ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8

Moderators: Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,804

Re: Official Scottie All Star Barnes Thread 8 

Post#81 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:35 pm

Barnes has that Lowry quality where he can shoot 4-16 but still provide a positive impact because he does so many different things well, from the passing, the rebounding, the steals, the blocks, the POA defense. That's what really separates him from a lot of other guys, especially around his age.

Some people need to come to the realization that he isn't going to be a KD or Kawhi like offensive force. That's never been his game at any level. He will have his moments offensively, but his mindset is that of a playmaker and secondary creator, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just need to put the right players around him.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,343

Post#82 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:37 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Barnes has that Lowry quality where he can shoot 4-16 but still provide a positive impact because he does so many different things well, from the passing, the rebounding, the steals, the blocks, the POA defense. That's what really separates him from a lot of other guys, especially around his age.

Some people need to come to the realization that he isn't going to be a KD or Kawhi like offensive force. That's never been his game at any level. He will have his moments offensively, but his mindset is that of a playmaker and secondary creator, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just need to put the right players around him.

Yeah he can easily be the best player on a team and not be the highest scorer. We are right back where we have been for the last 10 years outside 1 year - looking for that real #1 option.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
AHCanada
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#83 » by AHCanada » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:41 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Barnes has that Lowry quality where he can shoot 4-16 but still provide a positive impact because he does so many different things well, from the passing, the rebounding, the steals, the blocks, the POA defense. That's what really separates him from a lot of other guys, especially around his age.

Yeah he can easily be the best player on a team and not be the highest scorer. We are right back where we have been for the last 10 years outside 1 year - looking for that real #1 option.

Yes, but IMO it's not a terrible place to be. Front office can take their time setting everything up and then make the big swing for a true #1. Worked last time!
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,573

Post#84 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:43 pm

Right now it's very clear where Barnes needs to improve and that's what the rest of the season will highlight.

He needs to work on his handles and develop a comfortable go to move that makes him confident enough to just shoot it rather than pass it back (something in the mid-range). The offensive scoring mentality also needs to change - he's overpassing and maybe part of that is him not feeling confident in his limited offensive arsenal. I always felt his midrange is what will really open up his game (not the 3) and I hope that's where the focus is this offseason.

Get in the gym again and keep getting better. But over the rest of the season he still needs to have more of an aggressive scoring mentality. He can't keep overpassing. He's overpassing and overthinking to the point where he's having us lose possessions.

Also, chill lol. Players get better. This isn't his peak. Some of the comments in here are so childish. How will some of you get through these years of losing? He's not a guy who came into their league as an elite shooter. He had and has tons of areas he can get better. The pick was a slam dunk. He has been the best in his class and imo also has the highest potential.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#85 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:43 pm

AHCanada wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Yes, but IMO it's not a terrible place to be. Front office can take their time setting everything up and then make the big swing for a true #1. Worked last time!

Not complaining. I am quite aware there are very few players who are the real #1's and running the ones who don't make it out of town is stupid.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,804

Post#86 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:46 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

He's not Lebron or Magic, so i want to say that right off the top, but he has a similar mindset as those two guys. Magic's and Lebron's first instinct wasn't to score the ball like it is for a guy like Curry or KD. Lebron's and Magic's first instinct was to create the best possible shot, even if they didn't take it. They'd obviously step in offensively if they needed to, but it wasn't all about creating their own shot.

Barnes is going to drift in and out of games offensively, especially if he has a teammate or two going. But he has shown the ability to take over when he needs to. Is he consistently doing it? Nope, but I don't expect a finish product in year 3.
Chalky_White
Senior
And1: 635

Post#87 » by Chalky_White » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:50 pm

mdenny wrote:
Chalky_White wrote:
AbC? wrote:Rough shooting night but still put up nearly a triple double. Chalk that up to the stress of the trade deadline (probably didn’t get much sleep last night) and now being the primary ball handler on the second unit with Dennis gone. That’s a huge responsibility that he’s taking on and some adjustment time is to be expected. Still looked poised and in control, and let RJ and IQ take the scoring load while he masterfully dictated the pace of the game. All in all another great performance.

The trade deadline finished yesterday afternoon, why would it disturb his sleep last night? And i'm not sure why the deadline would leave him stressed as his place on the team is ultra secure. Did he get super close to Bruce already?

He didnt have the best game, it happens.

I could be wrong but I think ABC is satirizing the die hard Barnes fans. It's kinda hilarious.

There's a couple giveaways that are so apt that they're hard to detect. Scotty "let" IQ and Barnes score lol.

I was wondering if i was missing a joke somewhere.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#88 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:52 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

He's not Lebron or Magic, so i want to say that right off the top, but he has a similar mindset as those two guys. Magic's and Lebron's first instinct wasn't to score the ball like it is for a guy like Curry or KD. Lebron's and Magic's first instinct was to create the best possible shot, even if they didn't take it. They'd obviously step in offensively if they needed to, but it wasn't all about creating their own shot.

Barnes is going to drift in and out of games offensively, especially if he has a teammate or two going. But he has shown the ability to take over when he needs to. Is he consistently doing it? Nope, but I don't expect a finish product in year 3.

Yeah he is going to 100% be fine - but I take issue with people who are CONVINCED he is an elite offensive talent. The toxicity of this place from (mostly) Scottie super stans is just crazy. Especially when you know he is (PROBABLY) not going to reach those insane heights and those same people are gonna turn on him.

Can we stop with the "Stans" and "haters"?
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,433

Post#89 » by vulture » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:11 pm

The half court scoring is still a work in progress but the level of conditioning has to improve because he should be a demon in transition. He’s just not running in transition enough for my liking and you can see that he’s the last guy to get down the floor.

Overall I’m pretty happy with his season with all the roster changes that have happened.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,209

Post#90 » by HiJiNX » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:30 pm

vulture wrote:The half court scoring is still a work in progress but the level of conditioning has to improve because he should be a demon in transition. He’s just not running in transition enough for my liking and you can see that he’s the last guy to get down the floor.

Overall I’m pretty happy with his season with all the roster changes that have happened.

I feel like he’s pacing himself a lot more in the past few games so he can play longer stints. His body is still getting used to the responsibility of having to be the best player on both ends. He will need to take his body and diet even more seriously than he has to this point. He’s got a lot of work to do—handling, midrange, finishing, shooting while contested, conditioning. However, he’s become one of the better defensive players and playmakers in the league. And there’s still a lot that’s untapped. And he seems to care about winning and being successful so hopefully that drive transcends anything that might get in the way for him (like maturity, which is improving incrementally).
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,821

Post#91 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:33 pm

vulture wrote:The half court scoring is still a work in progress but the level of conditioning has to improve because he should be a demon in transition. He’s just not running in transition enough for my liking and you can see that he’s the last guy to get down the floor.

We need team defence to improve so Scottie can exert less effort on that end.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#92 » by mdenny » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:44 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Yeah he can easily be the best player on a team and not be the highest scorer. We are right back where we have been for the last 10 years outside 1 year - looking for that real #1 option.

Yeah he is going to 100% be fine - but I take issue with people who are CONVINCED he is an elite offensive talent. The toxicity of this place from (mostly) Scottie super stans is just crazy. Especially when you know he is (PROBABLY) not going to reach those insane heights and those same people are gonna turn on him.

I think even his biggest fans now concede that his handle isn't good enough to be the main guy that runs the offense. And maybe he's never the main guy that runs the offense for the whole game. But even in crunch time....his handle is too loose to be that guy. I say that while acknowledging his handle is above average for his size. It's just that most players his size don't even sniff at running an offense. In anycase...if we could choose a skillset to boost by 5 to 10% during the off-season....his handle is a good choice.

The other thing that might rub some people the wrong way....his conditioning needs to be better. He consistently looks like the oldest player on the floor for us in terms of jump in his step and spring in his jump. There's too many stretches where he's kinda lumbering and laboring. The whole 'one of the last ones to arrive and one of the first ones to leave' at practices might be a factor in this. His diet and daily regiment are factors too. If he looks like THIS at 22 then what's he gonna look like at 30?

When Demar was in his 3rd year there were multiple beat-writer articles praising his work ethic, his off-season training and his gym-rat routines. It's basically radio-silence on these topics about Barnes. Ppl think our beat-writers have a bias against him...but they're the ones who are around the team and know this type of stuff. Derozan recently was on the Paul George podcast and they spoke about how young players aren't putting the same amount of work in compared to the previous generations.

In anycase...it's my opinion that Barnes shouldn't look this much like an old man during stretches of games. He's in good physical shape but his cardio just doesn't seem adequate.

So in light of all the leaps he's made both offensively AND defensively this season (his defensive improvements don't get talked about enough)....my opinion is that ball-handling and cardio are two things kinda holding him back. It's possible he might even benefit by slimming down a bit.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,433

Post#93 » by vulture » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:47 pm

HiJiNX wrote:

I feel like he’s pacing himself a lot more in the past few games so he can play longer stints. His body is still getting used to the responsibility of having to be the best player on both ends. He will need to take his body and diet even more seriously than he has to this point. He’s got a lot of work to do—handling, midrange, finishing, shooting while contested, conditioning. However, he’s become one of the better defensive players and playmakers in the league. And there’s still a lot that’s untapped. And he seems to care about winning and being successful so hopefully that drive transcends anything that might get in the way for him (like maturity, which is improving incrementally).

His defense has definitely improved but to be a 2 way player the conditioning has to be better. He looks gassed a lot and labouring up and down the floor. At some point he might have to slim down to sustain the type of effort required.
He can be devastating in transition if he makes it a priority like his rookie season and that would help the team level up.
gbball
Starter
And1: 2,304

Post#94 » by gbball » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:51 pm

I don't disagree, but he's makes crucial mistakes at key moments in the game. Turnovers, missed layups. Hopefully it's part of a learning process for him. But I'm concerned that there's no sure thing in his game, perhaps aside from defense, but even then he'll miss assignments or not make an effort at times.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,209

Post#95 » by HiJiNX » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:55 pm

vulture wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:

His defense has definitely improved but to be a 2 way player the conditioning has to be better. He looks gassed a lot and labouring up and down the floor. At some point he might have to slim down to sustain the type of effort required.
He can be devastating in transition if he makes it a priority like his rookie season and that would help the team level up.

I’m definitely leaning toward him losing weight. He was still powerful when he was 10 lbs lighter but more agile. If he’s going to play on the perimeter as much as this team is grooming him to then he will need to either improve his conditioning or drop 5-10 lbs or both.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,383

Post#96 » by ItsDanger » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:01 pm

Change the style of play so he can take possessions off especially on offense. Why play a high pace style when it doesn't suit your player's strengths?
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#97 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:17 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Change the style of play so he can take possessions off especially on offense. Why play a high pace style when it doesn't suit your player's strengths?

How doesn't fast pace play benefit Scottie?
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,604

Post#98 » by Scase » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:50 pm

MiamiSPX wrote:
XTC wrote:The lust/lore for Scottie has worn off for me. We where calling him a future superstar in November and December because he averaged 21/9/6, but since the new year he's averaging 19/5.5/5.5... Those numbers are crap for our supposed franchise player. In the same timespan his PER has dropped to sub 20, his BPM has dropped to sub 4, and his plus minus is actually atrocious.

People have rose colored glasses on because he started the year hot with amazing numbers, and amazing advanced stats, but he now looks more like Odom rather than Giannis. He has looked like crap for a couple months now. We keep saying he turns it on in the 4th, but a franchise player delivers from quarters 1-4. This pattern by Scottie is just a sign of inconsistency to me. When was the last time he took over game? His allstar appearance is such a sham, and TBH it means nothing to me.... Franz is a much better player, Sengun has shown a better offensive skillset, and Mobley has shown much better two way ability. Flame me, because in my opinion Barnes is only putting up stats because he's an option on a lackluster team.

You won't get flamed by me. I disagree wholeheartedly with your position, especially the Wagner part, but credit to you for owning your stance. Cheers.

People will continue to be disappointed and call him a failure because they are expecting him to put up 30ppg as a 22 year old.

This team has had zero consistency, and now he's the focal point of opposing defences, and we're expecting him to just adjust immediately with zero impact. I'm fine if people want to say he's not a #1 option, but to discount the instability of the team, his role on it, and how opponents treat him, it's just stupid.

IQ has become a starter, playing 8mpg more and is putting up 2ppg and 3.5apg more, does that mean he's a failure? RJ has taken a huge step forward in his production since getting here, does that make him the greatest player ever?

For all the talk about patience and trusting in Masai, there's a whole host of people who suddenly have zero patience when it comes to a 22 year old putting up Giannis year 3 numbers. I want to say I'm surprised at how petulant some people on here are, but it's really not shocking at all, just disappointing.

And naturally all that's ever pointed out are offensive stats, lets completely ignore the other half of the game where he is the best defender on the team, and routinely taking on the hardest defensive assignments. Just either bad team fans, or uneducated basketball fans. Neither of which are something to aspire to be.
Props TZ!
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,821

Post#99 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:59 pm

Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:
XTC wrote:The lust/lore for Scottie has worn off for me. We where calling him a future superstar in November and December because he averaged 21/9/6, but since the new year he's averaging 19/5.5/5.5... Those numbers are crap for our supposed franchise player. In the same timespan his PER has dropped to sub 20, his BPM has dropped to sub 4, and his plus minus is actually atrocious.

People have rose colored glasses on because he started the year hot with amazing numbers, and amazing advanced stats, but he now looks more like Odom rather than Giannis. He has looked like crap for a couple months now. We keep saying he turns it on in the 4th, but a franchise player delivers from quarters 1-4. This pattern by Scottie is just a sign of inconsistency to me. When was the last time he took over game? His allstar appearance is such a sham, and TBH it means nothing to me.... Franz is a much better player, Sengun has shown a better offensive skillset, and Mobley has shown much better two way ability. Flame me, because in my opinion Barnes is only putting up stats because he's an option on a lackluster team.

You won't get flamed by me. I disagree wholeheartedly with your position, especially the Wagner part, but credit to you for owning your stance. Cheers.

People will continue to be disappointed and call him a failure because they are expecting him to put up 30ppg as a 22 year old.

This team has had zero consistency, and now he's the focal point of opposing defences, and we're expecting him to just adjust immediately with zero impact. I'm fine if people want to say he's not a #1 option, but to discount the instability of the team, his role on it, and how opponents treat him, it's just stupid.

IQ has become a starter, playing 8mpg more and is putting up 2ppg and 3.5apg more, does that mean he's a failure? RJ has taken a huge step forward in his production since getting here, does that make him the greatest player ever?

For all the talk about patience and trusting in Masai, there's a whole host of people who suddenly have zero patience when it comes to a 22 year old putting up Giannis year 3 numbers. I want to say I'm surprised at how petulant some people on here are, but it's really not shocking at all, just disappointing.

And naturally all that's ever pointed out are offensive stats, lets completely ignore the other half of the game where he is the best defender on the team, and routinely taking on the hardest defensive assignments. Just either bad team fans, or uneducated basketball fans. Neither of which are something to aspire to be.

The Scottie haters want him to fail so they can go "Ha! i told you so! Tanking doesn't work!" If Scottie becomes a star, their entire position falls apart. They'll continue to come out of the woodwork after every bad Scottie game because they're petty and they need these small "wins" to feel good about themselves.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,604

Post#100 » by Scase » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:03 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Scase wrote:
MiamiSPX wrote:

The Scottie haters want him to fail so they can go "Ha! i told you so! Tanking doesn't work!" If Scottie becomes a star, their entire position falls apart. They'll continue to come out of the woodwork after every bad Scottie game because they're petty and they need these small "wins" to feel good about themselves.

I love it, they want him to fail and the team objectively will be worse, and set us back for years. Yet cheering for losses while tanking is what "fake fans" do lol.

Too many people around here are unwilling to change their minds on things or admit fault, and it's kinda sad. It's like politics, people picking a side, and defending everything their side does, good or bad, it's tiresome.

My foes list has grown more in the past few weeks than any time in the past. The board used to be so much better for discussion back in the day.
Props TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors