup. That could be Gradey, but my hope is that it's Wiggins.

IQ was one of the most efficient scorers in the league before he came here, and when he came here, his floater suddenly disappeared. I think it comes back with a vengeance. I also feel his finishing will improve organically and with better spacing.

The floater disappearing has been the biggest shock to me. Feels like it’s totally mental.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#73 » by Merit » Fri May 10, 2024 2:32 am

720 wrote:
Merit wrote:
720 wrote:IQ can create space whenever he wants but he for some reason has trouble creating scoring opportunities off that space. It’s almost as if he doesn’t like shooting when the defender is to the left or right of him and if he is anticipating a close out from those angles. He also needs to become a better finisher as a raptor. Out of the two I feel IQ has the better chance of fitting around Scottie. I just don’t see RJ and Scottie meshing long term unless RJ learns to be a good shooter.

The floater disappearing has been the biggest shock to me. Feels like it’s totally mental.

Yeah and IQ isn’t little like Fred and Brunson are so I’m staying hopeful.

Would you rather trade our pick(s) for a player who’s more certain or bank on drafting and developing and continuing to build?

What holes do you see in our lineup?

IQ/RJ/?/Scottie/Poeltl
?/Gradey/Ochai/Kelly/?

^^ that’s what I see. We could potentially nudge Scottie to the 3 and play Kelly as a starter.

I for one am desperate for a bench. If I had my way it’d be a bench mob redux.

What’re your thoughts?
I believe in Masai.
RealGM

Post#75 » by 720 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 pm

Merit wrote:
720 wrote:
Merit wrote:

Yeah and IQ isn’t little like Fred and Brunson are so I’m staying hopeful.

Would you rather trade our pick(s) for a player who’s more certain or bank on drafting and developing and continuing to build?

What holes do you see in our lineup?

IQ/RJ/?/Scottie/Poeltl
?/Gradey/Ochai/Kelly/?

^^ that’s what I see. We could potentially nudge Scottie to the 3 and play Kelly as a starter.

I for one am desperate for a bench. If I had my way it’d be a bench mob redux.

What’re your thoughts?

Building through the draft works. That’s my approach. We’re not at the point where we should be filling holes. We need high end talent and so far that’s only Scottie. I say give our 4 young guys a lot of freedom next year. It should once again be about developing their games. Get a top 6-8 pick in a much better draft next year and go from there. If a couple of our players jump in production then the team will automatically be worth adding to in order to get into the playoffs or play in.

Ideally we should have traded Siakam and OG when we had more leverage (a year earlier), same with Fred. Not acquired Poeltl for the price that we did.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,708

Post#76 » by Psubs » Fri May 10, 2024 1:12 pm

Merit wrote:
720 wrote:
Merit wrote:

Aaron Wiggins?
lolekszmolek
Freshman
And1: 76

Post#77 » by lolekszmolek » Fri May 10, 2024 1:47 pm

Adding a meaningful free agent would be helpful but good draft picks and careful trades are needed to build a contender.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,708

Post#78 » by Psubs » Fri May 10, 2024 2:21 pm

I told my dad that the Celtics were going to choke when it was tied in the 1st half. :) I told him with Porzingis out for the series and Allen likely back tomorrow, Boston is done. Too bad Donovan Mitchell likely stays in Cleveland.
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,253

Post#79 » by Appostis » Fri May 10, 2024 2:47 pm

If you add Towns in isolation with this same crew..

IQ/RB/Barnes/Towns/JP

That's a pretty compelling lineup..
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,453

Post#80 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri May 10, 2024 4:38 pm

I am a bit more optimistic of the BBQ Dick Core than many;
But I think we are way early in understanding what we really have to be talking about making that sort of win now move.

When we made the Kawhi move you had a team that was constantly making the playoffs as a home court seed with two guys who were generally yearly all stars with a lot of strong supporting pieces, we just aren't there yet.

We may get there depending in growth and additions but I don't think we are one player away from being a finals team.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!

Return to Toronto Raptors